Julius Randle

Entity

Hall of Famer
Julius Randle just declines his player option of 9mil per year. Is there still a contingent that thinks he would be a good fit here or should we have no interest?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he's looking to get paid and as much as I would love to have him here, I don't think the Kings have much interest. They are looking for a center.

he's looking to get paid and as much as I would love to have him here, I don't think the Kings have much interest. They are looking for a center.
While I agree, it is worth noting than under Luke Walton, Randle was used as a C a lot more so while its unlikely, it is not as far fetched as people believe.

I still say we will go after a 2-3 year deal on someone like DAJ and spend the rest of the money on other positions (e.g. back up PG and SF). We are obviously backing in Bagley and Giles as the long term solutions at PF and C but they are not quite there yet for the nightly grind so we will go with an experienced veteran to come in, do their job for 203 season while the Duke duo take their games to the next level. Over the 2-3 years you are likely to see the said C having his minutes and role decreasing from year to year as the two youngsters start taking ownership of the positions.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
While I agree, it is worth noting than under Luke Walton, Randle was used as a C a lot more so while its unlikely, it is not as far fetched as people believe.

I still say we will go after a 2-3 year deal on someone like DAJ and spend the rest of the money on other positions (e.g. back up PG and SF). We are obviously backing in Bagley and Giles as the long term solutions at PF and C but they are not quite there yet for the nightly grind so we will go with an experienced veteran to come in, do their job for 203 season while the Duke duo take their games to the next level. Over the 2-3 years you are likely to see the said C having his minutes and role decreasing from year to year as the two youngsters start taking ownership of the positions.
signing DeAndre would be a lateral move in my opinion, he, like Willie would provide no floor spacing. Sure, he rebounds better and will give you more blocks but he can't guard the perimeter like Willie so I think the Kings should go another route.

signing DeAndre would be a lateral move in my opinion, he, like Willie would provide no floor spacing. Sure, he rebounds better and will give you more blocks but he can't guard the perimeter like Willie so I think the Kings should go another route.
Its all a matter of opinion and what the team views as more of a pressing need from the C (i.e. perimeter D and spacing Vs Rebounding and rim protection)

Fact is you are not going to get a player that will do all of it (space the floor, rebound, defend on perimeter and provide rim protection). I think one of those guys just got traded to Lakers and I think he might be the only player in the NBA that can do all of those 4 things. Those players are pretty rare.

Yes I've been pro randle since i started this thread thats coincidentally still on Page 1 of this forum. is he a unicorn well no but he's talent that we are in no position to turn our nose up too. He goes hard and IMO hes just as much of a C as anyone in this era.

I'm warming up to him.
I think I like Randles fit with the team better then someone like Tobias Harris.

I've got faith in Marvin.
He's a sponge, hes gonna put on major muscle and gain defensive experience.
When that happens, his fit with Randle looks solid.

They have a good ying and yang effect, ones a ground bound punisher and the other soars the skys. Both can splash in threes . Rebound. And Randle brings that extra passing that our starting 5 lacks.

Also, Julius gets to the line 7 times a game, Bagley will probably be close to that next year.

imagine the foul trouble opposing bigs would get into. It would be a nightmare for them.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yes I've been pro randle since i started this thread thats coincidentally still on Page 1 of this forum. is he a unicorn well no but he's talent that we are in no position to turn our nose up too. He goes hard and IMO hes just as much of a C as anyone in this era.
I think he gives exactly what Vucevic gives and may come with a smaller contract. V got 20pts on 17 attempts. Randle got 21 on 15 attempts.

You realize Randle average the same assist per game as Vuc right?
I will admit, this (and Randle's shooting numbers) caught me by surprise.

That said, there's a significant difference on the defensive end. Vucevic held opponents at the rim to a 56.2 shooting percentage last year, a better mark than Drummond, Dedmon, Horford, and Capela, among other notable names. Randle allowed 64.7 at the rim, which, as the Ringer points out today (link), puts him 40th out of 48 bigs to defend at least four attempts at the rim per game. If the Kings supposedly see Bagley as a PF and not a C, I don't see them going after Randle, who also is more of a PF than a C, especially on the defensive end.

I will admit, this (and Randle's shooting numbers) caught me by surprise.

That said, there's a significant difference on the defensive end. Vucevic held opponents at the rim to a 56.2 shooting percentage last year, a better mark than Drummond, Dedmon, Horford, and Capela, among other notable names. Randle allowed 64.7 at the rim, which, as the Ringer points out today (link), puts him 40th out of 48 bigs to defend at least four attempts at the rim per game. If the Kings supposedly see Bagley as a PF and not a C, I don't see them going after Randle, who also is more of a PF than a C, especially on the defensive end.
Randle gets assists at about a 1:1 ratio. Vuc has close to a 2:1 ratio. For comparison, Horford, Jokic and Draymond all hover around 2.5:1 and those are the elite big men passers.

Having Randle try and be an assist man is about the same as WCS taking mid range jumpers. It's just poor basketball.

I've been harping for a while on how awful the defense would be with Randle. I mean it wouldn't be that great with Vuc but it would be worlds better than if you paired Randle and Bagley. I think the season would be wasted before it even started if the plan was to paired those guys together. Easily the worst interior defense in the game.