[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies - Friday, Nov. 16 - 5:00 PM PT

I'm in total agreement with Reynolds - Marvin needs more time on the floor.

Joerger needs to make a move and start him or just get him more minutes because Bjelica is showing diminishing returns. If Joerger wanted Bjelica to show him why he should start, or get some pretty big minutes, Bjelica just failed the test.

They need to cut the big man rotation to more of a 3 man then. I don't think anyone expected the Kings to win this many games so far and right now the stats indicate that Bjelica is going to determine the Kings fate on a nightly basis. Bagley actually has poorer individual returns on average in the Kings wins.

Kings will grow from this game. Beside the sloppy play, there was a lot to like in this game. Nice competitiveness and perseverance.

I thought the coaching staff would have Bjelica on Gasol tonight, because JJJ is too quick for him. That’s not Bjelica’s fault.

Also not a fan of leaving in the unit that was on the floor almost the whole fourth quarter. I get the reasoning, but Fox made some mistakes that looked like fatigue influenced, and Willie could have used a breather. Would have like to see Bogdan, but it looked like they were matching for defense and leaving in the players that were responsible for the comeback. That’s cool, interested to see what happens tomorrow.

I'm in total agreement with Reynolds - Marvin needs more time on the floor.

Joerger needs to make a move and start him or just get him more minutes because Bjelica is showing diminishing returns. If Joerger wanted Bjelica to show him why he should start, or get some pretty big minutes, Bjelica just failed the test.
I'm not sure why everyone says this. Bjelica shot 40% from 3, got 6 rebounds, had 3 assists, and 1 steal with 1 turnover in 28 minutes. I counted the ISOs Jackson had on him at the beginning of the game in the post and Jackson scored 2 out of 5. Jackson finished 11/16 which means he did better after Joeger "fixed" his mistake. The problem Bagley has, which is suprising, is rebounding. He just does not rebound well. Maybe its a matter of expectations but 1 rebound in 20 minutes is not good. I think Bagley in the starting unit (as of now) would shrink the floor and rebounding would suffer.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They need to cut the big man rotation to more of a 3 man then. I don't think anyone expected the Kings to win this many games so far and right now the stats indicate that Bjelica is going to determine the Kings fate on a nightly basis. Bagley actually has poorer individual returns on average in the Kings wins.
Forget average stats. It may be useful as a general outlook on things, but not an individual game. In this game, Bjelica was putrid when put on Jackson. Should Joerger keep him on Jackson because of stats? If he does, I'd say he's not looking at the right stat - three straight possessions with Jackson getting buckets.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why everyone says this. Bjelica shot 40% from 3, got 6 rebounds, had 3 assists, and 1 steal with 1 turnover in 28 minutes. I counted the ISOs Jackson had on him at the beginning of the game in the post and Jackson scored 2 out of 5. Jackson finished 11/16 which means he did better after Joeger "fixed" his mistake. The problem Bagley has, which is suprising, is rebounding. He just does not rebound well. Maybe its a matter of expectations but 1 rebound in 20 minutes is not good. I think Bagley in the starting unit (as of now) would shrink the floor and rebounding would suffer.
Did you watch the game, or are you just viewing an Excel spreadsheet?

Forget average stats. It may be useful as a general outlook on things, but not an individual game. In this game, Bjelica was putrid when put on Jackson. Should Joerger keep him on Jackson because of stats? If he does, I'd say he's not looking at the right stat - three straight possessions with Jackson getting buckets.
Well considering the Kings are largely an offensive team yes, stats do matter. Especially PPG and shooting efficiency. Individual D? Eh. I mean, this is really strange how Bjelica's individual game is such an indicator. I brought up why that might be previously and it's because he more than any other player is symbolic of how the Kings play in their wins. They have stretches where they just flood the other team with a run or two. In the better games from him he's typically one of those run guys. Buddy, Fox, and Bogdan have also been that player. That's also why it's critical we see those 3 on the floor together. The Kings never seem to be at full capacity and they'll need to be if they want to go anywhere in the long run.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well considering the Kings are largely an offensive team yes, stats do matter. Especially PPG and shooting efficiency. I mean, this is really strange how Bjelica's individual game is such an indicator. I brought up why that might be previously and it's because he more than any other player is symbolic of how the Kings play in their wins. They have stretches where they just flood the other team with a run or two. In the better games from him he's typically one of those run guys. Buddy, Fox, and Bogdan have also been that player. That's also why it's critical we see those 3 on the floor together. The Kings never seem to be at full capacity and they'll need to be if they want to go anywhere in the long run.
Have you considered that maybe the brief history of Bjelica's stats may not be predictors of the future? Or that possibly other coaches have seen the same "predictive" data and made some adjustments that Bjelica cannot handle? Such as going at him repeatedly on the defensive end of the floor?

Stop the jiberish. Why would you want to have Bjelica the same amount of time or more time in this game?
I'm not sure how to respond If I'm not allowed to say that I saw Jackson score 2 times on Bjelica in a row and then get stopped by Bjelica 3 times in a row in the paint at the beginning of the game. Jackson also had a 3 pointer during that stretch but I don't think that's because of Bjelica. Mabye you just noticed the first 2 baskets and decided that was it? Anyway, I was not advocating for more minutes, I just think that Bagley in the starting lineup would affect the starting lineup negatively because of spacing.

Have you considered that maybe the brief history of Bjelica's stats may not be predictors of the future? Or that possibly other coaches have seen the same "predictive" data and made some adjustments that Bjelica cannot handle? Such as going at him repeatedly on the defensive end of the floor?

What team hasn't gone at the Kings in general on the defensive end though? He had a rough go early on in this one but most games Bjelica has been alright on defense. And right now, no way you slice it, on average his offensive givings have determined more wins and losses for the reasons based around the Kings system offensively.

I'm not sure how to respond If I'm not allowed to say that I saw Jackson score 2 times on Bjelica in a row and then get stopped by Bjelica 3 times in a row in the paint at the beginning of the game. Jackson also had a 3 pointer during that stretch but I don't think that's because of Bjelica. Mabye you just noticed the first 2 baskets and decided that was it? Anyway, I was not advocating for more minutes, I just think that Bagley in the starting lineup would affect the starting lineup negatively because of spacing.
Personally I would like to see more Bagley and Bjelica TOGETHER. If they want to keep giving Bagley the ball in the post Bjelica and him would make a nice complimentary duo.

Problem was our guards. Memphis is big, we were gonna lose that battle. Particularly the Mason turnover during our comeback killed the momentum. Just can't have an uncontested travel there by a pg. We need to try out Yogi next game!

It's not an issue, and I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. It's time to play Bagley many more minutes and work through his mistakes.
As inconsistent and subpar lately as Bjelica has been, Bagley is not ready whatsoever. I understand the typical desire to let the high pick get his reps, but Bagley would negate the growth of that starting unit IMO

Any opportunity? The 2 pick has been bad for a stretch of games and not giving the fan base a comfortable feeling about his future. I think you’d have to be pretty half glass full to not think of it as an issue.

He needs to do better

If I was half glass empty, Fox is a star, Buddy/Bogdan are money. We need more now
My feeling is Bagley is going to have a lot of good stretches of games, which he has, and a lot of bad stretches of games, which he has.

He’s not alone. The guy who looked like a “star” tonight has looked like a complete can on other nights and he’s pretty much a starter by default since Grizzlies only have two usable bigs both who start

Where we differ is that I am comfortable with what Bagley has shown that makes me believe he’ll be the power forward that we envision in the future. His second jump, his speed, they way he runs the floor, his post moves and his inside outside potential. He’ll be an open court threat and an iso option. That’s what his good games have shown me. He’s had more of those and I’ve seen more that I like.

My only gripe with Bagley is he should get 6-7 rebounds in his current minutes output every night. I don’t expect the offense to work for him every night as a rookie but there’s really no reason for him to have a 1 rebound game in 20 minutes.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I view Bagley is similar ways I viewed Fox last year and I mentioned it after a Fox stinker last year. I watched Fox and thought there was no way he wasn’t going to be a stud. I feel the same watching Bagley. He’s a very distinctive athlete with unlimited offensive potential that has been flashed a comfortable amount of times for me so far this season though since the Kings are playing .500 ball we don’t want the ups and downs of a rookie in important roles like the one Bagley possesses but he’ll keep getting better. Having turned on many of draft picks and Bagley not being my personal choice on draft night. I don’t feel
I’m being too easy on him. I just don’t think you are giving any credit to the good he’s done this year while ignoring that every rookie be it Ayton, JJJ, Young or even Doncic have had their share of stinkers already. We can’t write off a 19-8 as nothing and then act like 7-1 means everything. He’s just going to have a lot of highs and a lot of lows but I don’t see any inherent flaws that will prevent him from reaching his
potential. Not bad hands, bad footwork, not lack of feel for the game outside of that typical for a rookie, he won’t forevor be scrawny..I just see sky and not that many barriers

Last edited:
Just got back from the game. Didnt push the tempo, casual ballhandling led to way too many turnovers, jackson feasting on every big we had, gasol being left open by willie for god knows why. If the grizz hit their free throws it would have been way worse

What team hasn't gone at the Kings in general on the defensive end though? He had a rough go early on in this one but most games Bjelica has been alright on defense. And right now, no way you slice it, on average his offensive givings have determined more wins and losses for the reasons based around the Kings system offensively.
Well, we can't have a team that wins when Belly hits a couple bomb open three pointers and loses when he doesn't. We're going to have to find a way to integrate him and every other player to maximize their contribution even when shots aren't falling.

If Bagley can crush opponent like JJJ then he should get shots, instead he either travel or commit offensive fouls
He’s athletic though and JJJ might take the ball out of Fox hands.

Seriously, I had and still believe JJJ will be better than Ayton and Phoenix fans a complaining about the stuff we saw from Ayton in college

Memphis in Memphis is very difficult, glad we kept it close. Hate losing and this is one of those ones we need if we are to keep our postseason dreams alive. Confident we will keep improving

Mason has really established himself as a strong on-ball defender. He really got after Conley tonight

Once i noticed that a few games ago a stopped asking why they’re doghousing Yogi because I’m sure Masons defense is what’s getting him the nod. I’m not sure it makes up for the energy and the potential offensive explosions we’re missing out on with Yogi though