Kings’ Jackson Undergoes Successful Wrist Surgery (merged)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Insomniacal Fan said:
Might take a bit away from having his jersey retired just a week or two before :)

Something makes me doubt that Stockton has kept in NBA shape. After so many years in the league, I'd be enjoying life with my wife and umpteen kids.
Actualy he works out with the players at Gonzaga still... giving back to the school he credits with giving so much to him... but I doubt if he is interested in playing NBA any longer, his ego does not seem to need a ring as much as other players.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
John Stockton is NOT going to come out of retirement to sign a short-term contract with Sacramento. Why would he?

Yes, we will miss Bobby Jackson but I have every faith that Geoff Petrie will do what is right for the team. It's not like they haven't had to overcome injuries before. We found a way to win without Peja and we found a way to win without Chris. They will find a way to win without Bobby.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
yeah, but I still think GP will bring in a backup of some sort, one the likes of a Bremer, or a Corey Benjamin or something.
How about Liu Wei, he should know are system.

That pg would cut into Mo and Martins minutes, and I don't mind Doug playing point since he has been anyways. Those two add athleticism and hustle, things that this team (greatly) needs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mad D has made a very good comment, IMHO. I'm not sure I want another veteran PG to come in if it means taking minutes away from Evans and Martin.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I still think they may be planning on re-signing Courtney Alexander. He's sure been around town a lot.

ah crap, this SUCKS!!!!

man oh man GET WELL SOON BOBBY!!!!!! please OH PLEASE try to be back for the last few regular season games!!!!

nuts. ah well, at least special K will be getting plenty of time as doug will be mike's backup, so doug shall need plenty of backups himself :D

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bringing in just a vet to play PG serves no real purpose. And yes he will take time from Evans and Martin. BUT do the Kings want to go into the post season with no vet to back up Bibby? That being said IF a good PG espcialy an experienced vet becomes avalilable he might well be worth signing. Should (hevan foirbid) Bibby or DC go down the Kings would be in deep deep trouble and we haveno way of knowing yet if Martin or Evans are up to the task (I'd like to thnk they are but Im not suer I'd bet my job on it.)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
HndsmCelt said:
Bringing in just a vet to play PG serves no real purpose. And yes he will take time from Evans and Martin. BUT do the Kings want to go into the post season with no vet to back up Bibby? That being said IF a good PG espcialy an experienced vet becomes avalilable he might well be worth signing. Should (hevan foirbid) Bibby or DC go down the Kings would be in deep deep trouble and we haveno way of knowing yet if Martin or Evans are up to the task (I'd like to thnk they are but Im not suer I'd bet my job on it.)
Doug has been playing the point more and more, and doing a pretty good job of it.

I know it makes sense to bring in back-up, but I just shudder to think that doing so might put Kevin or Mo back deep in the rotation.

I'm just going to put my faith in Petrie. It seems to work most of the times, even when I'm scratching my head and trying to figure out why he's done what he's done.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There is absolutely no question we need a backup point with Bobby out. As it stands right now, we are the shallowest team in the league at that position. Looked like Utah was briefly going to expose us when they attacked Bibby early and sent him to the bench, but they got away from it. Still, we're one bit of foul trouble or a rolled ankle away from disaster.

But there are two ways to go -- either a) just pick up a spare PG type to have in emergencies/garbaetime and hope that Martin/Evans can actually provide the quality rotation minutes we need; or b) try to find an impact guy like Bobby to actually take his minutes.

The problem with a) is that if you get a guy who sucks, he really CAN'T help, even if we need him too. And if you get some sort of middling vet guy, after seeing how Adelman handled Peeler vs. GWall last year I am not at all confident he doesn't backslide into a comfort zone with a boring middling vet rather than an explosive younger guy.

The problem with b) is that it would require a trade, and would be a hard player to find. A pure PG is only going to get a handful of minutes behind Bibby, so if you're looking for an impact guy to bring in, he'd have to be a combo 1/2 like Bobby in order to get the minutes to matter (and of course those minutes would return Mo and Martin to the bench).

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
But there are two ways to go -- either a) just pick up a spare Pg type to have in emergencies/garbaetime and hope that Martin/Evans can actually provide the quality rotation minutes we need; or b) try to find an impact guy like Bobby to actually take his minutes.
I'd go for a). There aren't any Damon Jones caliber guys available right now, what we need is someone to play in an emergency. Someone just good enough to not lose the game for us. A pass-first, non-turnover prone guy with a decent handle. Shooting and/or defense would be a plus, but we can't have everything!

Get well soon Bobby, it's not the same team without you!
~~

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Doug has been playing the point more and more, and doing a pretty good job of it.

I know it makes sense to bring in back-up, but I just shudder to think that doing so might put Kevin or Mo back deep in the rotation.

I'm just going to put my faith in Petrie. It seems to work most of the times, even when I'm scratching my head and trying to figure out why he's done what he's done.
One way to look at it is this: Had Bobby NOT gotten injured how many min would Evans and Martin have seen? I want to see these guysdevelopand stick arround too, but I am not all togehter sure I want to see the Kings in the play offs with out a top nothc gaurd or 3 on the bench. A fresh form rehab Bobby J might be enough, with a well rehersed pair of Martin and Evans right there with him, but we all know how badly injuries, rehabing players and holes in the bench can come back to haunt a team in the play offs. I just don't see GP taking that gamble unless the offerings are jsut not there to sign.

The timing of his return is horrible. He will miss virtually all of the rest of the regular season, then he will be trying to shake the rust off and shoot his way back into form during the play-offs. No offense to Bobby, because I love his heart and his hustle, but when he isn't shooting well, he is not a help, he is a hinderance. Unless he can spend a large portion of that final 8 weeks at least shooting, he's bound to take weeks to get his shot back.

Jackson has wrist surgery, is gone for regular season

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11929460p-12816559c.html

Jackson has wrist surgery, is gone for regular season

The Kings' sixth man is expected to spend 16 weeks on the sideline.

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, January 4, 2005

Bobby Jackson's run of rotten luck landed him in surgery Monday, when the Kings guard underwent a successful procedure to repair a torn ligament in his left wrist.

The NBA's Sixth Man of the Year in 2002-03 is expected to miss the rest of the regular season and possibly part of the playoffs if his rehabilitation goes as scheduled.

Jackson's wrist will be in a cast for eight weeks, followed by eight weeks of gradual rehabilitation, the team said in a statement.

The surgery was performed at UC Davis Medical Center, where Dr. Robert Szabo inserted two pins into a bone to stabilize Jackson's ligament, which he injured Nov. 14 against the Denver Nuggets. He hasn't played since aggravating the injury Dec. 21 against the Washington Wizards.

This is the third consecutive season in which Jackson has suffered a significant injury. In 2002-03, he missed 21 games because of a broken left hand. Last season, he missed 28 of the final 29 regular-season games and the playoffs because of a strained abdominal muscle.

Kings President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie said Jackson's roster spot will be filled by another backcourt player with point-guard skills. "We miss Bobby, but we're going to do the best we can without him," said first-round draft pick Kevin Martin, who has absorbed some of Jackson's minutes.

Kings don't really need a point guard. Petrie has said they need someone with point guard skills. Basically, they need someone who has the ability to bring the ball up past half court if need be. Bibby, Christie, Martin and Evans can do an adequate job of doing this and I think they all can defend other point guards(except Bibby :D ).

They could use another shooter to give spot minutes and I think Alexander could fit the bill. He can light it up really quick and I think once he heals from his injuries the Kings might pick him up. They might sign a "true" point guard just to push Bibby in practice.

Doug for backup PG

Doug Christie can be a very effective point guard, towering over most of the field, and just as fast or faster at the dribble and in passing. Also very smart.

I'd say we probably should give up on Bobby for the playoff season, play the heck out of Kevin and Mo and look for one more swingman to deal with inevitable further injury. If we could count on no more injuries, we would not really need any more players on the bench.

One other name is Omar Cook. He's leading the NBDL in assists at about 7 a game and is also pouring in about 13 points. Not a great shooter but is a point guard and a very good defensive player(almost 3 steals a game). I still think they bring back Minard who's pretty much tearing up the NBDL.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ryle said:
Kings don't really need a point guard. Petrie has said they need someone with point guard skills. Basically, they need someone who has the ability to bring the ball up past half court if need be. Bibby, Christie, Martin and Evans can do an adequate job of doing this and I think they all can defend other point guards(except Bibby :D ).

They could use another shooter to give spot minutes and I think Alexander could fit the bill. He can light it up really quick and I think once he heals from his injuries the Kings might pick him up. They might sign a "true" point guard just to push Bibby in practice.
Typical Bulldog hommer ;)

Bricklayer

Doug has PG skills. Unfortuantely Doug is our starting OG, and none of our other guards have any PG in them at all.

We've twisted through a few games now, and can go a few more to find the right guy. But even if you ignore the inevitable foul trouble/injury sorts of questions, at some point teams are going to start taking advantage of our lack of true ballhandlers, and start pressing and trapping (or at least I certainly would). We can try to ride Bibby rihgt into the ground minute-wise to make up for that, but if he's not fresh for the playoffs won't matter anyway.

We need a guy capable of bringing the ball up the court against heated pressure for maybe 8-10 minutes a game. Doesn't mean he always has to play, but we do need him there just to discourage pressure tactics. I do NOT want to see us trying to break a press with a couple of rookie OGs in the backcourt.

As for Alexander...eh...not sure where i am on that right now. He's a gifted scorer, and in some ways he'd be great to have as sooner or later we're going to feel Bobby's absence there. But his arrival would be quite likely to spell the end of minutes for Mo and Martin, and I've liked what I've seen from them. Seems like we may have other more pressing needs right now.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think a few decnt PG's will either shake out before contacts are locked, or that NO, Atlanta orsome ofthe other teams looking to rebuild might let some tallent go for picks, but honeslty playing DC and BIbby at the point game in game out is not the answer, besides Bricks good point on wear and tear and targeting them for presuer, it also means a practice squad with no pg. Personly I'd like to see Bibby having to face avery tough defender in practice as mcuh as I would like to see another scorer on the floor. Again I am not necessarly bringing up Stockton beceause I seriously expect him to lace up and join the kings, but this is the TYPE of player that could make a difference. A pass first PG with experience and a tough defender who can take big min if necessary but wont grumble siting while the kids get court time. Not sure who else matches part or all of that description, but that is what the team needs.

Can someboy clear this up? I keep reading on things like ESPN News and Sportscenter that Bobby Jackson is out for the season... I thought he would return a few games before playoffs. Is he gonna be out for playoffs too?

Read through the thread... The articles mention 16 weeks of recovery, which would be April 25th. The Kings last regular season game is April 20th. So if he followed the estimated recovery schedule exactly, he'd be back in time for the middle of the first round of the playoffs. You never know if he will heal more or less quickly than the estimates, though.

This really sucks..at least he can still do some shooting drills since its not on his shooting hand, so he wont be completely rusty when (or if) he returns.

Although Im glad Evans and Martin are getting time to develop, we still need to sign a backup PG. Doesnt have to be anyone special, just a ballhandler who can get the ball up the court and not make turnovers.

Bricklayer

I'm not at all sure he's got anything left, but Rod Strickland is still out there. Think he's got a history with Geoff, Rick and Webb, although that might not be a good thing given Strickland's rep. Might have helped get Geoof and Rick fired and I think Webb picked him as an unfortunate role model in Washington.