It's early- what do you think of this starting lineup for game one?

There are lots of good ideas listed. Starting slots will be up for graps. Pre-seasn and practice will sort things out.
Yes and the more I see of these ideas the more I like where we start from and following where we go. Competitive depth is what we have day one. Some say we won't win many games. No brainer. But it will be fun watching and savoring any wins we get.

Sure it can. We've seen this before. We've talked about bench depth before where no one could figure out who the starters were with previous years teams. Those teams weren't good.

This is a bad, bad, bad team next year. As it should be for a rebuilding process. It's going to be an interesting season alright, but not because they're actually going to be competitive.
Some writers/bloggers have the Kings at worst in the league, and they will likely be another lottery team, but there's a chance Cauley-Stein could elevate his game more and surprise in the front-court while Jackson and Fox develop quickly. Hield is a big question-mark. He's shown flashes but has to become more consistent. I think there's a small chance the team is more competitive than people think- say maybe around 1/10 that things click and they're borderline .500. That would be where Fox is ROY, Randolph and WCS do better than expected, Jackson really comes around, and Hield finds consistency, and probably a couple others. That's a bunch of outcomes all needing to occur, and why its slim odds.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
George Hill probably starts at PG for the first month of the season at least. I don't think we have the depth at the position to send Fox down to the G-League for a few weeks where he can play big minutes, but he'll be eased into the starting job when he's ready. I think everyone's on the same page with that strategy and Frank Mason gets mop up minutes unless there's an injury.

I think the starting SG spot is Buddy Hield's to lose right now. If he's terrible in pre-season he could play himself onto the bench but I think everyone on the coaching staff and in the front office want him to solidify the starting role so he'll be given plenty of chances to stick there. It's tough to say where Bogdanovic fits right now because he's technically a rookie, but I would pencil him into the backup SG role with the understanding that he's a bigger wing so he'll split minutes between SG and SF depending on where he's most needed.

At SF is where things get interesting. I really don't see 41 year old Vince Carter holding down the starting spot for very long if at all. It's been almost 6 years now since he was a full-time starter and we don't have a ton of depth at the position but we have some. Justin Jackson is a rookie so he's going to have to earn his minutes the hard way. That leaves Garrett Temple as the most likely option to start at SF or potentially Bogdanovic if he's ready from day one. Malachi Richardson is really the forgotten man at this point. At some point next season there'll be an opportunity for him to step in and play a good chunks of minutes though so it's up to him really to seize that opportunity when it comes.

Will Zach start over Skal? I'd put the odds at 50/50 right now. He's got history with Coach Joerger and obviously commands respect because of his track record but then Skal has been here for a year already learning the system and Randolph will have to catch up there. Also Zach came off the bench for Memphis all last season and we're not competing for anything this year so the smart move is probably to keep him in that role but I think this will also come down to pre-season. Skal will get the benefit of the doubt but if he doesn't look great in pre-season and Zach does, it'll be easy to give him a smaller role starting out and coast on ZBo's experience.

At C it's a two man race between Kosta and Willie since Harry Giles and PapaG are both miles away from being ready. It seems like Willie solidified his starting spot this season but I get this weird feeling he's going to get Jason Thompson'ed anyway and be forced to re-earn his spot again next season. No particular reason why other than he's the type of high-energy big who's hard to quantify in terms of what exactly he's going to bring you every game and that makes coaches nervous. Kosta is steady but unspectacular and maybe that's all it takes to get 3 weeks of starts before common sense takes over and the better player gets the spot. I also wonder sometimes if coaches deliberately start the season with sub-optimal lineups so they can "make adjustments" as the season goes on and it looks like they're being pro-active. Just a suspicion I have.

If I had to bet, I would say the opening day lineup (barring injury of course) is:

George Hill, Buddy Hield, Garrett Temple, Skal Labissiere, Kosta Koufos

I'm being optimistic and predicting that Buddy and Skal both have a great pre-season of course. :)

George Hill probably starts at PG for the first month of the season at least. I don't think we have the depth at the position to send Fox down to the G-League for a few weeks where he can play big minutes, but he'll be eased into the starting job when he's ready. I think everyone's on the same page with that strategy and Frank Mason gets mop up minutes unless there's an injury.

I think the starting SG spot is Buddy Hield's to lose right now. If he's terrible in pre-season he could play himself onto the bench but I think everyone on the coaching staff and in the front office want him to solidify the starting role so he'll be given plenty of chances to stick there. It's tough to say where Bogdanovic fits right now because he's technically a rookie, but I would pencil him into the backup SG role with the understanding that he's a bigger wing so he'll split minutes between SG and SF depending on where he's most needed.

At SF is where things get interesting. I really don't see 41 year old Vince Carter holding down the starting spot for very long if at all. It's been almost 6 years now since he was a full-time starter and we don't have a ton of depth at the position but we have some. Justin Jackson is a rookie so he's going to have to earn his minutes the hard way. That leaves Garrett Temple as the most likely option to start at SF or potentially Bogdanovic if he's ready from day one. Malachi Richardson is really the forgotten man at this point. At some point next season there'll be an opportunity for him to step in and play a good chunks of minutes though so it's up to him really to seize that opportunity when it comes.

Will Zach start over Skal? I'd put the odds at 50/50 right now. He's got history with Coach Joerger and obviously commands respect because of his track record but then Skal has been here for a year already learning the system and Randolph will have to catch up there. Also Zach came off the bench for Memphis all last season and we're not competing for anything this year so the smart move is probably to keep him in that role but I think this will also come down to pre-season. Skal will get the benefit of the doubt but if he doesn't look great in pre-season and Zach does, it'll be easy to give him a smaller role starting out and coast on ZBo's experience.

At C it's a two man race between Kosta and Willie since Harry Giles and PapaG are both miles away from being ready. It seems like Willie solidified his starting spot this season but I get this weird feeling he's going to get Jason Thompson'ed anyway and be forced to re-earn his spot again next season. No particular reason why other than he's the type of high-energy big who's hard to quantify in terms of what exactly he's going to bring you every game and that makes coaches nervous. Kosta is steady but unspectacular and maybe that's all it takes to get 3 weeks of starts before common sense takes over and the better player gets the spot. I also wonder sometimes if coaches deliberately start the season with sub-optimal lineups so they can "make adjustments" as the season goes on and it looks like they're being pro-active. Just a suspicion I have.

If I had to bet, I would say the opening day lineup (barring injury of course) is:

I'm being optimistic and predicting that Buddy and Skal both have a great pre-season of course. :)
"high-energy big"? I took a hard line with WCS, but after reviewing a lot of tape of last year I can see that he is still naturally very skilled, and now it's about being able to bring it on a consistent basis and develop into a reliable player. It would be a major boost for him to get there

Pretty much nailed it.

Only thing I'd add is the possibility of a two PG line up with Fox and Hill after maybe a month of the season. Reason is they can both defend very well, and Hill can defend the two, and Hill can shoot it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we're going small at the three and priotitizing shooting at that position. People keep saying Bogs possibly at three but I would not be surprised to even see Buddy there if we go Fox, Hill, Buddy.

Pretty much nailed it.

Only thing I'd add is the possibility of a two PG line up with Fox and Hill after maybe a month of the season. Reason is they can both defend very well, and Hill can defend the two, and Hill can shoot it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we're going small at the three and priotitizing shooting at that position. People keep saying Bogs possibly at three but I would not be surprised to even see Buddy there if we go Fox, Hill, Buddy.
I don't think Buddy will be losing his starting job at the 2 at any point for the foreseeable future. I would argue that the most secure starting role is Buddy at 2.

I don't think Buddy will be losing his starting job at the 2 at any point for the foreseeable future. I would argue that the most secure starting role is Buddy at 2.
Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they Tyreke'd him over to the three. He's not the greatest ball handler in the world.

Early last season coach ran a vet heavy lineup for the first 5 or 6 minutes of each half. I know Bogs is new to the NBA but he has a lot of professional experience. I can see him getting the start at the 2 early in the season in that first 5 minute, set the tone vet heavy lineup. He and Hill can both shoot,handle and distribute.

Just guessing of course because I hate not having actual Kings basketball to talk about.

Lots of kings fans are forgetting about Temple. He's a quality NBA player and plenty long enough (and exp'd) to play small forward without giving anything up. He can hold the position nicely until someone else shows they're ready to step up. (Jackson or Malachi)
Buddy is our starting SG. Period.

I would personally be surprised if he wasn't. I think Buddy is a solid young talent, the centerpiece of that Cousins trade for a reason. I think many are high on Bogdanovic too, and rightfully have seen him as one of the better players in Europe. But I kind of think Napear has given a glowing impression on Bogdanovic as opposed to Hield. Napear harped on Buddy a lot during last years telecasts and even on his program. He also spoke of Bogs being a lottery level talent that may be the Kings best wing.. I think Napear may be putting carts before horses, and maybe continuing his pattern of under appreciating the different talents the team has.

I think Bogs will be a solid role player, and may be able to have a Manu 'type' super sub role, if he's more it's money in the bank

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they Tyreke'd him over to the three. He's not the greatest ball handler in the world.
I think it's more likely that Bogdanovic is switched to the three. Taller, longer, and stronger than Buddy. Of course Bog's may be the better player of the two period, and Buddy may end up being our sixth may off the bench at the two. It will all come out in the wash going forward. To my mind, Bogdanovic is the mystery man who could affect the playing time of players at two positions.

Lots of kings fans are forgetting about Temple. He's a quality NBA player and plenty long enough (and exp'd) to play small forward without giving anything up. He can hold the position nicely until someone else shows they're ready to step up. (Jackson or Malachi)
I agree re Temple and I have been saying a few times that he played more as a SF for Washington than he did as a SG.

Not sure about Buddy though. I think Bogdanović will give him a run for his money. Hill and Bogdanović are good fits and Buddy fits with Fox well. There will be a lot of crossover with minutes but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Bogdanović is a starting SG.

I think it's more likely that Bogdanovic is switched to the three. Taller, longer, and stronger than Buddy. Of course Bog's may be the better player of the two period, and Buddy may end up being our sixth may off the bench at the two. It will all come out in the wash going forward. To my mind, Bogdanovic is the mystery man who could affect the playing time of players at two positions.
Agreed. Anyway, how nice is it to have these problems???

Over the next two years, between Fox, Hill, Buddy, Bogs, JJ, I think we'll have out 1-3 long term starters, and our top two off the bench at those positions. Question for me is, how does Malachi react to all this, because let's not forget he showed some great signs last year. I think eventually we can come out of this with a valuable young trade piece or two, I would hope. In addition to our long term starters.

Over the next two years, between Fox, Hill, Buddy, Bogs, JJ, I think we'll have out 1-3 long term starters, and our top two off the bench at those positions. Question for me is, how does Malachi react to all this, because let's not forget he showed some great signs last year. I think eventually we can come out of this with a valuable young trade piece or two, I would hope. In addition to our long term starters.
I agree, including about Malachi, He was the first of our youngsters last year to earn playing time, and he responded with mature play that gave us hope. So I think all those Kingsfans who see him as the odd man out are revealing their short... memories. He's also got length that Hield will never have, so he could end up being a 2-3.

Playing time may be dictated by who can be the best defensive player. We know Temple is a good defender, who else will stand out on the defensive end?

I've never been quite as high on Buddy as a lot of people here. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about him but I think he's riding on a super efficient small sample size with us as the moment. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bogdan starts at SG over him. I think Bogdan's shooting is up there in the same vicinity as Buddy but he brings better passing, court vision and more defensive potential than Buddy has. Bogdan went up against some monsters on the USA team and held his own in the Olympics. But you can never count Buddy out. The guy is a workhorse and you know if he loses his spot, it wont be for lack of effort.

Of the young perimeter guys that we've seen so far, I think Fox and JJ will be above average defenders. Malachi and Bogdan average. Buddy and Mason below average. It's harder to rank the big men because there are so many variables right now.

I also have a pretty hard time imagining us not starting Fox. He is the 5th overall pick on a team that is going to win 30 games at the most. He played well in SL and has shown no cause for concern, unlike 7onzo having zero pull up game. Im not really sure how we dont start Fox and Buddy. As nice of a player as Hill is, he isnt going to out-play Fox in training camp. The coach would be going out of his way to make Hill start, if it happens. I wouldnt bet on that.

Moreover, I think Labissierre is a lock in the starting lineup as well. Zbo isnt here to play meaningful minutes. He here to show the youngsters how to be pros and how to win. Lets not forget, Labissierre looked like a future star last year. He didnt struggle to contribute.

I've never been quite as high on Buddy as a lot of people here. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about him but I think he's riding on a super efficient small sample size with us as the moment. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bogdan starts at SG over him. I think Bogdan's shooting is up there in the same vicinity as Buddy but he brings better passing, court vision and more defensive potential than Buddy has. Bogdan went up against some monsters on the USA team and held his own in the Olympics. But you can never count Buddy out. The guy is a workhorse and you know if he loses his spot, it wont be for lack of effort.

Of the young perimeter guys that we've seen so far, I think Fox and JJ will be above average defenders. Malachi and Bogdan average. Buddy and Mason below average. It's harder to rank the big men because there are so many variables right now.
Bogdan brings better court vision. As for defense, if he's indeed better than Buddy I can see the argument for him. But I think he might be less athletic than Buddy for the SG position. We'll see in camp

I also have a pretty hard time imagining us not starting Fox. He is the 5th overall pick on a team that is going to win 30 games at the most. He played well in SL and has shown no cause for concern, unlike 7onzo having zero pull up game. Im not really sure how we dont start Fox and Buddy. As nice of a player as Hill is, he isnt going to out-play Fox in training camp. The coach would be going out of his way to make Hill start, if it happens. I wouldnt bet on that.
Fox is not going to start this year until February at the earliest unless Hill gets injured. Yes Fox has huge potential, but he does not have an NBA ready body at all yet. There is no chance he outplays a very solid NBA veteran in his first training camp. He has so much to learn before he can step in and be truly effective. They brought Hill in to mentor and show Fox how to play. Not to watch Fox play and coach him - we have coaches for that.

Moreover, I think Labissierre is a lock in the starting lineup as well. Zbo isnt here to play meaningful minutes. He here to show the youngsters how to be pros and how to win. Lets not forget, Labissierre looked like a future star last year. He didnt struggle to contribute.
More plausible than Fox starting over Hill, but Skal was terrible in summer league. He will have to show that was just boredom or an anomaly to start early on.

Fox is not going to start this year until February at the earliest unless Hill gets injured. Yes Fox has huge potential, but he does not have an NBA ready body at all yet. There is no chance he outplays a very solid NBA veteran in his first training camp. He has so much to learn before he can step in and be truly effective. They brought Hill in to mentor and show Fox how to play. Not to watch Fox play and coach him - we have coaches for that.
More plausible than Fox starting over Hill, but Skal was terrible in summer league. He will have to show that was just boredom or an anomaly to start early on.
I agree and because they don't start, it makes it more likely that Jackson starts. He is mote experienced and more mature, has less competition, and would be the only rookie starring. Makes some sense to me.

Actually surprised how little play Kosta is getting. If you were to look up solid big in the dictionary you'd see him. I think he wasn't featured down the stretch for other purposes than being beaten out of the starting lineup last year, and someone will have to beat him out this year. Looks good on instagram. I don't see Randolph as a better player as of now, just depends on whether WCS is ready to bring it at the 5

Vet heavy to start the season:
Hill,Fox,Mason
Buddy,Bogs, Malachi
Carter,Justin,Temple
Zbo,Skal,Giles
WCS,Kosta,Papa

But Fox,Bogs,Justin,Skal will all have an opportunity to move up during the year, All will have to earn it!!!