Kings at 9

I’d not want to be accused of tanking, but it would be good to play the other players we haven’t seen much this year like Kyle Guy. I’d hate to release Guy and then see him become great with another team. The same with Justin James. It looked like he had a good game against the Jazz a couple nights ago.
I’m still hoping for Davion Mitchell in the draft.

That’s fair too. I was okay with the choice if your goal was to do a rebuild. But that direction is not what we did. Oh and we are far from locked in at the 7 spot. Those Davis, Harkless and Wright acquisitions are enough to beat OKC’s G league roster 3 times.
or an occasional Dallas or Lakers team.

you would think after the “acquire Journeyman players” strategy failed enough to earn you the longest play-off drought ever Vivek would have learned

So you’re saying we got them right where we want them?
View attachment 10529
How many tries did it take you to get that screen shot?

After 15 years: the Kings have perfected being a D student. Not surprisingly they follow the same script:
Step 1) fire the GM
Step 2) hire a new Meh GM
Step 3) have him trade draft capital for mediocre role players because the meddling owner want to make the play-offs.
Step 4) finish out of the play-offs and out of the top 5 by playing middling role players major minutes
Step 5) watch your one lucky good player get frustrated and leave.
Step 6) return to Step 1

After 15 years: the Kings have perfected being a D student. Not surprisingly they follow the same script:
Step 1) fire the GM
Step 3) have him trade draft capital for mediocre role players because the meddling owner want to make the play-offs.
Step 4) finish out of the play-offs and out of the top 5 by playing middling role players major minutes
Step 6) return to Step 1
What step was “finally move up in the draft instead of continually staying put or falling back, even with the worst record in the league, and have a chance to draft a generational talent...and blow it?”

Edit: nvm. they went off script that year

SLAB

Hall of Famer
tied for 7 with 3 upcoming with OKC. We will be 9 or 10 in our customary spot late in the lottery but not in the playoffs.
These ever so important Lin’s agains the Lakers and Mavs are going to hurt when we start beating the teams who are trying to tank. Sup, OKC!

and why is no one considering my posts that what if we go on a win streak to close the season and Vivek tells everyone Luke is his man again. I want it to happen, I’m ready for the world to burn. Have been since June 21st 2018.

These ever so important Lin’s agains the Lakers and Mavs are going to hurt when we start beating the teams who are trying to tank. Sup, OKC!

and why is no one considering my posts that what if we go on a win streak to close the season and Vivek tells everyone Luke is his man again. I want it to happen, I’m ready for the world to burn. Have been since June 21st 2018.
How dare you even put that out into the universe. If you speak it into existence, u might get nominated for banishment as long as his contract

What step was “finally move up in the draft instead of continually staying put or falling back, even with the worst record in the league, and have a chance to draft a generational talent...and blow it?”

Edit: nvm. they went off script that year
No they got lucky but Vlade while lucky couldn’t take advantage.

Considering is not the correct verb. FEARFUL would be closer to my sense on that. That would be so Vivek.

Step 1) fire the GM
Step 6) return to Step 1
You forgot not clean sweeping the previous GM's crony coaching hire. Vlade didn't cut bait with Karl right at the start, and he paid for it. Monte is paying the price now.

You forgot not clean sweeping the previous GM's crony coaching hire. Vlade didn't cut bait with Karl right at the start, and he paid for it. Monte is paying the price now.
That is assuming he had a choice. This year he deserves the benefit of doubt. There was smoke indicating that he didn't. Whether true or not is another matter but given Vivek's history, I will side on history. If he's here next year, then that is on McNair.

That is assuming he had a choice. This year he deserves the benefit of doubt. There was smoke indicating that he didn't. Whether true or not is another matter but given Vivek's history, I will side on history. If he's here next year, then that is on McNair.
Doesn't matter, that falls on his record. I'm sure Vlade had to put up with the same kind of stuff and it went on his record too.

The book is out on Vivek. Whoever comes to work for him does so with clear eyes.

The book is out on Vivek. Whoever comes to work for him does so with clear eyes.
Or worse tells Vivek what he wants to hear so he gets the job when other more well respected candidates drop out.

The book isn’t fully written on McNair as his draft prowess is still an open book. But those who want to pin this clusterf*ck of a season solely on Walton are being way too generous.

I agree lots of smoke but at the end of the day McNair runs Basketball ops and if it fails because he can’t do what he needs to do it still falls on him.

But those who want to pin this clusterf*ck of a season solely on Walton are being way too generous.
It's not solely on Walton but a lot of what has gone wrong appears to be poor leadership and bad roster management. While some are quick to blame whichever player goes out with an injury and then the team makes a run on the player who is out, it's also possible that the system is so bad that the players are hungry enough to get results when the system can't work as designed.

The only thing we can say about McNair so far is he picked the best player on the board in the first round (that a lot of other guys missed) and that he hasn't made any moves that will tie us down long term. Unless you are in the camp that hates Fox so much and believes we should not have extended him. That take is a little crazy to me, but ok.

I'm all on the "can't wait for my fav player to go somewhere else and be huge while our team continues to extend its playoff drought despite having these supposed legends on the team" boat

With so many teams putting out legitimate G-League rosters this year we were never going to have good odds at a top pick. I'm not going to lose sleep because we somehow were not able to out tank those rosters well enough to give us a good shot at Jalen Green. My hope though is we can draft smart this year wherever we land and actually do the work this offseason (trading away Barnes, Hield, etc) to hit the ground running to tank properly next year. The 2022 draft is even more loaded than this years. If we can go into the 2022-23 season with a core of Fox, Haliburton, Keon Johnson, and Chet Holmgren I think we will all be able to sleep pretty easy at night.

With so many teams putting out legitimate G-League rosters this year we were never going to have good odds at a top pick. I'm not going to lose sleep because we somehow were not able to out tank those rosters well enough to give us a good shot at Jalen Green. My hope though is we can draft smart this year wherever we land and actually do the work this offseason (trading away Barnes, Hield, etc) to hit the ground running to tank properly next year. The 2022 draft is even more loaded than this years. If we can go into the 2022-23 season with a core of Fox, Haliburton, Keon Johnson, and Chet Holmgren I think we will all be able to sleep pretty easy at night.
I agree on the first part of your post but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a tank next season. If a 5th year Fox and a second year Haliburton net us a top 5 pick we are screwed.

We need who ever we pick to be a plus role player or better, figure out what to do with Bagley, get big improvement from Hali and a bit better shooting from Fox. If we do all that and also get a new coach I expect us to be in the playoff hunt next year.

Last edited: