Kings-Nuggets discuss Watson for Bonzi Deal (merged)

many in this thread have suggested the nuggets just throwing in nene into a bonzi-watson deal (or whatever that rumor was). my comment was directed their way.

Other teams are approaching desperation. George Karl's impatience likely means the Nuggets will do something, and one rumor that was bubbling at near-boil in Houston over All-Star Weekend had Bonzi Wells going from Sacramento to Denver, in exchange for Earl Watson and Voshon Lenard. That one doesn't seem to make much sense for the Nuggets. Wells is not a shooter, he is a slasher, much like Carmelo Anthony. If it does happen, it will help the Kings make a sprint to the finish, with a No. 7 or No. 8 playoff seed the goal.
One thing is clear: Wells couldn't mess up the chemistry in Denver any more than it already is. The Nuggets seem to be the most fractured team in the West, teammates unhappy with teammates, and not real keen on Karl, either.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA022206.8C.COL.BKNmonroe.12d985d9.html

Watson would definitely help us a lot.

Kings113 said:
May of just lost Watson to Seattle for three tender-offer benchers... see NBA forum.
Watson is cool, but you have to admit we would have been getting screwed to give up Bonzi Wells for Earl Watson. A 10-15 minute backup making the FULL MLE. Another deal, in fact I predict MANY deals will or have come along for Bonzi. We'll just have to see if Petrie bites on any of them.

Wasn't saying it with a real preference to this deal, was just updating further on the possibility of us getting him going down to near zero.

Agreed on other deals...

I am all for trading Bonzi. They guy has been out since Dec 19th-came back on my b-day jan 31st and then went out again Feb 3rd. Which means to me he has played 2 games out of the past 64 days. His groin is healed, I think Petrie is telling him he will be traded b4 the deadline, and that is why he hasn't comeback since Utah. It has been 3 weeks since that groin got reaggravated.

Reasons to trade Bonzi------

1. Don't need him to stunt the growth of the yougs guys martin and garcia
2. Risk the chance of getting nothing for him(a la cuttino mobley)
3. Realize the guy is 30, and in a contract year playing for the last good contract of his career.
4. The guys best season was 17.5pts a game 4 seasons ago, and that Kevin has the potential at 23 to be a 20+ pt/gm scorer for many seasons to come.
5. Him and Artest are 2 alike-and we don't need a 2-3 low post combo-maybe a 3-4 but not a 2-3.
6. Keeping him means we are playing for this season, and this season only, versus trading him means we get quality players that can help us out in many ways as Bonzi hasn't done crap for us in over 2 months.
7. Getting Earl Watson allows us to get a starting quality PG who plays hella good D, for 1/2 the price of bibby. In Bibbys last season he will make 14.5mil---tell me right now without being biased that Bibbys play is worth $8 mil more than watson. I would say not.
8. Which leads me to my next point, trade the weakest link on D, and the guy who has shot the 2 lowest percentages of his career after Webber has left, for a young and hella good C or PF.

nbrans said:
I think the key is getting Nene. If the Kings can get Nene in a Watson deal they will be relatively set at the 4/5 -- assuming Nene fulfills his potential as a lane clogger. Then they could use Bibby to upgrade another position -- for example as part of a trade for Ray Allen. A Watson/Allen/Artest/Nene/Miller lineup with Martin, Garcia and SAR off the bench would be extremely good defensively and offensively, inside and outside. They'd have to be taken seriously.
This post seems very deja vu to me for some reason.

King4Life said:
If Watson is good enough to start, I would only deal Bibby for Pierce and not Ray Allen. Pierce is younger, a better rebounder, defender, and his contract isn't as bad. Kevin Garnett is out of the question as most already know.
Seriously you wouldn't trade bibby for Allen? the age factor for me seems almost negligible. Allen at 30 or 31(whatever) is still a specimen, damn near like Jordan. he can shoot lights out, run the floor, basically everything bibby can do but better.

BigSong said:

Seriously you wouldn't trade bibby for Allen? the age factor for me seems almost negligible. Allen at 30 or 31(whatever) is still a specimen, damn near like Jordan. he can shoot lights out, run the floor, basically everything bibby can do but better.
I wouldn't.

Let's say the Bonzi deal does happen.

Watson
31 year old with bad contract Allen
Artest
Shareef
Miller

Intriging, but not a very good long-term plan.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
What if Geoff could convince Bonzi that he cannot get as big a contract as he is worth because of his injuries this year? In a contract year, you really want to show off your game, so as to get as large a contract as possible.

I really would like to keep Bonzi this year and see how he plays with Artest. Those couple of games didn't really count (we were missing Brad because he had just broken his thumb). At the same time, I do not want to lose Bonzi to free agency and get nothing in return.

Best case scenario in my mind. We keep Bonzi. Bonzi signs a 1 yr contract with us, hoping he can get multi-year contract for better money next year. I absolutely do not expect it would happen this way, but I am dreaming. :D

BigSong said:

Ray Allen is older, has a big contract, and he's not that good on the defensive end. A trade for Ray Allen or Paul Pierce would require more than Bibby, anyway. Pierce is not close to the shooter Ray Allen is, but his defense, rebounding, and shorter contract make him a better choice.

A line-up with Watson, Allen, Artest, Shareef, and Miller is missing the rebounding and defense that Bonzi brought. That same line-up with Pierce instead of Allen loses outside shooting, but Pierce will bring the scoring punch Bibby produced and the defense and rebounds Bonzi brought to the table.

Only 3 hours left. I doubt anythings is going to be done. Bonzi hasn't been on the court really in months besides one game. A GM wants to be sure of what he's giving up and what he's getting. I didn't now about Watson's salary till this morning. I don't think Petrie and the Maloofs want to take that on. So, I don't think that any trades will be made. Only 3 hours left to have the paperwork into the league office.