[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies - Saturday, Dec. 21 - 5PT/8ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
They always press at the end of games when trailing. And it is effective at least on some level. But Walton never let's them press during other parts of the game. Its baffling.

Ignoring the whole Luka debate. What do you expect from a #2 pick? Is Bagley delivering? His play is not smart. Nor is Buddys. Fox plays very smart. He will be fine. Not so sure on the other two in terms of long term winning players.
I don’t see an all star player his IQ is low and he’s a terrible defender. Tired of the patience talk he can become a good player I believe but game changers you see it in them early and you know it. Look at Jackson we knew last year this kid has it, Trae has it all world bad defender but he’s next level offensively. Bagley has a nice running hook in the post but he struggles getting position even on big SFs

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Reminder: Game threads are for game discussion. Trade proposals, ideas, etc. go in the Personnel Moves forum. Thanks.

I don’t see an all star player his IQ is low and he’s a terrible defender. Tired of the patience talk he can become a good player I believe but game changers you see it in them early and you know it. Look at Jackson we knew last year this kid has it, Trae has it all world bad defender but he’s next level offensively. Bagley has a nice running hook in the post but he struggles getting position even on big SFs
Trae is garbage. He’s a short Buddy with a handle.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, this game thread is now so far out in the weeds not even GPS can find it. ;)

Have a good night, folks. Come back Monday when the Kings host the Rockets.

Recap of the game for those who missed it (I recommend you skip watching it to save you some unnecessary frustration):

- Buddy and Barnes continued their cold shooting as of late, they did have a short spurt where both went off for several consecutive shots cutting the lead to 3 but back to back turnovers halted the momentum.
- Lots of straight line drives by for Memphis causing foul trouble for both Bagley and Holmes.
- Buddy ascended to Dummy Hield 2.0 tonight. Weak with the ball, forced off balance and wild shots going to the basket. Credit Memphis to causing some of that frustration, taking advantage of some of Buddy's weaknesses, he continually had the ball poked at, I'm sure at least one of his passes to no one was caused by Memphis's defense, that or he was possessed by the holy spirit of Dewayne Dedmon.
- There was a time before the half where Cory Joseph took 4 out of the 5 shots for the Kings shots.
- At times Fox frustrated Morant, who had a poor game tonight.

Last edited:
Ok, just for reference. Prior to the last few games Buddy quietly carried this team on his way to putting up about 25, 5, and 5 per game. I'm telling you, with the plays Walton is running for him there is probably no greater victim in the lack of spacing than him. Beyond not getting him any easy inside looks off of the middle pick and roll, without the spacing the team needs to move towards it allows defenders to play very close to him and then blitz him off of the screen.

Besides the obvious chemistry issues right now these are the 3 main problems:

1. Spacing
2. Over help
3. Too much side to side movement into the shot

The Kings are taking too many unnecessarily tough shots.

Also, we need to see much more of Fox, Buddy, Barnes, and Ariza out there with a rotating Bjelica, Bagley, and Holmes at center at least until things start gelling again. With the Rockets it's mandatory anyway but that unit is most capable of playing that help defensive scheme Walton wants while also providing offensive advantages the team needs.

If Buddy was half the playmaker Trae is he’d be an all star
Well, I think this is disingenuous because Trae is fully the playmaker that Trae is and he’s not an All-Star either. Both these guys are comically bad at defense.
This whole analytics business has turned glorified 6th men into fake superstars, and it’s absolutely ridiculous. Statisticians are supposed to be wicked smart, but they apparently have a 12 year old’s understanding of the game.

Well, I think this is disingenuous because Trae is fully the playmaker that Trae is and he’s not an All-Star either. Both these guys are comically bad at defense.
This whole analytics business has turned glorified 6th men into fake superstars, and it’s absolutely ridiculous. Statisticians are supposed to be wicked smart, but they apparently have a 12 year old’s understanding of the game.
You sure he won't be an all-star this year? Not saying he deserves it but I could see it happening.

What exactly is the problem with him offensively (other than bad shot selection at times)?

Defensively I agree yes he is beyond atrocious. Just pathetic defensively.

You sure he won't be an all-star this year? Not saying he deserves it but I could see it happening.

What exactly is the problem with him offensively (other than bad shot selection at times)?

Defensively I agree yes he is beyond atrocious. Just pathetic defensively.
If a PG (who plays literally zero defense—as in he rarely even knows where his man is) from a 6-23 team is an All-Star, then Silver needs to figure out a lot more fixes to the league then just a half-baked midseason tourney.

If a PG (who plays literally zero defense—as in he rarely even knows where his man is) from a 6-23 team is an All-Star, then Silver needs to figure out a lot more fixes to the league then just a half-baked midseason tourney.
I mostly agree but sadly very good chance he's an all-star anyways. Offensively though he is an effective player.

Status
Not open for further replies.