Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters
While I'm not his biggest fan, I do think you're underselling Thompson a bit here. Also the ultimate judgement should wait until we see what he trade Thompson for.
Dig a little deeper into his metrics and you'll see that he's not a very good player. He rebounds and that's about it. He's not Bagley on defense but even Woj is getting roasted on twitter for calling him "quality insurance" in case Holmes is gone.

I mean a lot of us aren't even thinking he's going to play a game here in Sacramento so that kind of shows you how weird this trade is. We were all very happy when he flipped CoJo for Wright. Clear upgrade. But now he just flipped Wright for the CoJo of centers. A guy who is supposed to be good at defense but isn't really very good at it anymore. I don't see a genius at work here. I'll admit I'm wrong if we trade Thompson for the Wright of small forwards but I think we're just going to see TT in a Kings uni wasting our time as fans.

Kings going after shot blocking goalies at 5–I agree with the moves. Monte starting to show his true feelings towards Holmes. Shoulda sold him at the trade deadline.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That’s my absolute cap for him, so that’s neat.

… was the number anything different than slightly above 10mil/per at some point?
Yeah we could have traded away tons of assets to make more money available because otherwise he was getting that as the early bird deal. I don't think it actually changed after we swapped Cojo for Wright.

Also I'll take a movable contract that sees the court over 2 draft picks that we'll have forgotten in 2 years. It's good asset management to have an MLE level guy on an expiring that you can move when you are over the cap. They are Tetris pieces for operating over the cap. 2nd rounders are throwaway things you can buy/sell with cash but they also come in handy in salary dumps so the team dumping can claim "something". That psychological claim clearly works, too.

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42
Sources confirm that Boston is acquiring Josh Richardson with their $11M trade exception. Because the salary for Richardson jumps to $11.6M in 2021/22, the trade will get finalized on Saturday. The Mavericks will create a $10.9M trade exception as part of the deal.

Dig a little deeper into his metrics and you'll see that he's not a very good player. He rebounds and that's about it. He's not Bagley on defense but even Woj is getting roasted on twitter for calling him "quality insurance" in case Holmes is gone.

I mean a lot of us aren't even thinking he's going to play a game here in Sacramento so that kind of shows you how weird this trade is. We were all very happy when he flipped CoJo for Wright. Clear upgrade. But now he just flipped Wright for the CoJo of centers. A guy who is supposed to be good at defense but isn't really very good at it anymore. I don't see a genius at work here. I'll admit I'm wrong if we trade Thompson for the Wright of small forwards but I think we're just going to see TT in a Kings uni wasting our time as fans.
to put it in perspective he couldn’t get time on the Celtics who were barely above 500 in the east. A 6’ 10” free agent center from Germany started over him. I suspect he will be behind Holmes (if he resigns as this takes money from him) and the Rookie.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
to put it in perspective he couldn’t get time on the Celtics who were barely above 500 in the east. A 6’ 10” free agent center from Germany started over him. I suspect he will be behind Holmes (if he resigns as this takes money from him) and the Rookie.
It actually doesn't unless we are moving big money in a salary dump. As has been pointed out time and again the team is effectively at the cap and had to renounce all players to even have wiggle room, when we made Davis restricted that put an end to that.

It actually doesn't unless we are moving big money in a salary dump. As has been pointed out time and again the team is effectively at the cap and had to renounce all players to even have wiggle room, when we made Davis restricted that put an end to that.
I am going off the post I saw above from Bobby Marks that says Sacramento can now only offer 10.4M for Holmes versus 11M previously I believe. Also I believe we only extended a qualifying offer on Davis which we can choose to rescind. Given our pick not sure if we will resign Davis or not.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I am going off the post I saw above from Bobby Marks that says Sacramento can now only offer 10.4M for Holmes versus 11M previously. Also I believe we only extended a qualifying offer on Davis which we can choose to rescind. Given our pick not sure if we will resign Davis or not.
Right but we would have had to renounce all our holds to get to 11m vs. the using the early bird (which I heard was more like 10.6 or something, but whatever). If we're talking about a half million that is pretty useless if we're in a bidding war against a team with space.

eta: if we renounced all our holds to give an extra half million to Richuan it also leaves us with 2-3 more holes to fill and limited ways to fill them.

This just sounds like a knee jerk move after our draft didn't go as planned. I had hope Delon could have at least been an add-on in a Buddy or Marvin trade. He still has some kind of positive value around the league. TT does not... accept apparently to us.

I just see TT mailing it in all season, waiting out his time, sitting with constant ghost injuries. Just no heart or soul in it for him. Hopefully not teaching the kids any bad habits. Hope not.

From my understanding from what I’ve read here many times and other places, we can go over the cap when we sign holmes with the early bird rights. So using part of our remaining cap doesn’t really effect him. Unless we wanted to clear more room to sign him for more than 4/50. Which would have been hard and not a lot of us wanted in the first place.

Also reading online that we should waive or stretch TT for more cap room to sign holmes, which also makes no sense. Why would we trade for a bigger contract just to waive/stretch when we could have done it with Wright in the first place? We got TT as either holmes backup/insurance/or to trade. I have no idea why we would trade 1 for 1 just to waive.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This just sounds like a knee jerk move after our draft didn't go as planned. I had hope Delon could have at least been an add-on in a Buddy or Marvin trade. He still has some kind of positive value around the league. TT does not... accept apparently to us.

I just see TT mailing it in all season, waiting out his time, sitting with constant ghost injuries. Just no heart or soul in it for him. Hopefully not teaching the kids any bad habits. Hope not.
If anything it would be a knee jerk move to the Buddy trade falling apart. And apparently everyone thought it was on.

But I don't think shuffling around MLE players is knee jerk anything. It's boring stuff like a Monday team office meeting.
Contract year bigs tend to outplay their value. I'm fine keeping him around as long as we don't re-sign him.

While I'm not his biggest fan, I do think you're underselling Thompson a bit here. Also the ultimate judgement should wait until we see what he trade Thompson for.
He's not. He's been bad for a couple years now. And he's hurt a lot

This is a terrible trade and I'm quickly losing any small amount of confidence I had left in Monte McNair.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This is definitely worse than any move Vlade or those other morons did ever and now the franchise is irrevocably crippled. I am going to renounce my fandom the minute Marvin signs with another team.
I can at least understand the Davion pick bearing a breaking point but trading our 4th guard for a backup big?

Entity

Hall of Famer
So wait people are acting like we traded fox for speedy Claxton here. This is a bench player that we just drafted a guy to replace him for a guy stay has been a starting big in the nba for 7-8 year and before last year averaged a double double 2 years in a row and he may not even be our starter.

Wright has higher value, so this is not Monte’s best day. On the other hand, we’re perhaps not giving Monte credit for trying to trade the backcourt vets (Hield and Wright) that Luke would surely play in front of Davion.