Jimmer's airball

Though no one would get the call for this, just thought I'd share:

Point: Jimmer doesn't airball; he might miss, but he doesn't airball.

Where the hell did that pic come from?!

That's unbelievable clarity and frame capture, right there.... like smoking gun material.

See, this wouldn't bother me at all if they hadn't of JUST called IT on the cheapy tick on the shooter's elbow the play before....

I would be more impressed if the ball was in his hands. Hitting a guy on the arm after the ball has left his hands is not going to change the shot.

yea sorry that doesn't prove anything its after the ball has left his hands. get a picture of contact with the ball in his hands and its a different story.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hmmm..that shot's a lot more ambiguous to say the least.

I have never liked the foul on the followthrough rule anyway. After the ball has left the fingertips it doesn't effect the shot unless you want to claim the shooter is flinching. Getting hit would explain just how bad that miss was, but of course then again I've seen Peja Stojakovic and Kevin Martin airball clutch jumpers, and they both have proven a lot more than Jimmer as NBA shooters, so who knows. I'd need to see that first angle a half a second earlier to be sure.

Thing is that Jimmer looked like he was maybe pressing to impress the fanbase and was making a lot of dumb decisions that hopefully he doesn't normally. So its possible maybe the pressure got to him on that shot too. Or not. Maybe he was fouled. But given the situation it really could have been either, and I kind of need to see that perfect opponent hand on wrist while ball is still in his hand shot before I declare it an uncalled foul that cost us the game.

Last edited:
Hmmm..that shot's a lot more ambiguous to say the least.

I have never liked the foul on the followthrough rule anyway. After the ball has left the fingertips it doesn't effect the shot unless you want to claim the shooter is flinching. Getting hit would explain just how bad that miss was, but of course then again I've seen Peja Stojakovic and Kevin Martin airball clutch jumpers, and they both have proven a lot more than Jimmer as NBA shooters, so who knows. I'd need to see that first angle a half a second earlier to be sure.
I think they are both from the same camera, shot just a second apart. I don't think Jimmer got fouled on the shot. I thought he rushed it.

To be clear, I am a Jazz fan first and Jimmer fan second so my opinion might be a little bias.

Last edited:
I don't think it was a foul. The ball had left his hand before Watson got him on the arm. 99.9% of the time that does not get called and 100% of the time it does not get called on a rookie!

Jimmer had a clean look and rushed it a bit. Hopefully he learns something from it. I would be confident in saying that 90 times out of 100 he would nail that. Not his fault we lost and he should not be blamed for it. If we had more productive bench this game would have been in the bag earlier.

Odd stat. Jimmer is shooting a higher percentage on threes than he is on twos. That's gotta be a pretty rare occurrence.
Ray Allen is doing that this year also. Steve Kerr did it several times throughout his career. Guys who can shoot and whose main job is spotting up for open 3s will do it sometimes.

Odd stat. Jimmer is shooting a higher percentage on threes than he is on twos. That's gotta be a pretty rare occurrence.
I think he is still trying to figure out what will work going to the basket and what won't work. He had a couple of really nice drives to the basket. One he split the double team and finished at the rim. He also got blocked and looked really small a couple of times. He will learn what will work and what won't, he is getting better at it game by game.

I don't know if he was fouled on the last shot or not. I do believe however that Jimmer has yet to get a call to go his way in his young NBA career. Tonight, he was knocked to the floor on several occasions, yet no foul was called.

Being a rookie in the NBA has got to suck sometimes.

I don't know if he was fouled on the last shot or not. I do believe however that Jimmer has yet to get a call to go his way in his young NBA career. Tonight, he was knocked to the floor on several occasions, yet no foul was called.

I noticed the same thing. He get no calls at all.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
First, he caught it, he shot it, he missed it. If that shot had been in the middle of the game, maybe he gets the call on that shot. But at the end of the game, with the game on the line, even an established player would have a hard time getting a call. I do agree that there was at least one time he was mugged under the basket and should have gotten a call. But as has been noted, he's a rookie, and I do believe that the ref's have their own testing system. You *****, and its noted. You don't *****, and you get calls down the line. It isn't fair, but its just the way it is.

Jimmer is doing fine, and he'll get better. He's a smart player, and he'll figure out what he can, and can't do. I think more attention should be paid to to little I. Thomas. Jimmer wouldn't have had the chance to make that shot, if not for IT.. Ya gotta love the guy. His heart is bigger than his body. I think we have two rookies, that can make major contributions to this team in the future. Just think how good both these guys can be 2 years from now. Yeah, I know that doesn't sit well for those that are in the win now frame of mind. The only advice I can give to those people, whose pain I understand, is never look back, always look forward.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that doesn't sit well for those that are in the win now frame of mind. The only advice I can give to those people, whose pain I understand, is never look back, always look forward.
Great advice and my attitude. I don't think it will fly with the "what Petrie did three years ago" crowd.

He got bad treatment from the refs many times in college as well. Keep in mind that he only shot ONE free throw in the game where he scored 52 points against New Mexico.
He was always great as drawing fouls and getting to the line, but it doesn't change the fact that several refs seemed to purposely allow the defense to rough him up. Not surprising to see it happening to him again as a rookie in the NBA.

NBA Rule Book

Section X—Field Goal Attempt
A field goal attempt is a player’s attempt to shoot the ball into his basket for a field goal. The act of shooting starts when, in the official’s judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position. It is not essential that the ball leave the shooter’s hand. His arm(s) might be held so that he cannot actually make an attempt.
Official Rules for NBA -- 2011-2012 season 9-15-2011, 9-16, rev 1, 9-29-2011, rev 2 10-8-2011 rev 3 10-14-2011, rev 4 10-17-2011, rev 5 12-14-2011 rev 6 12-15-2011

The term is also used to include the flight of the ball until it becomes dead or is touched by a player. A tap during a jump ball or rebound is not considered a field goal attempt. How- ever, anytime a live ball is in flight toward the rim from the playing court, the goal, if made, shall count, even if time expires or the official’s whistle sounds. The field goal will not be scored if time on the game clock expires before the ball leaves the player’s hand or the ball is in flight toward the rim.

Jimmer's arm got pushed to the left, and his shot ended up going off to the left. Probably not a coincidence - he was clearly fouled.

Oh well, get up and move on. Get a win tonight.

Either way it doesn't matter it is still a foul. Should have been called a foul.

"The act of shooting starts when, in the official’s judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position."

Either way it doesn't matter it is still a foul. Should have been called a foul.

"The act of shooting starts when, in the official’s judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position."
Ok but it never gets called like that.