Jabari Parker NOT the next Kings FA target

It's nice to know that the Kings' management can provide such fan glee by their failures in FA. I'm looking forward to the day they don't provide such glee from failing to obtain a free agent, as they do in actually succeeding in obtaining one that is noteworthy.
I kind of wonder if Parker is the real target. Chicago is now limited to 15M. Milwaukee is hard capped at around 15M once August rolls around.

The Kings can offer 16 or so for Parker with virtually no competition. At 16-17M Parker is not a bad value.

I kind of wonder if Parker is the real target. Chicago is now limited to 15M. Milwaukee is hard capped at around 15M once August rolls around.

The Kings can offer 16 or so for Parker with virtually no competition. At 16-17M Parker is not a bad value.
This would be interesting. I'm not so concerned about if he's a SF or stretch 4. When healthy he is legit and we need some of that.
If this happens, Vlade just out did Petrie at poker.

That is what I was thinking too.

Makes a lot of sense, since Parker can play Small Forward and stretch 4, a much better fit than LaVine.

I think the Kings would make the same offer to Jabari Parker that they gave LaVine, 4 years and 78 million once Chicago matches.

That is what I was thinking too.

Makes a lot of sense, since Parker can play Small Forward and stretch 4, a much better fit than LaVine.

I think the Kings would make the same offer to Jabari Parker that they gave LaVine, 4 years and 78 million once Chicago matches.
They don’t really have to go that high. Once August rolls around the can offer 17M and I don’t think Milwaukee can match.

Not if no one else can sign him :cool:
Or he may go back to the Bucks and tell them that the Kings are offering 17 million, but if the Bucks offer 15-16 million, then he would just resign with them. An 18 million a year contract would be hard to turn down for Jabari.

California also has one of the highest state taxes and cost of living.

The Kings are not exactly a desirable destination. FAs have shown that a few million difference (i.e. Mario H) won't sway them to go to the Kings.

A few extra bucks can help make sure we get him, no need to low ball, if we really want him.

Last edited:
Or he may go back to the Bucks and tell them that the Kings are offering 17 million, but if the Bucks offer 15-16 million, then he would just resign with them. An 18 million a year contract would be hard to turn down for Jabari.

California also has one of the highest state taxes and cost of living.

The Kings are not exactly a desirable destination. FAs have shown that a few million difference (i.e. Mario H) won't sway them to go to the Kings.

A few extra bucks can help make sure we get him, if we really want him.
If the Kings offer and he agrees to a 16-17M contract the Bucks can’t match. If he wanted a 14-15M contract with them they would have done it already.

If the Kings offer and he agrees to a 16-17M contract the Bucks can’t match. If he wanted a 14-15M contract with them they would have done it already.
The problem is getting a free agent to agree to that 16 mil contract to come to Sacramento.

If worse comes to worse for Jabari, he could play for the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next summer, when a lot of teams have cap space.

My point is, if the Kings really want him, you give an offer he can't refuse and I think the LaVine offer (4 years/$78 million) would be hard to turn down.

I could see him turn down a $16 million a year offer and sign the QO to become an unrestricted free agent next year, when a lot of teams will have max money available.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I like the strategy, but I wish the strategy would be employed to get someone else. I've just heard too much bad info about Parker's health and his lack of mobility to be enamored with him. Also, the Kings are loaded with power forward types. It's hard to see Parker better than anyone they already have. Could be wrong though....

P.S. I've heard "experts" interviewed about Parker who say he doesn't have the mobility for a 3; that's why I'm assuming him to be a 4.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If all is equal and you had the choice of Jabari Parker or Marcus Smart, who would everyone prefer? lets say 16-17 mill a year
I look at this way: An unhealthy Parker or a healthy Smart? Probably Smart, even though his shooting percentage is horrible.

This is something I've been wondering about, though. Danny Ainge is just POing Smart to no end by contractually treating him like a G league scrub. I wonder if Divac could take advantage of that situation somehow. Here is an interesting article on Smart, which also mentions the Kings:
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/free_agent_guard_marcus_smart.html

Last edited:
I like the strategy, but I wish the strategy would be employed to get someone else. I've just heard too much bad info about Parker's health and his lack of mobility to be enamored with him. Also, the Kings are loaded with power forward types. It's hard to see Parker better than anyone they already have. Could be wrong though....

P.S. I've heard "experts" interviewed about Parker who say he doesn't have the mobility for a 3; that's why I'm assuming him to be a 4.
Yes he lacks the mobility to defend the 3 but Bagley I think has that. He might be a perfect complementary player with a Bagley, Giles, Parker front court.

If all is equal and you had the choice of Jabari Parker or Marcus Smart, who would everyone prefer? lets say 16-17 mill a year
That's not really equal because Smart's qualifying offer from the Celtics is no where near 16mil a year.

I'd pay Smart 10mil a year before paying Jabari 16mil. He brings two skills the kings don't have. Defense on the wing and the ability to run the offense. The ability to run the offense is extremely important because the development of basically the entire team rests on that. If Fox isn't much better at it than last year, you're going to need someone with experience backing him up. Bogie is fine as a secondary ball handler but he's not good enough to be the primary.

Seems Vlade has his eyes set on every position EXCEPT the SF position. If they really believe Parker can play SF primarily than I say go for it if the price is right. However, I don’t like that they we keep trying to build log jams at our best prospective positions and threatening to marginalize or even push out the best prospects we currently have. Like LaVine when we have Buddy and Boggy(arguably the best players on the team) and bigs when have a lot invested in a young frontcourt(WCS, Giles, Bagley, Skal) not to mention Koufos who will rightfully earn his usual 18-20 minutes and probably Z-Bo as well though I don’t know where he fits in. It sends the wrong message IMO. The only guy who can look at the attempted moves and not feel like they’re going to take a backseat to eventually being shipped is De’Aaron Fox.

Its looking more like the Kings should just punt on free agency this year. I was hoping to see the team win some games this year but I like a lot of our young guys and I think Buddy and contract year Willie are primed for big seasons. I don’t know if the Kings can make the playoffs but I think they’ll be good enough to lessen the blow of losing next year’s lottery pick. I’d like to see guys like JJ and Mason get a chance to boost their value so maybe they can be packaged with expirings to score an Otto Porter or something(if the Wizards are having another middle of the road year) in a midseason trade.

I think that’s the next phase for the Kings. They compiled the prospects. Now it’s time to make some moves. Having in hand in free agency comes after building in the draft, trades and if those are successful or not.

I thinking the Kings already missed their logical targets within the first 48 hours of free agency.

Please no. Just max out Capela and trade WCS + JJ + 2nd Rounder for Otto Porter and get it over with.

Fox
Bogdan
Porter
Bagley
Capela

With Buddy and Giles coming off the bench for 30+ minutes each. Looks legit.

Good teams have depth at multiple positions. Good teams have redundancy for roles and positions. But do good teams pay that much for their depth players?

Houston had the best record in the league, and paid their #3 scorer Eric Gordon 13 mil a year. Their 20 mil player Ryan Anderson is viewed as one of the worst contracts in the league right now. Ariza was making 7 million.

Next up was the Warriors. Their third best player, Klay Thompson, was also an All-Star calibre player and making 17.8 million a season.

After that, Portland's duo of Lillard and CJ were making 26 and 24 million each, and those are their top-flight 1/2 players on the team.

The point is: I understand the Kings have to overpay to get FA talent, but WHY are they spending this much on players that are NOT a core player, NOT an all-star level player, and NOT going to ever be that? Why hinder your cap flexibility by overpaying? Because they "have to" to get players? Then don't bring in players! If you have an area like free agency that you know you are at a disadvantage, the smart strategy is to not use that area as a focal point to bring in talent. Use areas you have an advantage: trades and drafts. You have cap, so let the market dry up and then don't over pay.

Please no. Just max out Capela and trade WCS + JJ + 2nd Rounder for Otto Porter and get it over with.

Fox
Bogdan
Porter
Bagley
Capela

With Buddy and Giles coming off the bench for 30+ minutes each. Looks legit.
The fascination with Capella baffles me. Also your trade for Porter????????? Not going to happen for many reasons.

dude12

Hall of Famer
So for those who didn’t want Lavine but are ok with Parker....WTF? He’s more injury prone. He’s not a SF. We can put him there but he’s going to struggle mightily guarding guys. We would have been better off with Lavine by a country mile. I’m still for adding talent to the roster and would explore what it takes to get Parker but with protection due to injury like the Kings had with the Lavine offer.

So for those who didn’t want Lavine but are ok with Parker....WTF? He’s more injury prone. He’s not a SF. We can put him there but he’s going to struggle mightily guarding guys. We would have been better off with Lavine by a country mile. I’m still for adding talent to the roster and would explore what it takes to get Parker but with protection due to injury like the Kings had with the Lavine offer.
Some see Parker as a 3/4 while lavine as a 1/2.

Yeah I don't get it.

Why is the fanbase so hung up on signing a FA forward? They already have wings who can play SF, they can play small with 3 guards, or just develop Jackson and share minutes with the other guys.