[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Colby Jones' advanced defensive metrics in the GLeague have actually been better than Prosper's so far.

He's more of a 2/3 defender vs. 3/4 defender like OMax, which is admittedly a but more valuable for the Kings as currently constructed, but in terms of impact and future productivity, I would say Jones looks like a better prospect overall.
fine but Jones and Prosper weren’t an either or.

That's an example of a move where they felt obligated to try something different, for fear of a stronger label of "running it back". Didn't work out for the better.
I mean we’re talking about the 10th guy. Wouldn’t really move the needle either way. Can’t really blame Monte for wanting to shuffle the deck here, Duarte had a strong rookie year and looked like a change of scenery could have been beneficial.

That's an example of a move where they felt obligated to try something different, for fear of a stronger label of "running it back". Didn't work out for the better.
That was also a stab at trying to get Domas another guy that already knew how to play off of him. The mistake at the moment is picking up that option. Well, that or not slotting him into a role. This is the problem when you have 10+ players really needing to play. Players like Jones should be those guys way down the line, not first rounder paid talent that have already been the league for a few years and are basically maxed out as talents without getting PT.

I mean we’re talking about the 10th guy. Wouldn’t really move the needle either way. Can’t really blame Monte for wanting to shuffle the deck here, Duarte had a strong rookie year and looked like a change of scenery could have been beneficial.
But right now that bit of salary is the difference between potentially having a full MLE or a taxpayers. That's pretty major for teams kind of stuck roster/cap wise.

I didn't like the choice from when it was made. Davis was a better scorer and Duarte wasn't such a valuable defender to off set that.

10th man or not, I would have much rather had Davis, especially when Huerter and Monk went down.

I didn't like the choice from when it was made. Davis was a better scorer and Duarte wasn't such a valuable defender to off set that.

10th man or not, I would have much rather had Davis, especially when Huerter and Monk went down.
Yup, TD was like a Monk-lite on the court, he could go off for like 30 pts out of nowhere. It's crazy how Duarte offensive game just fell off a cliff after his rookie year. I seriously winced every time MB put Duarte on the court.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That was also a stab at trying to get Domas another guy that already knew how to play off of him. The mistake at the moment is picking up that option.
The timing of those options is really player-friendly. We had to decide on picking up Year 4 before he had played a single minute for us, based on his performance in Years 1/2 for another team (when Year 1 performance was pretty good). In a lot of ways, picking it up was the low-risk option. Probably didn't pan out, but hard for me to gripe about.

The timing of those options is really player-friendly. We had to decide on picking up Year 4 before he had played a single minute for us, based on his performance in Years 1/2 for another team (when Year 1 performance was pretty good). In a lot of ways, picking it up was the low-risk option. Probably didn't pan out, but hard for me to gripe about.
My question is whether or not Monte saw him as a rotation guy. My thing is still how many "rotation" guys did Monte expect to have? Even as is it was it was stretching it. Monte had to see his potential cap punishment coming right?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
My question is whether or not Monte saw him as a rotation guy. My thing is still how many "rotation" guys did Monte expect to have? Even as is it was it was stretching it. Monte had to see his potential cap punishment coming right?
For a $5.9M, one year deal? That's about 4.2% of the salary cap, and if nothing else eminently movable as a salary piece. I don't think cap punishment really comes into the equation here. You have to have smaller pieces, several of whom won't end up in the rotation; one year of Duarte is not a disastrous small piece.

For a $5.9M, one year deal? That's about 4.2% of the salary cap, and if nothing else eminently movable as a salary piece. I don't think cap punishment really comes into the equation here. You have to have smaller pieces, several of whom won't end up in the rotation; one year of Duarte is not a disastrous small piece.
Yeah, but with Malik and his impending free agency, that's literally the possible difference between paying dollar for dollar or not. I'm sure Monte will be making some type of moves here but he's down to the wire to some extent.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
not sure this year is a great year to move up. Very few potential stars except maybe Saar and the strength of this draft is in the middle. Value for draft slot the Kings are at a pretty good spot sitting at 13.
I would still love a top 3 pick. There are some teams out there that would be willing to move up into that spot, giving us a lot more value than just the #13. Maybe a younger wing or an expiring contract plus their lower (value) pick.

That was mid-season though, right? Did he have any NBA camp invites? I honestly was surprised he wasn't on a roster to start the season.
There were talks that several teams in Europe were interested for him before his injury but he didn't want to make the move waiting a call from NBA team that never came. At the same point Will Barton was also a candidate, he finally arrived to Russia really late in the season but he was found injured, went to Spain and last week he signed with a team in Puerto Rico. How come Barton lost his place in the NBA? Was his injury so bad that he missed the entire previous season and still held him for the first half of the next season as well?

Yeah, but with Malik and his impending free agency, that's literally the possible difference between paying dollar for dollar or not. I'm sure Monte will be making some type of moves here but he's down to the wire to some extent.
No it isn't. With or without Duarte, we would operate as an over the cap team, thus only have the early bird rights available to offer him