JaKarr Sampson: Two-Way contract

I just can't see any significant issues with this guy. He's hungry and the effort is always there.

He's pretty solid on defense, and while not a great offensive player, he seems to know his limits.

I can't think of a better player for a Two-Way contract, and the following article explains:

https://aroyalpain.com/2017/07/13/jakarr-sampson-prime-candidate-two-way-contract/

In addition, being a journeyman gives the rooks a nice example of what they DON'T want to be.

Frankly, there's just nothing I don't like about this situation.

I just can't see any significant issues with this guy. He's hungry and the effort is always there.

He's pretty solid on defense, and while not a great offensive player, he seems to know his limits.

I can't think of a better player for a Two-Way contract, and the following article explains:

https://aroyalpain.com/2017/07/13/jakarr-sampson-prime-candidate-two-way-contract/

In addition, being a journeyman gives the rooks a nice example of what they DON'T want to be.

Frankly, there's just nothing I don't like about this situation.
Yes, we should definitely sign Jakarr Sampson to 2-way contract ASAP, before Scott Perry tries to sign him away as the new GM of the Knicks! ;)

He's got potential with his high-motor, athleticism and defense. He's also out of control way too often, and his BBIQ is suspect. But if they think he's coachable, I'd give him a shot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd make an offer on Troy Williams first.

As a secondary option yeah, why not.
Williams was outstanding in summer league, and I would love to have him, but no way is he going to accept a two way contract. He's good enough to play in the league, and I'm sure that's what he's looking for. I believe he's still a restricted freeagent, so we would have to make an offer, and I think we only have around 6 mil in capspace left, and no roster spot. So we would have to clear a roster spot for him.

A player that might get a two way is Nad Mitrou-Long, the PG from Iowa St. I thought he played very well, and also defended very well. I would think that he and Sampson are the front runners from summer league.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'd offer up Sampson and then, in anticipation of a potential Koufos trade at some point, I'd go find another big or stretch 4 for a 2 way contract. Wouldn't give a 2 way contract for a guard.

The Kings can get two players on 2-way contracts, right? I would think they need a JaKarr Sampson or Jack Cooley on a 2-way contract as insurance on Henry Giles.

Williams was outstanding in summer league, and I would love to have him, but no way is he going to accept a two way contract. He's good enough to play in the league, and I'm sure that's what he's looking for. I believe he's still a restricted freeagent, so we would have to make an offer, and I think we only have around 6 mil in capspace left, and no roster spot. So we would have to clear a roster spot for him.

A player that might get a two way is Nad Mitrou-Long, the PG from Iowa St. I thought he played very well, and also defended very well. I would think that he and Sampson are the front runners from summer league.
I think Williams is good enough to justify a trade like sending KK out.

Kosta for a non guaranteed and maybe a second to a team that needs the depth.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Williams is good enough to justify a trade like sending KK out.

Kosta for a non guaranteed and maybe a second to a team that needs the depth.
You know, before summer league, I would have agreed with you, but after seeing Papagiannis play, I'm not sure I want to deal Koufos just yet. However, that's a deal that might be possible if the other team is willing. I'm not sure we can put the cart before the horse though.

NBA.COM lists Troy Williams as an UFA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
NBA.COM lists Troy Williams as an UFA.
Ahhhh, he was probably a victim of freeing up capspace. In any event, we would have to free up a roster spot in order to sign him. I really doubt he would sign a two way contract. But who knows? If suitors disappear he might. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Troy is gone, signed with Houston on a multi year deal.

:(

There goes my diamond in the rough.

The Kings can get two players on 2-way contracts, right? I would think they need a JaKarr Sampson or Jack Cooley on a 2-way contract as insurance on Henry Giles.
I really like Cooley, but I'm not sure there are enough minutes to go around for him. He is a great energy guy off the bench, but we already have loads of bigs that we already need to figure out minutes for. We'd probably just wind up drastically under utilizing him like we did with Eric Moreland.

You know, before summer league, I would have agreed with you, but after seeing Papagiannis play, I'm not sure I want to deal Koufos just yet. However, that's a deal that might be possible if the other team is willing. I'm not sure we can put the cart before the horse though.
I agree with this assessment. I also think we're more likely to get a decent return later than we would today. Teams are largely ready to see what they have and KK isn't going to put anyone over the hump, but midway through the season it's possible an injury here or need surfaces there and he's a perfect option for a team. We're at that point where most teams have made their FA moves and are ready to see what they have.

JaKarr is the definition of a bull in a china shop. He's either running over people for charges, clanking it awkwardly off the backboard or throwing up monster jams and swatting balls away at the rim.

I don't think the idea of Cooley on a 2 way contract would be to have him compete on the squad for minutes. He would be down in the G League, just there in case we have a rash of injuries.

I really like how the kings are utilizing the G League to develop their players.

Unlike some teams, who are ignoring the G League, the kings seem to be ahead of the game in using their affiliate to give valuable playing time to develop their young players.

I think in the long run, the kings will be able to harvest some good players out of their Reno team.