Jabari Parker NOT the next Kings FA target

Yeah I don't get it.

Why is the fanbase so hung up on signing a FA forward? They already have wings who can play SF, they can play small with 3 guards, or just develop Jackson and share minutes with the other guys.
He’s 6’ 8” and shoots 38.3% from 3. Did you see our 3 point shooting percentage? I don’t think he can guard the quickest 3’s defensively but Bagely can. He fits in pretty well with Giles and Bagley and I’m curious what our medical staff can do to help him continue to recover.

So for those who didn’t want Lavine but are ok with Parker....WTF? He’s more injury prone. He’s not a SF. We can put him there but he’s going to struggle mightily guarding guys. We would have been better off with Lavine by a country mile. I’m still for adding talent to the roster and would explore what it takes to get Parker but with protection due to injury like the Kings had with the Lavine offer.
I think you need to consider fit. Bagley cant shoot 3’s, Parker can. Bagley can defend the 3 but Parker can’t. Let Parker play on the perimeter and guard the slower forward.

He could be... I would expect the Bagley at SF experiment to really go into the next stage if thats the case. And as long as it leaves some $$$ for a backup PG I'm all for it, bottom-line is they can do a lot worse. He's the right age, and there's surely some nice reward possible for the risk.

As LaVine would've Bari would add an interesting wrinkle as this team is running the break. He can also possibly drop 15 per game and should profile as a top-3 scoring option.

I'd sign up for Jabari and Mike James backup PG right now. :D

I do worry about his health tho, much more than LaVine's... I just didn't like the way both of Bari's tears looked when they happened, looked like to me a big dude trying to do too much with too much weight..

Albert Nahmad @AlbertNahmad
Bucks, after signing Erson Ilyasova (~$7M of NT-MLE) and Brook Lopez ($3.4M BAE), will have 13 players guaranteed. If Jennings/Zeller were to be waived, they'd have up to ~$15M below the hard cap and ~$15M below luxury tax (with Teletovic cap relief after 11/7) for Jabari Parker.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Is it really that bad if we try to develop JJ a bit more and not sign anyone at the 3? We do have Shumpert to run at the 3 as a role player if he is healthy enough again. 2019 Free Agency is looming with many good free agent prospects.

Is it really that bad if we try to develop JJ a bit more and not sign anyone at the 3? We do have Shumpert to run at the 3 as a role player if he is healthy enough again. 2019 Free Agency is looming with many good free agent prospects.
We always look to next years free agency prospects then get disappointed every year. Our stars will be home grown or through trades. If you think jj has that potential sure. A lot don't and would prefer to jump at a chance at a better player sooner rather than later

Yeah I don't get it.

Why is the fanbase so hung up on signing a FA forward? They already have wings who can play SF, they can play small with 3 guards, or just develop Jackson and share minutes with the other guys.
Justin Jackson at best projects to be a 3 and D SF, and based off what we saw last season and from his college career most consider him a depth chart guy.

Do we want to give Bogdanovic a try at SF? It could work I suppose, but he's not really an ideal fit for that position. He's better suited to the shooting guard spot.

Anyone else? I suppose Temple or Shumpert can fill in but they are stopgaps.

The reason our fans might want Parker is because he's still young and has a lot of upside if he stays healthy and puts everything together. He's got a far higher ceiling than any other SF prospect we have on the books right now. If he come good on that second overall potential, then we've got another building block to pair with Fox, Bogdanovic, Buddy, Bagley, Hield and Willie.

Other teams will also open up cap space next season. We aren't a free agent hub. So we can't bet on 2019 free agency solving any problems for us. We have an opportunity now to add a talented young player in Parker and can use the lack of cap space to our advantage. It's risky but it's worth taking the risk because JJ is a low upside player whereas Parker is a high upside player. We need to add talent and Parker could be a piece to build around.

He’s 6’ 8” and shoots 38.3% from 3. Did you see our 3 point shooting percentage? I don’t think he can guard the quickest 3’s defensively but Bagely can. He fits in pretty well with Giles and Bagley and I’m curious what our medical staff can do to help him continue to recover.
The comment was in reference to the people not liking the Lavine deal but liking Parker at around 16-18 million.

But considering the deal on its own merits, I still don't care. With or without Parker, the team is developing youth and won't win 35 games, so what does it matter how well he shoots? He's also coming off an injury and will probably be a defensive liability at the 3 spot, so I just don't get what the big deal is. I don't get why people want a FA to be signed considering we are in a rebuilding phase and they will be gone by the time this core is ready to push in the playoffs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The comment was in reference to the people not liking the Lavine deal but liking Parker at around 16-18 million.

But considering the deal on its own merits, I still don't care. With or without Parker, the team is developing youth and won't win 35 games, so what does it matter how well he shoots? He's also coming off an injury and will probably be a defensive liability at the 3 spot, so I just don't get what the big deal is. I don't get why people want a FA to be signed considering we are in a rebuilding phase and they will be gone by the time this core is ready to push in the playoffs.
I would make that even bigger if I could.

Thank you.

Most of us prefer a young free agent that will grow with our core. Lavine, Parker, smart, Anderson and so on are all young. No one I remember said hey go after more old vets.

Most of us prefer a young free agent that will grow with our core. Lavine, Parker, smart, Anderson and so on are all young. No one I remember said hey go after more old vets.
Indeed.

Compare:

Jabari Parker - March 15, 1995 (age 23 years)

with:

Buddy Hield - December 17, 1993 (age 24 years)
Bodgan Bogdanovic - August 18, 1992 (age 25 years)

Will Buddy and Bogdan "be gone by the time this core is ready to push in the playoffs"?

Since when did Bagley become capable of defending sf? Is that really the solution to Parker's bad defense?
Quickness is what matters on D. Nobody is worried about getting posted up by the league' powerful wing players. There are no Adrian Dantley's. Stick Bogi there and hope JJ learns how to shoot.

Is it possible to give him like a 2 year 40 million dollar deal? That way if he blows his knee again next season he can be used as an expiring deal next season, we can also see how he fits as a SF, otherwise this has potential to Chandler Parsons 2.0.

Indeed.

Compare:

Jabari Parker - March 15, 1995 (age 23 years)

with:

Buddy Hield - December 17, 1993 (age 24 years)
Bodgan Bogdanovic - August 18, 1992 (age 25 years)

Will Buddy and Bogdan "be gone by the time this core is ready to push in the playoffs"?
If Buddy continues to thrive in an off the bench role, and Bogdan makes the starting SG position his own, we should be able to extend both of them unless another team tries to max one of them out. If they do then we pick which want we want to hold onto, but as long as this team has play off aspirations and more, we would likely hold onto both and our owner would pay out what it takes to keep them. Unless of course we draft or can sign someone cheaper.

Since when did Bagley become capable of defending sf? Is that really the solution to Parker's bad defense?
Quickness is what matters on D. Nobody is worried about getting posted up by the league' powerful wing players. There are no Adrian Dantley's. Stick Bogi there and hope JJ learns how to shoot.
Parker has a ton more upside than JJ and Bogdan. That's the gamble this team would be taking on. If Parker puts it all together he can be an all star whereas Bogdan will likely max out as a useful starter, while JJ's ceiling is a 3 and D player/depth chart guy. I'd take that gamble on Parker at the right price and work out how the defensive assignments work later on.

Bagley might be able to defend some SFs with his length, athleticism and quickness. He doesn't have to defend all of them, just switch Bagley/Parker to the most favorable ones. Plus, defense these days is not like defense in the 90s, you can get away with an average at best defender if they offer enough offensively and the other players can cover their shortcomings at the other end.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Albert Nahmad @AlbertNahmad
Bucks, after signing Erson Ilyasova (~$7M of NT-MLE) and Brook Lopez ($3.4M BAE), will have 13 players guaranteed. If Jennings/Zeller were to be waived, they'd have up to ~$15M below the hard cap and ~$15M below luxury tax (with Teletovic cap relief after 11/7) for Jabari Parker.
So, you're telling me that if Atlanta doesn't want him Parker could be the first RFA the Kings could land. What is Vlade waiting for. Oh wait, I forgot, Parker isn't a SG. You can't have enough SG's.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

I'm thinking more about the Kings space and I don't think they'll ever be able to use it on a more talented player, let alone one that fills a need. 2019 space is a pipe dream. Every team is going to be in that scramble and the Kings can't land anyone when they are one of two teams with space. The Kings have needed a real SF/PF forever and that is Parker. He's a gamble but this is someone that's proven he can put up numbers. I can't see a wiser usage of that space. I think the best the Kings can do otherwise is take on a bad contract with a mid to late first round pick attached. I'll take Parker over that all day.

This team needs a wing defensive stopper but a guy who's body fits a profile. If you sign Parker because you think he can be a good stretch 4 then I'm all for it but that fills 1 need but not both. Reality is we probably aren't capable to fill both needs in one off season so grabbing one of the two would suffice in my eyes.

Parker wouldn't be the worst idea I've heard. I don't know how much time he can spend at the 3 though, I don't want him taking time away from Bagley and Giles. I would rather go after Hood (would be cheaper) or Smart (who can cover some 3s at times).

Parker wouldn't be the worst idea I've heard. I don't know how much time he can spend at the 3 though, I don't want him taking time away from Bagley and Giles. I would rather go after Hood (would be cheaper) or Smart (who can cover some 3s at times).
Surely we would only sign him if the plan is as a full time three otherwise we have heading down the PDA path of getting Carl Landry when we have 5 other bigs on the roster.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Surely we would only sign him if the plan is as a full time three otherwise we have heading down the PDA path of getting Carl Landry when we have 5 other bigs on the roster.

He can play the 3 even if he's a better 4 and the Kings just tried to make a gamble on another SG so apparently roster fit didn't matter then. Shouldn't matter now.

This team needs a wing defensive stopper but a guy who's body fits a profile. If you sign Parker because you think he can be a good stretch 4 then I'm all for it but that fills 1 need but not both. Reality is we probably aren't capable to fill both needs in one off season so grabbing one of the two would suffice in my eyes.
I'm not sure where this started that Parker can't play the 3, but it's just false. He's a true 3/4 flex wing. He's not a good defender yet, but he can certainly play the position.

I think he makes a lot of sense. So many creative LU's you can do with him/Giles/Bagley as the core.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure where this started that Parker can't play the 3, but it's just false. He's a true 3/4 flex wing. He's not a good defender yet, but he can certainly play the position.

I think he makes a lot of sense. So many creative LU's you can do with him/Giles/Bagley as the core.
He plays the position but not well. His best position is stretch 4 where he can use his speed ....it’s negated at the 3. Milwaukee is unique to most teams as they have lots of switchable. We don’t. That being said, I’d still sign him

I didn't proofread my post but I agree that Parker is a below average defender. My point is i think this team needs a stretch 4 as well as a lock down wing defender. Parker checks 1 of the boxes but not both.

I guess the Kings is the only option left for Parker if he wants a big contract. He can wait for another year, but after what have happened to DMC, IT and even Noel, it's better to take the money now.

Some rumors on HoopsHype Kings are still interested in Parker. My guess is Chicago is the front runner - and I think the Bulls are a little more comfortable adding Parker with how well Carter Jr has shown out defensively in Summer League.

The Bulls and Kings each have roughly $20 million lat their disposal for Parker, who is believed to be seeking a contract in that range.

Some NBA observers speculate Chicago would be the ideal spot for Parker, who was born and raised there and become a local legend after a phenomenal prep career which included four straight state championships.

More importantly, Parker could give the Bulls a big-time scoring threat and give the Bulls arguably the best young frontcourt in the game, joining Wendell Carter and Lauri Markkanen, the Bulls’ lottery selections the last two years, respectively.

An NBA executive claims the Bulls “most definitely’’ are interesting in acquiring the 6-foot-8 Parker.

As for Sacramento, the Kings are trying desperately to upgrade their starting lineup and acquire a top-flight scorer. The Kings recently made Chicago restricted free-agent shooting guard Zach LaVine a lucrative offer that the Bulls subsequently matched.

A Kings official, who requested anonymity, said the team was interested in Parker, adding “He’s a viable option.’’

http://woelfelspressbox.com/2018/07/bulls-kings-showing-keen-interest-in-jabari-parker/