Justin Williams

Any questions?

Maybe this is too early, I didn't see the game and am only going by the boxscore and what you guys are saying. It seems to me that this is almost a breakout game for him. In his first game getting over 20 mins he gets 8, 13, 1, 1 and 1. Including 2 of 2 from the line! That's a very nice line for someone who rarely plays!

I think Justin is deserving!

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Harumpf...

Sorry but the "any questions" thing just doesn't seem to be appropriate for anyone on a team with a record of 30-44...

Really.

OK, I just thought it would be nice to talk about one of the bright spots of our team, someone that could be a valuable player in the future who had a nice game.

I'll know for again. Sorry.

Shouldn't apologize... I agree with you... Justin had a great game and effort tonight and should be recognized for it regardless of how crappy the team is doing this season. He finally got PT and showed what he could do.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
13 rebounds in 23 minutes? Plus a block and a steal and efficient scoring? I bet someone's embarassed they didn't figure this out a little sooner. Perhaps the same someone who's going to be out of a job soon. (One can hope) It's not like KT and Shareef (or even Brad) were doing much to justify playing all those minutes -- other than taking up a huge chunk of our payroll.

Last edited:
Worst case: Justin is playing like yesterday the rest of the saison and a other team offers him more then the maloofs will do in summer ;(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Petrie is the one who brought Justin here in the first place, sent him down to the NBDL to get some experience and then brought him back. I suspect the Kings will keep him around...

Petrie is the one who brought Justin here in the first place, sent him down to the NBDL to get some experience and then brought him back. I suspect the Kings will keep him around...
I would make a minor correction...

GP brought Justin along with Pooh and Louis, and they were all said to be practice players. At the start of the season, he let them all go. He didn't keep anyone on contract, he didn't send anyone to our DL team (Bakersfield).

Justin was then picked #5 in the DL draft, and became the leading blocker and rebounder in the league, playing for Dakota, the team affiliated with the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards.

We were very lucky to get him back, hence my email to the Kings (mentioned at the end of the game thread). I really hope they keep him.

S

scoot2er

Hi, I figured Justin Williams is a worthy topic for my first post here. Long time lurker, first time poster, (I like reading this forum while at work:D).

Justin amazes me, his energy makes him exciting to watch. like some wonderfully fascinating hyper alien. Or maybe I'm just shocked by seeing a King play consistent post defense.

I also sent an e-mail to the kings. I implored them to resign Williams and Williamson. Maybe Corliss can work to improve Justin's offense in the offseason.

Harumpf...

Sorry but the "any questions" thing just doesn't seem to be appropriate for anyone on a team with a record of 30-44...

Really.
I do not post much but read the board every day, you my be frustrated with the Kings, VF, but the kid had a good game. We are all just looking for bright spots to make the off-season a little easier. Maybe the use of "any questions" was not needed, but cut the person some slake, he, like most of us here, enjoyed watching Justin have a great game.

It made the glass half full for the night.

Really.

Glad to see he did some positive things last night. For some reason I could only remember him botching two layups and knocking a rebound out of bounds (with Francisco's help) and looking generally awfully green.

Which is obviously totally fine since he's a rookie. :) Hopefully he gets a lot of minutes the rest of the season and improves his game a lot over the summer..

just fire this coach and bring in someone else. williams has been our best rebounder since putting on a kings uni coming back from the d-leauge.

Glad to see he did some positive things last night. For some reason I could only remember him botching two layups and knocking a rebound out of bounds (with Francisco's help) and looking generally awfully green.

Which is obviously totally fine since he's a rookie. :) Hopefully he gets a lot of minutes the rest of the season and improves his game a lot over the summer..
This is the type of young guy I'd love to see get extended minutes the rest of the season. He could wind up being a key part of the team in the future. We all know what Kenny and Shareef are going to be doing for us ... nothing. Let Justin Williams play his way into some NBA experience, and it would pay some serious dividends for us going into next season.

Good stats in limited minutes...

The thing that really stands out is that he did it against a team with good big men. I think this kid will be solid next year.

Good stats in limited minutes...

The thing that really stands out is that he did it against a team with good big men. I think this kid will be solid next year.
Yeah... so far we could look at his being in the top 5 in the NBA for rebounds per 48 as a bench thing. He never had a chance to get tired, maybe he was playing against weak opponents.

23 minutes of playing against Camby and Nene with similar stats does a lot of damage to the idea that he can only do it during garbage time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I do not post much but read the board every day, you my be frustrated with the Kings, VF, but the kid had a good game. We are all just looking for bright spots to make the off-season a little easier. Maybe the use of "any questions" was not needed, but cut the person some slake, he, like most of us here, enjoyed watching Justin have a great game.

It made the glass half full for the night.

Really.
You're right.

I was excited about Justin, too, and very glad to see him finally get some decent minutes. I've liked him all along. I guess I was overly proprietary about the "any questions" portion.

Mea culpa.

One thing no one's mentioned yet is the fact that Williams, being a rookie, got some rookie calls against him. There were a few plays at the basket where Williams clearly had all ball against Nene, but was called for a foul since the refs didn't know he existed before tipoff. Once Williams earns more respect and credibility as a good defensive player, his impact in the paint will skyrocket.

piksi

Hall of Famer
One thing no one's mentioned yet is the fact that Williams, being a rookie, got some rookie calls against him. There were a few plays at the basket where Williams clearly had all ball against Nene, but was called for a foul since the refs didn't know he existed before tipoff. Once Williams earns more respect and credibility as a good defensive player, his impact in the paint will skyrocket.

it was mentioned in the game thread during the game on several occasions.

I have no illusions about Williams ever being a star, but I absolutely believe he's better than Kenny Thomas. The guy is going to go out and bang the boards, block some shots and clean up garbage around the hoop. That's it, and that's great. That's exactly what this team has needed for several years.

The Kings seem to believe that everyone on the floor has to be "versatile." Versatility is fine, but sometimes you need a guy that does a few things really well. Contrary to the belief of the Kings front office and/or coaching staff, not everyone on the floor needs to be a jump shooter.

Yes he did play VERY well for only 23min and I'm happy for how productive he was..

BUT..

He did ALSO have 5 personal fouls :(... he's a little foul prone- which he can improve on...

but other than that.. Good line! :D

OK, I just thought it would be nice to talk about one of the bright spots of our team, someone that could be a valuable player in the future who had a nice game.

I'll know for again. Sorry.

No apology needed! I just saw the box score and only taped the 2nd 1/2, but I'm watching to not only see AI and Anthony, but also JWill2, the Chi-town kid who is beating the odds of being an undrafted free agent and looking to have a bright future. I'm advocating that he be our starting PF for the rest of the season. He deserves it, not only for his rebounding and shot blocking abilities, but also for his energy and hunger...that hunger is missing from our starters and they realize that we aren't contenders.

I really think for the rest of the year our starting line up should be:

Price/Douby
KMart/Douby/Cisco
Cisco/Salmons
Williams/SAR
SAR/Miller/Potapenko (Make Pot earn his $ at least :p )

I like what I see in Price, Cisco, KMart, and Williams...let's keep the rebuilding theme and kick it into high gear with unloading Bibby in the offseason, maybe also Miller. I think we should keep Artest, his contract is small ($ wise & length) and he doesn't really have a equal if he has his head in the game. His defense has rubbed off on Price and Cisco and probably others, but especially Cisco. He is turning into quite a defensive presence and a real hustler...could be our Chsristie in years to come. ;)

Yeah... so far we could look at his being in the top 5 in the NBA for rebounds per 48 as a bench thing. He never had a chance to get tired, maybe he was playing against weak opponents.

23 minutes of playing against Camby and Nene with similar stats does a lot of damage to the idea that he can only do it during garbage time.
Exactly, stats can lie when only looking at small minutes here and there, but to play over 20 minutes against Camby and Nene is quite revealing. I'm really looking forward to watching the game tonnight when I get home, I'm just upset I missed the 1st 1/2. Did Justin play mostly in the 2nd 1/2? I hope I can see him. I really like this kid, on our team he will be our superstart defender big and not bad against others too. We are so weak you really can go in 1 direction and it's nice seeing the young undrafted kid show the rest of the NBA what they missed out on by not drafting him! Same goes for KMart going to us with the 26th pick, it was a strong draft in 03', but KMart has really showing flashes of brilliance! :D

Yes he did play VERY well for only 23min and I'm happy for how productive he was..

BUT..

He did ALSO have 5 personal fouls :(... he's a little foul prone- which he can improve on...

but other than that.. Good line! :D
Maybe that's a good thing that he had 5 fouls! That means that someone on this team is actually using his fouls...Most of our guys just let other teams drive through the lane for layups without even touching them, hence not using any of their fouls.