[Game] Kings @ Nets 1-21 12:30pt/3:30et

Meh, we’re still a few years away. That’s okay. It’s nice that expectations have risen to the point where we care about wins and losses. Bagley looked more comfortable than he has in awhile. The form on his 3 looks nice, that will fall with consistency someday soon.

With Shump unable to hit water from a boat, I’d like to let everyone know Carmelo Anthony is now available.

:p
Obviously a joke but truthfully, if the Kings are determined to play the way they are then not having at least one more iso scorer isn't an option. Being able to face up and create out of the wing spot, and more specifically combo F is somewhat of an answer.

Nemanja should be play more than 5 minutes and get more shots IMO. it’s not like we have a ton of frontcourt scoring, considering the fact that we aren’t playing the young guys enough minutes

Nemanja should be play more than 5 minutes and get more shots IMO. it’s not like we have a ton of frontcourt scoring, considering the fact that we aren’t playing the young guys enough minutes
It’s too much for him. He has no motor and doesn’t want to play.

Shump at least has heart, it’s just the talent lacks

Bjelica looks like he will be a bad contract at this pace, and I don’t know if he will give good backup minutes

Bjelica looks like he will be a bad contract at this pace, and I don’t know if he will give good backup minutes

He's had his role gobbled up and gets yanked after 4 minutes, he should be jumping for joy? The fact remains, his shooting ability keeps defenses honest. That and where he prefers to set up offensively opens things up. One day Giles and Bagley should be decent shooters but in the current NBA, not being able to shoot from both big spots isn't an option. It just isn't.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

While I don’t agree with no motor and doesn’t want to play, I am thinking the experiment is close to ending.

He will be a bench player soon (right?), and it will be interesting to see how he responds.

OK, here are some shots that symbolize where things can go right and why the Kings refusing to take the path of least resistance could spell disaster both short and long term.

Teams are gift wrapping the Kings certain options and yet they consistently turn their nose up at it and go head first into a wall again and again.

vlcsnap-2019-01-21-15h08m13s875.jpg

The Nets did this and other teams are starting to track the Kings pick and roll like this. You can't let teams zone you like that and place this kind of emphasis on your pick and roll without dominating them until they adjust. Which the Kings did at the end of the 2nd quarter after getting down thanks in large part to the shooting they had on the floor.

vlcsnap-2019-01-21-158m13s875.jpg

The Kings stack the strong side with shooting. The Nets are dead in the water. Bogdan has multiple options.

vlcsnap-2019-01-218m13s875.jpg

Now that 3 defender pile pays for it. Bogdan is in a true triple threat position, here he finds Willie. In the 3rd the Kings allowed almost everything the Nets wanted defensively and then some. Inexcusable. Now, in this set, imagine Fox in place of Bogdan and Bogdan in place of either Jackson or Shump. That's dangerous. Like, sucks to be you dangerous.

Bjeli didn’t see the court again after his awful start. Will be interesting to see if Bagley gets the start in the second half.

I think if Bjeli has more efforts like that he can fall out of the rotation completely... when he’s bad he’s nearly unplayable.
good thing Bjelica played only 5 minutes this game or we would have lost by 60 instead of by 30! Kings were scoring too few points with him on the floor and the Nets way too much!

Obviously a joke but truthfully, if the Kings are determined to play the way they are then not having at least one more iso scorer isn't an option. Being able to face up and create out of the wing spot, and more specifically combo F is somewhat of an answer.

Who is their first ISO player?Don’t tell me Hield or Fox. Neither can break any one down one on one.
Hield is a great shooter. That’s where the conversation ends.

Right now defenses are focusing on Hield.

Fox does not scare anyone.
He’s either deferring or trying to get in the paint 1 on 2. His mental game concerns me.

He checks in and out. Too much Hero BS sometimes. His jawing at the refs so early in his career. Not a good look.

good thing Bjelica played only 5 minutes this game or we would have lost by 60 instead of by 30! Kings were scoring too few points with him on the floor and the Nets way too much!
Well, I guess it's fair to say that all the fanfare for Belly early in the season has dried up. Everyone thought the KINGS had found an undervalued player that could do a lot more than he was asked -- and for a while he did -- but it seems the status quo and the reason(s) Minny allowed him to depart have returned.

It ends for you cause it's clear your refusing to see. Buddy is much more than just a great shooter. He's also able to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket or make plays for others. Is he elite at it? No. But he's more than capable. And that's a good thing since he draws so much attention out on the perimeter. He's pretty darn good in transition and finishing. Also, he's active when the ball isn't in his hands. He moves, cuts and tracks rebounds and makes lots of hustle plays. That's also a good thing. He also plays pretty good defense at times. Even Kobe Bryant has commented on Buddy's game and sees a lot more to it than you do.

So please stop with this nonsense.

On this point, for now, I do agree with you. De'Aaron has been in a funk for a while. His shots are consistently short or long. He has lost confidence in his jumper again. Even his touch around the rim on drives to the basket has been erratic. That's why he's largely been deferring. He might make 1 or 2, but then it goes away. We haven't seen him get hot and string a bunch together in a while. Even his defense has regressed. He's getting beat and/or overpowered often.

As I said a week or so ago, IDK if he has tired legs from nearly 50 games of pushing pace or what. But I am officially becoming concerned.

Last edited:
I can't remember the Kings ever winning one of these noon games.

I think it's Fox's shoulder that's bothering him more than the pace of the game.

The second half of this season probably won't be as good as the first. The scouting report is out and all teams have to do is drive on the Kings all game and they can practically score at will. The Kings offer up nearly zero rim protection and when they attempt it they get called for fouls.

On the other end of the court, the Kings have no one other than Fox that can really drive. It's one of the main reasons why this team rarely shoots free throws. No one gets to the line outside of Bagley and Fox.

One other comment with regard to today's game, as a long time WCS supporter, I'm officially on strike defending him on the defensive end of the floor. It's infuriating how many times the opposition is driving into the paint, without fear, and scoring against him. There were several plays today when Willie was in the paint in good position to defend the drive and they'd get by him for a layup. That just shouldn't happen consistently. But it is. He's too long and too athletic for that.

I can't remember the Kings ever winning one of these noon games.
IDK why that is either. I actually attended the KING-Clips game at this time last year down in LA. They were dead in that game too.

The scouting report is out and all teams have to do is drive on the Kings all game and they can practically score at will. The Kings offer up nearly zero rim protection and when they attempt it they get called for fouls.
I was in the midst of my last post before I read this one. We seem to agree on this point. It's beyond ridiculous.

On the other end of the court, the Kings have no one other than Fox that can really drive. It's one of the main reasons why this team rarely shoots free throws. No one gets to the line outside of Bagley and Fox.
I disagree that Fox is the only one. Both Buddy and BoBo can do it. We've seen it. But they often fall in love with their jump shots which is why we don't see it often enough. And specifically for BoBo, when he does drive, he usually ends up passing or lobbing for another player. I also think Marvin Bagley can drive when he ISO's out on the perimeter. Giles can do the same, but is still a work in progress. JJ drives as well, but doesn't drive to finish at the rim and almost always goes soft with a runner.

Let's face it guys -- other than Buddy and BoBo, this team has quite a few players that are shooting poorly thus have lost confidence in their jump shots. Most notably De'Aaron, Nemanja and WCS. None of them have confidence shooting from 10 feet and beyond.

I do feel that it's time to start MB3. This team needs a spark. IDC if Coach replaces Belly or Willie in the lineup. But one of them needs to come off the bench. It's time for Marvin to hit center stage. The timing is perfect for this move. The team is flat. They just aren't scoring as they once were and the interior defense is atrocious.

Bags provides an interior presence on both ends of the floor. While far from a finished product, obviously, he'll contest more shots than WCS and rebounds it better. He can score around the basket with an array of different moves and is at least somewhat of a threat to hit a perimeter shot now and then. Most of all, he gets to the FT line more than pretty much anyone else on the team.

The time should be now. The KINGS need to salvage this roadie by winning at least 1 more game.

Who is their first ISO player?Don’t tell me Hield or Fox. Neither can break any one down one on one.

Right now defenses are focusing on Hield.

He’s either deferring or trying to get in the paint 1 on 2. His mental game concerns me.

He checks in and out. Too much Hero BS sometimes. His jawing at the refs so early in his career. Not a good look.

They both break people down all the time. Neither are truly great triple threat players but Buddy and Fox both have go to level one on one moves (Buddy's step back and Fox's speed) just not a bunch of them and some of their shortcomings is why your offensive structure is even more important. The spacing is even more critical.

Let's face it guys -- other than Buddy and BoBo, this team has quite a few players that are shooting poorly thus have lost confidence in their jump shots. Most notably De'Aaron, Nemanja and WCS. None of them have confidence shooting from 10 feet and beyond.

I do feel that it's time to start MB3. This team needs a spark. IDC if Coach replaces Belly or Willie in the lineup. But one of them needs to come off the bench. It's time for Marvin to hit center stage. The timing is perfect for this move. The team is flat. They just aren't scoring as they once were and the interior defense is atrocious.

Bags provides an interior presence on both ends of the floor. While far from a finished product, obviously, he'll contest more shots than WCS and rebounds it better. He can score around the basket with an array of different moves and is at least somewhat of a threat to hit a perimeter shot now and then. Most of all, he gets to the FT line more than pretty much anyone else on the team.

The time should be now. The KINGS need to salvage this roadie by winning at least 1 more game.
Is it the chicken or the egg though? I see a team that far too often goes away from their shooting identity rather than one that run towards it as part of a gameplan. The facts are the facts and this team losing because they aren't hitting the shot they should be taking is much better than attempting to get the shots that won't yield much to begin with.

I'm still not sure about Bagley and Willie together, you can't have pace without space. Joerger is in a tough spot for sure because allowing players like Harry and Marvin to get better as individuals is starting to interfere with his ability to follow a game plan.

I’d start Jackson as well as Bagley, not that Joerger won’t take his time with these moves. I don’t think production would be less, and it would be more entertaining from the fans perspective. Better for the org too to see what they can do

They both break people down all the time. Neither are truly great triple threat players but Buddy and Fox both have go to level one on one moves (Buddy's step back and Fox's speed) just not a bunch of them and some of their shortcomings is why your offensive structure is even more important. The spacing is even more critical.

Your logic is flawed.

To be a great ISO player. You need to have 2 inherent qualities.

1. Outstanding ball handling
2. Great shooting

A. Hield is a great shooter. He can’t break anyone down that is above average defensively, because he can’t handle the ball.

B. Fox: Has Decent handles. But, he cannot shoot the ball. Does he really have a mid range and long range consistent game? No.

Your logic is flawed..
No, yours is.

First, Buddy isn't an 'ISO' player. For the most part, most the players Vlade has assembled are 'team' players that move the ball. He's not building an ISO heavy team -- even though there are times when it's needed.

And Buddy CAN handle the ball and drive by defenders when they react to his jump shot. He can finish at the rim. He can make plays for his teammates. You're flat wrong about him. Can he put on a dribbling display a la James Harden? NO. Can he create for teammates like LeBron James? NO. That's not his game or what the KINGS want him to do. But he can put the ball on the floor w/o being a liability.

You're making him sound as if he's merely a spot shooter a la Kyle Korver which he is not. He's much more than that. But that doesn't mean anyone is saying he's Kobe Bryant either. It's not 100% one way or the other. It's more in between.

Namanja only played 5 minutes. The problem was Joeger’s small ball line-up.