Kings Interested In Trading For Otto Porter

Sac has nothing Washington wants. WCS, Hield and Porter are on the 25 and up age range.

If Wizards blow it up, they want picks and young players. Kings have expirings. But, I think other teams can and will
Offer more. Picks and Youth.

Washington is looking to blow things up, so they will want expiring contracts and young talent.

Their center Dwight Howard just had surgery again and will be out a few months.

I want to see if Washington would bite on a KK, Skal, Justin Jackson and a 2nd round pick for Otto Porter. Otto is overpaid, but in the right situation, he could be a glue type young veteran leader 3 and D Small Forward.

Plus, we are the only team that can get them under the luxury tax with a trade.

I would like to see a lineup of:

PF Bagley / Giles
SF Porter / Shumpert
C WCS /
SG Hield / Bogdan
PG Fox / Ferrell / Mason

Last edited:
What would you guys be willing to give up? I like WCS but for the money he might get, coupled with his inconsistency, I think we have to let him go at some point. Especially if Bagley will eventually start, I can’t see them starting together. Thus, he could be caluable as a trade piece.

I’d probably offer WCS and expirings. Add a 2nd round pick if they really want one (we have a lot of them anyways). I’d hang on to Shumpert, the other untouchables are pretty clear for anyone who follows the team regularly.

What would you guys be willing to give up? I like WCS but for the money he might get, coupled with his inconsistency, I think we have to let him go at some point. Especially if Bagley will eventually start, I can’t see them starting together. Thus, he could be caluable as a trade piece.

I’d probably offer WCS and expirings. Add a 2nd round pick if they really want one (we have a lot of them anyways). I’d hang on to Shumpert, the other untouchables are pretty clear for anyone who follows the team regularly.
Cap relief WCS.

I think I am in agreement with you here. Even though WCS has been having a better season, I can't see him and Bags playing together, and to me, Bagley looks like a star in the making, and offers a lot of the same skills as WCS. We're also deep with bigs, so letting go of one might open up some more playing time for Giles.

Like their front office drama, the KINGS seemingly can't seem to move on from their love of Otto Porter.
I just don't see it. Never have. He's an ok player. But nothing special, especially for the money.

Before anybody writes a response saying "Porter fills a need and is better than anything the KINGS have at the 3" let me first say I agree. But that doesn't mean they should acquire him. There are lots of SF's out there that apply to that too.

The KINGS aren't playing for a championship this season. There's no need to rush things. I think they should be more focused on finding the right player and not just someone to plug and play. They already tried that with Rudy Gay.

I'd rather wait for FA and see what they can do there. Players around the league are recognizing and acknowledging what the KINGS are building and how they are playing. It's entirely possible to find a good fit for less $$. Or perhaps someone even better than Porter.

Handful of expirings and a 2nd.. that is it.
Wizards are the ones who are desperate, not us. Although, this is the Kings FO we're talking about. Absolutely no negotiating skills whatsoever. If a deal does go down, it'll end with Washington having their cake (expiring contracts) and eating it too (young talent). They'd probably thrown in another BS contract our way as well.

I wouldn't mind bringing Porter aboard, but at what cost?

He's got a hefty contract. Washington doesn't have much leverage in a trade, but I don't trust our FO.

I don't want to lose any significant pieces. We have a fantastic young core and it needs to stay intact.

The only guys I might consider trading are Skal and/or Jackson. Definitely don't want to lose any more significant draft picks.

I’d be willing to part with WCS, Labissiere, and/or Jackson. I’d probably prefer sending Willie because it saves us cap space too.

We’d have $31-34 mil in cap space (depending if we waive Ferrell) if we trade Willie for Porter. However, if we trade Jackson or Labissiere (or both) were looking at $21-24 mil in cap space (factoring in Willies cap hold which will be around $14 mil).

So....would you rather have :
  1. Porter, Labissiere, Jackson, and $31-34 mil cap space
  2. Porter, Cauley-Stein, and $21-24 mil cap space
I’m taking the first option pretty easily. Knowing we’d have the following players under contract next season...

PG - Fox / Mason
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Porter / Jackson
PF - Bjelica / Giles
C - Bagley / Labissiere

...I dare a max player to sign here ;)

EDIT: even signing a guy like Middleton/Thompson and pushing Porter to our starting PF (his stats seem to indicate that’s his more impactful position) would be a good move. Another unselfish, non-ball dominant player who can score, defend, and stretch the defense even further for Fox and Bagley.

Hield, Bogdanovic, Middleton/Thompson, Porter, & Bjelica would give us 5 excellent 3pt shooters. That’s going to make our offense even harder to stop. Not to mention our defense gets better with the addition of two good wing defenders in Middleton/Thompson and Porter.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think that if Porter came to the Kings, he would instantly be a very popular Kings' player because he is very talented and multi-dimensional. He would fit in quickly with the current team and make this team better. Playoffs would be a more realistic goal. He can score, defend, rebound and assist. He's not just a 3 and D guy. He really showed me the type of player he was when Wall was out with injury last year; that's when Porter looked great. I think he'd love playing with the unselfish guards that the Kings have, unlike the situation in Washington. All that said, the lower the price, the better.

I think that if Porter came to the Kings, he would instantly be a very popular Kings' player because he is very talented and multi-dimensional. He would fit in quickly with the current team and make this team better. Playoffs would be a more realistic goal. He can score, defend, rebound and assist. He's not just a 3 and D guy. He really showed me the type of player he was when Wall was out with injury last year; that's when Porter looked great. I think he'd love playing with the unselfish guards that the Kings have, unlike the situation in Washington. All that said, the lower the price, the better.
Hearing Paul Pierce speak highly of him back when he took him under his wing convinced me he would be a good get for us. He does speak The Truth after all. He fills our most gaping hole in the starting lineup with a legitimate 2 way 3 and D wing.

Get it done please and thanks.

completely unimpressed by the source. any dork blogger reading here or STR could make the same inferences. means nothing.

I'm really psyched if we can parlay Willie Zach and a second rounder or two for a long term solid NBA SF solution. would be soooooo nice.

Handful of expirings and a 2nd.. that is it.
Wizards are the ones who are desperate, not us. Although, this is the Kings FO we're talking about. Absolutely no negotiating skills whatsoever. If a deal does go down, it'll end with Washington having their cake (expiring contracts) and eating it too (young talent). They'd probably thrown in another BS contract our way as well.
This is why we don't fire Williams. He is our Negotiator in Chief. You have to give something to the Wizards they can sell to their fans. Yogi and Skal do NOT have a future on this team, especially with Boggy being moved to the point. That makes Yogi arguably 4th string behind Mason.
Jackson and Willie are addition by subtraction in my mind. I don't want to lose Shump, but if the Wizards want a veteran presence to replace Otto then you include him. Of course Z-Bo and /or Koufos would be make the salaries match. Ben is deadweight. That's at least six players over whom the Wizards can have their choice. But you need a savvy negotiator to hide your cards and not let them know this or they will take their pick of players and then try to squeeze you for more, they will insist on a future first round pick or Buddy or something insane. So you make lowball and reasonable offers for a player overpaid by 10M per year. When they counter asking for players you would eventually include anyway, they will think they "won" the negotiations . This is how negotiations work. I guarantee you Vlade does not know this! By the way I was expounding on this trade idea yesterday as a match made in Hoop Heaven, once again the Blob is ahead of the Curve. :cool: . To summarize the Wiz can ultimately mix and match with any of the players, but Brandon doesn't let them him know this if he is smart, which I think he is. But all these players should be available if it is what it takes to add Otto Porter:

- Ben
- Willie
- Skal
- Jackson
- Z-Bo
- Koufos
- Yogi
- Shump

Yep over half roster should be up for grabs!

This is why we don't fire Williams. He is our Negotiator in Chief. You have to give something to the Wizards they can sell to their fans. Yogi and Skal do NOT have a future on this team, especially with Boggy being moved to the point. That makes Yogi arguably 4th string behind Mason.
Jackson and Willie are addition by subtraction in my mind. I don't want to lose Shump, but if the Wizards want a veteran presence to replace Otto then you include him. Of course Z-Bo and /or Koufos would be make the salaries match. Ben is deadweight. That's at least six players over whom the Wizards can have their choice. But you need a savvy negotiator to hide your cards and not let them know this or they will take their pick of players and then try to squeeze you for more, they will insist on a future first round pick or Buddy or something insane. So you make lowball and reasonable offers for a player overpaid by 10M per year. When they counter asking for players you would eventually include anyway, they will think they "won" the negotiations . This is how negotiations work. I guarantee you Vlade does not know this! By the way I was expounding on this trade idea yesterday as a match made in Hoop Heaven, once again the Blob is ahead of the Curve. :cool: . To summarize the Wiz can ultimately mix and match with any of the players, but Brandon doesn't let them him know this if he is smart, which I think he is. But all these players should be available if it is what it takes to add Otto Porter:

- Ben
- Willie
- Skal
- Jackson
- Z-Bo
- Koufos
- Yogi
- Shump

And it wont be enough. Wiz are going to need value, more than that, with cap relief. Porter still a good player.

This is the smart take.

He can help. We need him. Just don't get ripped off. His contract ends when we need to cash up our young guys anyway. Put down the crackpipe of mediocrity people.

- Ben
- Willie
- Skal
- Jackson
- Z-Bo
- Koufos
- Yogi
- Shump

lol at your assumption that Vlade doesn't know the extreme basics of negotiation, and that you, Internet Star, do.