[Game] Kings @ Magic - Tuesday, Jan. 23 - 4 PT

They were talking about the potential Hill to Cavs trade. Kayte went on to say it wasn’t what George Hill was expecting but he had still been professional, It hasn’t impacted his play or his locker room presence. She wanted the fans to understand. Not sure it came out the way she wanted.

Ham followed up with the exact opposite of “what could he have possibly been expecting? I mean, does he not watch basketball?” And then flat out said there is nights where Hill plays with no effort.

Kayte seemed miffed and Ham notices and concedes that they can go back and forth all night on it(which means Kayte can have the last word and they can move on)..then Kayte goes back to saying that Hill hadnt enjoyed the proper role stability and that hurt his play..going from point to SG back to point. Then she pulls the “players POV” card. Full apologist mode.

Simply not what we have watched this year. Hill has been probably the most disappointing high profile acquisition the Kings have ever made.

Talk about things “not being what was expected”. George Hill should imagine how we feel about George Hill.

I'm with James Ham on this.

I'm with James Ham on this.
I can see both sides to this. Even though, I know Hill signed with Sac primarily for the 20 mil. Hill has never missed the playoffs. yet he comes to Sac playing like garbage. Literally, for the first time in his career. I am sure there were communication issues with the FO. It would not surprise me. Vlade is inexperienced and in way over his head.

I agree and disagree with both Ham and Kayte. I was watching it too. I was hoping she would have slugged that fanboy. Ham has always rubbed me the wrong way. I find him an annoying homer.

I have a question - did we stop doing grades because of the constant losing? That thread was always the best to catch the highlights of the game on even in losses, in fact it gave us an idea of whether it was worth watching or deleting. I think it would be helpful to critique the kids development for the second half of the season, hopefully somebody will bring it back

I have a question - did we stop doing grades because of the constant losing? That thread was always the best to catch the highlights of the game on even in losses, in fact it gave us an idea of whether it was worth watching or deleting. I think it would be helpful to critique the kids development for the second half of the season, hopefully somebody will bring it back
bricklayer is not here anymore unfortunately.

I can see both sides to this. Even though, I know Hill signed with Sac primarily for the 20 mil. Hill has never missed the playoffs. yet he comes to Sac playing like garbage. Literally, for the first time in his career. I am sure there were communication issues with the FO. It would not surprise me. Vlade is inexperienced and in way over his head.
Nobody is responsible for George Hill playing poorly except for George Hill. He's shot well from 3 on the whole, but clearly hasn't shot enough of them. Dude has been invisible most games, especially early on, which is why his time began to diminish.

He could have stayed in Utah if playoff basketball was so important to him and still earned a hefty salary. But he opted to take the Kings $$ because that was more important to him. He doesn't have the right to complain now or expect the Kings to do him favors because he's having players remorse.

Was there not a small group of posters who were making grade threads for awhile at the beginning of the year? Just lost its steam possibly.
There should be a single owner of a task even when multiple people are responsible. Bricklayer was the one who was the glue. Tetsujin is too busy and so are many others. I can barely watch part of few games.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Was there not a small group of posters who were making grade threads for awhile at the beginning of the year? Just lost its steam possibly.
I am incredibly busy at the moment and my schedule shows no sign of slowing down. God willing, I'll have the time to post more and even get those grade threads back up and going at some point in the future but right now it's a miracle I can even catch bits and pieces of some games live.

I was only a part of the grades for last season but have enjoyed them for many years longer than I have been a member. Many.

Speaking only for myself, I have had a lot going on on a personal level. ( who doesn't?) It also didn't help that my ancient computer I was using last season waived the white flag 2 days before "The Trade" last year.

I imagine they could be rekindled, or at the very least, a post game thread could always be made. They were at first this season, but tapered off. Anyone could start one.

Last edited:
There should be a single owner of a task even when multiple people are responsible. Bricklayer was the one who was the glue. Tetsujin is too busy and so are many others. I can barely watch part of few games.
This is (was) the problem, IMO. Several people were on board, but nobody (including myself) took responsibility for starting the post-game thread every time!
I'm disappointed, because I always looked forward to a post-game discussion (with or without the grades). Now I just go to the game thread and jump to the last couple of pages.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This George Hill stuff is just witch hunt level at this point. Do you even hear yourselves? You know there's only one reason George Hill is even on this team this year... our front office offered him a bigger contract than anyone else did. If you're that mad he's here maybe you should be directing your anger there. It's not like he's LeBron James coming in here and dogging it. The only thing he was ever known for in the league up to this point is being another Popovich "who now?" draft pick who turned into a capable NBA player. I even remember during the live draft broadcast the panelists laughed at the pick because no one had him projected anywhere near the first round and then they joked something to the effect of "it's the Spurs so he'll probably end up being an All Star" and chuckled some more. If he'd been given a reasonable $6-8 million per year deal are you all over him for being awful or do you just accept that he's another in a long line of "this is the best guy we could get " not so marquee free agent signings for the Kings?

More to the point, would you turn down all that money if someone was dumb enough to offer it to you? I think not! And then once you got to your new job and realized you hated it and there were cameras everywhere filming your candid facial expressions so everyone could see how much you hated it and they all started pointing fingers behind your back and talking about how much the company was paying you... no, who am I kidding. This is sports right? Burn his jersey! Chase him out of town!

This George Hill stuff is just witch hunt level at this point. Do you even hear yourselves? You know there's only one reason George Hill is even on this team this year... our front office offered him a bigger contract than anyone else did. If you're that mad he's here maybe you should be directing your anger there. It's not like he's LeBron James coming in here and dogging it. The only thing he was ever known for in the league up to this point is being another Popovich "who now?" draft pick who turned into a capable NBA player. I even remember during the live draft broadcast the panelists laughed at the pick because no one had him projected anywhere near the first round and then they joked something to the effect of "it's the Spurs so he'll probably end up being an All Star" and chuckled some more. If he'd been given a reasonable $6-8 million per year deal are you all over him for being awful or do you just accept that he's another in a long line of "this is the best guy we could get " not so marquee free agent signings for the Kings?

More to the point, would you turn down all that money if someone was dumb enough to offer it to you? I think not! And then once you got to your new job and realized you hated it and there were cameras everywhere filming your candid facial expressions so everyone could see how much you hated it and they all started pointing fingers behind your back and talking about how much the company was paying you... no, who am I kidding. This is sports right? Burn his jersey! Chase him out of town!
I guess most, including me, believe George Hill is a lot better than he has played for the Kings. Even if we’re not using his Utah season as the bar, which we are and should. Even if Indiana and San Antonio Hill is more the expectation. He hasn’t even been that good.

The big problem and gripe with Hill is that it’s so often that he doesn’t even show up to play. You’re forgetting that and just taking the angle of “you pay 20 million for Ramon Sessions and got Ramon Sessions boo freakin hoo” when objectively speaking George Hill is a lot better than that and significantly better than he has given the Kings...and it has to do with his effort.

We overpaid George Hill but didn’t even get George Hill. His unheralded status as a prospect years ago is meaningless.

It can all be traced back to his effort and what is allegedly his insistence that he wasn’t chasing the money but actually had competitive expectations.

Kings messed up by giving him the contract of course and when people complain about Hill, it rarely has anything to do with the contract he signed but the fact that he’s visibly dogging it and reportedly complaining.

I’ve stuck up for Z-Bo here. He’s making too much money as well and really has no purpose on the team at this point..but he doesn’t dog it.

In the Battle for the Bottom the Kings hung around and then woke up in the fourth. Something good is going on here though. Eleven blocks in one game! Willie actually took a charge! Do they read this forum? The Kings get 6 stops in the final stretch. They found a team they can intimidate.

The Kings and the Magic are similar teams. Lots of young firepower type players that are ascending and almost really good players. Crummy team defense and struggling to make defensive rebounds. Willie and Skal are at least attempting to play tougher. They are being much more aggressive and trying to jam the ball. They are rebounding better. They are both starting to wake up and play with the right mind set. I give them credit for changing their ways.

Temple deserves some special mention. I believe he is not a 3 point shooter because it is beyond his range. He is a good shooter from 15-18 feet and in. He is valued by Coach for many reasons. I want to like the guy and last night made it easy. I hope he can have some more 20 point games this year.

The Kings really have trouble extending their defense to the 3 point line. They also are reluctant to shoot from there. It is almost as if they are playing in the NBA from 5 years ago. That needs to change if they are going to be competitive. Likewise their interior defense is weak. They give up a lot of lay-ups and are slow to rotate from the weak side. Last night was an exception. They need to learn to stop the ball faster when the other team is on a break. Some teams are really good at interior passing like San Antonio. They make the Kings dizzy trying to find the ball in the paint. All of these things can be taught.

Moving Hill seems like it will make for a happier locker room.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Doing game threads is time consuming and energy draining. When your team isn't winning, it's a mind-numblingly difficult task.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yep, and the brilliant tankage theory is officially out the window. Down the stretch he rode the hot hand to victory over the "other" worst team!
I said it in the Tankathon thread and I'll say it here: Nobody likes losing all the time. Nobody. What would you have had Joerger do? I do not EVER want to see it get to the point where a coach intentionally makes his team lose and that's what would have had to happen last night. Young players need a win once in a while. This was the first one in NINE FREAKING GAMES. You want the kids to still be engaged and still try their hardest? Or do you want them all to just lose heart and hope for trades? You have to let them win when they play like they did last night. Garrett Temple had a career night. You resent that too?

I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous. Yes, we're in full blown tank mode but I thank the Great God Naismith our coach and his staff are still working on it being a time of learning as well.

Just saw the box score, and with a win I was hoping someone else might have a game high besides Temple. Joerger still peddle to the metal with winning when we are in range for lottery odds (and probably why the FO might have to sit vets because of Joerger). Fox needs to play consistently without getting hurt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just saw the box score, and with a win I was hoping someone else might have a game high besides Temple. Joerger still peddle to the metal with winning when we are in range for lottery odds (and probably why the FO might have to sit vets because of Joerger). Fox needs to play consistently without getting hurt.
You missed a lot by not watching the game. WCS had a VERY good game. The front office (Vlade) is NOT going to infringe on Joerger's decisions, nor should he. Every losing team wins occasionally. We lost EIGHT in a freaking row and then got one win. Oh noes!!!!

:rolleyes:

Pull a guy like Temple (by all accounts one of the most popular players on the team) when he is on absolute fire in the 4th and having a career game, you lose the team.

You missed a lot by not watching the game. WCS had a VERY good game. The front office (Vlade) is NOT going to infringe on Joerger's decisions, nor should he. Every losing team wins occasionally. We lost EIGHT in a freaking row and then got one win. Oh noes!!!!

:rolleyes:
So the vets sitting every other game is Joerger’s decision? That is infringing on him continuing with the vets actively

Fox is the franchise piece at this point, and needs to be relied upon to play 70 games. I hope this improves with his conditioning as he is a rookie

But there were some nice things, to be sure

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So the vets sitting every other game is Joerger’s decision? That is infringing on him continuing with the vets actively

Fox is the franchise piece at this point, and needs to be relied upon to play 70 games. I hope this improves with his conditioning as he is a rookie

But there were some nice things, to be sure
I'd reply but I have to be honest. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think at the end of game threads is a good place to look for player grades. May not cover all players but often some posters will highlight the best or worst performances