Kings and free agency - part 2

Why are some of the Sacramento guys so negative? CMD was saying yesterday that he didn't like giving Wes all that money and he'd prefer if we just be patient and get other guys..so we don't get Wes, instead we get Belinelli at less than half of Wes and we sign a 1 year prove it deal with Rondo. We still have 10million left in cap.. Zeller thinks we will suck this season too.

Just not understanding why of all times, NOW is when they become pessimistic.
I don't say this because I waste too much time here, but the best analysis you're going to find on the Kings is on this forum.

I still can't get the idea out of my mind of Hedo coming back and being a sharpshooter off the bench for us.
Let's get Hedo... We can finally get our defensive wing in Gerald Wallace too. In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind if we added these players. But, I'm pretty sure Wallace is still on his ugly contract

I don't say this because I waste too much time here, but the best analysis you're going to find on the Kings is on this forum.
I think you mean "me on this forum" self promo going on? ;)

Yea I don't know about all those guys, but I'm excited for next season. Can't wait to see what Vlade can build together.

Rondo's bad year is the only thing to worry about.

Besides our ongoing Karl/Cuz drama.

Assure me '11-12 Rondo just signed and we are sitting pretty having cleared spare parts and added contributors at 3 positions, with money still left over.

Toss a vet min at Miller at the end of the day and you could have mediocre but deep and experienced backcourt with enough answers not to lose games at least.

Belinelli/McLemore/Anderson
Rondo/Collison/Miller/McCallum
If Darren isn't cool with the situation then things can quickly go awry.

Spacing is a concern still. Dallas had a lot of shooters and they dropped off offensively with Rondo on court. If Rajan doesn't drive then things will get tough.

And if Rondo does great? Does he just leave after?

I just don't find the payoff to be equal to the risk.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I looked it up, teams can go over the cap to sign their first round rookies so Cauley-Stein's contract shouldn't count against our available cap space. That means we still have about $14 million in cap space remaining.
that's a handy little find

that actually means we could do some crazy things like absorb Nene's $13mil ending contract, or help the Suns afford LMA by taking Markieff Morris and PJ Tucker off their hands, THEN go ahead and sign WCS, add Omri on the Room MLE, one or two rumored names on vet mins, and be ready to rumble.

Media narrative (though accurate in pieces)

Before July 1:

"OMG the Kings are a dumpster fire, anyone they convince to come there will be 3rd tier and have to be overpaid. Plus they have no cap space."

After today:

"OMG the Kings got a bunch of 3rd tier FA's, overpaid for one and gave up way too much for Cap Space -- What a dumpster fire"

I'd like to know what any of the major talking heads expected as a best-case given the circumstances. I think Vlade may have made us some lemonade.

What a great off season! I like bricks mention of maybe taking nene! Cause we really need one more PF/C I'm already counting down the days till opening night!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked it up, teams can go over the cap to sign their first round rookies so Cauley-Stein's contract shouldn't count against our available cap space. That means we still have about $14 million in cap space remaining.
I don't think that's right. Yeah you can go over the cap to sign them but the scale salary is included in team salary.

From Larry Coon CBA FAQ #52

Unsigned first round picks are included in team salary immediately upon their selection in the draft. They count as 100% of the scale salary for that pick, unless there is a verbal agreement for a higher salary
It does actually help to not sign him though, since it's typical that rookies get 120 percent of scal salary, so by holding off we're actually only saving that extra 20 percent

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I can't believe that Derrick Williams got $10 million dollars guaranteed after averaging 8 and 3 in 20 minutes last season and Thomas Robinson got only $2.2 million dollars after averaging 6 and 6 in 15 minutes.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't think that's right. Yeah you can go over the cap to sign them but the scale salary is included in team salary.

From Larry Coon CBA FAQ #52

It does actually help to not sign him though, since it's typical that rookies get 120 percent of scal salary, so by holding off we're actually only saving that extra 20 percent
I was looking at the cap exceptions:

ROOKIE EXCEPTION -- Teams may sign their first round draft picks to rookie "scale" contracts even if they will be over the cap as a result
I suppose that allows teams that are over the salary cap to sign their first round picks then? I missed the part about the cap hold applying at the time of the draft. I'm always wrong with these CBA details. :rolleyes:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
As of Friday evening 7pm my brain is fried, diced and sliced following this FA stuff and the Kings. So here is my FA update related to Kings:

GONE
Matthews signing with Mavs
Tobias Harris to sign with Magic 6/$64M
Patrick Beverley to sign with Rockets 4/$25M
Jared Dudley to sign back east
Our Derrick Williams signing with Knicks for 2/$10!!!

Kings to sign:
Rondo for 1/$9M
Belinelli 6-5 3-pt shooter for 3/$19M
James Anderson 6-6 SG multi-year but no $$ known yet

Kingsa apparently talking with Kostas Koufos, Lou Williams, Miroslav Radujica a 7ft 250 Serb whose 27 yr, Quincy Acy (?), Lou Williams, Jeremy Lin and possibly Reggie Jackson. Likely more but those I confirmed this afternoon and early evening.

My head hurts :eek:

Entity

Hall of Famer
We really need to spend the majority of our cap space on the 2nd/3rd big depending on where you WCS right now.
Kosta Koufos, Josh Smith are the two that will require the most money both have qualitys that will help. Both are upgrades from last year.

Jordan Hill, Brandon Bass. Both role playing bigs that could start slight upgrade or even with JT

Andray Blatche, Kevin Seraphin, biyimbo, Reggie Evans, cole Aldrich, all 3rd and 4th bigs definitely.

Really need WCS to hit that potential early unless we get one of the top guys

We really need to spend the majority of our cap space on the 2nd/3rd big depending on where you WCS right now.
Kosta Koufos, Josh Smith are the two that will require the most money both have qualitys that will help. Both are upgrades from last year.

Jordan Hill, Brandon Bass. Both role playing bigs that could start slight upgrade or even with JT

Andray Blatche, Kevin Seraphin, biyimbo, Reggie Evans, cole Aldrich, all 3rd and 4th bigs definitely.

Really need WCS to hit that potential early unless we get one of the top guys
Agreed. Don't love the Rondo fit but can't argue the upgrade we've had in the backcourt. The frontcourt needs some work and there are options.

What do you think it is?
Fegan pulling more crap that the Kings aren't having any of. I could totally see Fegan using Casspi's situation to screw the Kings over. Probably asking for the rest of the Kings space or something. I think it's too early in the process for us to already decide we aren't resigning him. Hopefully just negotiation frustration

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fegan pulling more crap that the Kings aren't having any of. I could totally see Fegan using Casspi's situation to screw the Kings over. Probably asking for the rest of the Kings space or something. I think it's too early in the process for us to already decide we aren't resigning him. Hopefully just negotiation frustration
Omri WANTS to be here. Fegan doesn't have much leverage in that regard, as Casspi can fire him if he doesn't do what's right for his client.

I've been intrigued at the prospect of Rondo playing here for years, and I finally get to see it play out on the court. :)

I also prefer the 1-yr deal over a long-term deal, because it suggests that Rondo still has game left.
If he sucked like most people say he does, he would have cashed out with a multi-year deal.
The fact that he signed here, and obviously wants to prove he can still play at a high level, then after he does he can get PAID with the crazy money that will be thrown around next year, is a good sign.

BTW - where's all those KingsFans who were wailing just hours ago that the Stouskas trade was the worst ever? Where's the impatient, hyper-critical guys?

Rondo + Bellinelli is highly likely better than Landry, JT, Stouskas, and a 15+ draft pick.
I guess we'll see.
i'm here. are you telling me we dumped all those assets for rondo & belinelli?

we already had 10m in capspace(rondo cost). belinelli costed roughly 6m and change. are you telling me we couldn't swing a smaller deal to free up to get beli without burning through all those assets?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
i'm here. are you telling me we dumped all those assets for rondo & belinelli?

we already had 10m in capspace(rondo cost). belinelli costed roughly 6m and change. are you telling me we couldn't swing a smaller deal to free up to get beli without burning through all those assets?
Yes, that's what we're telling you. Nor could we make the moves yet to come. This is what freedom feels like. We haven't had this much in half a decade at least.