Jimmer Fredette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta express a bit of disappointment now about the situation Jimmer is in. I'm not surprised that he wasn't traded (why spend anything on an unproven back-up guard who will be available at end of season, especially when it means giving up any valuable commodities in a deep draft).

But it's possible that he sees the floor even less now that the team isn't playing for anything and wants to evaluate the commited talent it has... That's unfortunate for Jimmer, and as much as I believe that you earn your time on the floor, it sucks for a guy who has obviously made strides in his game and is now shooting at an awesome clip and playing an effecient game of basketball.

On the one hand you hear the arguments of "well if he can't sniff the floor on a team as sorry as the Kings that's on him", on the other hand, you gotta think he would be getting more consistent minutes on a better team right now - even if just as a spot-up shooter type.

This happens all of the time in the NBA, but it still sucks to see. He is part victim of circumstance, and anyone that denies that has another agenda. Again, I'm not or never have been one to say that Jimmer would set the world on fire if given the chance, but it will be hard to course-correct and convince a team to take a chance on him after sitting his butt on the pine for the second half of the season while less proven talent is played in front of him.

Gotta express a bit of disappointment now about the situation Jimmer is in. I'm not surprised that he wasn't traded (why spend anything on an unproven back-up guard who will be available at end of season, especially when it means giving up any valuable commodities in a deep draft).

But it's possible that he sees the floor even less now that the team isn't playing for anything and wants to evaluate the commited talent it has... That's unfortunate for Jimmer, and as much as I believe that you earn your time on the floor, it sucks for a guy who has obviously made strides in his game and is now shooting at an awesome clip and playing an effecient game of basketball.

On the one hand you hear the arguments of "well if he can't sniff the floor on a team as sorry as the Kings that's on him", on the other hand, you gotta think he would be getting more consistent minutes on a better team right now - even if just as a spot-up shooter type.

This happens all of the time in the NBA, but it still sucks to see. He is part victim of circumstance, and anyone that denies that has another agenda. Again, I'm not or never have been one to say that Jimmer would set the world on fire if given the chance, but it will be hard to course-correct and convince a team to take a chance on him after sitting his butt on the pine for the second half of the season while less proven talent is played in front of him.
He'll have the opportunity to work out for other teams once free agency opens up. As with most role players, they shine next to stars and sputter away from them. If he can take Bricklayer's advice and worm his way onto a contending team with star talent, he'll carve out a career for himself.

I have spent some time thinking about whether the Kings could work with a triangle offense built around Cousins and Gay as a the two-man anchor. I don't think the team has the collective IQ necessary to run that system, but it would fit the stars better than the flex system we're running now. Jimmer would fit in nicely there.

T

Toasty

He would be a good pacer. He loves MSG so he'd like to be there I'm sure. Him saying it was the the best place to play was probably the closest thing to a dig you will get from jimmer.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I still think he could be s good King. I like him although he may not have warm Toasty feelings about his stay. I don't have a clue as to what kind of team we will be. I know we have Gay for now and Cuz and I think they are a good start. Jimmer can shoot. People are finally noticing. Anyway, I have no investment in this idea but I don't think he is a huge problem for us and that's good enough for me.

I'm frustrated with how fast they yanked Jimmer out of the game. Yes he looked bad for a couple minutes and had 2 turnovers. But then you take him out for the rest of the game, really?? The rest of the team was playing like garbage. Gay was 6-21 shooting. So Jimmer is building his confidence. Confidence is a game changer with him.

We don't exactly have an elite point who should soak up all the minutes. And by the way, our starting actual starting point guard: 7 turnovers.

Jimmer needs to build more confidence, and to do that he needs more consistent minutes. The coach needs to place more confidence in Jimmer by giving him those minutes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm frustrated with how fast they yanked Jimmer out of the game. Yes he looked bad for a couple minutes and had 2 turnovers. But then you take him out for the rest of the game, really?? The rest of the team was playing like garbage. Gay was 6-21 shooting. So Jimmer is building his confidence. Confidence is a game changer with him.

We don't exactly have an elite point who should soak up all the minutes. And by the way, our starting actual starting point guard: 7 turnovers.

Jimmer needs to build more confidence, and to do that he needs more consistent minutes. The coach needs to place more confidence in Jimmer by giving him those minutes.
I still think Malone took him out because it was obvious he was still suffering from flu-like symptoms. Jimmer just didn't look all there.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Any min jimmer gets from now til the end of the season is sheer kindness. No need to sugarcoat it. We tried to trade him and had no takers. This ship has sailed.

Any min jimmer gets from now til the end of the season is sheer kindness. No need to sugarcoat it. We tried to trade him and had no takers. This ship has sailed.
What about a "ship" that's still "docked", that has a passenger who just ripped up Gotham City for a career high? Just untie the ship and let it float out to sea?

Seems like a waste of talent, to not at least 'explore' whether he may have turned a corner in his career

We'll agree to disagree. I'm basing my observation on something I heard from someone who attended the game.
Fair enough, you are certainly more well connected than I am but my opinion comes from watching almost every Kings game this year not just specifically last night. Malone is a mediocre to bad offensive coach.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If you believe in that ship. You try desperately to trade that ship for a diving board. If ANYBODY believes in that ship they would gladly give up the diving board for it. Nobody trust a ship that sinks 50% of the time

If you believe in that ship. You try desperately to trade that ship for a diving board. If ANYBODY believes in that ship they would gladly give up the diving board for it. Nobody trust a ship that sinks 50% of the time
Yes, every player that wasn't traded today that was on the trading block sucks:rolleyes:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't have a lot of confidence in Jimmer to consistently run an NBA offense right now, but I do think he's at least ready to have a shot at regular playing time. I've never been a big fan of his style of play (and under-sized shooting guards in general, which seems to be where he'll settle in if he settles at all) but I do see that he plays hard on defense most of the time even if he's not always in the right position. And I see that he's looking for his teammates when he has the ball even if he doesn't have the necessary skills all the time to deliver the ball on target with defensive pressure. It's an unfortunate reality that Jimmer is going to play out the rest of his rookie contract here without ever getting nearly the chances that were given to Isaiah Thomas to prove himself at this level. Thomas has a brash confidence and an outspoken personality which is what got him the starting spot in the first place and allowed him to keep it. Jimmer, like McLemore and Williams to a certain extent, is more eager to please and more willing to defer. There's not a lot of room for easygoing personalities in professional sports. Usually the last spot goes to the guy who wants it the most and is willing to do anything to get it.

This is the last thing I ever expected, but as we're nearing the inevitable end of his tenure as a King I find myself just the slightest bit remorseful that he didn't get more of a chance to prove he belongs on this roster. I don't think he'll be a starter at any position, and at this point we really need to be playing Ray McCallum regular minutes because he's a part of the future of the team. But if it were up to me I'd scale back IT's minutes now that we've basically conceded the season anyway and he's very likely going to be playing for someone else next season, and get Jimmer some regular playing time for the last month and a half. If for no other reason than good karma and a positive reputation with the players association.

What guarantee do you have that Jimmer stays on your team after the end of the season? Why not just wait? BTW - the only thing sinking 50% of the time is his 3 pointer.

Entity

Hall of Famer
What guarantee do you have that Jimmer stays on your team after the end of the season? Why not just wait? BTW - the only thing sinking 50% of the time is his 3 pointer.
If you could survive in the NBA by only doing one thing well. Justin Williams would be in his 7th season right now

Status
Not open for further replies.