[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies, 1/17/14 5 PM PST/ 8 PM EST

Better fictional basketball player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dude12

Hall of Famer
Geez, many of the posts here remind me why I stop posting during games.....people just got to blame someone for the loss. Memphis is a tough defensive team and the refs let them be physical. Someone posted we didn't execute down the stretch.....correct. Others blaming Cuz, Gay, IT, Malone......this is dumb. We didn't get a call or two....shouldn't leave it the refs....we had opportunities. The team didn't quite get it done but its encouraging....tough loss but encouraging.

We lost the game cause of our players not the refs.
Well we were clearly fouled multiple times, which would have stopped the clock and sent us to the line, instead off the Grizzlies went the other way. We had terrible execution, but the refs refusal to call hacks gave the Grizzlies momentum and fastbreak opportunities.

If Cousins is more efficient we would have probably stretched the lead to 10, we had a chance to do it but everyone was missing shots. We let the Grizzlies hang around, and then Cousins looked tired in the 4th and was playing bad help defense on the Conley drives.
Ok? Did you quote the wrong person? What does that have to do with my comment on timing and mistakes being more significant at different times of the game?

Cousins gets a shot blocked at the start of the game and doesn't score, you can recover. IT and Rudy don't get a shot off at the very end of the game when they are behind, you can't recover. While both plays could result in points, one is much more significant than the other. Timing is important.

Ok? Did you quote the wrong person? What does that have to do with my comment on timing and mistakes being more significant at different times of the game?

Cousins gets a shot blocked at the start of the game and doesn't score, you can recover. IT and Rudy don't get a shot off at the very end of the game when they are behind, you can't recover. While both plays could result in points, one is much more significant than the other. Timing is important.
This is one of the biggest fallacies in sports.

T

Toasty

The league has already apologized for poor officiating several times this year. Coulda shoulda doesn't matter these days it seems.

What I'm saying is if Cousins is more efficient and plays better defense we aren't down 1 with 15 seconds to go. Yes, Rudy and IT had terrible execution down the stretch, but there was no reason we should have been in that situation to begin with. Thats like a running back fumbling the ball 5 times at the goal line in football, but blaming the kicker more because he misses a game winning field goal.

What I'm saying is if Cousins is more efficient and plays better defense we aren't down 1 with 15 seconds to go. Yes, Rudy and IT had terrible execution down the stretch, but there was no reason we should have been in that situation to begin with.
Sure, but we were in that situation. And what you are saying has nothing at all to do with what I said.

Why do starters close out games and not bench players? Because timing is important. If you can't grasp that, you are hopeless, as I said before.
What are you talking about? Your argument is that Cousins bad play isn't as costly to us because it didn't happen down the stretch (his bad defense certainly did), that is incredibly dumb.

What are you talking about? Your argument is that Cousins bad play isn't as costly to us because it didn't happen down the stretch (his bad defense certainly did), that is incredibly dumb.
That message wasn't to you. It was responding to his comment about what I said being the "biggest fallacy in sports."

Why do starters close out games and not bench players? Because timing is important. If you can't grasp that, you are hopeless, as I said before.
Points are points. They don't count more at the end of games than they do in the middle of the second quarter. I agree that points in the last couple of minutes of a game are harder to come by and that defensive intensity is stepped up but playing bad all game helps the team lose just as much as playing bad in the last 2 minutes of a game.

Points are points. They don't count more at the end of games than they do in the middle of the second quarter. I agree that points in the last couple of minutes of a game are harder to come by and that defensive intensity is stepped up but playing bad all game helps the team lose just as much as playing bad in the last 2 minutes of a game.
What? What are you trying to say. Scoring two points when you are down by 1 and no time left on the clock is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than scoring 2 points when the score is 0-0 and 48 minutes left. In one instance you win the game, in the other you still have 48 minutes left to play. You can hope and wish that your guys played better all game, but when they don't, you can't go back and change it. You can only play the time you have left. Which is why it is more valuable because you can still do something.

What? What are you trying to say. Scoring two points when you are down by 1 and no time left on the clock is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than scoring 2 points when the score is 0-0 and 48 minutes left. In one instance you win the game, in the other you still have 48 minutes left to play. You can hope and wish that your guys played better all game, but when they don't, you can't go back and change it. You can only play the time you have left. Which is why it is more valuable because you can still do something.
If you had scored the 2 points when it was 0-0 after the opening tip you wouldn't be down 1. See how that works?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No I meant what I said. Ibaka is OKC best defensive big. I feel he will have a fair share of time trying to defend Cuz. Otherwise it's a waste
Oh, if they actually had him try to man defend Cuz it would be a disaster for them as he ended up in the stands every play.

But how he used to bother Cousins in Cousins first couple of seasons, was letting Perkins try to hold him away from the hoop with the pushing and shoving, and then Ibaka would come flying over for the block. In fact in one game I seem to remember Ibaka getting like 7-9 blocks in fact with that. the counter of course to that is for Cuz to keep his head up, for JT to cut to the hoop as Ibaka starts his swoop, and for Cuz to hit JT for an easy layup. Not sure we have enough maturity/teamwork to consistently pull that off yet though.

We lost the game cause of our players not the refs. Your not going to beat smart tough teams like the Grizz throwing up trash. We again instead of finding a way to win found a way to loss.
Reread my post. I'm not contending the outcome of the game. I'm just tired of how bad the officials are in this league. If you're an NBA fan then you go into every year knowing the officials are going to be a major issue and nothing much is done about it. The NFL has ref problems, but the NFL will hold its officials accountable. The NBA doesn't even do that much. Why do you expect money from your customers when you won't address major issues?

Guess the refs were in a tough spot. If they called fouls like they normally do in an nba game when there is two seconds left on the clock the Gay would go to the line, shoot two and win the game. Instead they do not call the foul, then feel bad, blow a whistle, think, ummm cant just give them the free throws to win...jump ball! Now I can sleep at night!

That move makes zero sense. Why would he do this? Don't get it
This was in response to the point about Malone subbing Thornton in for DWill with 5 minutes to go in the game.

I can answer that question, I think.
At the time the Grizzlies were playing their starting line-up of Conely, Lee, & Prince.
Williams was in charge of guarding Lee.
Though Williams wasn't doing too badly of a job keeping up with Lee, it was clear that Lee was much quicker than Williams and finding open spots out on the floor.
Malone most likely pulled Williams in favor of Thornton because Thornton was doing a better job staying with Lee as Lee moved all over the place.

I was sort of surprised by the timing, since it was right after Williams had his only points in the 2nd half with the fast-break alley-oop slam. And the fact that Lee hadn't actually hurt us yet, meant that Malone was playing things safe. Now, if he had kept Williams in the game and if Lee had found himself open to hit a couple of 3pt shots then we all would have been asking why Malone didn't put someone on Lee who could keep up.

So...the moment the Kings lost, Malone lost regardless of what he might have done. Thornton didn't do anything on the offensive end, but at the same time Lee wasn't a big impact player either...so ultimately I don't think it factored too much in the loss. The key to the loss down the stretch was two-fold:
1.) Our inability to execute some semblance of an offense
2.) Our inability to contain Conley

Had we done either of those two things at even a D+ level, we would have won the game, but we failed on both counts and lost the game by a point.
It was a tough loss to watch, that is for certain.