I'm Shocked!!!- The Kings Are Not a Good Team

VF21 said:
I'll state again: It took Geoff Petrie FIVE YEARS to build the first elite Kings team. It may well take him at least two or three years to get us back to anything approaching that status. That's being realistic.
But what if he can't? If they can't turn around and move any of those hideous contracts we aquired for anything of value, he may very well leave. You should know better than anyone that nothing is a given at this point. The way we squandered our talent, and got nothing in return, could haunt us for much longer than 5 years.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
swisshh said:
This isn't a talent issue.
Talent has to match though. Mentioned before that if you had 12 A.I.'s you'd probably go 0-82 on a season. Can't have a bunch of one note players all struggling for the same instrument.

In any case, I have been arguing against this "team" ever since June. But I can take no credit for seeing THIS happen. Indeed, I was grimly digging in for what I assumed would be a long and stupid season of wussy high scoring non-defending keep the short attention span fans happy with smoke and mirrors B.S. Thought we would win 45-55. Score a lot of points. Be sad and irrelevant but disguise it by looking pretty. Thought we COULD miss the playoiffs, but that were playoff caliber and would be in the hunt. NEVER expected to plummet to the bottom of the league. Never anticipated it would work THIS bad. They have far exceeded my own pessimism (as it turns out realism) and have me shaking my head rather than nodding knowingly.

Bricklayer

KP said:
But what if he can't? If they can't turn around and move any of those hideous contracts we aquired for anything of value, he may very well leave. You should know better than anyone that nothing is a given at this point. The way we squandered our talent, and got nothing in return, could haunt us for much longer than 5 years.
Thing is, beyond drafting Peja, Geoff basically built the core of that elite team in ONE offseason. He wasn't slowly building for 5 years. In fact I would have argued he could very well have been fired for his work in the first 3-4 years. He, and we, blundered about in mediocrity. His genius offseason was the '99 strike year when he got off his *** and did something -- all in one offseason he drafted JWill, traded Mitch for Webb, and signed Vlade as a FA. It all came pouring in at once. Wasn't a trickle build thing, but a sudden, dramatic turn. The likes of which IMHO, should have been launched on THIS offseason rather than sitting on his *** trying to look deep. Fortune favors the brave.

why do i have the feeling that Adelman might be behind all of these. (kings poor play, chemistry, player's weaknesses were so exposed) is it maybe because of what happened during the offseason when the Kings tried to go after PJ?

i mean last year, when the Kings of last year where we only had BMiller and Bibby as our main players after CWebb was traded and Peja was injured the Kings ran a lot of pick and rolls where i remember Bmiller scoring like 30+points and Bibby was so damn good with setting up everybody and we were still winning close games. our offense was i could say very good and we only sucked in defense/rebounding. But now this year, the Kings kept on sticking and running the Princeton offense which is clearly not playing on the strengths of the players the Kings have now. Now we have poor offense and defense.

Maybe just maybe Adelman wants to get back at the Maloof's in a subtle way by exposing each players weaknesses by not playing them according to their strengths, in turn minimizing the teams potential and as a result we Kings fans endure these streak of losses.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Thing is, beyond drafting Peja, Geoff basically built the core of that elite team in ONE offseason. He wasn't slowly building for 5 years. In fact I would have argued he could very well have been fired for his work in the first 3-4 years. He, and we, blundered about in mediocrity. His genius offseason was the '99 strike year when he got off his *** and did something -- all in one offseason he drafted JWill, traded Mitch for Webb, and signed Vlade as a FA. It all came pouring in at once. Wasn't a trickle build thing, but a sudden, dramatic turn. The likes of which IMHO, should have been launched on THIS offseason rather than sitting on his *** trying to look deep. Fortune favors the brave.
The final cogs IMHO were Doug and Bobby, who didn't come until 2000-01. So, from the time Peja was drafted to the completion of what we would come to know as our "elite team" was - in fact - five years. I do agree he wasn't slow building the entire time, but the project did take five years to complete.

If this time is going to run at all parallel to the other, then I'm thinking we can at least hope for some real action within the next year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
rexb_kings said:
why do i have the feeling that Adelman might be behind all of these. (kings poor play, chemistry, player's weaknesses were so exposed) is it maybe because of what happened during the offseason when the Kings tried to go after PJ?

i mean last year, when the Kings of last year where we only had BMiller and Bibby as our main players after CWebb was traded and Peja was injured the Kings ran a lot of pick and rolls where i remember Bmiller scoring like 30+points and Bibby was so damn good with setting up everybody and we were still winning close games. our offense was i could say very good and we only sucked in defense/rebounding. But now this year, the Kings kept on sticking and running the Princeton offense which is clearly not playing on the strengths of the players the Kings have now. Now we have poor offense and defense.

Maybe just maybe Adelman wants to get back at the Maloof's in a subtle way by exposing each players weaknesses by not playing them according to their strengths, in turn minimizing the teams potential and as a result we Kings fans endure these streak of losses.
You might be right.

And if you are, I'm sure the aliens who abducted Adelman and replaced him with one of their own are very pleased with how their plan is going. Considering how they're all Clippers fans anyway...

VF21 said:
You might be right.

And if you are, I'm sure the aliens who abducted Adelman and replaced him with one of their own are very pleased with how their plan is going. Considering how they're all Clippers fans anyway...
Tousche ..dunno how to put in the little symbol thats supposed to go on that word (if there even is one...i dunno)

I still contend that these guys are not performing to their capabilities. No questions about that. But, the whole media campaign this last offseason was defense. Thats all I heard, and tonight we let the worst team in the West go beyond 100 pts for the first time all season. My question is: What defense?

I really don't think Adleman is to blame and I hope he coaches beyond this year. He has essentially a bunch of spare parts.

The only thing that bothers me is that the organization has never really been honest about how good they expect the Kings to be. Either they seriously misjudged the talent that they have or they have not been upfront with the fans.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
natedizzle said:
The only thing that bothers me is that the organization has never really been honest about how good they expect the Kings to be. Either they seriously misjudged the talent that they have or they have not been upfront with the fans.
Which is why, IMHO, the whole idea of the "gold standard" salute to the fans was so ludicrous to begin with. And what came of it? An embarrassing large gold numeral in front of Arco. We can't even make fun of it by chanting "We're number 6" because we'd have to go on a pretty good win streak to even get up to number 6.

They should have given the fans credit for a little bit of intelligence and told us they didn't expect a lot out of the current group. My guess is they couldn't figure out a way to do that without alienating the players, however. Now they've created a pretty bad situation. And until the trigger is pulled on some deals, there's no way for them to admit they're in the process of looking to make things better without further eroding the player confidence. Pretty much a Catch-22 situation right now ...

natedizzle said:
I really don't think Adleman is to blame and I hope he coaches beyond this year. He has essentially a bunch of spare parts.

well, the funny thing is that a good chunk of folks in the media thought that we'd be alot better than we are at the beginning of the season, too. so it wasnt really all the organization's fault...the media hyped us up a bit, too.

Bricklayer

natedizzle said:

That actually annoys me too given my own read on this team from summer onward -- were they dumb or dishonest? Neither one is a compliment. Would feel much better about things if I was sure the front office understood what the hell was going on and what it was doing. Well, except in that case then you have a grotesque and highly annoying Kings hype machine treating the fans with blatant disrespect and assuming we are all fools.

Choices, choices.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
For the record I blame Pete Carril
By the way, I absolutely agree.

And of course its got nothing at all to do with me being a Penn guy ;)(Princeton/Penn being traditional basketball rivals).

The Kings have more talent than they had back in the 80's. That's why fans are booing the team. The 80's teams were bad, but they played with heart. This team has veteran players who have made the All Star Game and a veteran coach. The team plays with no heart, except Ronnie Price tonight. At some point, you have to put that on the coach. The players have tuned Adelman out. The way the players drag their feet walking to the huddle during the timeout when Adelman was ready to rip them a new one in tonight's game.

Bricklayer said:
That actually annoys me too given my own read on this team from summer onward -- were they dumb or dishonest? Neither one is a compliment. Would feel much better about things if I was sure the front office understood what the hell was going on and what it was doing. Well, except in that case then you have a frotesque and highly annoying Kings hype machine treating the fans with blatant disrespect and assuming we are all fools.

Choices, choices.
Dumb could probably be cured, however.

Annoying hype machine would most likely come from someone(s) with a long term position.

Either way, something needs to change. Any kind of movement, even if it were a bad move, would at least serve as a mea culpa. Its beyond time for the organization to suck it up, admit that the experiment didn't work, and change the variables.

The high point of the team was the year Webber got injured in the playoffs. That was aguably the best Kings team ever put on the floor. Then the team had a bad injury that was compounded by the coaching weaknesses of Adlemen. Since then they've never been a contender and were on their way down.

So to me, they've been trying to fool folks for longer than just this year. I just don't know what has happened this year. I don't even think the new pieces are ones that don't fit. Bonzi has done well and Shareef is fine. It's a matter of the team underachieving and the rest of the league having scouted the offense for years and years until there is a known philosophy of how to defend the Kings. Add the fact Adlemen is allergic to defense and you have many issues that aren't just roster problems.

VF21 said:
This team, as I've said in other threads, is a collection of spare parts that simply is not going to run like a well-built engine. What surprises me is how surprised people are NOW to see them falter.

A number of us tried to point out core weaknesses after the SAR acquisition and we were pretty much told we weren't true fans. Well, now exactly what we predicted might happen, is happening. You can blame the team OR you can simply accept that this is a team in rebuild mode. It took Geoff Petrie five years to build the first true elite Kings team. This is the first year of the new construction project. It's not going to get better overnight and it's not going to lead to the promised land any time in the foreseeable future.

I don't want to sound rude at all, but if you're shocked about this, you really haven't been paying attention.

I love this team. I loved them through the horrible years, I loved them through the good years, and I loved them through the ELITE years. Now, I will love them through these years. But it's not going to be a task for the faint of heart.

Being a Kings fan isn't going to be all bragging and boasting and play-off runs, etc. At least not for a while...

Oh dear....you said 15 games into the season "oh let it wait, let them play" 20 games in..."they have to find themselves"

please don't act like you knew along that this was a bad team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Excuse me? I've said to continue to have hope but I have always said this team would have to really step up to even make the playoffs. I've never said they were anything close to contending.

I don't have to act anything. I knew on February 23, 2005 a HORRIBLE mistake had been made. I wasn't that impressed with the idea of bringing SAR to the team. In fact, if you'll look at slugking50's signature, you'll see my thoughts about people who maintained he was going to save our franchise.

Disagree with me all you like, but don't mistake me trying to be hopeful for not knowing this was not a contending team.

swisshh said:
The high point of the team was the year Webber got injured in the playoffs. That was aguably the best Kings team ever put on the floor. Then the team had a bad injury that was compounded by the coaching weaknesses of Adlemen. Since then they've never been a contender and were on their way down.

So to me, they've been trying to fool folks for longer than just this year. I just don't know what has happened this year. I don't even think the new pieces are ones that don't fit. Bonzi has done well and Shareef is fine. It's a matter of the team underachieving and the rest of the league having scouted the offense for years and years until there is a known philosophy of how to defend the Kings. Add the fact Adlemen is allergic to defense and you have many issues that aren't just roster problems.
Well, how can a team change directions when it never changed anything? Taking a crop of new players and trying to mold them into what that old team was hasn't worked and it won't work. It needs to find its own identity and I don't see how that can happen with the same coach.

Adelman shouldn't change his style because he does what he does. Right now I don't think its working for this team or really any NEW Kings team that is truly going to move on. Rick isn't a bad coach but after awhile, and especially when taking into account what happened during the summer, you have to move ahead. I don't know many teams that have done that and kept the same coach/style.

i'm tired of trying to shoehorn these role players into a princeton offense that they just don't seem to want to play any more. and if the coaching staff and adelman keep insisting on doing this, then they need to be giving the right parts or they need to be shown the door.

either way, every team in the freakin' nba has an "idiot's guide to beating the kings" with their playbooks by now.

VF21 said:
Excuse me? I've said to continue to have hope but I have always said this team would have to really step up to even make the playoffs. I've never said they were anything close to contending.

I don't have to act anything. I knew on February 23, 2005 a HORRIBLE mistake had been made. I wasn't that impressed with the idea of bringing SAR to the team. In fact, if you'll look at slugking50's signature, you'll see my thoughts about people who maintained he was going to save our franchise.

Disagree with me all you like, but don't mistake me trying to be hopeful for not knowing this was not a contending team.
I am sorry, but this is bull. I have to agree with Forlorn. Whenever I so much as questioned the Kings in the past, there would be a little high and mighty spin coming from your mouth in reply. You never wanted to face the team's real issues. You weren't just 'hopeful', you were a quaint fluttery fountain of denial. For you to complain about people attacking you for just questioning the Kings is laughable. Now you know how the rest of us feel, hrm?

VF21 said:

Oops! I changed my Sig a week ago.

I knew this team wasnt a contender the beginning of the season but I thought we'd fight for the 8th spot. I didnt expect we'd be this bad!