[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hardy played a grand total of 13 minutes in the Clippers series and OMax Prosper is so far out of the Mavs plans that they traded for his replacement (PJ Washington) midseason and banished him to the G-League for most of 2024. Richaun wasn’t so much leveraged for Gafford so much as his salary was the only contract moveable enough to get someone into a trade. The Mavs also pretty much had to give up their only remaining assets aside from two pick swaps in 2026 and 2028 to make things happen.
We'll probably never know what Monte thought he was cooking up for this past FA season clearing up Richaun's contract space so it's easy to forget that was the original proposition here and the consolation was locking up Domas and re-signing HB. After signing Monk the year prior and coming off the 3 seed with an exciting young team I can see why Monte thought maybe he could be a player last summer. In the grand scheme of learning the hard way about Sac as a FA destination this was a lot less painful than what Vlade did when he tried to free up cap space.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Re-signing HB shouldn’t go in the consolation prize bracket. Domas’ extension was an absolute must though.
I am quite sure we only re-signed HB after missing another target. They'll never say it out loud. Everyone had pretty much said goodbye to HB up until we re-signed him though.

I am quite sure we only re-signed HB after missing another target. They'll never say it out loud. Everyone had pretty much said goodbye to HB up until we re-signed him though.
The Kings actually re-signed HB a day or 2 before free agency even began, so they never really tried to sign someone else. Maybe Monte did it after Naz Reid re-signed early with the Wolves? But Monte never tested the waters

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The Kings actually re-signed HB a day or 2 before free agency even began, so they never really tried to sign someone else. Maybe Monte did it after Naz Reid re-signed early with the Wolves? But Monte never tested the waters
Maybe we were looking to trade into something as they did announce it on June 29. The Beal trade was announced on June 26. I think Grant was announced before the official start of FA. Which also explains a lot of the funny money that happened with the moves we did see.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah: Besides Luka, Hardy is a key contributor, Richaun and a first was leveraged for Gafford and Prosper looks good. Mavs should be sending Monte a thank you note.
Besides Luka?

Hardy played a grand total of 13 minutes in the Clippers series and OMax Prosper is so far out of the Mavs plans that they traded for his replacement (PJ Washington) midseason and banished him to the G-League for most of 2024. Richaun wasn’t so much leveraged for Gafford so much as his salary was the only contract moveable enough to get someone into a trade. The Mavs also pretty much had to give up their only remaining assets aside from two pick swaps in 2026 and 2028 to make things happen.
Yup. And OMax has played exactly 1 minute in the post season and recorded no statistics.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I know nobody is happy with the current roster right now, so imagine having a player on a fully guaranteed contract in the G-League. We'd have not been able to audition anyone, no trade flexibility near the deadline, and Keon would have been a 2-way and thus ineligible for the post season.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Read this site, and we are all pretty high on Slawson as well. Never underestimate the ability of a fanbase to get irrationally excited about their G-League stars.
Although Slawson projects closer to a big man (he's still what we used to call a tweener though, isn't he?) I would think Jones is a better example and someone who at least sniffed big boy minutes and generates excitement.

If Slawson does work out though that's a bonus. If he doesn't he's just eating up one of three 2-way spots.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We don’t really think free agency begins on the official date, do we?
Obviously there is concern about tampering, but as long as the league is trying to put forth the impression that nobody is allowed contact before July 1, then they would have to punish teams obviously contacting free agents in the week prior. I mean, just in this year's draft the Suns and the Sixers lost their second round picks for early free agent contact so it's not like that sort of thing would be risk-free.

I think what @pdxKingsFan was talking about was trade talks surrounding Beal. He is suggesting that once we didn't land Beal, we pivoted to HB's extension.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Obviously there is concern about tampering, but as long as the league is trying to put forth the impression that nobody is allowed contact before July 1, then they would have to punish teams obviously contacting free agents in the week prior. I mean, just in this year's draft the Suns and the Sixers lost their second round picks for early free agent contact so it's not like that sort of thing would be risk-free.

I think what @pdxKingsFan was talking about was trade talks surrounding Beal. He is suggesting that once we didn't land Beal, we pivoted to HB's extension.
I was definitely more than guilty of misremembering the exact timeline, but a lot of stuff happened between the draft when we made the trade for space and the opening of free agency, including the Beal move, players agreeing to extensions and not entering free agency, and I think that is when Monte quickly re-signed Barnes before allowing him to enter FA. Let's not forget Monte also got burned with early negotiations in the Bogi-DDV deal so I am sure he was treading carefully but until the Beal move happened which had more than a few dominoes along with it the expectation was Barnes was gone.

My point was more in response to the notion that the Kings rushed into extending Barnes without trying for anyone else. I’d guess teams have a decent sense of how the market is going to play out, even before free agency technically begins.

Hey @Capt. Factorial one of the changes I have heard about in the updated CBA is the 200% rule on trades of a player making under 7.5MM, but it was stated that these can be aggregated. So two 7.5MM players could bring back one 30MM player.

Is this accurate as far as you know. It didnt seem accurate to me.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hey @Capt. Factorial one of the changes I have heard about in the updated CBA is the 200% rule on trades of a player making under 7.5MM, but it was stated that these can be aggregated. So two 7.5MM players could bring back one 30MM player.

Is this accurate as far as you know. It didnt seem accurate to me.
Well, the principle is right. What I mean by that is that the 200% rule applies to aggregated salaries, so if one could apply the 200% rule to this situation, then $7.5M + $7.5M = $15M, and 200% of that is $30M.

But the problem is that you can't apply the 200% rule to $15M worth of outgoing salary.

There are actually THREE rules that each output a different maximum incoming salary (based on outgoing salary), where A is the lesser of A1 and A2, and the final value is the greater of A and B. It's kind of crazy. The rules are as follows:

A1) Max incoming = 200% of outgoing, plus $250K
A2) Max incoming = 100% of outgoing, plus $7.5M (with the $7.5M adjusted upwards proportionally as the salary cap increases)
A = Lesser of A1 and A2
B) Max incoming = 125% of outgoing, plus $250K
Final Max incoming is greater of A and B.

So, assuming $15M outgoing, the maximum incoming value according to each of the rules is:
A1) $30,250,000
A2) $22,775,000 (approx. for '24-'25)
so A = $22,775,000
B) $19,000,000

So in this case, rule A (technically A2) wins and the max incoming would be $22.75M.

Basically, rule A1 wins for low salaries (anything below $7.5M outgoing), rule A2 wins for middle salaries ($7.5M - $30M outgoing), and rule B applies for high salaries ($30M+ outgoing). These levels will change upwards a bit as the salary cap goes up, but not a lot.

Of course rules A/B only apply if the post-trade team salary does not place the team over the apron. If it does, then rules A/B do not apply and instead rule C (100% of outgoing, plus $250K) applies regardless of outgoing salary level.

Last edited:
Well, the principle is right. What I mean by that is that the 200% rule applies to aggregated salaries, so if one could apply the 200% rule to this situation, then $7.5M + $7.5M = $15M, and 200% of that is $30M.

But the problem is that you can't apply the 200% rule to $15M worth of outgoing salary.

There are actually THREE rules that each output a different maximum incoming salary (based on outgoing salary), where A is the lesser of A1 and A2, and the final value is the greater of A and B. It's kind of crazy. The rules are as follows:

A1) Max incoming = 200% of outgoing, plus $250K
A2) Max incoming = 100% of outgoing, plus $7.5M (with the $7.5M adjusted upwards proportionally as the salary cap increases)
A) Lesser of A1 and A2
B) Max incoming = 125% of outgoing, plus $250K

So, assuming $15M outgoing, the maximum value for each of the rules is:
A1) $30,250,000
A2) $22,775,000 (approx. for '24-'25)
so A) $22,775,000
B) $19,000,000

So in this case, rule A (technically A2) wins and the max incoming would be $22.75M.

Basically, rule A1 wins for low salaries (anything below $7.5M outgoing), rule A2 wins for middle salaries ($7.5M - $30M outgoing), and rule B applies for high salaries ($30M+ outgoing). These levels will change upwards a bit as the salary cap goes up, but not a lot.

Of course rules A/B only apply if the post-trade team salary does not place the team over the apron. If it does, then rules A/B do not apply and instead rule C (100% of outgoing, plus $250K) applies regardless of outgoing salary level.
OK, this hurts my head.

Two GLeague stat lines.

19.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.0 spg, 0.8 bpg, 51.3 FG%, 37.5 3P%,

18.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.0 apg, 0.9 apg, 0.5 bpg, 51.2% FG%, 42.5 3P%

Guess which one is 1st round pick Oliver-Maxence Prosper and which one is 2nd round pick Colby Jones.
To my point about Jones but Prospers calling card is his defense which is why the Mav’s are high on him.

as a 3-D wing they just need him to shoot above 36% on 3. Him shooting 42.5% on 5.3% a game is encouraging.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
To my point about Jones but Prospers calling card is his defense which is why the Mav’s are high on him.

as a 3-D wing they just need him to shoot above 36% on 3. Him shooting 42.5% on 5.3% a game is encouraging.
Colby Jones' advanced defensive metrics in the GLeague have actually been better than Prosper's so far.

He's more of a 2/3 defender vs. 3/4 defender like OMax, which is admittedly a but more valuable for the Kings as currently constructed, but in terms of impact and future productivity, I would say Jones looks like a better prospect overall.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
*ducks early*

Is there a world where we bring back Buddy on a one year or two year deal (small) to be a heat check guy off the bench?

(Assuming we've lost Monk)
I hope not.

But just in general I see a general narrative that if the Kings lose Monk they need a big scoring/shooting threat off the bench. That's true to some extent, but I think it really overlooks just how much value Malik brings as a playmaker. I think that's actually the more important piece. That and just the energy he brings because he's such a dynamic and exciting player.

Sure Buddy puts up empty calorie scoring numbers, but Malik is an explosive, playmaking, scoring option who is also an amazing teammate.