Hill To Cavaliers per Woj

People didn't believe me when I said we were going to dump Hill's salary..and we just did. People were delusional to expect more than a 1st round pick. Hill has not been playing good. He's not happy here.. and he's on the books for 20million next year. We have a franchise PG in the wings with 2 starting SGs already on the roster. There's no reason why we should've kept George Hill.
Yea i didn’t need to be “blown away” in order to be happy with getting him outta here. He has been AWFUL for most of the season

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe i didn't use the right word, or i didnt' understand salary dump how i should. But we free up our cap space for 10m for next season , right?
Yes, you used the phrase correctly. Perhaps you misunderstood my comment. I was saying that there's not much outside of the salary dump to actually like about this trade.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Any chance Shumpert turns down the player option?
I doubt it. Do you think he can get an $11M deal on the market over the summer? He has only played 14 games this year and is now battling plantar fascitis. I dunno, maybe he gets healthy and thinks he can make a splash in free agency, but I don't see it happening.

I doubt it. Do you think he can get an $11M deal on the market over the summer? He has only played 14 games this year and is now battling plantar fascitis. I dunno, maybe he gets healthy and thinks he can make a splash in free agency, but I don't see it happening.
I don't know why but I'm hoping he pulls a Jason Terry and just refuses to come and sits at home for a year-and-a-half.

Maybe Shumpert does a Rudy Gay and opts out to get out, at any costs! :eek:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Langston Galloway opted out and got 18MM guaranteed. Stranger things have happened.

It's a flat cap era and there projects to be very few teams with cap space this summer and the ones that do will have huge cap holds. The Kings will be in a precarious situation because it's likely Iman, Temple, or Koufos will be earning less next year in whatever deal they sign even if they make more in the long term. It might be dirty to some people but the next step is to bury them all so deep on the bench that they are forced to opt out otherwise be faced with the potential of another full year on the bench where they might be forgotten entirely.

Yes, you used the phrase correctly. Perhaps you misunderstood my comment. I was saying that there's not much outside of the salary dump to actually like about this trade.
Oh, i understand now. I missunderstood your post before. I guess considering all the facts about Hill being unhappy, with large and long (for some standards) contract, Kings didn't have a lot offers for him, and other teams knew it, so as we here. But if we use that salary space for a good contract in the summer, this will be a great trade in my opinion.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
They made the mistake of picking up his option early. They wanted Malachi's deal off the books this summer as they scrape for whatever money they can find. Being able to dump some of Zbos deal in the next 20 minutes would be terrific.
The rookie deals are set up so that each option year comes during like October of the year before. Those options are super-early, and teams typically pick them up because they can't see that far down the road. A player has to be really bad to have his option declined while there is still an active year on his contract.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The rookie deals are set up so that each option year comes during like October of the year before. Those options are super-early, and teams typically pick them up because they can't see that far down the road. A player has to be really bad to have his option declined while there is still an active year on his contract.
They were overloaded on the wing already and it's not like he got a chance to do much on the court behind Buddy, Temple, Bogdan, Carter, and Hill. It kind of makes it look like the Kings don't have a real set long term plan TBH.

Disappointment

Must be the trade deadline

Honestly though, we weren’t holding any cards with Hill so a salary dump was the best we could hope for. Didn’t expect any value like a first rounder or prospect.

He played poorly, he still has injury problems, and he makes more than even Good George Hill should make for a couple more seasons.

Joerger has more vets to play though.

(This is the the real TheJamal btw, my other account for some reason wouldn't let me sign up to the new site?)

Torn a bit here. On one hand, getting rid of Hill is definitely an addition by subtraction for our young guards and finally puts the ball squarely in the hands of Fox/Bogs/Hield. As it should have been all along. On the other, getting rid of a historically above-average starter for the ghost of Iman Shumpert AND a young cost-controlled prospect for 9 mil in cap this summer reeks of a dumb classic Vlade cap move.

It's kind of hard for me to believe that we wouldn't have been able to flip Hill for something we could actually use this summer. Sounds like we're stupidly setting ourselves up for disappointment when we lose in the FA market.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Ditching last year's bad contract to make room for next year's bad contracts, eh?

Bad fits are bad contracts. If they go out and blow $$$ on a PG or another position or player that provides no real on court need then it's a waste. What it does do is provide the opportunity to take on another bad contract with assets attached. I highly doubt the Kings are targeting anyone this summer otherwise they never would have blown up their cap with Hill and Zbo's deals.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So, assuming that there aren't any surprises on the horizon, here are the money totals for the trade deadline for the Kings:

2017-2018: Including the reported $3.2M included to us and pro-rating all contracts, we save $2.57M (perhaps more if the rumored Johnson buyout is not for full-dollar value of the contract)
2018-2019: Assuming Shumpert does not opt out, we save $9.5M. If somehow Shumpert does opt out we save $20.6M.
2019-2020: Assuming we would otherwise have kept Malachi, but not Hill, we save $3.58M.

Total savings: $15.65M (Could be $26.75M if Shumpert opts out).

And we got a 2020 second round draft pick.

And we cleared up some playing time for the kids in the backcourt.

So, assuming that there aren't any surprises on the horizon, here are the money totals for the trade deadline for the Kings:

2017-2018: Including the reported $3.2M included to us and pro-rating all contracts, we save $2.57M (perhaps more if the rumored Johnson buyout is not for full-dollar value of the contract)
2018-2019: Assuming Shumpert does not opt out, we save $9.5M. If somehow Shumpert does opt out we save $20.6M.
2019-2020: Assuming we would otherwise have kept Malachi, but not Hill, we save $3.58M.

Total savings: $15.65M (Could be $26.75M if Shumpert opts out).

And we got a 2020 second round draft pick.

And we cleared up some playing time for the kids in the backcourt.
Felt A lot better about this after I saw this too:

[B]Bobby Marks[/B]‏Verified account @[B]BobbyMarks42[/B] 2h2 hours ago
More
Sacramento now joins a small group of teams with cap space for the summer of 2018. Shedding the George Hill contract now has Sacramento with $24M in room that could increase to $40M if Iman Shumpert and Garrett Temple opt-out of their contract.... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0753324876772678680-4 …

That 24 Mil can put a ton of pressure on some really good RFA and we basically split the Hill contract into far more moveable expirings next year with Shump/Kosta/Temple all in the 8-11 mil range rather than the 19 we owed Hill.

Jusuf Nurkic
Julius Randle
Rodney Hood
Jabari Parker

I think these 4 should 100% be on our radar. None of these teams really want to break the bank for any of these guys and all could come in and be impact players for us.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm absolutely sickened.

Every single person in the known universe knows no one that matters is coming here. So essentially we've opened up room for George Hill and Zack Randolph 2.0.

Oh but we got a second rounder? Yay, can't wait for Isaiah Cousins 2.0

My back is broken. I'm done here. I can't take this franchise's incompetence any longer. I'm just done. I hope Mali blows up in Toronto.

Felt A lot better about this after I saw this too:

[B]Bobby Marks[/B]‏Verified account @[B]BobbyMarks42[/B] 2h2 hours ago
More
Sacramento now joins a small group of teams with cap space for the summer of 2018. Shedding the George Hill contract now has Sacramento with $24M in room that could increase to $40M if Iman Shumpert and Garrett Temple opt-out of their contract.... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0753324876772678680-4 …

That 24 Mil can put a ton of pressure on some really good RFA and we basically split the Hill contract into far more moveable expirings next year with Shump/Kosta/Temple all in the 8-11 mil range rather than the 19 we owed Hill.

Jusuf Nurkic
Julius Randle
Rodney Hood
Jabari Parker

I think these 4 should 100% be on our radar. None of these teams really want to break the bank for any of these guys and all could come in and be impact players for us.
Why did we give Zach that 2nd year?

I'm absolutely sickened.

Every single person in the known universe knows no one that matters is coming here. So essentially we've opened up room for George Hill and Zack Randolph 2.0.

Oh but we got a second rounder? Yay, can't wait for Isaiah Cousins 2.0

My back is broken. I'm done here. I can't take this franchise's incompetence any longer. I'm just done. I hope Mali blows up in Toronto.
Thing is, if guys want money this off-season, they're going to have consider some dumpster-fire franchises that have the money this off-season. Pretty much half the league is broke and unless teams want to go heavy into the luxury tax (which unless you're the Warriors or Cavs who print money, most teams don't) they're not going to be able to afford to keep a lot of these guys.