Kings in Orlando pre-playing thread

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date
it has to do with an excused absence versus Holmes being an unexcused breaking of the boundary. It’s more punishment then Covid safety. Given Richaun was not malicious 10 seems a bit harsh and 4 games seems a bit light from a safety standpoint.
I get the whole “excused vs unexcused” part of it but like you said, from a simply “COVID safety” standpoint, leaving the bubble entirely would seem to warrant longer than a 4 day quarantine and stand to jeopardize the “integrity” of the bubble more than crossing a line inside the bubble to pick up food. It is what it is, I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Welcome to 2020, here's your complimentary packet of ramen seasoning.
2020: a year so ridiculous that the fact that it has pretty much been raining cats and dogs in most of Japan for an entire month so much to the point that the entire southern portion of the country is awash in biblical floods all while Siberia experiences record breaking heatwaves probably won’t even make the top ten list of world events.

Also the Olympics were supposed to start this week but absolutely no one remembers that.
Really at this point I’m just happy that the Orlando bubble experiment has lasted as long as it has.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I get the whole “excused vs unexcused” part of it but like you said, from a simply “COVID safety” standpoint, leaving the bubble entirely would seem to warrant longer than a 4 day quarantine and stand to jeopardize the “integrity” of the bubble more than crossing a line inside the bubble to pick up food. It is what it is, I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it.
Gotta get that Zion money.

2020: a year so ridiculous that the fact that it has pretty much been raining cats and dogs in most of Japan for an entire month so much to the point that the entire southern portion of the country is awash in biblical floods all while Siberia experiences record breaking heatwaves probably won’t even make the top ten list of world events.

Also the Olympics were supposed to start this week but absolutely no one remembers that.
Really at this point I’m just happy that the Orlando bubble experiment has lasted as long as it has.
I do. I was supposed to go.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
more practice video.... more Bagley missing from 3.
2 for 4 = "missing".

De'Aaron's ankle is sprained so badly he's already on the stationary bike. I mean, there's not much to take home from a two-minute, half-silent clip of shoot-around, but I don't get the urge to spin it negative off the jump.

2 for 4 = "missing".

De'Aaron's ankle is sprained so badly he's already on the stationary bike. I mean, there's not much to take home from a two-minute, half-silent clip of shoot-around, but I don't get the urge to spin it negative off the jump.
With no pressure in practice. It isn’t great. Perhaps he will be better, it certainly isn’t definitive. But at this point it is all we have to judge progress in Bagley’s shooting.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
With no pressure in practice. It isn’t great. Perhaps he will be better, it certainly isn’t definitive. But at this point it is all we have to judge progress in Bagley’s shooting.
Four shots is NOT a sample size. If we saw him go 1 for 16, then you worry a bit. 2 for 4 during practice means literally nothing either way.

it’s not like those shots were the only one we have seen. Not to mention if he were shooting well the camara man would not be so quick to zoom in.
I get where you’re coming from but it is a very small sample size (even when adding the other one together).

Now this may just be practice vs game, but his shot does look quicker. He’s not jumping as high as I remember when he shoots. It’s more of a set shot. Anything to speed up his release while also limiting the amount of movement is a good thing.

Marvin is 21 years old now. MBIII is the youngest King:) It is nice that he is practicing the outside shot. If he can hit some of those in game it will require a defender which opens up the paint for the guards. It would also mean he can play in a more cohesive manner with Bigs like Holmes.

It is easy to get all over hyped about what he can and cannot do. I think I will sit back and support the Kings and enjoy the ride of this crazy season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, if Bagley can shoot 50% during the season he'll likely lead the NBA in 3 pt percentage. But come on, we got to see 4 shots and then they didn't show us the results of the following shots. For all we know those four shots may have been the first of his warm up. Do we always have to look at everything as the glass half empty?

Well, if Bagley can shoot 50% during the season he'll likely lead the NBA in 3 pt percentage. But come on, we got to see 4 shots and then they didn't show us the results of the following shots. For all we know those four shots may have been the first of his warm up. Do we always have to look at everything as the glass half empty?
It's KingsFans, I have come to expect that from most here sadly haha. But I am def on your team when it comes to this.

Marvin is 21 years old now. MBIII is the youngest King:) It is nice that he is practicing the outside shot. If he can hit some of those in game it will require a defender which opens up the paint for the guards. It would also mean he can play in a more cohesive manner with Bigs like Holmes.

It is easy to get all over hyped about what he can and cannot do. I think I will sit back and support the Kings and enjoy the ride of this crazy season.
The good thing about Bagley is that he shouldn't have to become a 3 point ace or really anything close since he has such an insane first step. He just has to become some sort of threat from outside for some of the reasons you mention. If he can draw out defenders he's going to put some hurt on opposing front lines off the dribble.

again not just 4 shots. And not saying anything definitive... but what we have seen doesn’t look great across multiple videos.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
again not just 4 shots. And not saying anything definitive... but what we have seen doesn’t look great across multiple videos.
Regardless of any other video (none of which I've seen, but I'm not seeking them out) you made the following comment:

more Bagley missing from 3.
DIRECTLY in reference to a video in which Bagley hit 2 of 4.

So yes, it WAS just four shots. And by any reasonable definition those four shots didn't qualify as "missing". But man, hilarious how that goalpost got moved from "2 of 4 = missing" to "well, I was talking about different videos" when nobody would buy into the former.

I’m gonna take a stab and say that they’re playing tennis, golf and fishing under the umbrella of the ‘bubble’. Whereas Richaun Holmes left the umbrella for his take out. There lies the difference.
I think it’s more like this:
Amenities “under the bubble” are protected from people who haven’t been tested or quarantined.
But walk outside the hotel to the drop off/pick up area and you are exposed to the outside world. Unknowingly bring the virus back into the bubble and f-up the whole end of season for the NBA.
I think the 10-day quarantine (penalty) was too severe for Holmes - especially if the rules were unclear. (We’ll never know what the same penalty would have been for LeBron or Zion.) But I understand why you would need to set an example so others take the bubble seriously. There a lot at stake.

I think it’s more like this:
Amenities “under the bubble” are protected from people who haven’t been tested or quarantined.
But walk outside the hotel to the drop off/pick up area and you are exposed to the outside world. Unknowingly bring the virus back into the bubble and f-up the whole end of season for the NBA.
I think the 10-day quarantine (penalty) was too severe for Holmes - especially if the rules were unclear. (We’ll never know what the same penalty would have been for LeBron or Zion.) But I understand why you would need to set an example so others take the bubble seriously. There a lot at stake.
I'm not sure that it was too severe. It was meant as a deterrent and in light of the players being tested either every day or every other day, it really indicates that they are taking it serious. The four days seems appropriate when the leave is justified and approved. Within four days is when symptoms typically appear and with the testing being done, asymptomatic should still show up positive.

And if it was because it was unclear, that stinks but it wouldn't have hurt to ask. Especially given the penalty for being wrong.