Kings make offer to Iguodala

Iggy could still get more from someone else, or a 5th year out of Denver. At this point, Iggy declining our offer seems to be our best shot at keeping Evans. I have a HARD time seeing PDA letting Evans go and losing out on Iggy. He has to take one of them, just has too.

He could blow my mind and land both players, it would take a decent amount of work and $$$, though. Should be an interesting few days.

Not quite sure how I feel about this. It is either one or the other, as both Tyreke and Iggy is probably not going to happen. I like Tyreke a lot and I think he is almost ideal with McLemore and Cousins, but Iggy is a proven SF/veteran with playoff experience. The greedy part of me wants both (pretty please Vivek?), but the reality of it is quite the opposite. To sum up the offseason thus far (if Iggy agrees), we would not have a PG (I don't count IT, he is a bench type of player), McLemore, Iggy, ?, Cousins. With that lineup, you would need a good shooting PG. Do they really believe that much in Ray McCallum? The 4 spot is also a question mark, as we still don't have any interior defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I get why some of you are freaking out about losing Reke. But comon... the new regime said they were going to be aggressive and they are. They've got my trust at this point because everything they have done so far has been so anti- "maloof era" kings. Keep it coming!
There is no credit in being aggressive for aggression's sake. That is a recipe for often fatal error.

And if Pete's move that he felt he owed to the fanbase was to replace a young Reke with an old much more expensive version...he can keep it.

Funny thing here. Within a week I am going to have a pretty firm grip how to approach this new front office. They are either going to bright, aggressive and saavy, somehow getting everything they wanted despite dealing form a position of weakness. Or they are going to be shortsighted gamblers over concerned with making a splash, and under informed and under concerned with the implications of that splash.

I think if we choose only Iggy, we could sign Jose Calderon as well, who would be a decent pick up. Good bball IQ, veteran like Iggy, good handle, not sure on his 3 pt shot.

Not quite sure how I feel about this. It is either one or the other, as both Tyreke and Iggy is probably not going to happen. I like Tyreke a lot and I think he is almost ideal with McLemore and Cousins, but Iggy is a proven SF/veteran with playoff experience. The greedy part of me wants both (pretty please Vivek?), but the reality of it is quite the opposite. To sum up the offseason thus far (if Iggy agrees), we would not have a PG (I don't count IT, he is a bench type of player), McLemore, Iggy, ?, Cousins. With that lineup, you would need a good shooting PG. Do they really believe that much in Ray McCallum? The 4 spot is also a question mark, as we still don't have any interior defense.
Calderon is a good shooting PG, and they could use the MLE on him. This may be the reason they brought him in for a visit.

I think if we choose only Iggy, we could sign Jose Calderon as well, who would be a decent pick up. Good bball IQ, veteran like Iggy, good handle, not sure on his 3 pt shot.
Iggy makes a lot of sense for our line-up right now. I hope this means we're gonna amnesty Salmons.
Iggy near that rim is an assist waiting to happen. Then you add McLemore out in the perimeter.
The next guy you need is an real assist machine. That's why we're talking with Calderon.

Looks like we really do have a new Front Office now. Feels great.

Bricklayer

People keep saying that, but they aren't understanding -- if we drop $14mil a year on Iggy, not only would we be giving up Reke, we would be using up every single penny of our available capspace. In other words, no Calderon. No Teague. None of that.

As long as they don't give away the star power to get this aging Cadillac.

At 34 yrs of age I will eat my hat if Iggy is worth $16mil. he doesn't have to slide much for that thing to approach worst contract in the league status. Don't believe me? Last year he averaged 13.5pts 5.3reb 5.4ast on .454 shooting, .317 from the three point line. + Defense of course. But just a little sink, just a minor one, and that's 12 4 and 4. One significant injury and it could be 10 4 and 4.
No, I don't believe you

Denver is score by committee. I'll eat my hat if Iggy isn't 15 PPG next season. Along with the passing, rebounding, and elite defense. Key word. Elite. Not kinda good, but some of the best perimeter D in the NBA.

Lucky for us, the one thing we know how to do is score points. What we don't know how to do is play D, be smart on the court, have players willing to take a back-seat. ETC

Glenn

Hall of Famer
what about amnestying salmons?
I made a whole bunch of calculations and amnestying Salmons would allow us to sign both. I'm not going to post it here again. Even if amnestying Salmons is not enough, we can trade for a future draft pick and free up space that way. I will not in any way believe this is a choice of Iggy over Tyreke as that is a step back.

Let's compare the next year's possible lineup with last seasons'.

Only Iggy for 2013-14:

PG) Calderon
SG) McLemore
SF) Igoudala
PF) Pattterson/JT (they are interchangeable in my eyes)
C) Cousins

That is way better than what we went with last year. PG/SG are definite upgrades. SF, Iggy could be a downgrade compare to EVans, but only if Evans were used as a guard. But Iggy can bring playoff experience and veteran leadership we've needed, plus he is a good defender. Patterson can help spread the floor and JT is a workhorse. Cousins this year, i feel, will be much improved with a coach who will likely listen to him and he will likely receive mentoring.

People keep saying that, but they aren't understanding -- if we drop $14mil a year on Iggy, not only would we be giving up Reke, we would be using up every single penny of our available capspace. In other words, no Calderon. No Teague. None of that.
is that with or without considering using the amnesty on Salmons?

What about if we get rid of Salmons using amnesty? We clear up around 7 million if I recall a previous post.

not sure what calderon would command, bt we could use MLE

Yup, however I think we could still swing the Vasquez / Evans swap if we wanted too.

Regardless of what happens, our front office thinks so highly of McLemore that they literally are about to gut our roster, get rid of Tyreke, sign Iggy to a terrible deal, and 100% bank on McLemore becoming the teams 2nd star. Thats a lot of pressure, and a lot of risk, along with some bad decision making.

Unless we go for a sign and trade with N.O.
Reke (S&T) for Varquez and Lopez.
That's same money plus space to sign Iggy.

Vazquez would be a good choice if we do have interest in Calderon.
The kid has been an assist machine in the Pelicans too.
And Lopez? Yup, an agile big that blocks shot. That's what we we're looking next to DMC.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes and no. They'd need to renounce Tyreke to sign Iguodala to that deal but they could still turn around and amnesty Salmons for $7 million in caproom.

But finding a way to get Evans AND Iguodala is still their best shot at a real step forward.

And hopefully AI's decline is more than compensated for by Evans, Cousins & McLemore developing their games.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What about if we get rid of Salmons using amnesty? We clear up around 7 million if I recall a previous post.
Yes. $7.5 mil. That would leave us $12.5 mil under the salary cap which coincides with what the first year on a 4 year contract increasing at 4.5% per year with an average of $14 mil would require. In other words, we could sign Iggy, use the Bird exception on Tyreke and sign McLemore with the exception allowed for 1st round draft picks.

I think people have to stop and think. There apparently is an assumption that our FO is incompetent which I define as that they disagree with us. I don't think so.

Bricklayer

No, I don't believe you

Denver is score by committee. I'll eat my hat if Iggy isn't 15 PPG next season. Along with the passing, rebounding, and elite defense. Key word. Elite. Not kinda good, but some of the best perimeter D in the NBA.

Lucky for us, the one thing we know how to do is score points. What we don't know how to do is play D, be smart on the court, have players willing to take a back-seat. ETC
Hope you like the taste of sombrero. Iggy hasn't scored 15 in 4 years. And he hasn't even been efficient in not scoring 15. He's annually a .440-.450 shooter.

Of course, if we continue down this course all it would take is McLemore not being ready -- and at his age that is possible -- for us to suddenly amazingly have scoring problems around Cuz, and Iggy might nudge up a few points out of pure necessity. Reke and McLemore could work because Reke is versatile. Thornotn and Mac can't because they are the same size and both only play the one position. So MT's scoring will likely be moved as well. Indications are that the front office is looking to replace the pizza guy too with a more passing oriented guy. You could have Iggy averaging 13, McLemore doing what Beal did and averaging 12, a new PG (Calderon?) averaging 10-11. Patterson and JT averaging 7pts a piece. And Cuz averaging 20.

Last edited: