Kings interested in Lin?

Lin would a solid fit for the second unit. Still a good playmaker and a veteran ball handler to put on the floor with Bogdan. I’m guessing they aren’t content with Yogi or Frank

There's no way they get a first for Lin
Lin is a fringe starter in the NBA when he's healthy. He's been healthy this year and has played good for their second unit. He's been averaging 19.5mins: 10.8pts 3.6asts 2.4rebs on 47.8/34.7/83.3.

Hard pressed to find a better backup PG out there. Ironically he'd be perfect for a team like Houston....

Lin is a fringe starter in the NBA when he's healthy. He's been healthy this year and has played good for their second unit. He's been averaging 19.5mins: 10.8pts 3.6asts 2.4rebs on 47.8/34.7/83.3.

Hard pressed to find a better backup PG out there. Ironically he'd be perfect for a team like Houston....
Yeah, I could see Houston trading a first if they could get back Lin and someone like Dedmon to help out at center with Capela out. Salaries match well enough with Knight and Chriss going to ATL, I think.

If this was Feb 6, and no other way to use cap space for a 1st rd pick, or as part of a starting SF Trade,

Then I would trade McBen, 8.3 mil cap space, and a 2nd rd pick for Lin

That is still a lot of Mulah (about 4.15 Mil for 1/2 season) for an upgrade in a Backup PG

But until Feb 6, then we are still the only team with cap space ,
so still too early for this deal!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lin would a solid fit for the second unit. Still a good playmaker and a veteran ball handler to put on the floor with Bogdan. I’m guessing they aren’t content with Yogi or Frank
I'm guessing you're reading way too much into a tiny bit of Hawks testing the waters.

As dude12 mentioned, the Kings are going to be tied via rumor to about a bazillion different trade scenarios as the deadline approaches. I wouldn't put much credence into any of them. Vlade runs his office much like Petrie did (with the exception of a couple of recent leaks by minority owners). The rule with Petrie rumors used to be if the Kings are mentioned, the Kings aren't really involved. I strongly suspect the same will hold true regarding any potential trade deals Vlade might be quietly exploring. He doesn't have to do anything right now. What he's going to avoid at all costs is making any trade that could have a negative impact on the chemistry he's worked so hard to create.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here’s the thing in regards to Lin and others who get tied to rumors with the Kings. Vlade and the Kings and Joerger have invested a tremendous amount of time building a team culture and unless it’s a trade acquiring a really, really clear cut upgrade, I don’t see them pulling the trigger on a deal for Jeremy Lin which would push Yogi to the bench. For one, I don’t believe there is that much of an upgrade over Yogi.

Now there might have been something along the lines of, yeah we will take if you attach an asset to him but more likely it’s the Hawks trying to build value for Lin.

I'm guessing you're reading way too much into a tiny bit of Hawks testing the waters.

As dude12 mentioned, the Kings are going to be tied via rumor to about a bazillion different trade scenarios as the deadline approaches. I wouldn't put much credence into any of them. Vlade runs his office much like Petrie did (with the exception of a couple of recent leaks by minority owners). The rule with Petrie rumors used to be if the Kings are mentioned, the Kings aren't really involved. I strongly suspect the same will hold true regarding any potential trade deals Vlade might be quietly exploring. He doesn't have to do anything right now. What he's going to avoid at all costs is making any trade that could have a negative impact on the chemistry he's worked so hard to create.
I’m guessing that’s a possibility as well

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Agreed, but I would only trade ending contracts and maybe second rounders for him. The 10 man rotation the Kings have going now is begining to gell and performing. JJ, Hary, and Marvin. are all guys I would not move so I guess for me the question is if we bring in a new guy who goes out of the rotation?

Back when Yogi was glued to the bench, and we were subjected to Mason as the lead bench guard, I was looking for the Kings to make a move like this.
But now that Yogi reestablished himself as the player we all thought he would be, Lin would be a very minor upgrade. Yogi with Bogi is a very strong combination, and Lin is a luxury on a team without a real SF or shotblocking presence.

Ben, Frank and a 2nd is the most I would part with, and I have to think the Hawks can do better.

Here’s the thing in regards to Lin and others who get tied to rumors with the Kings. Vlade and the Kings and Joerger have invested a tremendous amount of time building a team culture and unless it’s a trade acquiring a really, really clear cut upgrade, I don’t see them pulling the trigger on a deal for Jeremy Lin which would push Yogi to the bench. For one, I don’t believe there is that much of an upgrade over Yogi.

Now there might have been something along the lines of, yeah we will take if you attach an asset to him but more likely it’s the Hawks trying to build value for Lin.
I think Lin is clearly better than Yogi. Yogi is an undersized combo guard. His handles are ok, but he lacks driving ability. A lot of Yogi's role is floor spacing rather than playmaking. As a result, a lot of the burden falls on Bogdanovic to create for our second unit. If you add Lin, you're also adding a legitimate PG to the team. This team really misses an attacker when Fox isn't on the floor. Lin is one of the better drivers in the league. One thing I realized is that the Kings do a lot of perimeter passing rather than drive and kick. Lin also brings the facilitating ability to help lessen Bogdanovic's offensive load. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to call Bogdanovic our back up PG at this point. He averages 3.9apg

Right now, our bench heavily relies on hoping that the back ups show up... With the addition of Lin, I don't think you have to worry about that. I think adding Lin would put us in the playoffs, but not if we give up another key player. So what's the price tag?

I don't think Atlanta would want anything short of a promising solid young player or a 1st rounder. Don't think we can afford to offer either unless it guarantees we're in the playoffs.

The Hawks may have interest in Skal as a stretch 5 prospect to develop along with Spellman.

We need a starting center who can stretch the floor and rebound, a backup PG, and a starting SF. Two of those three holes might be filled in short order by in-house youth development, but backup PG will remain a deficiency until addressed either via trade or via free agency. Thus, Lin makes sense. He is better than Yogi and might be had at a good price. But, more likely is that the Mavs are overpricing Smith and the Hawks are trying to bait the Magic and/or Suns into a deal.

He may add a taller more experienced point guard but if this is our answer then it leaves me looking for more. I know we have a truly great point guard now but at this point in Lin’s career he’s current traits are?
He seems like more of a slasher type guard and looking at his last 5 or 6 games hasn’t hit a outside 3 pointer.

So wouldn’t he to be productive for us I would hope he could not only drive and score or pass out but he seems likely to add to clogging the lane and with a poor outside shot teams are going to sag off of him.

Vlade hasn’t made too many bad decisions lately but I see this as more of the Hawks trying to garner interest around the league plus unless we use get a trade that doesn’t cost us a pick or core player or even our biggest chip cap space then as a backup I am a little ok with it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like Yogi, but Lin is an upgrade. Yogi isn't really a playmaker, and if you have a couple of bigs like Bagley and Giles it is nice to have a playmaker on the floor other than Bogs. I can see the interest, but it's like all these potential deals - it all depends on the price.

Would be interested in doing a poison pill contract for Malcolm Brogdon this off season. Think he’s the perfect bench pg for this team—as constructed. Solid offensively n provides a big guard that can swing btn the 1 n 2 on defense.

Would be interested in doing a poison pill contract for Malcolm Brogdon this off season. Think he’s the perfect bench pg for this team—as constructed. Solid offensively n provides a big guard that can swing btn the 1 n 2 on defense.
I actually thing this would be a great move. He's not great at any one thing but he's good at everything. He's also a team player, smart and plays solid defense. I like it. We need that consistent presence off the bench.

Only issue is I'm not sure he'll be a bench player.

So now that Taurean Prince is avail maybe ask for Lin & Prince , an upgrade at backup PG, and a starting SF 16.3 salary for What?

Yogi at 3 mil since they only have 2 PG, they only have 2 rookie PF so maybe Bjelly at 6 mil or JJ at 2.8, at least 2 2nd rounders, they save on salary

but really , no way that will be enough to get it done

Maybe they might think JJ has more long term future potential than Prince?

Fox,Lin,Mason
Buddy, Bogi,Ben
Prince,Shump
Bagley,Bjelly,Skal
WCS,Giles, KK