Kings @ Blazers Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agreed, it's just going to be tough to land a superstar type of player in the off-season with so many teams having cap space
I'd give anything (well, almost anything) to get Andrew Bogut in a Kings uni. The guy is on a tear and so is his Milwaukee Bucks. Tonight they beat the Celtics 86-84 and have now won last 9 of 10. Bogut has to be most improved or some kind of honor. The big Aussie center completely destroyed the Celts front line with 27 pts and 16 rebounds and he's been wrecking a lot of NBA front lines lately.

One more comment: Maybe there's hope for Spencer. It took first over all NBA draft selection Bogut 3 full NBA seasons to get really his bearing. Only last year did he start to come on a little bit - but now look out! This is his 4th season and now he's easily one of top 5-6 centers in the NBA.

Last edited:
No complaints here. The level of play over the last couple of weeks has been solid. If we keep it up for the rest of the season I'll be satisfied.

We have some pieces to add, luckily we have some options this off season.

The other observation for the night was Landry's D. I was afraid that height disadvantage with Aldridge was going to be exploited by the Blazers. Landry did an amazing job on Aldridge, despite the height disadvantage.

There were a few plays where Landry was able to play Aldridge straight-up - and he stopped him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Agreed-we can only win games if we pass the ball and play as a unit.
We have a PG thats dribbles the ball on every possession for 10 seconds and therefor needs to learn how to pass the ball earlier.

But he is young and will learn it sooner or unfortunalty later.
Yep. He'll learn. But maybe a combination of all the ROY talk, rookie wall, mentally tired from losing, being the most talented player on his team, maybe not trusting his teamates enough, all that could affect him. If you just came from a 30+ win team in college and now are getting beat night in, night out, it's bound to wear on you.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This was a tough game and when we came back to tie in the 4th I really thought we might pull it off but once the Blazers got straight it was just too tough a task. You can't really ask them to shoot 0% for the quarter. I don't really see any reason to dwell on the negatives, at least tonight.

The team just needs some more talent. The team as it is won't cut it in the NBA. We have fringe NBA players composing the bench, with rookies or young guys starting. We are going in the right direction with the cap space and the young core, but the team needs an infusion of serious talent real bad.
Don't worry, more talent will come this offseason. Well, through the draft at least. Also, Raps lost on a Kobe jumper today so I'm worried they'll pour all their frustration on the Kings in the game tomorrow.

K

king07

westphail cost us the game by taking may out and putting spencer in.....that substitution completely changed the momentum when we were playing so well.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
westphail cost us the game by taking may out and putting spencer in.....that substitution completely changed the momentum when we were playing so well.
I tend to think it was due to the fact we are the most inexperienced team in the league, in addition to the fact that we have 2 guys in Cisco and Landry who have played a total of 3 weeks with this team. We held our own until the final couple minutes.

But I guess that has nothing to do with it and we lost because of a substitution Westphal made with 7 minutes left in the game, huh?

I tend to think it was due to the fact we are the most inexperienced team in the league, in addition to the fact that we have 2 guys in Cisco and Landry who have played a total of 3 weeks with this team. We held our own until the final couple minutes.

But I guess that has nothing to do with it and we lost because of a substitution Westphal made with 7 minutes left in the game, huh?
Yup, always blame our "dumb head coach" for the loss no matter what. Or knee jerk blame those "dumb and totally blind NBA refs" for a split second call or two in a 48 minute game. Well, you know (I know, most of us know) the endless whining around these parts is just a silly, sad, loser mentality.

Westphal definitely did not lose tonight's game, if anything he kept it close throughout and gave his young players a chance to win it on the road - in the Rose Garden where the Kings rarely win. The officials for the most part called a good game and at the very end let the players decide it by hardly blowing any whistles.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
May does not have a long term future with this club so if by some good fortune we could have kept May in instead of Spencer and magically pulled this off (frankly I doubt it), it wouldn't do us a lick of good.

Spencer frustrates me, his future is certainly questionable, but we owe it to ourselves to try and get him to play at his best every night.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Don't worry, more talent will come this offseason. Well, through the draft at least. Also, Raps lost on a Kobe jumper today so I'm worried they'll pour all their frustration on the Kings in the game tomorrow.
Or they could go into complete the sky is falling mode and lay a massive egg.

Or Reke could hit the game winner.

WOW I saw the very same thing! It was 75-75 and I saw them put Spencer back in and I said to my wife, "well. it's all down hill from here". Lo and behold the Kings never got the lead back from that point on. By the time they did take Spencer out it was far too late. I thought May was having a very good game too. He was putting out a good effort and his jumper was going in! Even if he was tired, PW should have given him a rest and ran him back out there as soon as he could.

What was PW thinking putting Hawes back in that game? Putting Hawes in during the 4th quarter of ANY game is a bad idea right now. I saw him try to block a shot flat footed in the fourth and the guard shot right over him. He did not leave his feet on a block attempt. When Hawes came in, the defensive intensity of the entire team changed. He had 9 rebounds though but his +/- was -8 and he had 3 turnovers. All his rebounds are flat footed too. He was not the Good Hawes, he was the bad Hawes who we have seen way too much of lately.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
WOW I saw the very same thing! It was 75-75 and I saw them put Spencer back in and I said to my wife, "well. it's all down hill from here". Lo and behold the Kings never got the lead back from that point on. By the time they did take Spencer out it was far too late. I thought May was having a very good game too. He was putting out a good effort and his jumper was going in! Even if he was tired, PW should have given him a rest and ran him back out there as soon as he could.

What was PW thinking putting Hawes back in that game? Putting Hawes in during the 4th quarter of ANY game is a bad idea right now. I saw him try to block a shot flat footed in the fourth and the guard shot right over him. He did not leave his feet on a block attempt. When Hawes came in, the defensive intensity of the entire team changed. He had 9 rebounds though but his +/- was -8 and he had 3 turnovers. All his rebounds are flat footed too. He was not the Good Hawes, he was the bad Hawes who we have seen way too much of lately.
The +/- Stats are alway gererally skewed. According to those stats, LAndry and Reke were the worst players on the floor and I've a hunch (OK, I know)that that wasn't the case.

I hope they won't. Would be nice to win today, to get some confidence, even though the season is over.

It was definately a frustrating entertaining game to watch. I def see potential more and more with these guys as we aren't really this competitive with Portland in the rose garden.

As for this game I'm not sweating it much, the first one in Portland felt alot more winning and frustrated me more. I just love the fact that these guys won't quit, that's a mentality that will take us further as we gain more pieces the next couple years.

The difference in this game wasn't a sub that PW made or didn't make, or a player that didn't do well in his role. This loss falls squarely on the fact that Portland has a type of player we desperately need.

Marcus Camby.

He was such a huge difference maker down the stretch, disrupiting shots and had all of our guys thinking. If he isn't in this game I am sure our guys pull this out.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's probably also worth noting that when May was pulled for Hawes the entire lineup was shuffled, we had a big lineup going that was paying dividends and JT came out for Landry and perhaps more importantly Reke got a breather for a few and Beno came in and bricked a shot or two long before Hawes had a turnover at the point we were already down 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.