If an arena doesn't pan out, could you still blame the Maloofs for leaving?

I know we can't foresee the future, but if an arena deal doesn't materialize over the next year, do you think you can justifiably blame the Maloofs for leaving at that point? Is it fair to say that the onus is completely on the city at this point to keep the Kings in Sacramento?

Gary

All-Star
I know we can't foresee the future, but if an arena deal doesn't materialize over the next year, do you think you can justifiably blame the Maloofs for leaving at that point? Is it fair to say that the onus is completely on the city at this point to keep the Kings in Sacramento?
Not anymore. And I don't like the Maloofs. All I want is one last year for KJ and the public to get somethign to work. But since this is a joyous day I will leave it at that... Damn.. You're from OC =/ lol.. Sorry.

Depends on their participation/cooperation. Swap the Maloofs for Burkle or some other owner and I think the odds of getting an arena built go up quite a bit. If they play an active role in this; I think the arena efforts will fail and I will probably blame them. I'll also blame them if there's a buyer in the wings that's able to get an arena built, but they won't sell.

Depends on their participation/cooperation. Swap the Maloofs for Burkle or some other owner and I think the odds of getting an arena built go up quite a bit. If they play an active role in this; I think the arena efforts will fail and I will probably blame them. I'll also blame them if there's a buyer in the wings that's able to get an arena built, but they won't sell.
You'd blame them for wanting to keep their business?

It'd be hard to blame them at that point because the league will probably be encouraging them to move by then. That wouldn't erase the blame the Maloofs share for their role in allowing things to get to critical mass, though. If you really want to put the blame in the right place, blame the NBA for allowing buildings to become more important than the team, city, or fans and setting the precedent that owners not pay for their own buildings...but that's a whole other issue that there's no reason to even get into.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assuming the Maloofs work with the city and are trying to make things work in Sacramento I wouldn't blame them for leaving if it doesn't work out and wanting to leave.

This is the shot the city wanted. Let's hope they are up to the challenge.

If it means that they sabotage the team enough to get support to move it from the thousands of loyal fans to a place that didn't even want them, then yes.
First of all the claim that they'd be moving to a place that didn't even want them is unsubstantiated. Secondly, I don't see how the Maloofs can justifiably be expected to have the Kings staying in Sacramento as a higher priority than them keeping their business.

Don't think the Maloofs will be matter too much. After listening to Stern's press conference, they will have lots of "boots on the ground" assisting them in all aspects of marketing, tickets sales, PR, etc. And they will be intimately involved with the arena deal. I hope they bring plenty of duct tape so we don't hear any more quotes like the one earlier from George Maloof about not being sure if the public should contribute to the arena. They need to go back to being silent again.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
"I think it's the fair thing to do." So insulting. Sell the team already. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6465353
2 hours ago
There's still ways to see this as negative towards the Maloofs and their involvement is dicey to me. Whatever happens, it will hard for anyone to be blame free. This is a midnight hour arena deal because of their previous stalling.

I also think that most don't see the situation as involving the Maloofs in the long haul. The idea that the Maloofs mattering less is a factor in having a newfound plan and public energy for the arena says a lot about how blame-free the Maloofs will end up, no matter the result.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, fairly obviously. Few cities have been such a clear, clean cut mandate. Its of course been true for a decade, but now event he troliest troll fo most foolish of the fools can see its a very simple case of put up or shut up. If you build it, they will stay.

The onus is not on the City, it is on the metropolitan area, that's multi-county. The onus is on the fans and customers and businesses and investors and also on the group of government agencies. Also, no matter what the success or failure of all those, the Maloofs need to play their cards well this time. Up to now they have not played it well with me. They need to do better next time. No free passes in or out.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I had said at the time the ICON deal first materialized that if it didn't get done I expected and accepted the team to move.

Does that mean I won't bill ill will towards the Maloofs? Remains to be seen. The move will be justifiable. The ball is in Sacramento's court.

First of all the claim that they'd be moving to a place that didn't even want them is unsubstantiated. Secondly, I don't see how the Maloofs can justifiably be expected to have the Kings staying in Sacramento as a higher priority than them keeping their business.
OK I take that back.. A place where you wanted them.. Cool?

No, as I've stated in many threads, the city needed one fair year to put up or shut up knowing the consequential outcome. If it doesn't get done in the next year, I have no probelm with the Anaheim Royals
I'm not convinced they'll ever be the Anaheim Royals, even if this newly charged arena effort somehow fails. Stern was very careful in his press conference to say that they'd support relocation but when asked, he wouldn't commit to supporting relocation to Anaheim specifically.

I'm not convinced they'll ever be the Anaheim Royals, even if this newly charged arena effort somehow fails. Stern was very careful in his press conference to say that they'd support relocation but when asked, he wouldn't commit to supporting relocation to Anaheim specifically.
This. The problems with Anaheim wont be gone next year either. The Lakers and Clippers are still there.

Sorry, it isn't going to happen. I choose to BELIEVE!!
I'll be doing my part this year by attending as many games as possible.

Kings in Sacramento... FOREVER!!!

This. The problems with Anaheim wont be gone next year either. The Lakers and Clippers are still there.
Yah same.. You guys in OC will probably one day get the Clippers... Learn to enjoy them.. there will never be 3 NBA teams in the LA market as long as Buss is an owner.

Would you OC people welcome the Clippers? Serious question..

I'd still feel a lot better though if they could move the Clippers to Anaheim so we could cross it off the list of potential cities for the Kings to try and relocate to for good. Plus it would be better for the league anyways because it's really, really stupid that the Clippers and Lakers share an arena.

L

Lafayette

No, the Kings leaving because the CITY can't get an Arena deal done has nothing to do with the team leaving in 2012-2013. It's like some posted earlier, PUT UP OR SHUT UP AND SHIP OUT!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I guess it depends what happens over the next year. If they go into this with the mindset of "we still want to stay in Sacramento if an arena deal can get done" and they cooperate with the negotiations and make necessary concessions (because I'm assuming they're not going to be able to contribute anything to the deal financially) than I'll have no problem with them if it falls through and they move to Anaheim next year. I'd still be really unhappy about it of course, but at least now the deadline is set and everyone knows what needs to get done; we're not going to get the rug pulled out from under us.

I'd still feel a lot better though if they could move the Clippers to Anaheim so we could cross it off the list of potential cities for the Kings to try and relocate to for good. Plus it would be better for the league anyways because it's really, really stupid that the Clippers and Lakers share an arena.
Agreed. The NBA should provide a helicopter taxi complimentary hop for Sterling for each Clips game at Honda Center so it's just as quick for him as his beloved short drive from Beverly Hills to Staples Center. Maybe the old man could also crash at Kobe Bryant's huge Orange County estate around the corner at Newport Shores if needed.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
OK I take that back.. A place where you wanted them.. Cool?
Not that Vlade needs my support, but I don't recall Vlade lobbying for the Kings move to Anaheim. He may have found it beneficial. But I think he always supported the team in sacramento. As have I, and I'm a hell of lot closer to Anahiem than I'am sacramento. So far, I'm happy with the outcome. Lets hope were all happy with the final ending as well.

Yah same.. You guys in OC will probably one day get the Clippers... Learn to enjoy them.. there will never be 3 NBA teams in the LA market as long as Buss is an owner.

Stern repeated today that Anaheim made a great pitch as a stand alone market and his personal view is positive for Anaheim. In the conference call, David Stern said "I think Anaheim is in the future of the NBA and this process only moved it along."

Stern repeated today that Anaheim made a great pitch as a stand alone market and his personal view is positive for Anaheim. In the conference call, David Stern said "I think Anaheim is in the future of the NBA and this process only moved it along."
Maybe he meant the Clippers in their future, who knows.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Which OC guys are you refering to? Those of us that have been on this fourm, but are Kingsfans?

In a few years and after Anaheim builds a new arena, you might just get one! Seriously though, this team needs to stay here. The right thing was done this time. Samueli would better spend his time on the team that really should be in Anaheim, the Clippers.

Doesn't mean they are top of the relocation list either.