[Game] Kings @ Jazz, 3/20/2022 6pm Pacific 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Domas was just awful. Plenty of time he got the drop on Kessler through the game and just blew the layup. It’s probably the hand because he wasn’t a guy that missed so many chip shots before that. It was really bad tonight but he misses a couple of them per game where it’s like “how in the hell does he miss that?”. Usually one or two. Tonight it was about 5 of them. His worst performance since the 0-4 start.

reserve forwards Lyles and Metu provided no relief. Mitchell was awful. TD was awful. Edwards was bad. A turtle could get these guys jumping.

missed free throws, bad rebounding, trash defense in the fourth quarter.

terrible loss heading into the Boston game where we are sure to be hearing the old “first home game after a long road trip” excuse early. Like we heard the “last game of a road trip” one tonight.

disappointing
This post is largely technically correct, but still seems extremely hyperbolic when you consider that it's in reference to a team that hasn't lost back-to-back games in seven weeks.

I think everyone needs to just take a breather here. Guys, be real - they were tired, game was at elevation. We didn't play good! Agreed! But maybe cut these guys a little bit of slack and trust they'll learn the right lessons from this. They showed heart to come back. We all agree the defense needs to be better for the playoffs.
Nah, it's apparently way more fun to not accept losses and bad games just happen :) Even though we've basically been the best team in basketball post-all star break :)

Terrible loss because of the back-to-back. But, in the grand scheme of things, a loss that I can live with. Boston's gonna be tough to beat, and I honestly don't expect us to escape that game with a W. If there was a game to win during this back-to-back, tonight was that game.

With 11 games remaining in the regular season, the question now becomes, are we good enough to go 7-4, and finish the season with 50 wins? The bigger question, however, becomes...Can we stay healthy heading into the playoffs??? I'd much rather see us sacrifice 5 or 6 losses to end the season in order to see us take a healthy roster into the 1st round, so it will be very interesting to see how the last 11 games play out for the Kings.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Terrible loss because of the back-to-back. But, in the grand scheme of things, a loss that I can live with. Boston's gonna be tough to beat, and I honestly don't expect us to escape that game with a W. If there was a game to win during this back-to-back, tonight was that game.

With 11 games remaining in the regular season, the question now becomes, are we good enough to go 7-4, and finish the season with 50 wins? The bigger question, however, becomes...Can we stay healthy heading into the playoffs??? I'd much rather see us sacrifice 5 or 6 losses to end the season in order to see us take a healthy roster into the 1st round, so it will be very interesting to see how the last 11 games play out for the Kings.
After this game. With this defense? I’m less optimistic. Just gotta win that Pacific Division banner, then don’t play Golden State in the first round.

I would really hesitate on re-signing Barnes for anything other than a 6th man role if we want to the a step next year. He’s quietly been showing signs of aging. His defense has been OK at best and will likely continue to get worse every year as he ages..
Well, if that's the call then they better get someone else that can create opportunities for themselves. Barnes got into the teeth of the defense in this one and he was a big part of the turn around. A team full of spot shooters around Fox and Domas likely won't be enough since Domas plays more of Chris Paul role at times. Take Barnes off this team and it's a real question where this team generates contact from.

I would really hesitate on re-signing Barnes for anything other than a 6th man role if we want to the a step next year. He’s quietly been showing signs of aging. His defense has been OK at best and will likely continue to get worse every year as he ages..
Barnes is still solid. He's still our best defensively player, but that's not saying a lot since every1 else sucks at defense. I just hope the kings don't way overpay him.

I think everyone needs to just take a breather here. Guys, be real - they were tired, game was at elevation. We didn't play good! Agreed! But maybe cut these guys a little bit of slack and trust they'll learn the right lessons from this. They showed heart to come back. We all agree the defense needs to be better for the playoffs.
Agreed, winning 7+ road games in a row is an anamoly, no matter how good the team. It had to come to an end somewhere.

It's time someone from our front office calls the league about this treatment of Domas. The man gets murdered every night. It's RIDICULOUS.
I think it was Cody Zeller with the Hornets, where the front office compiled a video of hard fouls that were not called and sent it to the league office. He kept getting knocked on the head night in, night out. It was awful.

He has struggled recently against longer bigs, like Lopez. He hesitates a little too much instead of going up strong when he goes up against these bigger guys
Domas hasn’t struggled recently against anybody until tonight. He’s won 2 straight western conference player of week awards.

I didn’t think he struggled against Lopez. He actually had a very strong game against Brook(23-17-15, that would’ve got the job done tonight) and was scoring on him at will especially in the first half of the game. His game was quite impressive considering the refs didn’t put him at the free throw line even once despite the physical play of Brook.

Barnes is still solid. He's still our best defensively player, but that's not saying a lot since every1 else sucks at defense. I just hope the kings don't way overpay him.
I'm kind of hoping Barnes is all in and will give the Kings some of that home team cap help this offseason so they can finish this thing off. Barnes has had a rough go since coming here but the Kings stuck with him regardless.

Yeah, but the problem is that your comments make way too much sense...:p:p:p

Well, if that's the call then they better get someone else that can create opportunities for themselves. Barnes got into the teeth of the defense in this one and he was a big part of the turn around. A team full of spot shooters around Fox and Domas likely won't be enough since Domas plays more of Chris Paul role at times. Take Barnes off this team and it's a real question where this team generates contact from.
Replacing Barnes with someone like Kessler Edwards (and I like Edwards) at least this off-season is bush-league loser franchise behavior. Every time this comes up no one really has a replacement option, and none of the FA 3s are better than him.

Domas hasn’t struggled recently against anybody until tonight. He’s won 2 straight western conference player of week awards.

I didn’t think he struggled against Lopez. He actually had a very strong game against Brook(23-17-15, that would’ve got the job done tonight) and was scoring on him at will especially in the first half of the game. His game was quite impressive considering the refs didn’t put him at the free throw line even once despite the physical play of Brook.
Dude had 9 triple doubles in his last ten games (if the on screen stat was correct)... he has one off game at the end of a road trip where he was getting murdered and given no calls. What's your point? That he played bad? I think Domas knows that. We'll move on.

Replacing Barnes with someone like Kessler Edwards (and I like Edwards) at least this off-season is bush-league loser franchise behavior. Every time this comes up no one really has a replacement option, and none of the FA 3s are better than him.
Yeah, you replace someone like Barnes the same way the Warriors did, when you are getting a major star upgrade. Which Monte might be able to do. We shall see.

If anything good come out of this loss is that the Kings learn how to defeat zone defense. I think that defense threw them off in the beginning as far as rhyme. The Jazz has nothing to lose in this game...they're probably not in the Playoffs...so they're playing loose.

Sabonis didn't do well in this game...this is one of the few times I seen Sabonis struggled...he didn't get any calls. They refs are kind of harsh in this game. Also bad decision by Sabonis one time when he could have went up for a dunk because he was wide open but instead he passes to Monk for wide open 3 (luckily he made it). But that just show how the night go for Sabonis...he knew he shouldn't have passed that ball. Keegan and Fox are the ones that brought us back in the game. Again, this loss is on Barnes for failing to rotate quickly enough to guard a Jazz wide open for 3 when the game tied up. I always tend to think Barnes defensive skills is a little suspect and soft sometimes...that's why he let Giannis go off when we play the Bucks. Barnes defense is little suspect....i mean he play solid D but solid ain't good enough unfortunately, I think he has max out his limitation. I thought Brown should have gambled and go w/ Kessler. I doubt Kessler would have left that guy wide open shooting 3.

Last edited:
82 games. No way we weren’t gonna have another annoying loss or two. I’d rather lose to Boston than these guys, but, knowing us - we’ll give Boston hell. We may have come into this game a bit too relaxed and we’ve gotten into the habit of falling behind and coming back. Now we know better than to do that again.

It was strange, we went into the 10 point hole we seem to find ourselves in a lot early and then just couldnt score for like 10 minutes. Zaps all of our energy trying to get back in it and then Sabonis gets stuff a couple times, Dunn hits that 3 and then A few foul calls. That was the difference.

I think HB eventually becomes the Andre Iggy for this team for this next contract. Vet leader on the floor and in the locker room, steady, gives you good production. That 2nd quarter where he got aggressive and worked the 2-man game with Domas and drew a few fouls to stop the bleeding was a perfect example of him being the wise vet on the floor and just playing his game.

Maybe we're able to phase him into a smaller role as he gets older (Vezenkov comes over and is good? Keegan growth? Kessler Edwards is real?), but the worst thing we could do is just let him walk for nothing without an actual replacement and just as we're trying to build a long-term playoff winner. Monte's big goal is to find ways to add to this team without detracting what's made it great so far this year. HB been a big part of that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The Kings' best option would be to re-sign Barnes to a short-term deal and give McNair time to try and find his replacement in the draft. It would be a mistake to try and take a homerun swing and invest too many assets in trying to trade for a big-name SF**.

** Unless McNair thinks he can somehow con Milwaukee into a trade that sends Barnes (via S&T), Huerter and Holmes to the Bucks for Giannis. Then, by all means, swing.

EDIT - "Trade for a big-name free agent"? **** was my head at?

I think HB eventually becomes the Andre Iggy for this team for this next contract. Vet leader on the floor and in the locker room, steady, gives you good production. That 2nd quarter where he got aggressive and worked the 2-man game with Domas and drew a few fouls to stop the bleeding was a perfect example of him being the wise vet on the floor and just playing his game.

Maybe we're able to phase him into a smaller role as he gets older (Vezenkov comes over and is good? Keegan growth? Kessler Edwards is real?), but the worst thing we could do is just let him walk for nothing without an actual replacement and just as we're trying to build a long-term playoff winner. Monte's big goal is to find ways to add to this team without detracting what's made it great so far this year. HB been a big part of that.
Fox and HB were the only reason we weren’t down 40 to start the game. Barnes didn’t score much after that beginning but that was partially because Keegan was going off.

Status
Not open for further replies.