[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies - Friday, Nov. 16 - 5:00 PM PT

I’m just salty because he’s slumping.

Slump + getting owned by a fellow draftee isn’t a good combo for a guy who very much disagreed with the pick from the moment it was announced.
Its all part of the growing process. I still think he will be ok. He has figuring out to do, but I have been encouraged by what he has shown.

Hey we hit more free throws, 3 pointers and had more rebounds and thats what we have been wanting.

We got out rotated and were soft inside and this one was on the coach for not putting someone on Jackson that at least could stay in front of him.

Problem was our guards. Memphis is big, we were gonna lose that battle. Particularly the Mason turnover during our comeback killed the momentum. Just can't have an uncontested travel there by a pg. We need to try out Yogi next game!
Yeah not sure why we wouldn’t point at our guards who had horrible assist to turnover ratios:

Fox. 10 assists. 6 turnovers
Hield. 3 assists. 3 turnovers
Bogdan. 2 assists. 2 turnovers
Mason. 1 assist. 3 turnovers

Total. 16 assists. 14 Turnovers.

Let’s call it what it is. Crappy guard play. Forced to many hero ball shots and didn’t set up teammates well.

Do we really have to hear definitive statements all year. If you looked at Fox last year his numbers were horrible. Let’s at least wait and see what happens for a bit.
And you were told over the summer he showed star potential and was the franchise’s top asset when you complained about him

Yeah not sure why we wouldn’t point at our guards who had horrible assist to turnover ratios:

Fox. 10 assists. 6 turnovers
Hield. 3 assists. 3 turnovers
Bogdan. 2 assists. 2 turnovers
Mason. 1 assist. 3 turnovers

Total. 16 assists. 14 Turnovers.

Let’s call it what it is. Crappy guard play. Forced to many hero ball shots and didn’t set up teammates well.
Sloppy. Memphis is an ugly blah team that seems to make the shot when they need to. 1-1 against them this year. Sounds about right.

Don’t let silly things like stats cloud your vision, Bagley was clearly the right pick for this team (or something)
It’s amazing to me how some fans never learn.

Just last season we heard the same nightly diatribe about De’Aaron Fox and how numerous other players would have been better picks.

Now that Fox looks like he’s flipping the script in year 2, those same fans are saying the same things about Bagley. They still haven’t realized that the marathon doesn’t conclude in just one season, let alone 15 games into one season.

This madness isn’t bound to end any time soon either. We’ve been through this with each and every draft pick in recent memory. Final judgement and absolute statements begin in Summer League.

Sloppy. Memphis is an ugly blah team that seems to make the shot when they need to. 1-1 against them this year. Sounds about right.
Yeah, the KINGS needed to win this one. Memphis isn’t a great team at all. The Kings have more talent and are a better team. They let this one get away from them. It all started once they got up 44-40. They still had plenty of chances to bail themselves out and post a W. Hopefully they make up for it tomorrow night.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
No one is calling him a bust? His showing is not on par with a 2nd pick, other peers are showing better, and thus the situation is disappointing on its face. Why can’t that be said? It’s a spade is a spade.
This is perfectly fair, and I don’t see where the argument is against it.

Not everything is as black and white as “HES A BUST” or “HES THE BEST.” Bagley’s struggling right now. People can and will be disappointed.

Just last season we heard the same nightly diatribe about De’Aaron Fox and how numerous other players would have been better picks.

Now that Fox looks like he’s flipping the script in year 2, those same fans are saying the same things about Bagley. They still haven’t realized that the marathon doesn’t conclude in just one season, let alone 15 games into one season.

This madness isn’t bound to end any time soon either. We’ve been through this with each and every draft pick in recent memory. Final judgement and absolute statements begin in Summer League.
One good selection in Fox has earned the benefit of doubt for a franchise that has messed up for so many times

gunks

Hall of Famer
Here's some unsolicited advice to everyone griping about Bagley:

He's gonna be kinda crappy this season. Accept it. Save the ire for if he's still crappy NEXT season. A rookie season doesn't make a career.

Sincerely,

Somebody who was all in on Doncic, would have been intrigued by JJJ or Bamba, was wary of the Bagley pick, but totally happy we passed on MPJ.

Ps: don't forget that Fox was pretty crappy last year, but occasionally flashed the kind of neat stuff he's been doing on the regular this season. I'm not saying Bagley is gonna make that kind of leap. I'm just saying Bagley flashes neat stuff.

Last edited:
Bjelly needs to move to the second unit. Opposing teams are going to attack him with quicker bigs like JJJ n Siakam. New NBA rules are really hurting him. He needs his hands.

Don’t get the Bags hate. Memphis is a team that boards as a group. They block out n shade so others can get boards. I like JJJ, but to say that to you want him over Bags is just silly.

Kings could’ve won that game. In past yrs, Kings get blown out.

Buddy disappeared tonight too, Soft Buddy showed up.

No one is calling him a bust? His showing is not on par with a 2nd pick, other peers are showing better, and thus the situation is disappointing on its face. Why can’t that be said? It’s a spade is a spade.
Because it’s premature especially for a kid as raw as Bagley. Fox sure as heck didn’t show to be on par with the 5th pick last year and now he looks better.

I think it’s fair to say year 1 some other picks look better and in some cases it’s to be expected. Possibly concerning yes... he needs to learn to not force the ball and be more fundamentally sound. But we all knew he was raw so isn’t that to be expected?

Because it’s premature especially for a kid as raw as Bagley. Fox sure as heck didn’t show to be on par with the 5th pick last year and now he looks better.

I think it’s fair to say year 1 some other picks look better and in some cases it’s to be expected. Possibly concerning yes... he needs to learn to not force the ball and be more fundamentally sound. But we all knew he was raw so isn’t that to be expected?
Fox did show intermittent flashes of stardome last year. He toyed with SL. Was great the first few weeks. Showed star traits down the stretch of games. Intermittently had games, like those against the Spurs, where you thought the talent was there, he just needed to put it together. But there were discernible star traits on display, which is why, despite advanced stats, users, including me, made clear in the summer he was the team’s go to talent. It’s not like he didn’t show anything last year and was a complete surprise to many.

He was in an offensive system not suited to him, in addition to being a rook

Maybe fans just haven't been encouraged with Bagley's recent play?
Memphis: got outplayed and only grabbed 1 rebound in 20mins of play
Spurs: inefficient offense and turnover machine
Lakers: padded his stats in a lost, but still shot 5-12
TWolves: struggled most of the game

If I were to ask you for a list of strengths.. the only thing you'd probably be able to come up with is being able to run the floor. His athleticism even gets negligible all the time in the half-court. I think he's got very very raw bball IQ.

I hope Bagley starts to improve soon, but these last few games by him have been more than ugly.

Fox did show intermittent flashes of stardome last year. He toyed with SL. Was great the first few weeks. Showed star traits down the stretch of games. Intermittently had games, like those against the Spurs, where you thought the talent was there, he just needed to put it together. But there were discernible star traits on display, which is why, despite advanced stats, users, including me, made clear in the summer he was the team’s go to talent. It’s not like he didn’t show anything last year and was a complete surprise to many.

He was in an offensive system not suited to him, in addition to being a rook
Ya I remember fox being really good at first then regressed a little in February I believe

Where to even begin?

First off I think De'Aaron played great, good enough to win.

Watching him miss the FT then immediately make up for it by ripping Shelvin Mack's dribble was my favorite play.

As far as the Bagley vs JJJ matchup, that was rough but IMO, to be expected..

I think many surprised here didn't see them play last year, early in the season MSU vs Duke. Jackson won that matchup decisively as well...

In the NBA unless your prime d-rose, KD or AD you have soem good and bad matchups nightly, and for Marvin JJJ is a bad matchup, he's longer, stronger and plenty quick, Plus MArvin's J is still in it's formative years so JJJ isn'tgonna respect it...

Marvin is more NBA ready in certain aspects than JJJ, but not when it comes to battling in the trenches, JJJ is much better equipped for that at this stage.

Turnovers (Fox + Hield), putrid defense (Bagley), and poor execution, especially down the stretch, really killed us tonight. It was a frustrating game because that win was there for the taking. But young teams tend to do exactly what we did. On to the next one.

The Kings' goal should be to run Memphis off the floor. I would want some of the veterans like Gasol to head to the bench shaking their heads that they have never seen a track meet like playing Sacramento. The Kings can use plenty of guys and they are rested. Make the older teams pay. Speed kills.

As far as the Bagley vs JJJ matchup, that was rough but IMO, to be expected..

I think many surprised here didn't see them play last year, early in the season MSU vs Duke. Jackson won that matchup decisively as well...

In the NBA unless your prime d-rose, KD or AD you have soem good and bad matchups nightly, and for Marvin JJJ is a bad matchup, he's longer, stronger and plenty quick, Plus MArvin's J is still in it's formative years so JJJ isn'tgonna respect it...

Marvin is more NBA ready in certain aspects than JJJ, but not when it comes to battling in the trenches, JJJ is much better equipped for that at this stage.
I must've been watching a different game then everyone here.

See box score here: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401070901

Memphis clearly designed a game plan to exploit Bjelly. Look at the number of FGs for JJJ vs the number of FGs for Bags. And they didn't exactly match up with each other when on the floor at the same time--less than 50% of the time. Bags low rebounding was directly related to 1. being used as the screen and roller on offense and 2. Memphis being an excellent rebounding team--they box out and shield opposing players extremely well. Rebounds that Bags would normally be able to get against less effective rebounding teams, he wasn't able to grab in this game because he often rolled into box outs and shielding defenders.

JJJ is longer than Bags and it showed in last year's MSU vs. Duke game as well. But the physical trajectory of the two are completely different--JJJ projects as a traditional big with an awkward, but effective shot. While Bags is going to end up being a 4, who can play some 3, grab a board, bring it up the floor and then score or dish.

The biggest worry from last night was Bjelly--not Bags. His defensive shortcomings are impacting his offensive game. Joeger needs to hide him by sending him to the second unit and letting Bjelly and Bogs do their thing. The reason why Joeger hasn't done so is because of our hole at the 3 spot. We need a 3, who can consistently stretch the floor. Shump is hit or miss.