[Game] Kings at Lakers 3/2/12

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'll just take this time to remind folks of the Wizards game where Cousins and Evans told Smart to keep subs in because they were playing well. The subs may not all be on Smart here.
While laudable from a teammate standpoint...I dunno if that is the mindset I want our star players to have. Cousins has a bit of an edge and killer instinct, I've given up on Reke showing that (not that he cant still be an awesome #2 to Cousins).

starters were matadors defensively. Garcia and Salmons both brought defensive intensity. Jimmer was nice in the 4th quarter. Our 3 gaurd lineup showing its defensive weaknesses. Starting Garcia for Thornton is the way to go. Garcia plays intense man and team defense. Tyreke, Thornton and Thomas are not good team defenders at this point.
I can agree with with this. I'm not a fan of MT starting or the 3 guard lineup starting. I like some of this bench mob some think I'm hating on - and think they SHOULD be starters due to their defensive aggressiveness. It would add to a more balanced starter/bench combo. I've pretty much maintained MT should come off the bench.

The bench was playing defense while the starters were not. Cousins was not running the floor. He was arguing with refs. Reke was getting burned by everyone. They got beat multiple times on the lob play. The bench got them back in the game. I've seen too many examples of a coach going back to the starters when the bench brings them back and all momentum is lost.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
btw thought you were going to chart how well the bench did and how they were going to dig us a hole for the starters to have to get us out of. How'd that work out eh? Wouldn't mind seeing that chart.
I did for the 2nd. 7 point deficit when starters left, and didn't return. 7 pt deficit at half. What do you mean how'd that work out? You think my charting has an effect on the game?

and what the hell does that have to do with putting Cuz back in in the 4th? If you'd rather start games with the bench, give Smart a call.

While laudable from a teammate standpoint...I dunno if that is the mindset I want our star players to have. Cousins has a bit of an edge and killer instinct, I've given up on Reke showing that (not that he cant still be an awesome #2 to Cousins).
True, but the only way for Reke to reclaim that and DMC to maintain that edge is to force them into those situations. Nothing comes easy, they have to fight through the tough times to come out ahead imo.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I can agree with with this. I'm not a fan of MT starting or the 3 guard lineup starting. I like some of this bench mob some think I'm hating on - and think they SHOULD be starters due to their defensive aggressiveness. It would add to a more balanced starter/bench combo. I've pretty much maintained MT should come off the bench.
I agree. Just because I thought the bench was in far too long, doesn't mean I don't like the bench. I'd love to see Donte starting and MT off the bench.

Our frontcourt got broken tonight by Gasol/Bynum/officials. I would have preferred Cousins instead of Donte at about 7 minutes left in the fourth. The bench played about as well as any time in recent memory. In the long run, that's the most valuable thing we could have taken away from the game tonight.

I did for the 2nd. 7 point deficit when starters left, and didn't return. 7 pt deficit at half. What do you mean how'd that work out? You think my charting has an effect on the game?

and what the hell does that have to do with putting Cuz back in in the 4th? If you'd rather start games with the bench, give Smart a call.
Never said I'd rather the bench starts the games, I'm just saying you play the guys who are playing well and giving you consistent effort.

I conceded that Cousins maybe should've played over Donte. Not sure what your gripe is with that. I gave you a point right there.

btw if you think the charting thing insinuated you had something to do with how the game turned out, that went way over your head lol.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Our frontcourt got broken tonight by Gasol/Bynum/officials. I would have preferred Cousins instead of Donte at about 7 minutes left in the fourth. The bench played about as well as any time in recent memory. In the long run, that's the most valuable thing we could have taken away from the game tonight.
I don't know, Donte was playing surprisingly good defense against Gasol whereas Cuz and JT were getting absolutely bullied

Great mindset. I hate the fact that Smart didn't bring at least one starter back in but if our bench can play like this every game we could be on to something....

Of course if they get these kind of minutes every game, they better play like this. :/

Last edited:
True, but the only way for Reke to reclaim that and DMC to maintain that edge is to force them into those situations. Nothing comes easy, they have to fight through the tough times to come out ahead imo.
You dont reward their lazy play by putting them in. While i love Cousins, he was jogging/walking up and down the floor, arguing with refs thus giving up layups for the lakers for much of the 3rd quarter, it has to be said. Tyreke and Thornton were playing really bad man and team defense. Garcia, Salmons, and Jimmer were the reason we came back and had all the right to stay in

I don't know, Donte was playing surprisingly good defense against Gasol whereas Cuz and JT were getting absolutely bullied
JT's never been a great defender, he hovers around average at best. Donte is a good defender - that match up made sense to me I mentioned it earlier in the thread. DMC is about an average defender currently that I think worries about foul issues late in the game after he's made the stupid reach ins, but when he played bynum straight up he played him fairly well I thought.

You dont reward their lazy play by putting them in. While i love Cousins, he was jogging/walking up and down the floor, arguing with refs thus giving up layups for the lakers for much of the 3rd quarter, it has to be said. Tyreke and Thornton were playing really bad man and team defense. Garcia, Salmons, and Jimmer were the reason we came back and had all the right to stay in
I was purely speaking about the attitude of a past game and even future games. When Smart wanted to put them back in and they declined. They should mentally want to be in there and go balls to the wall. That will transition into their physical play

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think it's worth saying that if Rn Artest and Matt Barnes play like they've been playing all season and not like they're three years younger, the game probably has a different outcome

He is an awesome player next to Cousins. DMC may have talent oozing out of him but our guy still needs to play so that the opponents can't get at him like they can nowc. Needs to be a 40 minute per game reliable player. And DMC will always want Evans playing next to him.

S

SacramentoKINGS

Sorry usually just a lurker but had to make a name now... Kobe really shot more free throws than our whole team? At least he looks completely retarded in that mask. Hate the Lakers sorry I am just mad right now. :)

you guys are unbelievable. The starters are playing like crap, the bench brings us back from 20, and you want to sub them out?

lol
The lol part is that the bench brought us back into it against the Lakers'e bench. As soon as the starters came back in, Lakers made enough of a buffer. Jimmer goes on a bit of a run and they call a time out to break the momentum....the end result, Lakers comfortably!

Its not that hard to come back against the Lakers bench.

The lol part is that the bench brought us back into it against the Lakers'e bench. As soon as the starters came back in, Lakers made enough of a buffer. Jimmer goes on a bit of a run and they call a time out to break the momentum....the end result, Lakers comfortably!

Its not that hard to come back against the Lakers bench.
The guards, Jimmer, Cisco, and Salmons were matching up with the Lakers' guards pretty well. There weren't any reason to take them out. Hayes and Greene shoud've been subbed in by Cousins and JT. The help defense were aimed towards stopping the Laker's front court from overpowering Greene and Hayes. Not only that, Cousins and JT would've given us the better chance at grabbing rebounds compared to Greene and Hayes. That dagger 3 from Kobe was the result of the Kings' inability to grab the defensive rebound in that possession.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There is an art to subbing out a bench that has gotten you back into it. You don't take them out at the peak of their run, but you take them out as soon as that waver comes with the other team pushing back. For us it was at about the 3:30 to 4:00 mark, we had cut it to 5, the Lakers pushed it to 8 -- that would have been the perfect time to try to close it with the main guns. Then the Lakers pushed it to 10 and then you NEED to get the big guns back in. Not doing so is as irresponsible as pulling them too early. Gives you no chance to win. Kobe Bryant is NOT going to be closed out by Jimmer, Salmons and Cisco. Those guys did a great job getting us back in it, and you let them go until the tide starts turning. But when it does you go back to your main guys and hope that they can just beat the Lakers for 4 minutes. And they can. They have. Otherwise all that work the bench did is a waste without you making the call as the coach to help us finish it off.

There is an art to subbing out a bench that has gotten you back into it. You don't take them out at the peak of their run, but you take them out as soon as that waver comes with the other team pushing back. For us it was at about the 3:30 to 4:00 mark, we had cut it to 5, the Lakers pushed it to 8 -- that would have been the perfect time to try to close it with the main guns. Then the Lakers pushed it to 10 and then you NEED to get the big guns back in. Not doing so is as irresponsible as pulling them too early. Gives you no chance to win. Kobe Bryant is NOT going to be closed out by Jimmer, Salmons and Cisco. Those guys did a great job getting us back in it, and you let them go until the tide starts turning. But when it does you go back to your main guys and hope that they can just beat the Lakers for 4 minutes. And they can. They have. Otherwise all that work the bench did is a waste without you making the call as the coach to help us finish it off.
If there was anyone in a Kings jersey out there who could put a stop to Kobe, it'd be Salmons or Cisco.

We don't know how the starters would've played, but at least with Jimmer, Cisco, and Salmons, we already knew what we were getting. The front court just didnt make sense.

Sloan would have left the Bench in. The starters were that bad.

Sloan would have left the Bench in. The starters were that bad.
Fonts was bad. No need to have him in there. We should have brought back cousins at least in the end. When we cut it to 5, I was sure smart was going to put one of the starters back in, but nope. Yes, the bench brought us back in, but like brick said, the moment you feel the momentum shift once again, you bring some starters back in.

Anyway, jimmer killed the crowds' chance at free tacos and a couple kings fans won some money by beating the spread.

Fun night overall.