Hot new George Karl rumor (Merged)

There's people in here that actually want to keep the pick that makes me sick. News flash we won't be able to make a good trade without a 1st we need to get rid of that so we can make trades.

Also meanwhile in orlando they fired there coach but get this skiles/malone/ or Jackson can be coaching there as soon as next week. Can you believe that firing a coach but having a replacement ready before the seasons over.

You guys notice how Orlando called a team meeting to tell everyone about Vaughn being fired, and then just now had a press conference that was shown on NBAtv to discuss the firing.

that's how a professional and competent front office handles something like this.

meanwhile we let our players know via social media and the only peep we here about it from our GM or owner is a small interview after practice with Pete

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
You guys notice how Orlando called a team meeting to tell everyone about Vaughn being fired, and then just now had a press conference that was shown on NBAtv to discuss the firing.

that's how a professional and competent front office handles something like this.

meanwhile we let our players know via social media and the only peep we here about it from our GM or owner is a small interview after practice with Pete
To be fair Orlando has had a LOT of practice at replacing coaches...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
There's people in here that actually want to keep the pick that makes me sick. News flash we won't be able to make a good trade without a 1st we need to get rid of that so we can make trades.

Also meanwhile in orlando they fired there coach but get this skiles/malone/ or Jackson can be coaching there as soon as next week. Can you believe that firing a coach but having a replacement ready before the seasons over.
I understand the people who want the pick. I think they need to understand the bigger picture and I'm not up to explaining it and perhaps incapable of explaining it. Let's not be terribly critical of those who see WCS within range in the draft. It took me awhile to understand this situation.

Talking about Karl just makes me realize how frustrating this season has been.

Early on I figured this team was headed for a .500 season or better. Maybe they fall a bit short of the playoffs or maybe they manage to barely sneak in. Either way, a big improvement and a brighter future and the 12th or 13th pick being conveyed to Chicago is just an afterthought obscured by finally having a competitive team to root for.

Now? I'm honestly conflicted about whether or not it's even worth trying to salvage this season. I lean that way simply because I want Cousins to feel things are moving in the right direction as opposed to constant chaos and bad moves. But the move to hire Karl should have happened December 16th, not after the all-star game. Maybe Towns or Okafor or Mudiay or Turner or Russell etc are the draft pick that turn the Kings around. I'm just tired of counting on the lottery to save the Kings.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Oh, THIS will be the year that the Kings package their coveted draft pick and trade for a solid veteran that addresses team needs they've had for a decade?

Nope - not buying into that hope. I've seen this play far too often (just like the 1-4 flat) and I know they'll miss the shot (actually, not take it).

If the rumors were true, there were chances in previous years to pick up Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry and many others with our draft picks the past decade, and the Kings did NOTHING with it. (Oh, except trade down and give up their starting PG for John f-ing Salmons part deux).

I am not down with giving them another lost half of a season on the hope that this front office will do anything with the pick, unless it's a Top 3 one. And what are the chances of that? 8-14% chance?
What's the % chance that this FO will want to keep the pick, get their focus groups together, huddle together in their war room, and blow this pick just like last years?
Anyone think it's less than 8-15% chance?
To be fair, most of the moves you're referencing came under Petrie's regime and Geoff never trades his draft picks for veterans, or at least I can't remember it happening. The trade he did make was about saving money and targeting another undersized shooter with a lower pick. This front office has talked about it two years in a row but (1) they really liked McLemore and he was available with our pick (2) nobody was going to give you much for the #8 pick in last year's draft -- Nik Stauskas probably wouldn't even crack the top 14 this year. You don't just announce to the world you want to trade your pick and expect to field a range of offers. People will give something up for that pick only if they see a player they really want.

I am going to back you up not that you would ever think it is necessary. The players aren't tanking or at least I doubt it. They are beaten down by a FO that is lost. What good would another high draft pick do us? High draft picks are supposed to end up being stars. Not only doesn't it happen at an alarming rate, the Kings already have stars. Also, most high picks take a few years to evolve. I doubt if we can wait. The Kings should be fighting for what they have. They should be doing what Cuz seems to live and die for and that is winning. Any other approach is to turn your back on our stud. This increases the chance he turns his back on us although I am not as pessimistic as Brick. Why take a chance, though?
DeMarcus Cousins -- 5th pick
Rudy Gay -- 8th pick
Ben McLemore -- 7th pick
Jason Thompson -- 12th pick
Darren Collison -- 21st pick
Omri Casspi -- 23rd pick

Every player on our team who actually contributes was a first round pick. Forget about the perception of high draft picks for a minute (even though the only 3 guys on the team who could conceivably be called stars were high picks) -- a first round pick represents a chance to add a valuable player. We're not talking about tanking for lottery position here, or at least I'm not. I'm talking about the possibility of losing our chance to draft anybody over the hope that a new coach might have a positive impact over 35 games that carries into next season. Whatever Karl is going to do now, he can do at the end of April instead and with a more talented team. Could we draft a bust? Sure, it's always a possibility. But we could also draft another star or at least another rotation player. Finishing out the season and keeping our pick at least means this horrible season produced something positive. Changing course yet again would mean we all suffered through the past 2 months of unwatchable basketball for literally no reason at all.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
To be fair, most of the moves you're referencing came under Petrie's regime and Geoff never trades his draft picks for veterans, or at least I can't remember it happening. The trade he did make was about saving money and targeting another undersized shooter with a lower pick. This front office has talked about it two years in a row but (1) they really liked McLemore and he was available with our pick (2) nobody was going to give you much for the #8 pick in last year's draft -- Nik Stauskas probably wouldn't even crack the top 14 this year. You don't just announce to the world you want to trade your pick and expect to field a range of offers. People will give something up for that pick only if they see a player they really want.

DeMarcus Cousins -- 5th pick
Rudy Gay -- 8th pick
Ben McLemore -- 7th pick
Jason Thompson -- 12th pick
Darren Collison -- 21st pick
Omri Casspi -- 23rd pick

Every player on our team who actually contributes was a first round pick. Forget about the perception of high draft picks for a minute (even though the only 3 guys on the team who could conceivably be called stars were high picks) -- a first round pick represents a chance to add a valuable player. We're not talking about tanking for lottery position here, or at least I'm not. I'm talking about the possibility of losing our chance to draft anybody over the hope that a new coach might have a positive impact over 35 games that carries into next season. Whatever Karl is going to do now, he can do at the end of April instead and with a more talented team. Could we draft a bust? Sure, it's always a possibility. But we could also draft another star or at least another rotation player. Finishing out the season and keeping our pick at least means this horrible season produced something positive. Changing course yet again would mean we all suffered through the past 2 months of unwatchable basketball for literally no reason at all.
I have gotten nothing positive out of the last two months no matter what happens. I am not sure changing course will do anything for those lost months. I think getting a decent coach will give hope to the fans, it will sell tickets, and best yet, it will give hope to the players. We could even trash the rest of the season and get a draft pick and keep our major players on board and not looking for the first chance to have a career with another team. Just get a coach.

All I can speak about with absolute knowledge of its truth is that I have no faith in this FO and fear we will go nowhere. I would feel much better if someone like Karl was signed.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing..

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I have gotten nothing positive out of the last two months no matter what happens. I am not sure changing course will do anything for those lost months. I think getting a decent coach will give hope to the fans, it will sell tickets, and best yet, it will give hope to the players. We could even trash the rest of the season and get a draft pick and keep our major players on board and not looking for the first chance to have a career with another team. Just get a coach.

All I can speak about with absolute knowledge of its truth is that I have no faith in this FO and fear we will go nowhere. I would feel much better if someone like Karl was signed.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing..
Probably we're just mis-communicating our ideas a bit :) I do think we need to do something decisive. I'd be fine with signing an agreement with Karl to be our coach next season and maybe getting the players on board with some of the schemes they'll be working on next year. I don't think there's any value toward putting together a push to win games and get the fans back at this point though. Fans will come if the team wins period and you need talent to win. I didn't want to tank this season either, our front office did. So this of course would be the perfect time for them to screw that up too and once again remind everyone of their complete incompetence. :)

Probably we're just mis-communicating our ideas a bit :) I do think we need to do something decisive. I'd be fine with signing an agreement with Karl to be our coach next season and maybe getting the players on board with some of the schemes they'll be working on next year. I don't think there's any value toward putting together a push to win games and get the fans back at this point though. Fans will come if the team wins period and you need talent to win. I didn't want to tank this season either, our front office did. So this of course would be the perfect time for them to screw that up too and once again remind everyone of their complete incompetence. :)
But they didn't want to tank. Not at all.

What are you basing that on? Cause corbin is playing the starters larger and larger minutes.

That's not what a tanking team does. We saw what a late season tank looked like last year, and it involved Ray Mccallum playing 45 mpg while dumping Jimmer and milking an IT injury. They stripped the team down to Ben and Ray and somebody (can't even remember) as the only guards. That was a classic late season modified tank.

Playing demarcus, dmc, Ben, and Rudy all more than 36 mins in a game that was a blowout almost from the opening tip is nothing like what a tanking team does.

Talking about Karl just makes me realize how frustrating this season has been.

Early on I figured this team was headed for a .500 season or better. Maybe they fall a bit short of the playoffs or maybe they manage to barely sneak in. Either way, a big improvement and a brighter future and the 12th or 13th pick being conveyed to Chicago is just an afterthought obscured by finally having a competitive team to root for.

Now? I'm honestly conflicted about whether or not it's even worth trying to salvage this season. I lean that way simply because I want Cousins to feel things are moving in the right direction as opposed to constant chaos and bad moves. But the move to hire Karl should have happened December 16th, not after the all-star game. Maybe Towns or Okafor or Mudiay or Turner or Russell etc are the draft pick that turn the Kings around. I'm just tired of counting on the lottery to save the Kings.

the season is definitely gone but it would be nice to get a permanent coach in here so he can use the final 30+ games to get the culture changed and get his system in place. also give the players a sense of hope.

better to get the process started now than in training camp next year

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Bingo! ;)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
But they didn't want to tank. Not at all.

What are you basing that on? Cause corbin is playing the starters larger and larger minutes.

That's not what a tanking team does. We saw what a late season tank looked like last year, and it involved Ray Mccallum playing 45 mpg while dumping Jimmer and milking an IT injury. They stripped the team down to Ben and Ray and somebody (can't even remember) as the only guards. That was a classic late season modified tank.

Playing demarcus, dmc, Ben, and Rudy all more than 36 mins in a game that was a blowout almost from the opening tip is nothing like what a tanking team does.
I think the idea the FO may want to tank is a guess and personally I don't care if they want to tank or not. Seems like with Corbin as a coach, we will achieve the tank. If I was part of the FO, I would fire Malone and replace him with Corbin and that would be how I would tank. Maybe periodically I would order Corbin to start Williams. ;) Factor in also that some of the team may be giving up. Hell, I don't know. Gack!

I think the idea the FO may want to tank is a guess and personally I don't care if they want to tank or not. Seems like with Corbin as a coach, we will achieve the tank. If I was part of the FO, I would fire Malone and replace him with Corbin and that would be how I would tank. Maybe periodically I would order Corbin to start Williams. ;) Factor in also that some of the team may be giving up. Hell, I don't know. Gack!
I think D'Alessandro/Mullin/Ranadive honestly believed that Malone was hurting the team more than helping and that the Kings would be much better after he was fired. It was just the sense I got from D'Alessandro at KHTK. He really struck me as the type of GM that overvalues his own players.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think D'Alessandro/Mullin/Ranadive honestly believed that Malone was hurting the team more than helping and that the Kings would be much better after he was fired. It was just the sense I got from D'Alessandro at KHTK. He really struck me as the type of GM that overvalues his own players.
I was just facetiously mapping out how I would construct a tank. :) I think they were sincere and ignorant.

George Karl @CoachKarl22 · 8m minutes ago
Noticing some new followers from Orlando area......
Here's why I've never thought the Kings were going to hire George Karl. Because if you're going to hire the guy you do it immediately. You don't wait two months and assume he'll still be waiting by the phone for your call. Because whether it was Orlando or New Orleans or even possibly Chicago SOMEBODY was going to fire their head coach and Karl would immediately be on their short list.

I just don't see it. I'd be fine with being wrong, but I don't.

And quite honestly even if the Kings did hire Karl I'd be really upset that they waited so long. This whole season has just been a complete cluster****.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Here's why I've never thought the Kings were going to hire George Karl. Because if you're going to hire the guy you do it immediately. You don't wait two months and assume he'll still be waiting by the phone for your call. Because whether it was Orlando or New Orleans or even possibly Chicago SOMEBODY was going to fire their head coach and Karl would immediately be on their short list.

I just don't see it. I'd be fine with being wrong, but I don't.

And quite honestly even if the Kings did hire Karl I'd be really upset that they waited so long. This whole season has just been a complete cluster****.
Indeed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
George Karl @CoachKarl22 · 8m minutes ago
Noticing some new followers from Orlando area......
Yeah see...one of those reasons I still to this day have Karl reservations. He's so very very out there and in your face. Social media, chatting, mugging, openly politicking. And he does it with players too. I think Malone had it right with Boogie -- a behind the scenes alliance/friendship.

J

jdbraver

Hire Karl now. Show you are dedicated to building chemistry and winning and I will renew. Continue w no plan or the tanking plan and I will wish u well filling the seats

bajaden

Hall of Famer

There are three ways to build a team. Through trades, freeagency, and the draft. All are important, and if I may point out, just about every player in the NBA was drafted. Cousins, our best player, was drafted, and had we traded that pick away for a good journeyman player, we wouldn't have Cousins today. If we truly had a chance to make the playoffs, I'd be all over it. But that chance, regardless of who the coach is, is close to zero. That said, then what is the point of winning just enough games to lose the pick. That is a zero sum game. After next year, the pick becomes a 2nd round pick, so it's not like this goes on into infinity.