• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Official Gameday Thread
Game 38
Sacramento Kings @ Memphis Grizzlies

By Stephen Tetsu, I also Buy Khakis from Walmart

The last four minutes of the game in a nutshell.

Well, despite our best efforts to do the opposite, our upstart Kings managed to escape from Minnesota with victory in hand.

Despite maintaining a double digit lead through the halfway mark of the fourth quarter, the game became a nail biter when, during a timeout around the four minute mark, Isaiah Thomas was bitten by a radioactive stupid person and this endowed with all the stupidity of a village idiot. When all was said and done, it took an inspired bit of coaching by Coach Malone and Rudy and Cuz being awesome to keep the game in our grasp. So yeah. That happened.

A victory is a victory but this should probably count as a 19/20ths of a victory because we sure as hell lost the last couple of minutes. Now onto to Memphis, stage two of our small forward rotation's payback tour. #HereWeDrop50PointsOnPrince

Observations
  • Isaiah Thomas at half time: 6 assists. Isaiah Thomas at the end of the game: 7 assists, 7 turnovers. Not bad for a borderline MVP candidate.
  • Rudy Gay is pretty good. Thanks Toronto.
  • Despite having the worst first half of his entire career, Demarcus still inexplicably put up a neat 20-11 night. Can anyone say all-star?
  • If a struggling Ben McLemore sprains his ankle in an amply Target Center, does it make a sound?
  • Pretty sure Pekovic is actually a caveman lost in time.
  • I don't think Rick Adelman ever ages. He looks exactly the same as he did when he was coaching the Kings a decade ago. There must be something in the water up in Minnesota.
  • Luc Mbah a Moute did not even see the floor. Meanwhile, D-Will was his usual athletic self. Quite possibly the best in game dunker we've had since GW. Thus far, it looks like we've won that trade, no matter how much defense we lost in the move.
  • There once was a man named Demarcus,
    who put up the same stats as Lamarcus
    But when the voting was done,
    All Kings fans were stunned
    because Dwight Howard ruins everything.

The View From the Other Side: T-Wolves Edition
All comments taken from CanisHoopus.com. (My work computer has trouble processing time so the time charting is possibly wildly off on this.)
6:37 Prediction: Derrick Williams WILL light us up for 30 pts. Probably shoots 7 of 9 on 3's too.It just wouldn’t be the Wolves if they didn’t allow that to happen.
6:43 Ronny Turiaf #NBABallot
6:44 It will be interesting to see how Rudy Gay and Derrick Williams do All the sudden the Kings are really athletic and have a fun team to watch. With that said, good luck Wolves!
6:48 Considering the Kings are away and on the end of a back to back, we have to win this game. A loss tonight would rival our Lakers loss in failure.
7:04 the Spurs>>>the Kings even though Sacramento always plays with high energy
7:08 Even though he's kind of a known commodity, DMC feels like a wild-card tonight. As well as he’s been playing lately, and as much trouble as Pek generally gives him, I feel like anything could happen in this game.​
7:11 eesh thats a pretty empty looking target center
7:12 two steals and a layup into the bottom of the rim typical minute for Ricky
7:15 Sac's offensive efficiency has been lights out recently Let’s hope the Wolves can keep it close and perhaps sneak out a victory
7:21 Does Adelman say anything to this team before games? Like, “Focus on running your half-court sets”, “Don’t freakin throw a full-court pass when there’s no need.”
7:23 If I have to wash down a loss with Zgoda pontificating on the glory of Sacramento's "athleticism" I'm gonna get sick
7:26 Anyone here a D-Will fan? I confess I found myself checking out more Kings games when he got traded
7:35 1/2 of Williams problem is that he looks stoned all the time probably worse thaw that he’s in northern cali
7:36 What's the deal with the Pizza guys?
7:44 If only D-Will had played more minutes here.... Sigh…
7:45 if only Dwill had some motivation while he was here
7:46 2 days rest vs back end of a b2b. We should be smoking these guys.
7:48 Kings roster is nice They should be in the playoffs next year
7:49 Haha, wow Of course DWill does something like that against us. Too bad his team still loses.
7:58 To all the ppl predicting a blowout tonight... The difference between this Sacramento squad and the several teams the Wolves have blown out of late is that Sacramento is from the West
8:05 Cousins scores two points Wolves down by ten. Very wolvsian
8:06 Wow . . . Gray stole my 1982 hair.
8:07 It really fits him As the token doofy white guy on that team.Nice dunk, though.
8:08 Jimmer would like a word with you.
8:09 He's their token "I was taken way too high guy" Can’t be both.
8:08 Gay has 22 and Luc hasn't seen the floor...?!? Wtf, Adelman?!?
8:11 Pek has 150% as many points as DMC!!!!(sob)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Last edited:
Anyone with direct tv know what channel this is on? Its not showing on 10 or csn. Im freaking out and going to have to driver to Memphs unless someone helps me here.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not gonna have much time for much of a write up. I have to cover for a coworker tomorrow so I had to take a bunch of work home with me tonight. Sorry!

K

KingMilz

Could this be the first time ever we see Aaron Gray and Cousins on the floor at the same time, if Cousins is not in foul trouble and JT is I would not mind seeing Gray on Gasol and Cousins on Z-Bo.

Is anyone else looking forward to the James Johnson vs D-Will match up both been killing it recently, Johnson had like 6 blocks his last game and has been a beast doing a bit of everything for the Grizz.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least half the team knows what the game plan for JJ should be: give him as many space as he needs to shoot, plus bait him into creating for himself. If played right, he could be this game's Rubio.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
James Johnson this season for the Grizzlies: 23.3 mpg, 8.4 ppg (46% FG, 30% 3pt), 4.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.7 bpg.

His defensive numbers are ridiculous (per 36, 2.3 spg, 2.7 bpg).

Friggin Keith Smart

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The moment James Johnson donned a Seattle cap was the moment I never wanted him on the Kings roster again. Regardless of his production.
I've heard conflicting reports on that whole situation. If I'm not mistaken, James had just returned from a leave of absence because his wife/significant other was having issues with her pregnancy. After that, things get kinda confusing.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I've heard conflicting reports on that whole situation. If I'm not mistaken, James had just returned from a leave of absence because his wife/significant other was having issues with her pregnancy. After that, things get kinda confusing.
I never got the point of the hat, to my knowledge he has no ties to Seattle at all, I chalked it up as DUMB BAD joke... but I still got no love for the guy, he sits right under Hawes on my A=Hole list.

Anyone with direct tv know what channel this is on? Its not showing on 10 or csn. Im freaking out and going to have to driver to Memphs unless someone helps me here.
Well I have Surewest TV and could not see the game either on News10 on the channel guide

But Kings site and sacbee.com both say it is on News10

I just set my DVR remotely to the 30 min news program at 5 pm (plus 3 hours) so hopefully it will record while
I am at Felipe's having my Chile Verde with the family

I never got the point of the hat, to my knowledge he has no ties to Seattle at all, I chalked it up as DUMB BAD joke... but I still got no love for the guy, he sits right under Hawes on my A=Hole list.
I always interpreted it as a show of loyalty to current ownership and an eagerness to ingratiate himself with the potential new one. if you squint real hard, it makes sense for a guy fighting for his NBA life. not a smart move, but also not one that made me despise him. his on court production took care of that.

Normally, I'd suggest Boogie be cautious tonight, going against a top 3 defensive C. But Marc is still clearly rehabbing and not close to 100%. Hope we attack him early and often, as I doubt he'll be anywhere close to his normal defensive self.

Should be interesting. Cousins will be guarded by Gasol and Gay will be guarded by Prince and Tony Allen who can give them fits. lets see how it works out

Grizzlies are always tough for us, but we have a chance with no Allen and Gasol still working his way back. If JT can keep Z-Bo on the perimeter and we push the pace to not allow their defense to get set, we should have a shot at it. Gay might not have his best individual night with Prince and Johnson guarding him though, I think Cousins will have to play big tonight.

The key to this game is going to be:

Rudy staying efficient and not forcing things just because he is playing in his old home
Cousins staying out of foul trouble (Stop reaching to knock the ball away when you man is about to take a contested shot!!!!!)