[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Exactly! And that’s why I believe that we need some new personalities just as badly as we need some new basketball talent. We need some guys who will get up in faces and call it out when guys are putting forth wuss-level effort and performance. Cohesiveness can come later, but not at the expense of going out each night and playing our best game.

Last year's squad seemed mentally weak and a bit frayed. This starts at the very top with Sabonis and Fox. I think it's more Fox because he had that stretch of mediocre play and effort where he began blacklsting the media. You can't have that type of attitude as the star player of the team because it rubs off on everyone else. Keegan wasn't the problem at all, but having the quietest kid in the NBA as your 3rd best player probably doesn't help us in this department.

I think this is where some of that frustration on Mike Brown came down. I think it is reasonable to question whether or not he can bring the most out of those two guys and take them to the next level. We saw a regression in year 2 as a team.

But it's funny to see McGee come out and say what most of us have said all year long that this team didn't look right. Something was off with them.. it wasn't really a fun season despite the wins.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Last year's squad seemed mentally weak and a bit frayed. This starts at the very top with Sabonis and Fox. I think it's more Fox because he had that stretch of mediocre play and effort where he began blacklsting the media. You can't have that type of attitude as the star player of the team because it rubs off on everyone else. Keegan wasn't the problem at all, but having the quietest kid in the NBA as your 3rd best player probably doesn't help us in this department.

I think this is where some of that frustration on Mike Brown came down. I think it is reasonable to question whether or not he can bring the most out of those two guys and take them to the next level. We saw a regression in year 2 as a team.

But it's funny to see McGee come out and say what most of us have said all year long that this team didn't look right. Something was off with them.. it wasn't really a fun season despite the wins.
The year before Mike Brown got here Fox was widely panned as an empty stats guy who could never lead a winning team, a terrible NBA defender (despite his reputation in college), and an abysmal shooter with no hope of ever being even average. Since Mike Brown got here the Kings have been a winning team with Fox as the head of the snake and last year he average 37% from three and led the entire NBA in steals. Even with his so-called mediocre play for part of the season Fox finished the year 8th in points per game and he was the only player in the top 10 who wasn't on an All-NBA team. He's also been second in the NBA in 4th quarter scoring both years under Brown.

Sabonis just led the league in triple doubles, set the franchise record for most double doubles in a season, and now has the longest consecutive double-double streak in the NBA since the mid 70s. He also led the league in rebounding, finished 6th in assists (which is practically unheard of for a center) and has missed only 3 games in the last two seasons including playing all 82 this season (for the first time in his career) and 79 out of 82 despite breaking his hand last season.

Where does this take come from? The team may not have taken a big leap forward in his second season as head coach but they already took a huge one in his first season and as for not getting the most out of Fox and Sabonis specifically... I think the numbers speak for themselves.

The year before Mike Brown got here Fox was widely panned as an empty stats guy who could never lead a winning team, a terrible NBA defender (despite his reputation in college), and an abysmal shooter with no hope of ever being even average. Since Mike Brown got here the Kings have been a winning team with Fox as the head of the snake and last year he average 37% from three and led the entire NBA in steals. Even with his so-called mediocre play for part of the season Fox finished the year 8th in points per game and he was the only player in the top 10 who wasn't on an All-NBA team. He's also been second in the NBA in 4th quarter scoring both years under Brown.

Sabonis just led the league in triple doubles, set the franchise record for most double doubles in a season, and now has the longest consecutive double-double streak in the NBA since the mid 70s. He also led the league in rebounding, finished 6th in assists (which is practically unheard of for a center) and has missed only 3 games in the last two seasons including playing all 82 this season (for the first time in his career) and 79 out of 82 despite breaking his hand last season.

Where does this take come from? The team may not have taken a big leap forward in his second season as head coach but they already took a huge one in his first season and as for not getting the most out of Fox and Sabonis specifically... I think the numbers speak for themselves.
I'm in absolute agreement with respect to Mike Brown maximizing the talents of Fox and Sabonis. They've been largely awesome under Brown. They went from fringe stars to All-NBAers in the span of one season. That's nuts.

However, I can see where one would be inclined to level criticism at this team's toughness. The tone should be set at the top of the roster, where Fox and Sabonis should be shouldering accountability for this team's lapses. The fact remains that the Western Conference is brutal, and the Kings' will not rise up the standings without the mental fortitude necessary to weather that brutality.

The issue, if there is one, could be that these guys just have really great life perspective- they love basketball and are competitive but they aren’t hoping to “kill everyone in front of them” e.g. Antman.
And this is probably where De'Aaron Fox, in particular, still needs to grow. Some guys just aren't wired with that "kill everyone in front of them" mentality, and Fox honestly may not be that kinda guy. But I still think there's another gear available to Fox that he needs to access with much more consistency. Every star player has the occasional week where things don't go his way. But for Fox, that week stretches into a month almost without fail every season. He has these prolonged slumps where his heart just doesn't appear to be in the game, and that simply cannot happen. As Fox goes, so go the Kings.

I want to see greater accountability from both De'Aaron and Domas when the team hits those rough patches, particularly against the league's bottom-feeders. I really don't like hearing from a long-time veteran like Javale McGee that the team was awfully laissez-faire after close games against weak opponents, lacking the killer instinct necessary to be a true threat in a very tough conference.

In the spirit of McGee's criticism, the following are, in my opinion, the four factors that made this season a disappointment:

01. The Kings lost several winnable games to teams under .500.
02. The Kings lost several winnable games where the opposition was missing their best player(s).
03. The Kings lost several winnable games where they had a large lead heading into the second half.
04. The Kings let interconference teams like New Orleans and Houston completely dominate them.

For me, those four factors represent serious deficiencies in the way the Kings approached this season. Every playoff-caliber team suffers the occasional loss to a team far below them in the standings, or to a team who is missing their best players. But the best teams don't make a habit out of it. Every playoff-caliber team suffers the occasional loss in which they give up a big lead. But the best teams don't make a habit out of it. Every playoff-caliber team has an opponent or two that they just don't match up well against. But the best teams don't let that get into their head.

In other words, the best teams are more mentally tough than the Kings were this season. If the Kings want to be firmly above the play-in line in the Western Conference playoff gauntlet, this must improve. I think elevating a guy like Keon Ellis is a great start, as we saw good things from the Kings' defense and the Kings' overall level of grit and toughness when he was given a starting role. Now Monte McNair has work to do to add more talent in that vein.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
JaVale McGee is exactly right.

The issue is that even as a veteran voice, he just didn't play enough to really influence this team or its attitude. Keegan is also unlikely to ever be that guy. So unless Fox or Domas really take a leap as a leader, the wishlist for our HB replacement is just getting longer and longer if we have to hope that guy is also somewhat of a culture changer. . .

I'm in absolute agreement with respect to Mike Brown maximizing the talents of Fox and Sabonis. They've been largely awesome under Brown. They went from fringe stars to All-NBAers in the span of one season. That's nuts.

However, I can see where one would be inclined to level criticism at this team's toughness. The tone should be set at the top of the roster, where Fox and Sabonis should be shouldering accountability for this team's lapses. The fact remains that the Western Conference is brutal, and the Kings' will not rise up the standings without the mental fortitude necessary to weather that brutality.

And this is probably where De'Aaron Fox, in particular, still needs to grow. Some guys just aren't wired with that "kill everyone in front of them" mentality, and Fox honestly may not be that kinda guy. But I still think there's another gear available to Fox that he needs to access with much more consistency. Every star player has the occasional week where things don't go his way. But for Fox, that week stretches into a month almost without fail every season. He has these prolonged slumps where his heart just doesn't appear to be in the game, and that simply cannot happen. As Fox goes, so go the Kings.

I want to see greater accountability from both De'Aaron and Domas when the team hits those rough patches, particularly against the league's bottom-feeders. I really don't like hearing from a long-time veteran like Javale McGee that the team was awfully laissez-faire after close games against weak opponents, lacking the killer instinct necessary to be a true threat in a very tough conference.

In the spirit of McGee's criticism, the following are, in my opinion, the four factors that made this season a disappointment:

01. The Kings lost several winnable games to teams under .500.
02. The Kings lost several winnable games where the opposition was missing their best player(s).
03. The Kings lost several winnable games where they had a large lead heading into the second half.
04. The Kings let interconference teams like New Orleans and Houston completely dominate them.

For me, those four factors represent serious deficiencies in the way the Kings approached this season. Every playoff-caliber team suffers the occasional loss to a team far below them in the standings, or to a team who is missing their best players. But the best teams don't make a habit out of it. Every playoff-caliber team suffers the occasional loss in which they give up a big lead. But the best teams don't make a habit out of it. Every playoff-caliber team has an opponent or two that they just don't match up well against. But the best teams don't let that get into their head.

In other words, the best teams are more mentally tough than the Kings were this season. If the Kings want to be firmly above the play-in line in the Western Conference playoff gauntlet, this must improve. I think elevating a guy like Keon Ellis is a great start, as we saw good things from the Kings' defense and the Kings' overall level of grit and toughness when he was given a starting role. Now Monte McNair has work to do to add more talent in that vein.
Honestly, I think this is the last real "leap" that Fox needs to take as a player. His Jan... was just really poor and he had several games he was one of the worst guys on the court. Just can't have it. Now, maybe him playing on a bad ankle all year contributed to some of this, but Fox just can't have as many off-nights as he did this past season. He's got all the talent to be a top 5 player in this league, I truly believe that. But he doesn't have it every night and until he's dominating 95%+ of his games, like he's capable of, he'll just be a tier behind those true MVP candidates.

He can't leave Domas out there on an island when the team needs to be picked up. Something I really appreciate about Domas is it really doesn't matter the situation or the team; he's out there working his tail off and giving maximum effort every game. And when Fox and Domas are both rolling; it really doesn't matter what's happening on the other side, not many teams can keep up with them from an offensive standpoint.

Keon in the starting lineup, getting 30+ MPG might be a real potential fix for this. Where we can "hide" Fox on the weaker guard so he's got his full energy to go hard offensively. Or even just save enough in the tank to be lock down in crunch time defensively.

I honestly think we're closer than some people think. If Keon is who we think he is, you got 2 pretty damn close to ideal pieces to surround Fox and Domas with. If we retain Monk, you keep your 3rd scoring option on the team, so then it's just finding the right 4 to really bump us up. Keegan's huge growth as a perimeter defender this season I think pretty firmly cements him as a 3 and someone you want on defending wings all the time.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I thought Domas was sorta that guy when he got here and immediately sparked something in Fox but then Fox really took over the team again in Year 1 under Brown. Last year Fox was a bit too passive and eager to settle for the 3 imho. He needs to get his drive game where he also stops short and launches that little floating middy that was almost unguardable 2 seasons ago.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about McGee is he isn't wrong and we waste valuable roster spots (and cap $$) for guys like Javale and Barnes ($$) to provide "leadership".

I will say that is one reason I am wary of most of the high profile targets that are available for the Kings because I am not aware of any that are proven winners in a way that fan fill in where Fox or Domas lack. If there is a killer instinct guy out there by all means make the move. I don't think there are.

I thought Domas was sorta that guy when he got here and immediately sparked something in Fox but then Fox really took over the team again in Year 1 under Brown. Last year Fox was a bit too passive and eager to settle for the 3 imho. He needs to get his drive game where he also stops short and launches that little floating middy that was almost unguardable 2 seasons ago.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about McGee is he isn't wrong and we waste valuable roster spots (and cap $$) for guys like Javale and Barnes ($$) to provide "leadership".

I will say that is one reason I am wary of most of the high profile targets that are available for the Kings because I am not aware of any that are proven winners in a way that fan fill in where Fox or Domas lack. If there is a killer instinct guy out there by all means make the move. I don't think there are.
Proven winners cost real money and luck. In luring them here.

Sooooo... Jordi is obviously now gone to Brooklyn, but it was his idea to do the DPOG thing, right? Do you all think they will continue this without Jordi?

And I've been wondering for how long the Light the Beam can last... Probably longer than it should but can this realistically continue indefinitely? When does it cross over into an overplayed mantra?

Sooooo... Jordi is obviously now gone to Brooklyn, but it was his idea to do the DPOG thing, right? Do you all think they will continue this without Jordi?

And I've been wondering for how long the Light the Beam can last... Probably longer than it should but can this realistically continue indefinitely? When does it cross over into an overplayed mantra?
I hope they keep the beam indefinitely. It'll never have the same excitement that it had when they first rolled it out but I don't see it as something that gets old and played out either. Just a cool part of Sac culture and a go to chant at the end of games.

I hope they keep the beam indefinitely. It'll never have the same excitement that it had when they first rolled it out but I don't see it as something that gets old and played out either. Just a cool part of Sac culture and a go to chant at the end of games.
Yeah, it's sort of like the cowbells. It was such a sensational "viral moment" in an era before viral moments were a thing. But its novelty wore off over time, and now those damn cowbells are just a part of the culture of Kings basketball. So, too, with the Beam. The novelty is waning (and quickly, as all things do in the disposable, virality-obsessed internet age we currently live in), but lighting the Beam remains a distinct feature of the fan experience at a Kings game, and I'd guess that Vivek and co. want it to continue to be absorbed into the culture of Sacramento. Hell, when one of the best breweries in the area christens a rather excellent beer after your novel fan experience, its reached a local cultural level that suggests you should keep it around for awhile.

The beam remains excellent. Fun way to galvanize the fans at games, they have the different players lighting it at the end of games and everyone gets to celebrate a win just a bit longer after the game. It's remained fun the whole time, so I think it's just something here to stay.

Probably the only thing that would ruin it is if they try to like sponsor it out "Tonight's Lighting of the Beam...sponsored by Arbys!" or something along that nature.

Honestly, I think this is the last real "leap" that Fox needs to take as a player. His Jan... was just really poor and he had several games he was one of the worst guys on the court. Just can't have it. Now, maybe him playing on a bad ankle all year contributed to some of this, but Fox just can't have as many off-nights as he did this past season. He's got all the talent to be a top 5 player in this league, I truly believe that. But he doesn't have it every night and until he's dominating 95%+ of his games, like he's capable of, he'll just be a tier behind those true MVP candidates.

He can't leave Domas out there on an island when the team needs to be picked up. Something I really appreciate about Domas is it really doesn't matter the situation or the team; he's out there working his tail off and giving maximum effort every game. And when Fox and Domas are both rolling; it really doesn't matter what's happening on the other side, not many teams can keep up with them from an offensive standpoint.

Keon in the starting lineup, getting 30+ MPG might be a real potential fix for this. Where we can "hide" Fox on the weaker guard so he's got his full energy to go hard offensively. Or even just save enough in the tank to be lock down in crunch time defensively.

I honestly think we're closer than some people think. If Keon is who we think he is, you got 2 pretty damn close to ideal pieces to surround Fox and Domas with. If we retain Monk, you keep your 3rd scoring option on the team, so then it's just finding the right 4 to really bump us up. Keegan's huge growth as a perimeter defender this season I think pretty firmly cements him as a 3 and someone you want on defending wings all the time.
I agree with everything except the "closer than some people think" part. Sure, it's possible, but imo not probable, and I hope McNair acts like we're not that close in his off-season moves. Fox, for example, may never take that next big step in his stamina/mental toughness/sustainability/consistency that we all want him to take.

As far as Keon is concerned, I'm a big fan. But, in some games he's looked great such as against the Warriors when he smothered Curry, whereas against other more athletic guards he hasn't had nearly the same effect. I can't remember the specific guards or the specific games, but there were some games where the guy he was guarding had his way with him. That said, he's still young and with added experience I'm hoping those ups and downs get smoothed out of the next year or so.