[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

With the rest of the B-League's season cancelled, Jack Cooley finished the season leading the league in rebounds per game with 13.3 and 30 double-doubles while playing for the Kings.
Now he is a player I root for sticking it out and finding a home in the nba . Unfortunately with the way we are structured it more than likely won’t be with our kings up in Sacramento.

T

The Sacramento Bee

Kings coach Luke Walton has watched a lot of game film while hunkered down in his home in the six weeks since the NBA suspended its season due to the coronavirus crisis, but that’s not all he’s watching. During a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Walton offered his thoughts on social distancing, homeschooling, the threat of COVID-19 and two documentary series that are keeping America entertained: ESPN’s “The Last Dance” and Netflix’s “Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness.

Continue reading...

Kings coach Luke Walton has watched a lot of game film while hunkered down in his home in the six weeks since the NBA suspended its season due to the coronavirus crisis, but that’s not all he’s watching. During a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Walton offered his thoughts on social distancing, homeschooling, the threat of COVID-19 and two documentary series that are keeping America entertained: ESPN’s “The Last Dance” and Netflix’s “Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness.

Continue reading...
Thanks for posting this

T

The Sacramento Bee

Instead, six weeks on from COVID-19 causing the suspension of the NBA season on March 11, Walton is coming up with math equations for his 5-year-old son. They go something like this: “If you have 10 apples and (your sister) takes two, how many do you have left? Walton said.

Continue reading...

So, it will be interesting to see who our new announcer will be, now that Grant has "resigned".

I'm very curious as to what Grant's next public comment will be.

I have tried to keep my comment as neutral as possible, mods can delete if no discussion whatsoever is allowed.

So, it will be interesting to see who our new announcer will be, now that Grant has "resigned".

I have tried to keep my comment as neutral as possible, mods can delete if no discussion whatsoever is allowed.
I am curious about their next choice. Not a bit on his next comment. This was long overdue.

Yes the thread might get derailed with politics or hate but we have had farewell threads for players that left the kings. I find it odd we can’t have one for the tv voice of the king. Love him or hate him he was still one of the best at his job. It’s a sad Kings day for me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yes the thread might get derailed with politics or hate but we have had farewell threads for players that left the kings. I find it odd we can’t have one for the tv voice of the king. Love him or hate him he was still one of the best at his job. It’s a sad Kings day for me.
What do you mean, "can't"? Why would you assume that, just because you don't see a "farewell" thread for Napear, that it's because we're not allowing one to be created? Especially when the likelier explanation is that nobody was interested in creating one?

Apropos of nothing, I've always liked D'Lo...

What do you mean, "can't"? Why would you assume that, just because you don't see a "farewell" thread for Napear, that it's because we're not allowing one to be created? Especially when the likelier explanation is that nobody was interested in creating one?

There was one in the off topic thread. It got closed. It didn’t specifically say farewell but it was about him getting fired and was closed for comments. I assumed that since we couldn’t comment on his fired thread, it was not allowed

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In typical KingsFans.com tradition, we don't usually allow "farewell" threads to venture into discussion about the circumstances that led to the personnel's departure. Like the "Any Questions" threads, they're expected to be 'good vibes' types of affairs.

The reason why the other thread was locked was because the only reason it was even allowed in the first place is because we feel like the firing had to be acknowledged. If KF.com posters could discuss the matter without veering into politics, it would have stayed open, but we (as a group, record label and crew) proved last night that we could not. So, we're not taking any chances this time.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I am curious about their next choice. Not a bit on his next comment. This was long overdue.
I also am curious where they go from here. While an institution with the Kings and local radio, I thought they should have gone in a different direction years ago as well - for a variety of reasons.

And I've always agreed that working for both the radio station and the Kings was in some ways a conflict of interest. We deserve better.

Purely my thought/speculation: I wonder if maybe this isn't an isolated incident, but perhaps it is the "straw that broke the camel's back". Maybe he was already on warning for previous issues (see the player comments, etc.) and this was just the latest "problem"?

Staying focused on the future—I would like a local(ish) voice, if at all possible. I think Doug (and RJ, as an aside) is on a rocket ship to the top of the profession if he wants it. I think he’s capable of sliding over and handling play-by-play. And, frankly, I would like to have a more natural conversation about the game action, without the same rigid structure. I think Doug has the talent to lead that type of broadcast.

I would love to pair him with Matt Barnes, whose All the Smoke podcast is outstanding. Both Doug and Matt espouse a brand of basketball that I enjoy. Or GP—that would be awesome. Basically, I would like a strong NorCal sound to the broadcast that makes it feel like I’m sitting in the stands at a hometown gym overhearing a couple coaches break down the game. I’m really past the overly structured formatting and corny taglines. I think Doug can provide the guardrails, but I would like a more natural feel to the game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I always found it odd that we kept a guy around who had so clearly aligned himself with the old ownership group that he actively advocated for moving the team to Southern California and has such a toxic relationship with so many former players (while also claiming to be Vlade’s BFF the entire time) that most of them refused to go on his show even after Doug joined him (and EVERYONE loves Doug).

that all said, I grew up listening to the man (well, mostly the G-Man) call Kings games and it will be really weird not hearing him say “oh boy!” Or “if you don’t like you don’t like NBA basketball” three or four times a game. I will also miss him talking about how he once saw Klay score 37 points in a quarter on us at literally every single opportunity.