How would you spend the Kings $35 million cap space this summer?

Beverly is not that realistic. He is a two way player who was starting for a playoff team. He would not come here to be a bench player. Even if we are willing to overpay, there will be teams which are willing to overpay and offer him the starting job.

Cory Joseph is attainable. If we want a perimeter defender, he is very good (maybe even better than Beverly).

I prefer we go after an all around player, someone like Jeremy Lamb. Lamb is a long combo guard who can run pick and roll (73.6% percentile in efficiency), run in transition (74.6% percentile in efficiency) or be an isolation scorer (57% percentile in efficiency) . He is a very good defensive rebounding guard (career 16.7% defensive rebounding rate, which is pretty good even for a small forward). He is also a decent defender, which Buddy is not. Another bonus thing is that Lamb is a pretty good spot up shooter out to 3pt line.

I wonder what the market for Lamb will be. It should be no less than 10M/year. He is an all around player who is decent at everything while still be a positive defender. The last half of the season, he came off the bench for the Hornets so he maybe ok coming off the bench here.

It would be very nice to have a rotation of Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Lamb.
Just not enough ball handling with Lamb. The Kings are in trouble if they go into the season with Bogi as the primary ball handler off the bench.

You are aware that Beverly only started a little over half their games last season. He is a guy who had to fight tooth and nail just to geta shot at playing in the NBA. If you have ever heard him talk about it, he is well aware it could end just as quickly. Shai Alexander is the PG of the future in LAC. They also have Lou Williams, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson who can play PG. While I like Beverly a lot as a backup, he isn't the type of player a team usually brings in to be their starting PG. I haven't looked at what teams need a PG, but my guess is they aren't the ones calling Beverly. It will be teams like the Kings who are looking to fill a role on their team.

Just not enough ball handling with Lamb. The Kings are in trouble if they go into the season with Bogi as the primary ball handler off the bench.
Last season, Lamb had 284 pick and roll possessions at 73.6% percentile. Bogi had 300 pick and roll possessions at 53.4% percentile. Both are combo guards that can share duty. Lamb is probably more a point guard than Beverly or Yogi is.

You are aware that Beverly only started a little over half their games last season. He is a guy who had to fight tooth and nail just to geta shot at playing in the NBA. If you have ever heard him talk about it, he is well aware it could end just as quickly. Shai Alexander is the PG of the future in LAC. They also have Lou Williams, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson who can play PG. While I like Beverly a lot as a backup, he isn't the type of player a team usually brings in to be their starting PG. I haven't looked at what teams need a PG, but my guess is they aren't the ones calling Beverly. It will be teams like the Kings who are looking to fill a role on their team.
Beverly started 300 games out of 380 career games.

We can go after Beverly. If the price between him and Lamb are similar, I would rather have Lamb.

My plan A would be to throw the kitchen sink at Jimmy Butler, and if you get him - call it good. Keep Willie.

Plan B can be anything else.

I'm not a "we can get Beverly" believer. I think he and Montrezl are too much a part of the fabric of what the Clippers are. If they let guys like that get away I'll be shocked. If we can get him, I'll be elated.

I'm ok with Willie/Giles for the C position - with a deep bench big body maybe.... if were adding a legit alpha 3.

I'd like Brook Lopez if we were a good rebounding team. But were not. I think we were something like 25th in the league, and we were almost last in defensive rebounding. How many games did we lose last season because of 2nd chance points. I can't tell you how many nights I went to bed hoarse from screaming at my TV for someone, anyone to grab a stinking defensive rebound. Think about this! Willie was our best defensive rebounder!!

Nope, I'll pass on Brook. If I can't get either Vucevic, or Dedmon (the player I prefer), then I'm moving on to Jordan, who is a very good defensive rebounder, a good rim and post protector.
Precisely my thoughts. We need Lopez like we need a hole in each of our heads. No thanks

Kings need to go after as many max players as possible. Hopefully, one of them falls in th love with the possibility of Fox, Bagley and Hield. The Western conference had a down year.
Next year is different. Lakers will get a max player and be in the playoffs. Dallas will sign another piece to Porzingas/Doncic. The only teams I see dropping off is the Spurs and maybe OKC. Dubs, Rockets, Clips, Blazers, Nugs, and Utah are locks for the playoffs again.

Kings need a difference maker if they plan to get one of those 8 spots.

My plan A would be to throw the kitchen sink at Jimmy Butler, and if you get him - call it good. Keep Willie.

Plan B can be anything else.

I'm not a "we can get Beverly" believer. I think he and Montrezl are too much a part of the fabric of what the Clippers are. If they let guys like that get away I'll be shocked. If we can get him, I'll be elated.

I'm ok with Willie/Giles for the C position - with a deep bench big body maybe.... if were adding a legit alpha 3.
There is one thing that scares me about Jimmy and it has nothing to do with his talent. It doesn't even have anything to do with his attitude or age either. Its how many miles those legs have already played.

Most of his career he has played for Thibs who is known for grinding his players into dirt with very heavy minutes. Generally players that have played heavy minutes for Thibs have fallen off the cliff pretty quickly and suddenly. The last thing this team needs it to invest heavily into that star only to realize two years into the 4 year deal that the star has fallen off the cliff physically and has become an albatross contract that cannot be moved. Jimmy scares me for that reason only.

There is one thing that scares me about Jimmy and it has nothing to do with his talent. It doesn't even have anything to do with his attitude or age either. Its how many miles those legs have already played.

Most of his career he has played for Thibs who is known for grinding his players into dirt with very heavy minutes. Generally players that have played heavy minutes for Thibs have fallen off the cliff pretty quickly and suddenly. The last thing this team needs it to invest heavily into that star only to realize two years into the 4 year deal that the star has fallen off the cliff physically and has become an albatross contract that cannot be moved. Jimmy scares me for that reason only.
I still stand behind the notion that Thibs was always an overrated coach and a bad hire at Minnesota. With that being said, Jimmy is probably his most talented player ever behind MVP Rose. We saw the clear signs with Deng and Noah before they were even 30. They were completely different circumstances.

Again, there's not much to suggest Jimmy will have a sharp decline.

I don't see Jimmy Butler being a realistic target at all. He wanted to get away from the kids in Minnesota. I don't see him coming here at all.

There's a big difference in the work ethic of the young players on our team and the young players in Minny but I still don't see Jimmy stepping into a situation like this.

I don't see Jimmy Butler being a realistic target at all. He wanted to get away from the kids in Minnesota. I don't see him coming here at all.

There's a big difference in the work ethic of the young players on our team and the young players in Minny but I still don't see Jimmy stepping into a situation like this.
I don't think it was teh case of Jimmy wanting to get away from the kids in Minny. It was more the case that he didn't think those kids were competitive enough or driven enough to get the ultimate. He didn't think they were hungry enough and were happy to cruise along and get paid for doing it. Jimmy is a different beast. A very competitive beast who is insanely driven. There is a bit of Kobe or KG in how Jimmy approaches game of basketball. An insanely competitive person.

Beverly is not that realistic. He is a two way player who was starting for a playoff team. He would not come here to be a bench player. Even if we are willing to overpay, there will be teams which are willing to overpay and offer him the starting job.

Cory Joseph is attainable. If we want a perimeter defender, he is very good (maybe even better than Beverly).

I prefer we go after an all around player, someone like Jeremy Lamb. Lamb is a long combo guard who can run pick and roll (73.6% percentile in efficiency), run in transition (74.6% percentile in efficiency) or be an isolation scorer (57% percentile in efficiency) . He is a very good defensive rebounding guard (career 16.7% defensive rebounding rate, which is pretty good even for a small forward). He is also a decent defender, which Buddy is not. Another bonus thing is that Lamb is a pretty good spot up shooter out to 3pt line.

I wonder what the market for Lamb will be. It should be no less than 10M/year. He is an all around player who is decent at everything while still be a positive defender. The last half of the season, he came off the bench for the Hornets so he maybe ok coming off the bench here.

It would be very nice to have a rotation of Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Lamb.
I like Lamb a lot, but my main issue with him is he's not really all that different of a player than Buddy or Bogi. Good offensive guard, rebounds well, not a good defensive player, not a playmaker. He's sort of a flex guy between the 2/3 because he's so long, but he's better defending 2s than he is 3s. I'd rather invest that money in somewhat like Bojan who's developed into an incredibly effective scorer/shooter.

I don't think it was teh case of Jimmy wanting to get away from the kids in Minny. It was more the case that he didn't think those kids were competitive enough or driven enough to get the ultimate. He didn't think they were hungry enough and were happy to cruise along and get paid for doing it. Jimmy is a different beast. A very competitive beast who is insanely driven. There is a bit of Kobe or KG in how Jimmy approaches game of basketball. An insanely competitive person.
To me, Jimmy is more like KD and KG than Kobe. Kobe was a true alpha dog. KG acted like an alpha dog but still had to team up with other all stars to be successful. KD plays like an alpha dog but like KG, has to team up with other all stars. I think Jimmy is in that second mold where he's not a true leader of a squad. If Kobe was on that Minny team, he would have either whipped those guys into shape or he would have had them traded for guys that were willing to come in and do the work. I was on Jimmy's side about the work ethic with those guys but in the end he just cried about it, acted like an entitled baby and then got his way by being traded to a team with other all stars.

To me, Jimmy is more like KD and KG than Kobe. Kobe was a true alpha dog. KG acted like an alpha dog but still had to team up with other all stars to be successful. KD plays like an alpha dog but like KG, has to team up with other all stars. I think Jimmy is in that second mold where he's not a true leader of a squad. If Kobe was on that Minny team, he would have either whipped those guys into shape or he would have had them traded for guys that were willing to come in and do the work. I was on Jimmy's side about the work ethic with those guys but in the end he just cried about it, acted like an entitled baby and then got his way by being traded to a team with other all stars.
Kobe requested to be traded or threatened to leave the Lakers in the past when they weren't good

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Speaking of cap space, isn't today the deadline for Harrison Barnes to decide his status and what we'll do with him?

I'm surprised nothing has come out about that yet.
Everywhere I've seen says the deadline is 6/29, not today. Which makes sense, usually those sorts of options are set for after the draft and right before the free agency period.

I'd still throw the max at KD--which might be enough post injury. His presumed destination, NY Knicks, are now in a tough spot. They needed KD on the court next year so they could trade for AD and build momentum for an AD extension. That's out the window now. Do they get cute with their contract offer to KD as a result? Kemba is saying he'll take a hometown discount to stay with the Hornets. What exactly is NY's plan? We're about the only market that has a max slot open to sign KD, but also won't have local media/fanbase going nuts about him not being on the court.

What's the risk for us? We miss the playoffs again next year...which would not be fun. However, the worst case scenario for KD is that he ends up being something of a stretch 5 due to lack of mobility. Turns out, that's exactly what we need most with Bagley/Fox/Buddy, so anything beyond that for KD is pure gravy for us.

I'd still throw the max at KD--which might be enough post injury. His presumed destination, NY Knicks, are now in a tough spot. They needed KD on the court next year so they could trade for AD and build momentum for an AD extension. That's out the window now. Do they get cute with their contract offer to KD as a result? Kemba is saying he'll take a hometown discount to stay with the Hornets. What exactly is NY's plan? We're about the only market that has a max slot open to sign KD, but also won't have local media/fanbase going nuts about him not being on the court.

What's the risk for us? We miss the playoffs again next year...which would not be fun. However, the worst case scenario for KD is that he ends up being something of a stretch 5 due to lack of mobility. Turns out, that's exactly what we need most with Bagley/Fox/Buddy, so anything beyond that for KD is pure gravy for us.
He’ll probably pick up his player option and sit out the year and try out free agency next year.

Jimmy Butler. Kings need a two way, Ron-Ron type on this team. During crunch time, the Kings would have Fox, Buddy/Bogi, Jimmy, Harrison, Bags on the floor.

According to Spotrac.com, the Kings will have approximately $34.9 million in cap space to play with this summer, if they release WCS cap hold. The Kings could possibly get more cap space if they opt out of Yogi Ferrell's option. If the Kings decline Yogi's option, they would have an extra 3.1 million to use, total $38 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/2019/

Here is another article about the Kings and the cap:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/willie-cauley-stein-still-option-202715880.html

I'm a big advocate of NOT using all of our cap space to try and sign a "Max" player (i.e. Tobias Harris, Nikola Vucevic, etc.) to a max contract of $140/4 years or $35 million a year. One player would take all of our cap space and we are not one player away from competing for a title. If we could get these players at $25 mil or less, then I would be all for it. BUT, if we needed to give them the Max to sign them, I would pass and look to improve the team overall.

My first priority would be to find a center that helps open up the lane for Fox and Bagley. I would try and find a stretch 5, that can also defend the paint. I would go hard after Brook Lopez at the start of free agency. I would try and sign him to a 3 year $45-48 million ($15-16 million/year) contract ASAP, which would be significantly higher than the MLE that Milwaukee could offer him. He could open up Bagley’s game like he did for Giannis.

Back up plan: WCS, Thomas Bryant or Dwayne Dedmon.

Next, I would look to up grade the backup Point Guard. I would go hard after Patrick Beverly. Offer him a 3 year deal at $8-9 per year, or $24-27 mil/3 year deal. He would give us a 3 and D back up behind Fox. I would probably opt out of Yogi's deal to open up the backup PG minutes and allow him to latch on elsewhere.

Back up plan: Jeremy Lin, Austin Rivers or Yogi Ferrell

Next, I would look for a legit backup swingman to backup Harrison Barnes. I would try for Rodney Hood and offer him a nice contract of $8-9 million a year or $17 million/2 years. He is a good bench scorer of the and has showed some moxy for Portland in the playoffs. Terrance Ross would be an option too, but may be too expensive for a backup SF role. I would re-sign a vet min veteran like Corey Brewer or Shump to fill out the roster.

Back up plan: James Ennis

The rest of the roster would be to bring up Weynen Gabriel and sign our 2nd round picks.

Kings New and deep lineup:

PF: Bagley / Bjelicia / Gabriel
SF: Barnes / Hood / Brewer
C: Lopez / Giles / Swanigan
SG: Buddy / Bogdan
PG: Fox / Beverley / Mason

What would you do with the $35 million cap space this season???
Sign myself to max deal to sit in the end of the bench.

Jimmy Butler. Kings need a two way, Ron-Ron type on this team. During crunch time, the Kings would have Fox, Buddy/Bogi, Jimmy, Harrison, Bags on the floor.
If you can guarantee me that Jimmy Butler can continue playing at an all-star level for 4 years, I am all for it.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of miles in those legs and has played most of his career for Thibs which means, he has a greater wear and tear on his body than your average 30 year old.

Why do people even like Butler? Yea he’s a good player but he’s caused problems for the last two teams he’s played on. Even Embiid had to go public with his frustrations playing alongside him. What about playin time? Whose minutes is he taking?