Kings, Mavericks Interested In Trading Down

It all depends on what the offer is. I'm sure there would be a certain offer level where you would pull the trigger on a trade too.
I know what you are saying but the reality is no one but us would do this. Or another way to put this is, no one would offer us what would be a no brainer deal for us to give up our second pick.

Say we get Mo Bamba and what is projected to be a top 5 pick next year (its a weak class really). Welcome to a whole year of watching Porter or Bagley or Doncic light it up.

The draft gods never bless us like this. You take this chip. You run as fast as you can and you cash it in...at the draft by picking the player which you deem has the highest potential

Great draft to trade down in and get that #1 back next year
No it’s not. Next years draft will be much weaker than this current one. This is THE draft you want to have picks in.

I’m not advocating trading down at all. The only way I’d consider it is for another pick in this draft rather than for one in 2019. This draft is so much better.

If ATL wanted to give us #3 and #19 because they are fearful we might trade #2 to another team that would then take JJJ or whomever, then I’d be all about it. But any trade that takes them out of the top 5 or adds a pick for next season is a no go for me.

The Kings finally get handed a Ferrari pick and they might want to trade it for an Audi? I don’t get it.

No it’s not. Next years draft will be much weaker than this current one. This is THE draft you want to have picks in.

I’m not advocating trading down at all. The only way I’d consider it is for another pick in this draft rather than for one in 2019. This draft is so much better.
This is a draft where you can get an equally talented prospect at two thru six. So if someone right below you falls in love with a guy that you're so so on you can move back and still get a stud.

This is a draft where you can get an equally talented prospect at two thru six. So if someone right below you falls in love with a guy that you're so so on you can move back and still get a stud.
Maybe, maybe not. All 6 of these players aren’t likely to pan out. So being in position to take the one you believe in most is a huge advantage IMO. And securing an unknown pick in a weaker draft next season isnt enough to incentivize giving up that advantage.

I don't think the FO will trade Fox. However, just from guessing, here's the scenarios:
1. Kings draft Doncic at #2, absolutely love him and also see him more of a LEGITIMATE pg. He'll take over the PG duties which makes Fox expendable. Kings would use #6 on Mikal Bridges who would theoretically guard PGs allowing Doncic to stick on SFs. Mikal would be a great fit with Doncic, Bogdan, and Buddy.

2. Kings love Young and see him as a franchise player. We draft him at #6, and use the #2 pick on an elite big man in Ayton, Bagley, or Jackson Jr.

Young is a very very very talented PG. He was an elite scorer in college, and many hope to see him do that in the NBA.
Why does taking Young preclude you from taking Doncic? You like to talk about fit a lot and how Fox and Doncic won't work for some reason, why would Young/Doncic be any worse?

Young
Bogdan || Buddy
Doncic
???
WCS

I have many, many, many, many qualms about how Trae is going to translate to this level, but man you gotta love that shooting/playmaking back-court potential of those 4. Everyone can shoot, everyone can be a playmaker. Go throw all our money at Marcus Smart and you got all your basis covered (in theory).

I don't want to trade Fox, but Trae is the only reason you'd do it and just "admitting" a mistake, regardless of what happens at 2.

Again, I don't necessarily believe anything around draft time. But I'll repeat the same thing I've said over and over around this draft:

Can the Kings please just not screw this up this time? Can they just nail the draft for once?

I feel like Charlie Brown with the football when it comes to this team. I was about as disinterested as I've ever been in the Kings this last season and yet they land the #2 pick and I'm sucked right back in. But if this all goes sideways I think it's time for me to take an extended break. . .
Yes but there was the invisible Charlie Brown episode where he kicked that damn ball:cool:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If the Kings are truly in asset stacking mode perhaps we'll get a project in the 2nd rd? Anfernee Simons :p
I'd say it's almost a guarantee we'll get a project in the second round if we keep that pick. Second round players are almost always projects and most of them either never make it to the NBA or they're gone within 2 or 3 years.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Isn't that why you want to pick second instead of sixth? If they're all similar talents, at least that way you guarantee you're getting the best possible fit for your roster out of all of them.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not really onboard with the Kings trading down.

But picking up another pick? Absolutely. If Denver would really part with #14 to get Faried off their books then if a guy I like is on the board I'd do that deal even if it meant waiving Manimal and eating his $14 million this season.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? Yeah, that's a guy I'd make that deal for. Maybe Knox or Robert Williams too.

"Multiple league front-office executives" doesn't mean a damned thing.
I'm not going to re-read the article but wasn't what you quoted followed by a disclaimer that no one really knows what the Kings are going to do?

Edit: different article. Multiple articles have alluded to the Kings being a question mark because no one knows what they're going to do. Meaning sources are hard to come by from within the Kings camp.

Isn't that why you want to pick second instead of sixth? If they're all similar talents, at least that way you guarantee you're getting the best possible fit for your roster out of all of them.
Maybe, maybe not. Makes it much easier to pull a Danny Ainge and move down a few spots if there are a couple of guys you'd be just as happy with. Bamba, jjj, Bagley, Doncic... That's four guys that could go as high as two or as low as six right there.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Exactly! It’s The Ringer. Multiple front offices means Danny Ainge and Daryl Morey talking nonsense.
It's the Ringer. That means it's Bill Simmons. That phrase is used all the time to float rumors - some true, some false, almost all with some kind of agenda.

The Kings front office is now back to being like what it was in the heyday of Geoff Petrie. NO LEAKS. Anybody who did leak anything didn't know what he/she was talking about and just fed stuff to media people dumb enough to listen to them.

Why does taking Young preclude you from taking Doncic? You like to talk about fit a lot and how Fox and Doncic won't work for some reason, why would Young/Doncic be any worse?

Young
Bogdan || Buddy
Doncic
???
WCS

I have many, many, many, many qualms about how Trae is going to translate to this level, but man you gotta love that shooting/playmaking back-court potential of those 4. Everyone can shoot, everyone can be a playmaker. Go throw all our money at Marcus Smart and you got all your basis covered (in theory).

I don't want to trade Fox, but Trae is the only reason you'd do it and just "admitting" a mistake, regardless of what happens at 2.
I personally don't like the Young-Doncic pairing because I see them starting off in the NBA as negatives in the NBA. I think in time, maybe Doncic can be a respectable defender. However..I don't see that for Young. I think he'll always be a defensive liability. Another reason why I don't like that pairing is because Young absolutely needs the ball in his hands 24/7 if you want Oklahoma Trae Young. He wouldn't get that same opportunity paired next to Doncic.

I know what you are saying but the reality is no one but us would do this. Or another way to put this is, no one would offer us what would be a no brainer deal for us to give up our second pick.

Say we get Mo Bamba and what is projected to be a top 5 pick next year (its a weak class really). Welcome to a whole year of watching Porter or Bagley or Doncic light it up.

The draft gods never bless us like this. You take this chip. You run as fast as you can and you cash it in...at the draft by picking the player which you deem has the highest potential
I get what you mean but the Kings could just as easily take the no brainer in Doncic and he could wind up in the TRob/McLemore group of draft flubs. When you look back through the years, there are a good amount of not so great players taken at 2 so it's not like it's a lock and if any team can screw it up, we know the Kings can.

Sometimes there are good deals. Last year Boston traded the #1 pick for the #3 and our first rounder next year. They did it because they knew they could get their guy anyway. If the Kings aren't hot on Doncic and they want Bagley or Porter and can swing the same deal, then they might as well. I'd rather have a possible lottery pick in a year or two on top of the pick instead of just reaching for Porter at #2 and relying on this team's success just being Porter or bust.

We'd also welcome some much needed defensive improvements with mo, which would be a nice area to see progress, and lets say that 2019 picks top 5 as you said, sekou doumbouya, cam reddish, rj barrett, and nassir little would all fit right in they can play too. That'd be a near best case scenario.

Last edited:
If they trade down to #5 I've got to believe they pick Porter. Same idea as when they traded down and picked Giles, also a guy with injury history. Bagley, Jackson, Doncic, Porter are probably in their sights, with Porter being the most likely.
Why do you suspect that Porter is the guy?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The Kings finally get handed a Ferrari pick and they might want to trade it for an Audi? I don’t get it.
When you've spent so much time researching the Audi, you fall in love with the Audi. Someone dropping an extra 80k in your lap doesn't make up for the fact that you believe your Audi, with a few mods (including a sweet spoiler) and some NOS, could potentially blow the doors off of that Ferrari in a race for pinks, justifying your belief.

When you've spent so much time researching the Audi, you fall in love with the Audi. Someone dropping an extra 80k in your lap doesn't make up for the fact that you believe your Audi, with a few mods (including a sweet spoiler) and some NOS, could potentially blow the doors off of that Ferrari in a race for pinks, justifying your belief.
Or their all ferrari's and people have disillusioned themselves into thinking theres some steep talent dropofff after the 2nd pick...... Theres some food for thought

Cashing in the piick ASAP, to me means trading it, the kings will lock in value immediately, its the safest way to assure a maximum return. We've still got a week to drum up bbidding wars.

Trading a top 2 pick is generally one way to f**k up your future, unless a team is willing to completely overpay. I have no confidence that Vlade will do that. He's much more likely to be fleeced than to be the fleecer. Take the pick and go home. All these hypotheticals are pie in the sky nonsense.

It worked for the Celtics last year, unless Fultz turns out to be a superstar, which is still possible by the way, even if unlikely. But expecting Vlade to get that value is foolish.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It worked for the Celtics last year, unless Fultz turns out to be a superstar, which is still possible by the way, even if unlikely. But expecting Vlade to get that value is foolish.
I'm not absolutely against trading down but I share your apprehension about Vlade getting good value to do so.

But as for the Celtics, it worked for them because Ainge knew almost for certain that he could trade down to #3 and get his guy in Tatum.

The Sixers made it clear they were trading up for Fultz (even before the draft and before his shoulder issues I said Ball was a better fit, but I digress) and the Lakers were strongly expected to take Ball. And even if they passed on Lonzo the rumors were about Fox or Jackson, not Tatum.

Point being, Ainge got the guy he would have taken at #1 AND a future first. Can Vlade pull something like that off with #2? I don't have faith that he can.

I’d look at Dallas’ 2019 unprotected, or Jonathan Isaac/Orlando’s unprotected/Chicago’s unprotected if Doncic/Bagley/Jackson fell to 5 for any odd reason, but that’s the extent of it as far as trading down for picks.