Jae Crowder?

Seems like a good fit for us at the 3/4. Trade for Holmes or something else? Worth a pick? Crowder making 10.2m this season, would bring playoff experience and toughness.

Last edited:
Didn't see other thread but HB for Crowder plus extra/pick is something I would probably do. Keegan looks ready for 35 min/game as direct replacement.

Didn't see other thread but HB for Crowder plus extra/pick is something I would probably do. Keegan looks ready for 35 min/game as direct replacement.
I might wait on that Keegan assessment for at least 2 months but Barnes for Crowder is enough to explore. I just worry it's a rental, kinda like Barnes this season.

I posted a few days ago about exploring a wider trade with Suns and Charlotte getting crowder and pjw to kingsfor holmes (to Charlotte), Barnes and Bouknight (to phx) with PHX also sending a 1st for 2024 to Charlotte (lottery protected). I dont think Charlotte is going to make any noise this year as is but i think holmes works very well for them next to ball.

But crowder for holmes and a second... Id be hella down for that too. Plus, with how he has dealt with this year, many other teams may be reluctant to rent him for a year. For Sac, its good because even if he leaves, it pulls 10M off our payroll (money we can use for barnes or another wing in the future - would give us a ~$38M warchest after Crowder, barnes, TD, Len salaries end. Some of that likely to be used to return TD and probably Len, (probably similar salary to what they are on but that leaves ~30M to fill the rest, be it a big name or barnes and others

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, Holmes deserved to get benched, but maybe there was more to it with working out a 3-team deal the last 9-10 days?

Just gotta think we're in on this somehow. Jae Crowder directly addresses 90% of everything we're currently bad at for as cheaply as possible.
The Kings somehow turning Richaun’s three year contract into an expiring that also addresses our needs for this season would be quite the coup.

I mean, Holmes deserved to get benched, but maybe there was more to it with working out a 3-team deal the last 9-10 days?

Just gotta think we're in on this somehow. Jae Crowder directly addresses 90% of everything we're currently bad at for as cheaply as possible.
is this speculation or was something mentioned?

No, not saying it necessarily means anything in particular, just something to note. Also interesting that news that the Suns are interested in Barnes has come out now.
I think it probably mostly means James Ham is just flexing that he's such an insider that he tracks the location of beat reporters.

Crowder for Barnes wont work money wise. The suns would have to add shamet (no thanks) , cam Johnson, cam payne (redundant), or torey craig (meh). And probably need a FRP. I doubt they give cam Johnson (though I doubt they will be able to really afford him next year).id rather add a third team line charlotte who seems bound for the lottery again and return crowder and PJW.

wish I understood more Holmes lack of playing time.
If we deal him for Crowder that makes sense enough but otherwise I’m hesitant to mess with our current team. The more I watch the more I like the contributions we’re getting from the forward positions and a lot of that is without Murray. I’m not sensing any disgruntled players here regardless of playing time which is sweet.

wish I understood more Holmes lack of playing time.
If we deal him for Crowder that makes sense enough but otherwise I’m hesitant to mess with our current team. The more I watch the more I like the contributions we’re getting from the forward positions and a lot of that is without Murray. I’m not sensing any disgruntled players here regardless of playing time which is sweet.
Metu is just out-playing him, pretty simple. Holmes has really struggled to adapt to the offense and he got burned over and over in the PnR on defense. Haven't much of the "old" Holmes out there who was a top 3 player for us the last few years.

That offensive shift away from the PnR is likely a big reason. I think he can be a great fit for a heavy PnR team, but that's not our identity anymore.

Metu is just out-playing him, pretty simple. Holmes has really struggled to adapt to the offense and he got burned over and over in the PnR on defense. Haven't much of the "old" Holmes out there who was a top 3 player for us the last few years.

That offensive shift away from the PnR is likely a big reason. I think he can be a great fit for a heavy PnR team, but that's not our identity anymore.
Just watching him, he isnt as quick as he was. Not sure if im just seeing him differently, but i can say that any PnR dunks that metu has gotten, holmes could have as well. So i think the issue is his scrren angles and how he moves in the PnR and on defense. He just isnt moving well. Not sure why.

With respect to trading barnes, i think if you look at the totality of the season thus far yes, he hasnt played well. But what has he dont recently? He actually seems to be playing close to last years barnes again. His defense actually has been fairly stout and per brown, he is halpy with his defense. He played very well against durant. Making himn take difficult shots. Disrupting the flow and moving him off his preferred spots... Problem is that its still Kevin Durant. Top 3 offensive player of all time. Plus, his value on this team is more for what he does off court than on. I think he is the off court leader of this team. Im not trying to. Recreate post-shumpert chemistry here again.

BUUUUT I DID see something like this trade on twitter and if you are interested in John Collins i think this trade makes sense for everyone. No one comes off as the overwhelming winners or losers.

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_11-19-2022_10-47-14AM.png

Just watching him, he isnt as quick as he was. Not sure if im just seeing him differently, but i can say that any PnR dunks that metu has gotten, holmes could have as well. So i think the issue is his scrren angles and how he moves in the PnR and on defense. He just isnt moving well. Not sure why.

With respect to trading barnes, i think if you look at the totality of the season thus far yes, he hasnt played well. But what has he dont recently? He actually seems to be playing close to last years barnes again. His defense actually has been fairly stout and per brown, he is halpy with his defense. He played very well against durant. Making himn take difficult shots. Disrupting the flow and moving him off his preferred spots... Problem is that its still Kevin Durant. Top 3 offensive player of all time. Plus, his value on this team is more for what he does off court than on. I think he is the off court leader of this team. Im not trying to. Recreate post-shumpert chemistry here again.

BUUUUT I DID see something like this trade on twitter and if you are interested in John Collins i think this trade makes sense for everyone. No one comes off as the overwhelming winners or losers.

View attachment 11307
I don’t get why the hawks would do this unless they are just trying to dump Collins salary

I don’t get why the hawks would do this unless they are just trying to dump Collins salary
From my understanding, that is precisely what they are wanting. They dont believe in collins anymore and admittedly he has not lived up to the contract. They are trying to actively move him and were wanting crowder. Suns apparently very interested in barnes but dont want collins given his contract. This allows the suns to move on from crowder, and get a guy in holmes who will fit their system well. For the kings that would probably move Keegan to the wing and collins, while not a great defender can help protect the weak side. I personally dont really want collins (would rather go after PJW) BUT it was interesting. Id rather keep barnes than collins and try to convince him to return on an extension (continue his $1M salary decrease - next year $17M, then $16M then $15M) but it will depend how we play i think.