Kings-Nuggets discuss Watson for Bonzi Deal (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Entity said:
i can see where the new format is going to get confusing when something big comes up such as this sure its a personnel move but its also big kings news in general so where does it go???
This isn't big news...yet. It's a trade rumor. It goes in the Personnel Moves forum.

If it became fact, then it would go in the main forum.

What we're doing is trying to separate the plethora of trade rumors, trade proposals, etc. so people who enjoy them won't have to put up with the complaints of those who don't and those who don't like them won't have to wade through tons of them to find real news.

It may take a little getting used to but it works quite well at a number of other sites and should do fine here.

VF21 said:
I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this move. It addresses the gaping black hole at backup PG, it moves Bonzi so he doesn't just walk, I won't have a seizure seeing Jason Hart come onto the court, and it gives us a 3 pt. threat.
There is no question that Watson would upgrade our backup point guard position, he is a very good defensive player and has turned into a decent shooter as well. There is the possibility of Bonzi leaving in the offseason, but I would like to see what he and Artest could do on the floor together. Bonzi is a tough player and probably our best rebounder and unless we get a big man, I wouldn't want to trade Bonzi just yet.

DocHolliday said:
That's insane to think there is any problem with Bonzi's attitude or citizenship.

Lets just keep this one filed away for later...

Who would have thought six months ago that ANYONE, ANYWHERE would make a statment like this Doc? How about if we let the jury be out. This is the same guy who refused to play in games for Hubie Brown, and who chucked a basketball the length of the court in Portland to hit Ruben Boumchey Boumchey (no time to google up the spelling) in the back of the head.

If you believe he's reformed, that's cool. To say it is insane to suggest there is a potential problem with his attitude and citizenship is a bit of a pollyannaish (no time to google up the spelling) point of view imo.

I actually never thought there would be a problem with Bonzi. Last year he was very calm. He even said he does not know why he was not allowed to play in the playoffs. It seems the coach had a thing out for him. He didn't do much last season. Bring up everything you want from Portland, that's the past. Not even the last team he was on before the Kings.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Bonzi was great for our team with Peja. I thought he was our best player before he got hurt. But now with Ron Artest instead of Peja. Now you need to spread the floor with Martin or Garcia. Sure people will say why didn't we keep Peja then. Well for 1 Artest is better than Bonzi and 2 Martin and Garcia have something Peja never had that was Ball handling and the ability to dribble penetrate and go above the rim and finish around the basket. Our team is very athletic with Martin in the lineup. Now i would love to keep Bonzi he is perfect for what we would need to come off the Bench. Only problem with that is will Bonzi come off the bench. can you imagine Martin and Artest starting and coming off with Bonzi and Garcia. Its like you never lose a step.

As much as I would love to have Nene included in the deal, the rumored Watson/Lenard deal makes a lot of sense from a salary point of view. Kings would be right around the $62 million luxury tax threshold. I'm a big fan of Earl Watson -- he's the best defensive point guard in the NBA, he's a good floor general and he has an improved jump shot. Great if the Kings could also get Nene by including one of the Philly players, but I'd be satisfied with just Watson.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Corlis works in the same trade for NeNe. but he is a FA and what if he wants alot of $ during the summer we can't very well offer him alot not seeing him play with out team and coming off a knee injury. But with The Big Nasty Coaches Decision Corlis its not much of a loss to take that gamble. hmmmm there is that word again. Maybe we could throw in hart for a 2nd round pick in 2012 or something or some new shoe laces

Entity

Hall of Famer
Sacramento Kings

Incoming Players
Nene Hilario
Salary: $3,039,889 Years Remaining: 0
PTS: 0.0 REB: 0.0 AST: 0.0 PER: -54.77

Earl Watson
Salary: $5,000,000 Years Remaining: 4
PTS: 7.7 REB: 1.9 AST: 3.5 PER: 13.19

Voshon Lenard
Salary: $3,520,000 Years Remaining: 0
PTS: 8.3 REB: 2.3 AST: 1.5 PER: 10.27

Outgoing Players: Bonzi Wells, Corliss WilliamsonDenver Nuggets

Incoming Players
Bonzi Wells
Salary: $8,000,000 Years Remaining: 0
PTS: 14.6 REB: 7.9 AST: 3.1 PER: 15.96

Corliss Williamson
Salary: $6,000,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 4.1 REB: 2.0 AST: 0.4 PER: 9.45

Outgoing Players: Nene Hilario, Earl Watson, Voshon Lenard

It works since a 2nd rd pick for Hart worked for us from Charolette it should work in this as well or maybe we throw in Sampson for some flavor

Sorry for the double post, won't let me edit.

Why not Bonzi + a pick for Nene and Watson, straight up? Denver keeps their expriring contract in Lenerd, clears out lots of salary in one move, gives Bonzi a tryout for next year. At this point I can't imagine they could ask much more for an unproven injured big man and an underplayed backup PG. It gives us even more congestion in the frontcourt (meaning that SAR/KT need to go) but I think improves the team a whole lot.

captain bill said:

Why not Bonzi + a pick for Nene and Watson, straight up? Denver keeps their expriring contract in Lenerd, clears out lots of salary in one move, gives Bonzi a tryout for next year. At this point I can't imagine they could ask much more for an unproven injured big man and an underplayed backup PG. It gives us even more congestion in the frontcourt (meaning that SAR/KT need to go) but I think improves the team a whole lot.
In order for the Kings to stay under the tax threshold, or reasonably near it, I think they might need to include Corliss or Skinner if they're going to get Nene. If Denver were to take on Corliss, the Kings could let Lenard go in the offseason and have a reasonable shot at signing Nene at a salary starting around $6-$7 million a year. The Kings next year would be pretty damn awesome:

PG: Bibby, Watson, Price
SG: Martin, Garcia, draftee
SF: Artest, Garcia, draftee
PF: SAR, KT, Skinner
C: Miller, Nene

Entity

Hall of Famer
captain bill said:

we need lenard in the deal to have another guy coming off the bench that can shoot the 3 even if he never plays you don't want to be stuck if an injury comes about

DocHolliday said:
I actually never thought there would be a problem with Bonzi. Last year he was very calm. He even said he does not know why he was not allowed to play in the playoffs. It seems the coach had a thing out for him. He didn't do much last season. Bring up everything you want from Portland, that's the past. Not even the last team he was on before the Kings.
Exactly how I feel.

Agreed with 'Brans, like that deal.

Last edited:
nbrans said:
In order for the Kings to stay under the tax threshold, or reasonably near it, I think they might need to include Corliss or Skinner if they're going to get Nene. If Denver were to take on Corliss, the Kings could let Lenard go in the offseason and have a reasonable shot at signing Nene at a salary starting around $6-$7 million a year. The Kings next year would be pretty damn awesome:

PG: Bibby, Watson, Price
SG: Martin, Garcia, draftee
SF: Artest, Garcia, draftee
PF: SAR, KT, Skinner
C: Miller, Nene
Problem is I don't think Denver is going to accept that deal. Maybe throw in Skinner to replace Nene, but you have to consider the salary implications from Denver's perspective. Lenard is an expiring contract, no way Denver will add on Corliss' huge contract. I think Denver would much rather clear out cap space than take on a big contract for a little improvement in talent. Getting Lenard might be nice, but no one parts for expiring contracts for nothin.

A

AriesMar27

id do the bonzi for watson/lenard deal by itself..... lenard and hart come off the books this season and we could send price to the nbdl next season..... martin and garcia get there minutes and we have a good back up in watson..... then corliss comes off the books and we'd have no one to resign....

and if we dont make the playoffs this season we'd get a good draft pick and dont sign anyone in the offseason we'd be set.... hopefully we can trade thomas for someone useful.... young and useful.....

Nah, I definatly will not do that. Bonzi and Ron combo will be the bomb in the future. I think if we can trade a Hart and Corliss for like Earl Watson by himself. Plus, Bonzi is worth way more than those.

I don't like it either. Watson can only play the pg position. Meaning he wouldn't get significant minutes behind Bibby. I'd say that would leave around 9-10 minutes of play a game for him. Not effective enough to replace Bonzi. Not only that, but that also takes away from Cisco's minutes. No thanks...

F

Fillmoe

this is a good trade for both teams.... bonzi will prolly look for whats best for him and his family in the offseason.... and i dont think sacramento wants to give him alot of money... also we are really lacking a solid backup PG, even though garcia has been doing a decent job.... SG is prolly our strongest spot on the roster.... we could use watson and voshon as perimter threats.... it would make us better....

I am not sure about this deal.

I would absolutely LOVE to get Watson. I would do Watson and Nene for Bonzi and a future pick. Lenard would give us 3pt shooter but he would take away minutes from Garcia and Martin.

I don't know why people think Voshon is going to take away minutes from Kevin and Garcia. I don't think they can play 48 minutes a game, it might take away minutes from Fransisco but it'd just give Kevin a breather. Not to mention we need a shooter off the bench(our 3 point shooting SUCKS). I don't know if I like this deal or not anymore. I like the players coming back, but I think we can get more for Bonzi. It'd make our team better because it fills some holes, atleast in my opinion. But I think that we could trade Bonzi for a player of more value that would make our team even better than this trade would. If we get to the playoffs Mike will be burned out, but if we add Watson he wouldn't be. Voshon could be a good 8 points off the bench in around 15 minutes and hit a couple open 3s. Kevin would get the experience that(assuming we make the playoffs) would be very valuable to him in the playoffs. Garcia can come in for Artest.

Another thing is I wish we could get better at the 4, atleast get a rebounder/shotblocker/post defender. Would a combo of Reef+Bonzi be enough for one?

BMiller52 said:
I don't know why people think Voshon is going to take away minutes from Kevin and Garcia. I don't think they can play 48 minutes a game, it might take away minutes from Fransisco but it'd just give Kevin a breather. Not to mention we need a shooter off the bench(our 3 point shooting SUCKS). I don't know if I like this deal or not anymore. I like the players coming back, but I think we can get more for Bonzi. It'd make our team better because it fills some holes, atleast in my opinion. But I think that we could trade Bonzi for a player of more value that would make our team even better than this trade would. If we get to the playoffs Mike will be burned out, but if we add Watson he wouldn't be. Voshon could be a good 8 points off the bench in around 15 minutes and hit a couple open 3s. Kevin would get the experience that(assuming we make the playoffs) would be very valuable to him in the playoffs. Garcia can come in for Artest.

Another thing is I wish we could get better at the 4, atleast get a rebounder/shotblocker/post defender. Would a combo of Reef+Bonzi be enough for one?
What makes you think that Lenard would only play 15 minutes and off the bench??????

Adelman likes his veterans and if he has a choice between playing a proven veteran or a kid, then he always goes with the veteran. Add to that the fact that Lenard is one of the best 3 pt threats in the league and he is assured more than 15 minutes a game.

If this trade does happen, Martin's minutes will go down and Cisco's minutes would diminish significantly because Watson would play the back up PG and at times, I see Adelman running with Watson-Bibby backcourt. If we get Lenard one of the youngsters will be relegated to the status of a cheerleader.

That would be a bad trade for the Kings. We need a backup PG, but trading Bonzi is like grossly overpaying for one. And Voshon's conditioning is horrid.

Plus, Denver needs outside shooters... why would they go for Bonzi?

P

playmaker0017

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

Bonzi and Artest sounds great, but the problem is that they play the same style of offense. They prefer the post and aren't consistant deep threats. Bonzi is a better defender than Martin, but not overly so.

It would all but clog the lane.

I'd move Bonzi now while he has value.

Plus, Watson is a true PG and might be good for us - especially if he delivers. Watson is a better defender than Bibby and a better PG than Bibby. If he shows some mettle, it might open us up to moving Bibby, which I'd also be for if we could find a suitable trade piece we need. Perhaps something like Bibby for Przybilla and Telfair, or some such. Watching Garcia at PG is great, but Garcia ISN'T a PG.

Out of site, out of mind? Man, fans are short-sighted.

Just b/c Bonzi Wells is injured, K-Mart shows some skillz, fans are ready to ship him out for a 3rd stringer with a bloated contract....when the consensus was Bonzi was our BEST player the first part of the season.

And back-up point guard is not the glaring weakness it once was with Hart getting those minutes. Cisco has been providing great energy of late, and running the team just fine. Having Ron-Ron as a secondary ball-handler helps a lot too. And when Bonzi does return, Cisco will have to play at the point if he is to get decent minutes on the court.

I think fans are remembering Bonzi turnover woes too when he came back. That had to be an anomaly related to lack of timing and testing the groin for first time in real competition.

I am not opposed to trading Bonzi, but we can do better than Earl Watson.

People need to look at this trade from a financial perspective. The Kings are not going to sign Bonzi to a big money long contract. With Martin coming along, this team needs a defensive big man and a backup point guard more than another shooting guard. It is true that the current deal package would be a steal for the Nuggets. Thus, the Kings should ask for Nene.

Last edited:
nbrans said:
As much as I would love to have Nene included in the deal, the rumored Watson/Lenard deal makes a lot of sense from a salary point of view. Kings would be right around the $62 million luxury tax threshold. I'm a big fan of Earl Watson -- he's the best defensive point guard in the NBA, he's a good floor general and he has an improved jump shot. Great if the Kings could also get Nene by including one of the Philly players, but I'd be satisfied with just Watson.

Is that why George Karl played Andre Miller and Earl Boykins exclusively at the point, and Watson could not see the light of day until injury?

If he was the best defensive PG in the NBA, shouldn't that count for something in the way of playing time.

Watson was a totalbrick layer in the playoffs last year. Shot like 19%.
Let's see: he plays great defense and his shot has improved. Don't we already have a scrub on our roster named Jason Hart fitting that description?

bench_blob said:
Is that why George Karl played Andre Miller and Earl Boykins exclusively at the point, and Watson could not see the light of day until injury?

If he was the best defensive PG in the NBA, shouldn't that count for something in the way of playing time.

Watson was a totalbrick layer in the playoffs last year. Shot like 19%.
Let's see: he plays great defense and his shot has improved. Don't we already have a scrub on our roster named Jason Hart fitting that description?
Exactly, exactly, and exactly. I don't get this trade at all if it happens. Watson is good, but Watson and Leonard for Bonzi? I know we have a problem with our backup pointguard, but to give up a starting 2 for a backup 1? Martin is doing great, but he's filling in because Bonzi is injured and I rather see him coming off the bench and doing his thing. Garcia handling backup pg pretty well, and even though he's not a true PG yet, I would love to see him develop into one.

Bad, bad deal for the Kings. Watson is an interesting prospect, but no way do we give Bonzi up for him. Lenard is kinda over the hill at this point.

This is a good trade for the Kings. First of all, we don't want another Cat Mobley situation where Bonzi just walks and we get nothing in return. The chances of that happening are high IMO with Martin's emergence. Why would Bonzi want to stay around when he's looking over his shoulder at the future? Bonzi has been a great "person" this year, but in the past the problems surface when he doesn't start or when his minutes get trimmed and that's what would happen with him and Martin. Adding Watson makes complete sense. He is a great backup point guard who could start for many teams. He has a great all around game and if a deal came across GP's desk that involved Mike then Watson could easily step into the starting spot. Leonard is just a throw in and his salary comes off the books this year. If he were to get any minutes with us he would essentially do what Peja was doing for us this year-hanging around the 3 point arc waiting for a pass.

Sure, it would be great to have Bonzi and Ron together and it would be nice to see what they could do, but the deadline is this Thursday and if we want to see what they can do together then we risk losing Bonzi for nothing...not worth the risk. Also, Bonzi and Artest may tend to bog down the offensive since they both have very similar games in which they favor the low post. Although it would be tough to see Bonzi leave this deal makes sense now and for the future.