Jimmer's airball

1) Still a foul. Even if your knowledge of the game is limited, somebody already took the trouble to explain the rules

2) I don't think any video or picture really proves it one way or the other - it was close. All I know is that both Jimmer and Smart thought he was fouled, and the ball ended up going wide left after his arm was pushed to the left

3) Loss is a loss. Hopefully Kings can put a victory together tonight

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok but it never gets called like that.
People never like to admit these things. But its NOT a foul. Not as the game is called at that point. If you go into those situations expecting to get that foul you end up like Kevin Martin, eternally failing in the clutch because you don't understand, or refuse to understand, the way the game is called.

People never like to admit these things. But its NOT a foul. Not as the game is called at that point. If you go into those situations expecting to get that foul you end up like Kevin Martin, eternally failing in the clutch because you don't understand, or refuse to understand, the way the game is called.
Don't remind us...

Good point. Martin's flailings worked for 98% of the game, but I was always mystified when he'd go for the foul at the buzzer.

People never like to admit these things. But its NOT a foul. Not as the game is called at that point.
Actually, there was a distinct chance that particular foul would have been called in that particular game, since they had JUST called IT for the ticky-elbow-tap foul on the other side of the floor.
They just chose not to call the defender on arm interference on Jimmer's 3.

And it's not like Jimmer was flailing to get the call - he shot the ball. What else can he do?
It's not like he twisted his body and made the shot harder for himself just to up the % likelihood the refs would call it (which would nauseate me about Kevin).

1) Still a foul. Even if your knowledge of the game is limited, somebody already took the trouble to explain the rules

2) I don't think any video or picture really proves it one way or the other - it was close. All I know is that both Jimmer and Smart thought he was fouled, and the ball ended up going wide left after his arm was pushed to the left

3) Loss is a loss. Hopefully Kings can put a victory together tonight

I understand basketball very well. The ball was gone before there was any contact. I know what the rule says (and I knew that before it was posted) but that never gets called and shouldn't have been called then. Jimmer just missed.

Both Jimmer and Coach Smart thinking it was a foul isn't mush of a shock. They are trying to win the game.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Actually, there was a distinct chance that particular foul would have been called in that particular game, since they had JUST called IT for the ticky-elbow-tap foul on the other side of the floor.
They just chose not to call the defender on arm interference on Jimmer's 3.

And it's not like Jimmer was flailing to get the call - he shot the ball. What else can he do?
It's not like he twisted his body and made the shot harder for himself just to up the % likelihood the refs would call it (which would nauseate me about Kevin).
Its a dubious call at most times, but on an end of the game gamewinner? That becomes manly man basketball then. They normally aren't going to call anything that doesn't draw blood. You want to win it, you have to do it yourself. And that's as it should be. The absolute howls if a ref makes a bad call that wins a game would blow out the roofs off Arco/Power Balance/The Hut With No Name. If Jimmer'd definitely got hit before he released it he'd have a complaint. Still not sure to be called, but a complaint. But anything afterward = I would be surprised if they DID call it. And quite annoyed if they called it on us if the situation were reversed.

Was it a foul? Well, there's so many calls like that throughout an NBA season and it could go either way, rightfully or wrongfully so. Jimmer won't miss next time though. This kid has the confidence needed to take the final shot. That's what impresses me most. Not only the final shot but on the road in his homecoming.