[Game] Kings at Pelicans, Monday April 12th, 6 PM Pacific (9 PM Eastern)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are the pelicans trying to lose this game lol
I admire the Pels for their ability to get the Lakers to give them a bajillion picks and young players for a dude who was going to go to LA anyway but the hiring of SVG and some of their peripheral moves (trading a first for Adams and extending him, the whole JJ Reddick saga) really makes me wonder if they’re going to mess up the whole building around a first overall pick thing again.

I admire the Pels for their ability to get the Lakers to give them a bajillion picks and young players for a dude who was going to go to LA anyway but the hiring of SVG and some of their peripheral moves (trading a first for Adam’s and extending him, the whole JJ Reddick saga) really makes me wonder if they’re going to mess up the whole building around a first overall pick thing again.
I'll give SVG credit for trying to turn Zion into a PG but I just don't see it. That's misusing him. He looked shaky running that team when things got tighter.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I’m not saying that Luke is great. Part of Corey’s problem is our front line is journeyman level at best. When you are starting guys that couldn’t get off the bench for play-off teams perhaps your issues are in the front court.

Remember we got Barnes for Justin Jackson (who is out of the league) and ZBo who was a retiring expiring. For all the crap Vlade deservedly received he made good trades.
Not every move Vlade made was bad. That was a straight salary dump for Dallas so they could go after Porzingis in the off-season (which hasn't really worked out for them) but I still credit Vlade for making the deal happen at a time when most people saw Barnes' contract as a deal breaker. Those types of deals aren't available every trade deadline though.

I think if you look at where we were a month ago, going out to get some defensive roleplayers without losing any key rotation guys makes a lot of sense. And when all Monte gave up in return was a few essentially meaningless second-round picks, I don't see anything to complain about. No they weren't transformational deals but we're clearly more than a couple pieces away. Unfortunately. It doesn't look like we're making it to the playoffs but we were close enough to take a swing at it when the deals were made.

Huge Lin against a team we need to pass down in the cellar.

Kings are on an encouraging run of futility right now..but I fear we have some BS 4 of 5 around the corner. We have 3 huge games vs OKC over these last 18 games. A couple big ones vs Minnesota and a crucial game vs Washington next. They’ll be bringing their F games so I expect the Kings to reach a little deeper down the stretch here.

Kings are on an encouraging run of futility right now..but I fear we have some BS 4 of 5 around the corner. We have 3 huge games vs OKC over these last 18 games. A couple big ones vs Minnesota and a crucial game vs Washington next. They’ll be bringing their F games so I expect the Kings to reach a little deeper down the stretch here.
Was it ever going to be different? Once teams start tanking the clean up will begin. Dude, this guy literally busted his hump to win the last 2 bubble games against teams not needing the wins for NOTHING. Alex Len and Baze were the only positives out of that run and neither are even here, lol. Those victories did nothing but add two more to his record of abject mediocrity.

no matter how much we “try” we are likely to finish 8th or 9th. The only team we have a reasonable shot at passing is the Raptors. If we finish 8th we still will have some really good players to choose from.

Not every move Vlade made was bad. That was a straight salary dump for Dallas so they could go after Porzingis in the off-season (which hasn't really worked out for them) but I still credit Vlade for making the deal happen at a time when most people saw Barnes' contract as a deal breaker. Those types of deals aren't available every trade deadline though.

I think if you look at where we were a month ago, going out to get some defensive roleplayers without losing any key rotation guys makes a lot of sense. And when all Monte gave up in return was a few essentially meaningless second-round picks, I don't see anything to complain about. No they weren't transformational deals but we're clearly more than a couple pieces away. Unfortunately. It doesn't look like we're making it to the playoffs but we were close enough to take a swing at it when the deals were made.
Depends how close you thought we were to the play-offs. There were two reasonable paths at the time.
1) Make the trades and push for the playoffs.
2) save your draft picks for multiple bites at the draft in hopes a getting a contributing player with your second round picks.

you pay Monte the big bucks to make those calls correctly. Right now it looks like the wrong call. Does it mean he’s a horrible GM? Not definitively but he is stacking up a number of bad calls.

For those in the pro Lin crowd, Washington got a surprise win against Utah tonight. They have been as bad in not picking a direction as us. We shall see which team gets the Woss next game.

Depends how close you thought we were to the play-offs. There were two reasonable paths at the time.
2) save your draft picks for multiple bites at the draft in hopes a getting a contributing player with your second round picks.

you pay Monte the big bucks to make those calls correctly. Right now it looks like the wrong call. Does it mean he’s a horrible GM? Not definitively but he is stacking up a number of bad calls.

I am not ready to say trading away couple 2nd round picks for legit NBA players is bad call.

no matter how much we “try” we are likely to finish 8th or 9th. The only team we have a reasonable shot at passing is the Raptors. If we finish 8th we still will have some really good players to choose from.
I actually think Cleveland can be caught...

3 wins behind us...thats best case that 5th slot with a 10.5% shot at #1...

dude12

Hall of Famer

He’s not.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Fox almost single handedly ruined the tank. Luckily kings pulled it off clanking free throws and 3s
Fox been ruining the tank! No way we’d have that recent hot streak without him dropping 36ppg at 50% from the field or whatever it was..

I can’t stay mad at Swipa though! If anyone’s gonna ruin our tank, I’m glad it’s him!

He has yet to make a bad call with any single move he's made. If Holmes walks for nothing this off-season, that would be the first.