Kings after Ingram

If you think Ingram is injured prone, you ain't seen nothing yet. Lauri markkanen is even worst. Probably the reason why teams want to get rid of them. People talk about their potential, but not their value. How valuable are they when they're missing 20-30 games per year? Keegan is proven pretty valuable by not missing much of the game at all.
At this point it seems pretty unlikely the Kings are doing anything but running it back.

If you think Ingram is injured prone, you ain't seen nothing yet. Lauri markkanen is even worst. Probably the reason why teams want to get rid of them. People talk about their potential, but not their value. How valuable are they when they're missing 20-30 games per year? Keegan is proven pretty valuable by not missing much of the game at all.
I think Lauri is more durable than suggested. Utah shut him down at the end of the season.

If Monte can't at least get some salary flexibility and get Huerter off his books that sucks. If Monte's not even trying that's a huge mistake. Apparently he didn't learn his lesson with Holmes.

If Monte can't at least get some salary flexibility and get Huerter off his books that sucks. If Monte's not even trying that's a huge mistake. Apparently he didn't learn his lesson with Holmes.
We have been connected to multiple trades out there, particularly to a couple of bigger names in Lauri and Ingram. I don’t think there is a lack of effort but if the asking price has been too high (most likely in the case of Lauri) or if we are asking BI to resign (a possibility), then it makes sense that there is no news. Some things take time and some trades aren’t worth pursuing. For example, I like Lauri and think he would make us exceptional, but losing Murray in the process makes me do a full stop and seriously reconsider. I like the idea of Murray and BI more than just Lauri, but it’s close I have to admit. Murray could learn a thing or two from BI.

Well, with the defense trending up towards the end of last season and the emergence of Keon, I'll remain cautiously optimistic even if we do just "run it back" again.

OKC, Nuggets, Wolves, are still top tier, but there's no reason why we can't be in the mix for ~5 seed.

As is I'd say the Kings are better than GS, and both LA teams. Hopefully we can duck the Pels. Klay could arguably make the Mavs worse, nevermind Kyrie being overdue for dumb drama. Suns are a paper tiger.

Organic growth is a thing, even if impatient fans don't think so.

That being said, I'm still obsessively checking if Monte made a "splashy" move haha

As much as I want Monte to upgrade the team, and for us to contend, I would rather not do any trade, than a bad trade.

Not saying that you are suggesting anything like that (in fact, you are suggesting salary flexibility), but no idea what the landscape is.

Most contending teams are paying 2-3 stars max money, and trying to fill the roster around them with useful players. This includes teams lots more successful and richer than us. While I don't want to label Vivek as cheap, let's see if and when he goes deep into luxury tax category.

Pretty soon, we'll be paying Fox and keegan. These (along with Domas) will be our 3 max-players. Ultimately, we go as far as they take us. We neither have the resources, nor probably an owner, who is willing to purchase a third star right now (when Keegan is on a rookie deal).

Hopefully, Keegan grows into an all-star very soon, and we get our big-3. Doesn't seem we are buying our way to that (probably for good).

We have been connected to multiple trades out there, particularly to a couple of bigger names in Lauri and Ingram. I don’t think there is a lack of effort but if the asking price has been too high (most likely in the case of Lauri) or if we are asking BI to resign (a possibility), then it makes sense that there is no news. Some things take time and some trades aren’t worth pursuing. For example, I like Lauri and think he would make us exceptional, but losing Murray in the process makes me do a full stop and seriously reconsider. I like the idea of Murray and BI more than just Lauri, but it’s close I have to admit. Murray could learn a thing or two from BI.
Yeah, but if that dries up, Monte needs to pivot towards roster and cap flexibility. There is a shot for him to be a player next summer, but it will literally be his last with a Fox/Domas build most likely.

Yeah, but if that dries up, Monte needs to pivot towards roster and cap flexibility. There is a shot for him to be a player next summer, but it will literally be his last with a Fox/Domas build most likely.
I think we see a trade before the trade deadline, if not in the next couple of days. He sees the west weakening, it’s time to take advantage. It’s probably the weakest it’s been in over a decade.

As much as I want Monte to upgrade the team, and for us to contend, I would rather not do any trade, than a bad trade.

Not saying that you are suggesting anything like that (in fact, you are suggesting salary flexibility), but no idea what the landscape is.

Most contending teams are paying 2-3 stars max money, and trying to fill the roster around them with useful players. This includes teams lots more successful and richer than us. While I don't want to label Vivek as cheap, let's see if and when he goes deep into luxury tax category.

Pretty soon, we'll be paying Fox and keegan. These (along with Domas) will be our 3 max-players. Ultimately, we go as far as they take us. We neither have the resources, nor probably an owner, who is willing to purchase a third star right now (when Keegan is on a rookie deal).

Hopefully, Keegan grows into an all-star very soon, and we get our big-3. Doesn't seem we are buying our way to that (probably for good).
It's as simple as this potentially, if Monte can cut that last year off of both Huerter and Barnes he can be a player next summer with near max money to spend while KEEPING all of the pieces he should be keeping. Maybe picks and all. I just really think there is a chance that next season Huerter is pushed in favor of need again if he stays. Barnes doesn't really have competition for his spot so his outlook at this point should be much brighter. Huerter as a backup SF won't cut it. There will be very few minutes there most nights unless Brown goes super small and Lyles doesn't play much. Huerter is in the middle of a pack of guys that while some are young and unproven, they fill the needs Brown has been looking for since the start of the first playoff series against the Dubs. The same series that was the downturn in Huerters role with the team.

You really think the west went from being a conference where 46 wins was tied for the 9/10 seed, to as weak as it's been in a decade?
I think, in terms of talent in the West, that it’s probably the most open it’s been in a long time. A lot of teams got worse in my opinion or added players that won’t have much of an impact. Denver got worse, as did the Clippers, Warriors, Lakers and Pelicans. You still have your powerhouses in the Wolves and Suns, but it’s not as scary in the west as it has been.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think, in terms of talent in the West, that it’s probably the most open it’s been in a long time. A lot of teams got worse in my opinion or added players that won’t have much of an impact. Denver got worse, as did the Clippers, Warriors, Lakers and Pelicans. You still have your powerhouses in the Wolves and Suns, but it’s not as scary in the west as it has been.
I'm not sure I buy that all these teams are worse. The Clippers losing PG3 is a big blow but the Warriors swapping Melton in for injured Klay is an upgrade. The Pelicans might take a step backward in the short-term but they got a lot younger and added some valuable defenders. The Lakers already weren't a threat but Memphis could be back with a full season of Ja. OKC got huge upgrades with Hartenstein and Caruso. Utah may have just had the best draft of anyone (or were runner-up to Washington anyway) and they still have a lot of assets left to trade off. Denver lost KCP but he's already in his 30s anyway and they added a potential stud in the draft. Despite being capped out, Minnesota and Phoenix are spending like crazy and adding significant pieces to their core groups. SA has Wemby...

A year ago this looked like it was opening up a bit as our division rivals were all loading up on end of career former superstars but its become clear that nobody in the West is going to stand still long enough to slowly wilt away. The West is going to stay tough for a lot longer. Which is all the more reason not to make a panic motivated short-term move which costs us our future.

I'm not sure I buy that all these teams are worse. The Clippers losing PG3 is a big blow but the Warriors swapping Melton in for injured Klay is an upgrade. The Pelicans might take a step backward in the short-term but they got a lot younger and added some valuable defenders. The Lakers already weren't a threat but Memphis could be back with a full season of Ja. OKC got huge upgrades with Hartenstein and Caruso. Utah may have just had the best draft of anyone (or were runner-up to Washington anyway) and they still have a lot of assets left to trade off. Denver lost KCP but he's already in his 30s anyway and they added a potential stud in the draft. Despite being capped out, Minnesota and Phoenix are spending like crazy and adding significant pieces to their core groups. SA has Wemby...

A year ago this looked like it was opening up a bit as our division rivals were all loading up on end of career former superstars but its become clear that nobody in the West is going to stand still long enough to slowly wilt away. The West is going to stay tough for a lot longer. Which is all the more reason not to make a panic motivated short-term move which costs us our future.
Pels step back?

Pels added a player with more assists than any player on their roster who is big enough to play the 2 on defense. They need a center and surprised they didn’t get Hartenstein but centers are pretty easy to obtain. Guessing they can pry someone from somewhere.

The west and Denver got worse but the Southwest got much better.