Kings, Mavericks Interested In Trading Down

The Kings and Mavericks are open to moving down in the draft, according to multiple league front-office executives. Sacramento is in the asset-stacking business, while Dallas is trying to compete for the playoffs next season. The Clippers, who have the no. 12 and no. 13 picks, are one team pushing to move up, as I previously reported, and have interest in both Luka Doncic and Michael Porter Jr.
Per Kevin O'Connor - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/11/17447970/golden-state-warriors-offseason-motivation-trades

I guess the Kings love the idea of picking out of the top 5 every year. o_O

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, I don't necessarily believe anything around draft time. But I'll repeat the same thing I've said over and over around this draft:

Can the Kings please just not screw this up this time? Can they just nail the draft for once?

I feel like Charlie Brown with the football when it comes to this team. I was about as disinterested as I've ever been in the Kings this last season and yet they land the #2 pick and I'm sucked right back in. But if this all goes sideways I think it's time for me to take an extended break. . .

Again, I don't necessarily believe anything around draft time. But I'll repeat the same thing I've said over and over around this draft:

Can the Kings please just not screw this up this time? Can they just nail the draft for once?

I feel like Charlie Brown with the football when it comes to this team. I was about as disinterested as I've ever been in the Kings this last season and yet they land the #2 pick and I'm sucked right back in. But if this all goes sideways I think it's time for me to take an extended break. . .
Its crazy. I think this is the draft where I am most sure who should be number one in the last couple of years.
But being a Kings Fans I don't actually expect the Kings to draft him but have been trained to assume the worst. I keep catching me talking myself into guys I have 4-6 in hopes that we don't pick the guy I have #10.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its crazy. I think this is the draft where I am most sure who should be number one in the last couple of years.
But being a Kings Fans I don't actually expect the Kings to draft him but have been trained to assume the worst. I keep catching me talking myself into guys I have 4-6 in hopes that we don't pick the guy I have #10.
Who do you have #1?

gunks

Hall of Famer
In most drafts this would be a stupid move. But with so many high upside guys in the top 6, moving down a few spots could be worth it if we get some decent assets back.

Of course, considering how deep the top 6 is with quality prospects, we probably wouldn't get anything good back unless we drop to 7 or lower.

I'm not super worried about it. I think our FO has a bunch of guys they like so they're testing the water. Vlade is playing with house money after jumping to 2.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
ehhh...I'd like to hope that this isn't true and that Vlade doesn't acquire a pointless player or draft pick in return...if Woj reports this, I'll start getting worried.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Question to the experts on the board: If you make a trade back deal can you make it contingent upon the trading partner taking a specific player? Or can the trading partner just say they are going to take X player and then end up bamboozling you by taking Y?

Trading back to #5 seems like a long way down. Going one or two slots down not so much.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If they trade down to #5 I've got to believe they pick Porter. Same idea as when they traded down and picked Giles, also a guy with injury history. Bagley, Jackson, Doncic, Porter are probably in their sights, with Porter being the most likely.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Question to the experts on the board: If you make a trade back deal can you make it contingent upon the trading partner taking a specific player? Or can the trading partner just say they are going to take X player and then end up bamboozling you by taking Y?

Trading back to #5 seems like a long way down. Going one or two slots down not so much.
Eh... At 5 one of Bamba, MPJ, Bagley, JJJ, or Doncic will be available. We'd be at the back end of the (very fluid) top tier of the draft.

Maybe Vlade wants to let the other GMs make his decision for him to take the pressure off! ;)

I could see a scenario where we select Luka but feel Porter is a pretty close 2nd and the front office would be willing to swap luka for Porter plus a good young player or 1st rd picks. Good idea to put out feelers. Never going to catch a sucker if you dont bait the hook and toss it in the water.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Eh... At 5 one of Bamba, MPJ, Bagley, JJJ, or Doncic will be available. We'd be at the back end of the (very fluid) top tier of the draft.

Maybe Vlade wants to let the other GMs make his decision for him to take the pressure off! ;)
He could think there's not a whole lot of difference between the #2 and #5. It fits with picking Porter because it minimizes the risk somewhat (and lowers the pressure). Of course, it depends on what he gets in the deal also.

If we can get the player we want and get another pick or prospect out of it, I don't see why we wouldn't trade down. This is what smart franchises do. Boston did almost exactly this last year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we can get the player we want and get another pick or prospect out of it, I don't see why we wouldn't trade down. This is what smart franchises do. Boston did almost exactly this last year.
Did they though? I think the clear implication was that Philly was trading up to take Fultz and the Lakers were locked in on Ball and they had Ingram at SF/smallball PF.

Ainge would have had a very high level of confidence that Tatum would be there at #3.

If the Kings trade to #5, what assurance is there that their guy is still there? Who is Dallas trading up to get? Doncic? And then who do Atlanta and Memphis take? That's a lot of uncertainty. And for what? The Mav's 2019 pick? If they land a big player in free agency and the #2 pick pans out along with a year of develpment from DSJ, that could be a late lottery pick in a weak draft.

And this is the conundrum with Porter. If he's really healthy and is looking like a stud in workouts is he sure to drop to five? Conversely, if he's definitely going to be on the board at five, is there something wrong with him? Risky proposition either way.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll post the article in it's own thread, but The Ringer released a piece on whether the Kings would get this draft right with a bunch of different scenarios.

One of them was trading Fox to Orlando for #6. If the Magic went for that I'd strongly consider it depending on who is on the board at six.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Question to the experts on the board: If you make a trade back deal can you make it contingent upon the trading partner taking a specific player? Or can the trading partner just say they are going to take X player and then end up bamboozling you by taking Y
This is a good question and I've often wondered the answer myself. Keep in mind that if the trade is made on draft day that the original teams make those picks and then finalize the trade later. Still, some of the chatter you hear makes it sound like if a team is trading up they often will disclose who they are after. That would help the team above, but would seem to defeat the purpose, particularly if it's a one-slot trade.

I'll post the article in it's own thread, but The Ringer released a piece on whether the Kings would get this draft right with a bunch of different scenarios.

One of them was trading Fox to Orlando for #6. If the Magic went for that I'd strongly consider it depending on who is on the board at six.
Love Fox. Love him as a King. Great kid. But for a chance at JJJ, Bamba, Porter, or Young I'd drive him to the airport myself.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Love Fox. Love him as a King. Great kid. But for a chance at JJJ, Bamba, Porter, or Young I'd drive him to the airport myself.
Fox would in return turn into a stud and then laugh in the Kings face, this is asinine thinking in my opinion. What's with the Kings' fanbase and their willingness to trade players as soon as they draft them? I don't understand.

Wow. Are you that down on Fox? I usually agree with 99.999% of that you say.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trades aren't finalized until later. If a team changed the parameters of a deal the other team wouldn't have to follow through.

But I think the other part of it is that teams can discuss the framework of a deal contingent on a guy being there when the other team picks but they are actually agreed upon when the second team is on the clock. So there shouldn't be any mixups or audibles.