JPlayer Updates:

Watched the game, and don't disagree with anything you posted. Cauley Stein was terrific, and on both ends of the floor. Kentucky's length up front was too much for Texas, who usually has that advantage over other teams. Always interesting to see how a team reacts when faced with opposition that's different from what they usually face. Wasn't one of Towns better games, but one game does not a season make. He still needs to get rid of some of his baby fat and add some muscle. On the Harrisons, maybe the best thing that could happen is for them to be split up. Andrew looks the most ready, so your scenario of him declaring and his brother staying might be the best thing for both of them. I'll be surprised if that happens, and if not, then the Suns should draft both of them since they seem to love brothers.

Right now, it I could just hand pick the player I wanted for the Kings, without being greedy, I would take Cauley Stein. He would be the perfect fit next to Cousins, unless the team is totally sold on the stretch four concept. Even then, he could be our backup center, and play along side Cousins when defense is a priority in the game. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the stretch four idea. I understand it, and at times there's a place for it, but in the grand scheme of things, just give me blue collar, down and dirty, grind it out, execute in the half court players. In a seven game series, that's the kind of team that wins.

I also watched the Florida/Kansas game. More on that later. Today, UCONN/St. Johns should be a good match up, and Gonzaga/Arizona is the other muxt see of the day. Both on national TV. Side note on Kentucky. Besides beging ranked as one of the top defensive teams in college, they're number three in offensive execution. That's a hard combination to beat.
You watched Duke - Wisconsin or some other ESPN broadcast, I assume? :p
Harrisons seem inseparable at the moment. I remember some buzz after FF, that Aaron would've been drafted in 20s, while Andrew was going to fall, if declared, so they both returned. This year it might be similar situation, only with reverse roles.
Getting back to Duke @ Wisconsin, Traevon Jackson (Jimmy Jackson's son) had a very good game. He's so shifty with the ball, and with his strength he should be able to get to the hole in the NBA. Pretty good decision maker, and so far he's shooting in-between shots very well, so he doesn't have to go all the way to score. Small sample size, but he barely missed any FT this season. Among all the guys, who could potentially become a backup PG, I mentioned so far, I like Jackson the most given his combination of handles, quickness, strength and shooting.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think I watched the game on the SEC network. Not sure, but yeah, Jackson had a good game. Dekker struggled against Duke's defense, and without him scoring, it puts too much of a load on the rest of the team. I thought Wisconsin would win the game since it was on their court, and they had a more experienced team. Duke is starting three freshman. Got to give Duke credit. They had Wisconsin confused with their switching defense the entire game, and yet they were able to break down Wisconsin's defense, and Wisconsin is a very good defensive team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think I watched the game on the SEC network. Not sure, but yeah, Jackson had a good game. Dekker struggled against Duke's defense, and without him scoring, it puts too much of a load on the rest of the team. I thought Wisconsin would win the game since it was on their court, and they had a more experienced team. Duke is starting three freshman. Got to give Duke credit. They had Wisconsin confused with their switching defense the entire game, and yet they were able to break down Wisconsin's defense, and Wisconsin is a very good defensive team.
Edit: Ahhhh, I hit the expand button and now I know what your reference is. Yeah, I was quoting Bilas, and if he was on ESPN, then I guess that's where I got the info. I record so many games on two different DVR's and two different satellites, so I don't know what network I'm recording on half the time. Right now I have about 15 games recorded that I haven't watched yet. My wife gets a little sick of it so I try to watch most of them after she goes to bed. Then those Damm Kings games interfere..:D

Duke has 3 very savvy freshmen. Tyus Jones is probably a fifth year senior.

You watched Duke - Wisconsin or some other ESPN broadcast, I assume? :p
Harrisons seem inseparable at the moment. I remember some buzz after FF, that Aaron would've been drafted in 20s, while Andrew was going to fall, if declared, so they both returned. This year it might be similar situation, only with reverse roles.
Getting back to Duke @ Wisconsin, Traevon Jackson (Jimmy Jackson's son) had a very good game. He's so shifty with the ball, and with his strength he should be able to get to the hole in the NBA. Pretty good decision maker, and so far he's shooting in-between shots very well, so he doesn't have to go all the way to score. Small sample size, but he barely missed any FT this season. Among all the guys, who could potentially become a backup PG, I mentioned so far, I like Jackson the most given his combination of handles, quickness, strength and shooting.
I don't like the Harrison twins. It's really difficult to evaluate them because of the Calipari's system. You don't get the sense of their strengths.

If you draft Andrew, you don't really know what you're getting out of him. He's a PG, yet he's not a play maker nor a scorer. He doesn't have a real jumpshot and is a poor finisher at the rim. On top of that, you have to question his ceiling. He can improve, but to what extent? He doesn't have natural passing skills nor a good offensive skill set. His athleticism is average at best. However, I think he has a nice defensive potential because of his size. He's been a lot better this year than I thought he would, but I think he's a player with a lot of question marks around his game.

The same things could be said for his brother. Last year Aaron proved he could be a scorer with the ability of knocking down big time shots. However, his shooting was really inconsistent and he didn't have a strong skill set aside from scoring. This year, he hasn't done a lot to help his case. He's regressed in different ways and he's been even more inconsistent. I think he will have a more defined role than Andrew in the NBA, but there's a ton of question marks around his game. His ceiling is not very high.

If they did not play for Kentucky, they would be 2nd-late round players, and that's the harsh reality to it. I personally would not draft either player in the 1st or early 2nd.

Massive improvement in Andrew Harrison's efficiency shows, that right now he's in a perfect position to perform: a lead guard, but is not relied on to create most of the offense. Sort of a game manager, who can patiently look for openings to the basket and make open perimeter shots. That's certainly a low-key starter/solid backup, which is worth a first-rounder in 20s for sure. For more he will need to learn deliberate penetration game of guys like Billups or Roy, Harrison certainly has handles and body for that. Andrew is actually finishing at .786 from under the basket with only fifth of those shots assisted, up from .491 last season, because he completely removed forced drives from his offensive arsenal. His mid-range game is non-existent, while third of his attempts come from there, so can improve his shot selection even further.

There were several eye popping players from today's games. Two rookies that come in mind are Melo Trimble and D'Angelo Russell.
I am very impressed with Melo Trimble. He's a great scorer from anywhere on the floor. He is very physical and isn't afraid to shy away from contact. He's attempted 7.8pg and has made a .881% of them. I know it's early, but he can be a lights out shooter. Most of his pts do come from the foul line, but he's been hitting a lot of his shots. Currently averaging 16.5ppg.
D'Angelo Russell is a good combo guard. He'll most likely be a lotto pick, but his skill set is very nice. He is a flat out scorer, but is also a good playmaker. My main problem with him is that he likes to take a lot of shots. Currently averaging 17.8ppg and 5.5apg.

The most impressive player today for me was probably Justin Anderson. 6-6 G/F 227lbs. Shooting .567% 3pt and a TS% of 65%. 15pts 4.5rebs 1.8asts.
He's a huge guard with a ton of athleticism. He has started this year very hot and improved from his 2 previous seasons. I think he would be a great explosive role player on any NBA team. He reminds me a little bit of Draymond Green when he plays as a SF.

Massive improvement in Andrew Harrison's efficiency shows, that right now he's in a perfect position to perform: a lead guard, but is not relied on to create most of the offense. Sort of a game manager, who can patiently look for openings to the basket and make open perimeter shots. That's certainly a low-key starter/solid backup, which is worth a first-rounder in 20s for sure. For more he will need to learn deliberate penetration game of guys like Billups or Roy, Harrison certainly has handles and body for that. Andrew is actually finishing at .786 from under the basket with only fifth of those shots assisted, up from .491 last season, because he completely removed forced drives from his offensive arsenal. His mid-range game is non-existent, while third of his attempts come from there, so can improve his shot selection even further.
I disagree with you there.
Sort of a game manager, who can patiently look for openings to the basket and make open perimeter shots. That's certainly a low-key starter/solid backup, which is worth a first-rounder in 20s for sure
He's that type of player in college, but what will he be in the NBA? He doesn't dominate a lot in college, and I find myself questioning his potential in the NBA. Most of the current guys who are those game manager were standout PGs in college coming into the NBA with a defined skill set. Andrew doesn't necessarily have one, but part of that comes from the system he plays in. Even with that, his ceiling is limited and I've read somewhere on here, someone even said that the reason why he would be drafted in the 1st round is because of his NBA readiness and feel for the game.

I personally don't think his mediocre play is worth a 1st round pick, but since he does play for Kentucky, that speaks for itself. Most of the times, teams don't draft a low ceiling player who isn't at least dominate.

There were several eye popping players from today's games. Two rookies that come in mind are Melo Trimble and D'Angelo Russell.
I am very impressed with Melo Trimble. He's a great scorer from anywhere on the floor. He is very physical and isn't afraid to shy away from contact. He's attempted 7.8pg and has made a .881% of them. I know it's early, but he can be a lights out shooter. Most of his pts do come from the foul line, but he's been hitting a lot of his shots. Currently averaging 16.5ppg.
D'Angelo Russell is a good combo guard. He'll most likely be a lotto pick, but his skill set is very nice. He is a flat out scorer, but is also a good playmaker. My main problem with him is that he likes to take a lot of shots. Currently averaging 17.8ppg and 5.5apg.

The most impressive player today for me was probably Justin Anderson. 6-6 G/F 227lbs. Shooting .567% 3pt and a TS% of 65%. 15pts 4.5rebs 1.8asts.
He's a huge guard with a ton of athleticism. He has started this year very hot and improved from his 2 previous seasons. I think he would be a great explosive role player on any NBA team. He reminds me a little bit of Draymond Green when he plays as a SF.
Trimble took full advantage of Dez Wells injury. Got good handles and shooting touch. Don't think he has good vision, but he can certainly get to the paint.
Russell's future is at PG. He looks a bit too much for his iwn most of the time and force quite a few shots, but he usually finds open teammates. Has great confidence, though still needs to learn, what bad shot is.
Had to look, who Justin Anderson is. :) Judging by early results, he really worked on his body and shot this off-season, and looks nice overall statistically. Second reason to finally watch Virginia-Maryland game.
As for Andrew Harrison transitioning from total spazz to patient game manager in one offseason is huge improvement, and shows ability to listen to and respond to coach. And 15p+7a(2.6 A/TO ratio)+2.5s per 40 are solid numbers for sophomore PG.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I disagree with you there. He's that type of player in college, but what will he be in the NBA? He doesn't dominate a lot in college, and I find myself questioning his potential in the NBA. Most of the current guys who are those game manager were standout PGs in college coming into the NBA with a defined skill set. Andrew doesn't necessarily have one, but part of that comes from the system he plays in. Even with that, his ceiling is limited and I've read somewhere on here, someone even said that the reason why he would be drafted in the 1st round is because of his NBA readiness and feel for the game.

I personally don't think his mediocre play is worth a 1st round pick, but since he does play for Kentucky, that speaks for itself. Most of the times, teams don't draft a low ceiling player who isn't at least dominate.
When looking at Kentucky players, you always have to take Calapari's system into account. What you see in a player in many cases, is just the tip of the iceberg. If all you knew about Cousins coming out of college was what he did in his one year at Kentucky, you'd never know he had a 18 foot jumpshot, or that he could put the ball on the floor from out there. Calapari restricts his players according to what he thinks the team needs, and if you stray from that, your on the bench so fast your head is spinning. If you watch enough Kentucky basketball, I think you'll find that seldom does one player dominate game after game, unless he's so far superior to everyone else, and is capable of doing what no one else on the team can do. Anthony Davis springs to mind. Even Cousins wasn't a totally dominate player at Kentucky, but you could see the potential there.

Calipari system is all about sharing the ball and not caring who scores. Not unusual for a player to score 20 points one night, and then 6 points the next, while someone else carries the load. The only way to judge a Kentucky player is watch a ton of games. Somewhere along the way, you'll get glimpses of what the player is capable of. I've already seen Kentucky play seven times this season and by season's end, I'll have probably watched them play around 25 times. Cauley Stein was absolutely terrific in his game against Texas. Next game, who knows? But in that one game, you could see his potential. Of course I already knew since I've been following him for the last three years. But you see my point.

A Kentucky player that I think is going to be a better NBA player than he is a college player is Alex Poythress. Calapari uses him as a utility player for the most part. He's the blue collar guy. He cleans up the glass, sets screens and does any dirty work that needs done. But if you watch him play game after game, you can see that he's a lot more talented that what your seeing. Someone will draft him in the second round, and get a very good basketball player.

I will toot WCS's horn until he finally decides to enter the NBA. I've been on that bandwagon for three seasons now, but this whole Kentucky team is impressive. Seriously, they might have 10 NBA players on their roster.

To echo what Baja said, Poythress is a guy who hasn't (and probably won't) live up to the hype he had as a freshman, but you can see how and why he's going to be a solid pro. I'm not sure where scouts stand on Dakari Johnson, but he's another guy who I can just see where he fits on an NBA roster. He's probably the least exciting Kentucky guy right now, but he's a good, solid player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The jury is still out on Anderson for me. His first two years at Virginia he was absolutely horrible from the three, and not very good overall, shooting about 41% his freshman and sophmore years combined, and just under 30% from the three. This year, he's shooting lights out. As much as I'm impressed with his performance so far, I have to wait and see if its for real or not. I like D'Angelo Russell quite a bit. I think he would be best served to stay another year in college, but then I could say that about a lot of players. I will admit that I'm concentrating more on big men than Iám guards, since that happens to be more of a need for the Kings.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I will toot WCS's horn until he finally decides to enter the NBA. I've been on that bandwagon for three seasons now, but this whole Kentucky team is impressive. Seriously, they might have 10 NBA players on their roster.

To echo what Baja said, Poythress is a guy who hasn't (and probably won't) live up to the hype he had as a freshman, but you can see how and why he's going to be a solid pro. I'm not sure where scouts stand on Dakari Johnson, but he's another guy who I can just see where he fits on an NBA roster. He's probably the least exciting Kentucky guy right now, but he's a good, solid player.
Johnson has made some nice improvements from last season. Basically a post player only at the moment, but since there's a shortage of those in the NBA, I'm sure some team will find a place for him. He's another guy that would be best served by staying one more year at Kentucky, especially with this coming draft being loaded with bigs. You know how I feel about Cauley Stein. If we could only be so lucky.

Anderson is very quick and long, though big part of his huge wingspan are really wide shoulders. Along with Stanimal he's another Artest-like guy this season. If shooting is for real, he's a very good prospect. Handles are lacking a bit, and his defensive fundamentals need a lot of work, but amount of the ground he can cover in a moment is amazing, while he's also explosive vertically. He could probably drop a few pounds from his upper body to become more agile. Anyway while his numbers pretty impressive, they actually don't tell the whole tale: Virginia's games are severly lacking in pace, and according to college offspring of basketball-reference Anderson leads all draft prospects in scoring per 100 possessions, just a smidge ahead of Georgia State's RJ Hunter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anderson is very quick and long, though big part of his huge wingspan are really wide shoulders. Along with Stanimal he's another Artest-like guy this season. If shooting is for real, he's a very good prospect. Handles are lacking a bit, and his defensive fundamentals need a lot of work, but amount of the ground he can cover in a moment is amazing, while he's also explosive vertically. He could probably drop a few pounds from his upper body to become more agile. Anyway while his numbers pretty impressive, they actually don't tell the whole tale: Virginia's games are severly lacking in pace, and according to college offspring of basketball-reference Anderson leads all draft prospects in scoring per 100 possessions, just a smidge ahead of Georgia State's RJ Hunter.
I agree with your analysis. Either way, Anderson is a good prospect, but the key is his shooting. If, as you said, he's for real, then he falls into an entirely different catagory. That said, I'm going to take a wait and see attitude with him. Someone needs to do some research on how may times a player that makes a dramatic improvement in his shooting ends up being the real deal, or how many times they revert back to their former self. I've been burned a few times.

I agree with your analysis. Either way, Anderson is a good prospect, but the key is his shooting. If, as you said, he's for real, then he falls into an entirely different catagory. That said, I'm going to take a wait and see attitude with him. Someone needs to do some research on how may times a player that makes a dramatic improvement in his shooting ends up being the real deal, or how many times they revert back to their former self. I've been burned a few times.
Hey, how do you feel about Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk? 17yearold Kansas player from Ukraine. I'd love for the Kings to somehow get their hands on this player whenever he declares for the draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hey, how do you feel about Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk? 17yearold Kansas player from Ukraine. I'd love for the Kings to somehow get their hands on this player whenever he declares for the draft.
I've seen him play three times this year so far. He struggled against Kentucky, but he didn't have the size advantage against them that he does other teams. I'm not quite sure what he is yet, and for that reason, I hope he stays in college another year. I thought he played fairly well against Tennessee and Michigan St. At guard he has a size advantage in most instances, but I'd like to see how he fares at SF. He does break one of my drafting rules for the Kings. I never want to draft a player whose name I can't spell or pronounce. :rolleyes:

Since the last time we doubted Justin Anderson's shooting he went 7-10 from downtown in 3 games, averaging close to .600 from 3 on the season. That's not your .600 on 0.9 3-point attempt per game from DWill, Anderson is also shooting above .800 from FT line, while Williams never had above .750FT%.

Since the last time we doubted Justin Anderson's shooting he went 7-10 from downtown in 3 games, averaging close to .600 from 3 on the season. That's not your .600 on 0.9 3-point attempt per game from DWill, Anderson is also shooting above .800 from FT line, while Williams never had above .750FT%.
He screams Draymond Green! Except a SF Draymond Green.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
A Kentucky player that I think is going to be a better NBA player than he is a college player is Alex Poythress. Calapari uses him as a utility player for the most part. He's the blue collar guy. He cleans up the glass, sets screens and does any dirty work that needs done. But if you watch him play game after game, you can see that he's a lot more talented that what your seeing. Someone will draft him in the second round, and get a very good basketball player.
I'm on board with that. I really like Poythress for the pros. Like you say, his game is going to shine in the pros, whereas in college you have to look some to see what he can do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm on board with that. I really like Poythress for the pros. Like you say, his game is going to shine in the pros, whereas in college you have to look some to see what he can do.
Damm shame he got injured. Another kid that's starting to emerge on the Kentucky team is Devin Booker. He tends to run very hot, or very cold, and fortunately for Kentucky, he's hot more than he's cold, which is reflected in his shooting percentages. He's averaging 18 mpg, 10 ppg, 48.1% fgp, 45.8% 3pp, and 80.0% ftp. He has good size at 6'6" for the SG position. He's a decent, but not a great athlete. By all accounts, he's a hard worker. I hate to overuse something, but he reminds me a bit of Klay Thompson at the same point in time.

Damm shame he got injured. Another kid that's starting to emerge on the Kentucky team is Devin Booker. He tends to run very hot, or very cold, and fortunately for Kentucky, he's hot more than he's cold, which is reflected in his shooting percentages. He's averaging 18 mpg, 10 ppg, 48.1% fgp, 45.8% 3pp, and 80.0% ftp. He has good size at 6'6" for the SG position. He's a decent, but not a great athlete. By all accounts, he's a hard worker. I hate to overuse something, but he reminds me a bit of Klay Thompson at the same point in time.
Outplaying someone... On Kentucky right now...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Got another good look at Chris McCullough the other night. He's a good athlete that defensively is a pretty good rim protector. He struggles at times when the zone gets broken down, but that's to be expected with a freshman. He obviously needs to get stronger. Offensively he needs a lot of work. He's basically a put back guy at the moment. Hopefully he stays in school at least another year.

Another player that's been struggling of late is Myles Turner. He started out feasting on lesser division schools, and then Texas ran into UCONN and Kentucky with its NBA size front court players. The result wasn't pretty. Turner really struggled in those games. That was the beginning of Texas tougher schedule, and since then Turner has looked more like a mid range first round pick instead of a lottery pick. Although his last game was a little better. I still like him and I think he'll adjust. But in the Kentucky game it was obvious that Cauley-Stein was quicker and more athletic than Turner. I realize that's a tough comparison, but it is a good measuring stick.

Ironically Turner is better offensively away from the basket than he is at the basket. He also appears to be a wee bit mechanical at times. I don't want to down play him too much, because he is a skilled player who will get better. It's just that right now, he's really struggling against taller, stronger, more athletic players like Cauley-Stein and Amida Brimah.

A player to keep an eye on long term, is Goodluck Okonoboh of UNLV. He has tremendous potential defensively. Right now he's averaging 3 blocked shots a game, which isn't bad for a freshman. He's a made to order role player and seems to relish the job. He has very good footwork defensively, and doesn't bite on pump fakes. He's very very raw offensively, although he did surpirse me by shooting a 16 foot jumper and hitting it. He runs the floor well, and doesn't mind banging under the basket despite needing to get stronger. For those not familiar with him, he's 6'10"in shoes with around a 7'3"wingspan.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
A player to keep an eye on long term, is Goodluck Okonoboh of UNLV.
Oak Bonobo!

Actually, I watched the Arizona/UNLV game to get a look at Stanley Johnson and Christian Wood. I thought Wood put up about the most disappointing 24 points I'd ever seen. Eric Moreland-type body but he thinks he's a SF. Very underwhelmed by the defense and rebounding. Not sure he boxed out once on the night - so the ten rebounds in the box score were a bit deceiving. He wants to play offense by spotting up outside the three point line then driving to the hoop, but he can't get around centers, he just pushes in a bit and then throws up a turnaround. Last night it went in, but I can't see that working in the NBA.

Didn't put an eye on Okonoboh. He definitely played more of a true post game, at the very least.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Oak Bonobo!

Actually, I watched the Arizona/UNLV game to get a look at Stanley Johnson and Christian Wood. I thought Wood put up about the most disappointing 24 points I'd ever seen. Eric Moreland-type body but he thinks he's a SF. Very underwhelmed by the defense and rebounding. Not sure he boxed out once on the night - so the ten rebounds in the box score were a bit deceiving. He wants to play offense by spotting up outside the three point line then driving to the hoop, but he can't get around centers, he just pushes in a bit and then throws up a turnaround. Last night it went in, but I can't see that working in the NBA.

Didn't put an eye on Okonoboh. He definitely played more of a true post game, at the very least.
Wood, is at the moment, what I call a rebounder of opportunity. Meaning, if the ball bounces his way he gets it. Doesn't rebound out of his area, and doesn't battle for position and block out. Doesn't mean he can't improve, just who he is right now. I love Stanley Johnson.... The kid has star potential.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I love Stanley Johnson.... The kid has star potential.
Very raw kid, but he has lots and lots of tools. He happened to be a turnover machine in the UNLV game. Plays too fast right now, but he's got great athleticism, a great handle, and I think he's going to be a very good shooter on top of that.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I didn't realize until I started watching the smaller college teams but there are a lot more players from Bosnia/Serbia/Croatia playing in college and you don't hear a word from them...not all make it to the pros but it's still interesting that a high amount of them have a chance to play college basketball.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I didn't realize until I started watching the smaller college teams but there are a lot more players from Bosnia/Serbia/Croatia playing in college and you don't hear a word from them...not all make it to the pros but it's still interesting that a high amount of them have a chance to play college basketball.
Gonzaga and St. Mary's has been living off Australian players for the llast 10 years or so. Especially St. Mary's. Gonzaga has Sabonis, who has a famous father, and a 7'1" kid from Poland. But yeah, not that Gonzaga is a small school when it comes to basketball, but a lot of them go for the international players because the Kentucky's and Dukes of the world scoop up all the top US highschoolers

Yogi Ferrell is a player to keep your eye on. He's it-lite. A very good player and scorer. I think Indiana has a few good underrated prospects.

Joshua Smith isn't all that good...he's just a big bodied center like Bhullar who bullies people in the paint because he has 100lbs over them..not impressed.

Last edited: