[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

I guess why don't you see that same upside in Keegan, especially with what he's done so far this year? His top skills so far in the NBA are absurdly valuable in a 6'9 forward
Well the most obvious answer is that he is an older rookie. He is more than 2 years older than Banchero, Smith, Sharpe, Duren, Griffin (in some cases, more than 3 years), and close to 2 years older than most other top rookies of the class (including Chet, whom I am discounting since next year will officially be his rookie year, even if he's from the same draft class). It's likely that some of the others will show greater growth just because they have 2-3 more years of development. The final jury on who had the best career will take a long time, though the next 5-6 years might start showing up who is likely to have a better career.

Even if others show greater growth, doesn't mean Keegan was the wrong pick. Unless you have someone like Curry, who turns out to be a generational player, Keegan was the right player for us. He filled a position of need, gives us shooting, spacing, and some defense that we have been lacking at that position for years, and allowed us to be competitive. Even if, say Ivey, ends up having a better career, would that have been good for the team if Fox/Dom were frustrated by lack of winning? Would we have traded for Kevin if we had drafted Ivey/Ben/Sharpe? Would Duren have seen any playing time behind Dom if we had traded down for him? How would it impact his growth? We can continue to speculate with no benefit.

Hindsight will make us all wiser in a few years, but a better overall career does not necessarily mean a better overall pick for your team based on its current status and requirements (again, unless the difference is huge. As good as Reke was in his rookie year, and Griffin the next, Steph was clearly the pick of his class).

Damn. A big reason the Kings need to keep their foot on the peddle and just really avoid bad streaks this season especially. A 1-6 type of stretch could all of a sudden see you down in 10th-12th place. Thankfully a little breathing room between them at 2 games with NOP and 3.5 with the rest of the pack, but that could really go away pretty quickly. I don't remember a season like this where the parity is so wide-spread across the league.

Makes that Memphis win all the much more important. Have to avoid losing streaks at all costs to not get clumped up in that 5-13 block that's separated by 2 games lol
One thing about parity is that teams seem to be beating each other up. The 6th place team is currently on a 42 win pace. It's possible (maybe even likely), that 45 wins give you a clear entry into the playoffs (though 7-10 will be damn close too).

Hopefully, we don't lose many games we are supposed to win, and pick some expected to be competitive (as of now, I don't put any game as expected loss :).

While all games are critical, the next 8 will be super critical. The last home game (tough but winnable), and 7 road games, but many winnable ones. If we can get a good record here, that will really help that push towards 45, which I see as a necessary target.

I was listening to Jerry's most recent podcast about the Kings. It was published in early January when we were 21-18. The tone was a bit more doom and gloom because we played really bad basketball in the 10 games prior. Fast forward to today, we're now 27-19. Thea attitude is much more positive.

Question, can the Kings keep this up? We're 7-1 in our last 8, but our schedule was pretty easy. I think it's a good sign that we're beating all the teams that we need to beat. According to Tankathon, we're 22nd in remaining strength of schedule. I think this will change after our upcoming roadtrip because we'll face the Rockets twice.

Fun fact: last year, it took us until our 75th game to win 27 games.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In today's edition of "Crossing the Streams," aka Unexpected Kings mention, on today's The Dan LeBatard Show With Stugotz, they had a segment where a handful of the guys played a game of "Kings That Make You Smile*." The premise of the 'game' was simple enough: each person participating had to name five former Kings players that, when they hear the name, they smile. No talent level prerequisite, no explanation required, just guys whose names made them smile.

I have included the names of the participants as well as, for the benefit of non-fans of the show, a quick rundown of some of their bona-fides:

Mike Schur (Television writer/producer. Creator, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn Nine Nine, The Good Place. On-air talent, Meadowlark Media)

OLI (Outside Looking In): Otis Birdsong, Hedo Turkoglu, Mateen Cleaves
5. Peja Stojakovic
4. Wayman Tisdale
3. Lawrence Funderburke
2. Tiny Archibald
1. Spud Webb

Amin Elhassan (Former Assistant Director of Basketball Operations, Phoenix Suns. Former On-air talent, ESPN. Current co-host, Basketball Illuminati podcast, Cinephobe podcast, BOMM podcast. On-air talent, Meadowlark Media)

OLI: Eddie Johnson, Olden Polynice, Donté Greene
5. Scot Pollard
4. Corliss Williamson
3. Lawrence Funderburke
2. Hedo Turkgolu
1. Eddie House

Jon "Stugotz" Weiner (Former Station Director, AM 790 The Ticket. Former On-air talent, ESPN. Co-host, The Dan LeBatard Show With Stugotz podcast. Host, God Bless Football podcast, STU-podity podcast. On-air talent, Meadowlark Media)

OLI: Bobby Jackson
5. Doug Christie
4. Scot Pollard
3. Walt Williams
2. Wayman Tisdale
1. Reggie Theus

Chris Wittyngham (Executive Producer, The Dan LeBatard Show With Stugotz podcast, Co-host/producer, Chelsea Mike'd Up podcast, Former Co-host/Producer, Futbol with Grant Wahl podcast, Radio Play-by-Play Announcer, Inter Miami CF. Former Host, WQAM Radio Miami Dolphins pregame and halftime show. On-air talent, Meadowlark Media)

5. Kosta Koufos
4. Nik Stauskas
3. Brad Miller
2. Omri Casspi
1. Lawrence Funderburke

Tony Calatayud (Producer, The Dan LeBatard Show With Stugotz podcast. On-air talent, Meadowlark Media)

5. Doug Christie
4. Vlade Divac
3. Peja Stoakovic
2. Jason Williams
1. Zach Randolph

*It's a recurring show bit. IYKYK. Today just happened to be the first time that they ever did it with Kings players.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Related to the above, it has occurred to me that the last time the Kings made the playoffs predated the creation of Twitter. This means that this year will mark the first-ever Sacramento Kings edition of one of my favorite playoff traditions, #PitinoGame!

Well the most obvious answer is that he is an older rookie. He is more than 2 years older than Banchero, Smith, Sharpe, Duren, Griffin (in some cases, more than 3 years), and close to 2 years older than most other top rookies of the class (including Chet, whom I am discounting since next year will officially be his rookie year, even if he's from the same draft class). It's likely that some of the others will show greater growth just because they have 2-3 more years of development. The final jury on who had the best career will take a long time, though the next 5-6 years might start showing up who is likely to have a better career.

Even if others show greater growth, doesn't mean Keegan was the wrong pick. Unless you have someone like Curry, who turns out to be a generational player, Keegan was the right player for us. He filled a position of need, gives us shooting, spacing, and some defense that we have been lacking at that position for years, and allowed us to be competitive. Even if, say Ivey, ends up having a better career, would that have been good for the team if Fox/Dom were frustrated by lack of winning? Would we have traded for Kevin if we had drafted Ivey/Ben/Sharpe? Would Duren have seen any playing time behind Dom if we had traded down for him? How would it impact his growth? We can continue to speculate with no benefit.

Hindsight will make us all wiser in a few years, but a better overall career does not necessarily mean a better overall pick for your team based on its current status and requirements (again, unless the difference is huge. As good as Reke was in his rookie year, and Griffin the next, Steph was clearly the pick of his class).
Just as a side note - Curry was a Junior who was over 21 on draft night as well. He was 2 and a half years older than who most Kings fans wanted (Rubio) and a year and a half older than who the Kings took (Tyreke). It is definitely true that on average players drafted younger show more growth in the NBA. The stats bear that out. And I'm not saying that Keegan is remotely a Steph-level player, just that being older on draft night doesn't preclude individuals from deviating from the average and experiencing larger than expected growth in their game.

Given Keegan's path and trajectory, I wouldn't bet against it.

Im certain this has been discussed before, but what happened during the last joerger year to get him fired? Was it just between him and vlade or was it something to do with the rostor or both?

Im certain this has been discussed before, but what happened during the last joerger year to get him fired? Was it just between him and vlade or was it something to do with the rostor or both?
Joerger didn't hide that Bagley was not his pick and he wanted that other guy.

He and Brandon Williams (Vlade's #2, who may have really been running things) began a very public feud (via leaks). Complete insubordination by both and ground for termination imho, even though I think his coaching was otherwise competent.

I know his history, but that doesn't change the fact that he appears to be the one victimized in this case. If someone attacks you, you have a right to defend yourself no matter what you have done in the past.
nowhere in that video did I see him getting attacked, I saw him spit on a guy and the one getting aggressive. It’s always the sane story with him. Always someone else’s fault and he’s being victimized

Not the biggest Barnes fan in the world but I concur that punching the guy out would probably have been a reasonable action, so spitting, as vulgar as it is, is still quite a few rungs below that on the assault ladder.
Wrong. At the point he spit on him there was no threat. They were being separated.

If the ex started something then retreated at that point the threat is gone. Anything you do after the retreat is no longer self defense.

Just as a side note - Curry was a Junior who was over 21 on draft night as well. He was 2 and a half years older than who most Kings fans wanted (Rubio) and a year and a half older than who the Kings took (Tyreke). It is definitely true that on average players drafted younger show more growth in the NBA. The stats bear that out. And I'm not saying that Keegan is remotely a Steph-level player, just that being older on draft night doesn't preclude individuals from deviating from the average and experiencing larger than expected growth in their game.

Given Keegan's path and trajectory, I wouldn't bet against it.
Agree. More than that, we all hope that turns out to be the case.

Was making a general point.

I would rather someone throw a punch at me rather than spit at me. There aren't many actions more disrespectful than spitting. Pathetic by Barnes.
don't get me wrong, it's effing gross and it isn't really "self defense", but it also won't break an orbital or concuss so aside from pride or I guess some random chance a virus is passed, the wound is over as soon as you get a towel.

but if you are a creep who is harassing your ex partner or their new partner you deserve whatever is coming to you.