[Game] Kings at Spurs, Friday December 6, 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loss on the team, yes, but also on Luke. Let unproductive offense fester all night, didn't try to improve things by using the bench beyond Ferrell (who also was absent in overtime, despite scoring what 19 pts?). Pour decision-making from the head coach.

Wow! that was bad!!!! to be up by 9 points in late regulation and the spurs were horrible in OT, but the kings were MORE Horrible...The Kings didn't deserve to win this, so I'm glad they didn't...... Even if they had squeezed out a win, I wouldn't have felt good about it being how horrible they played toward the end...

To be fair, we are still missing our two best players and everyone on the team not named Harrison forgot how to shoot.
This wasn't a talent thing tonight, it was all execution. Up 3, and give up a 3. Get into the offense waaay too late and watch it sputter. Being last in pace is starting to hurt now. It's hard to win playing nothing but half court basketball in todays game and if you try, those little mistakes add up. The Spurs gift wrapped it tonight. Total meltdown in every way imaginable. Came out not caring, finished not executing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Buddy continues to be a complete liability on defense, and occasionally brilliant in shooting the ball. Tonight the shooting contributions did not outweigh what he cost them in defensive lapses.
Aside from the Beli 3 which schematically might not have been his fault (though I disagree) I thought Buddy was pretty good on that end tonight.

The bigger issue is that when Buddy's cold from beyond the arc and Bogi's on a minute cap, we are horrific on offense

Not much to wake up to. Just bad basketball.
Nah, this is another game where they were slow to react. They finally started to attack the pick and roll but probably still a little late. Didn't look for foul at the end of regulation and instead played it straight without switching. Allowed Joseph to control the offense in crunch time which isn't his best usage at all. The offense is also letting precious seconds go to waste bringing the ball up which adds up over time.

Buddy continues to be a complete liability on defense, and occasionally brilliant in shooting the ball. Tonight the shooting contributions did not outweigh what he cost them in defensive lapses.
Well in OT he tried to make up for his boneheaded play the end the 4th. He was the only one that scored. 2 fouls on 3 pointers by his teammates didn’t help.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Actual, unironic quote from Sean Elliot: “They lost WCS this off-season and it made them worse”. They’re not as bad as Boston with Heinsohn, but they’re within shouting distance.
Reminds me of the time Boogie actually tried to fight Sean Elliot after a game. Don't want to say it was warranted but hell I could get behind it

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I was really content when the Kings were down in this game. They were just missing open shots, but playing some pretty smart basketball. All was good. If they play smart and hard, but miss open shots I could live with that. But then it all went to ****. So much was wrong at the end. For the life of me, I do not understand why Walton did not have Justin James in the game for defense and Buddy Hield out for non-defense when the Kings were up by three with 14 seconds to play. Maybe it's just me, but I'll take rookie Justin James on D over Buddy Hield in that situation every single time. And then in overtime, when Christie was saying that he'd like to see the ball go through Barnes on offense I was yelling, "Yes, Yes, YES!" But to no avail. Devastating crushing loss.

How about playing Bagley who is now healthy. Just a little infusion of talent to keep the other team honest.
It could help but if they only give him 7 seconds to work like Barnes it's a tough spot to put him in. The Kings have to start being more crisp getting the ball where it needs to go rather than surveying the passing lanes. In a way the team is too unselfish. It's time for the role players to take a step back and give the core pieces the space and time they need. Joseph hit a big SPOT SHOT late in the game like a role player should but he used that confidence to trick himself into believing he was creating the run when he wasn't.

With Dallas and Houston next, Kings will likely end the trip seven games under .500 and be in a worse position than they were in after the 0-5 start.
That's why you can't let games like this and the Bulls game slip away. Now we see what they're made of. One of the next two games likely just became an early season "must win".

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm more indifferent than anything.

I'll tune in when Bags is back. Or maybe for the Dallas game just to see what a **** show the game thread will be when Luka dominates us.

That's why you can't let games like this and the Bulls game slip away. Now we see what they're made of. One of the next two games likely just became an early season "must win".
Well it better be Dallas because I can't remember the last time we beat Houston and Harden always has a field day against us.

I'm more indifferent than anything.

I'll tune in when Bags is back. Or maybe for the Dallas game just to see what a **** show the game thread will be when Luka dominates us.
Defensively if the Kings don't keep the big up high in help on that pick and roll it's very possible. Any guard that can shoot out of pick and roll, which is almost everyone these days has a chance against a sagging help defense that rarely switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.