Harry Giles thread back on track ;)

Harry's NBA Ceiling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Giles needs the PT in Stockton to develop his game and get over any mental barriers about his knees.

He will be able to play starter minutes for extended games. I think after the trade deadline, that KK will either be traded or “rested” to allow players like Giles and Skal a good run to see what we really have for next year.

Until the trade deadline, Stockton may be the best place for Harry to work on his game and body. Remember he hasn’t played any real basketball for almost 3 years. Nobody sit out 2-3 years from competitive basketball and steps in and play big minutes in the NBA, you need to earn it. It’s going to take time for him to get up to speed, but once he does, he will be a solid rotation player.

Harry 5-6 on 3 point attempts in Stockton and yet Joeger puts handcuffs on him to not shoot 3’s. Perhaps the problem is Joerger and how he plays Harry and not Harry. Oh and for those who say the coach has us in the playoff race so did Thibs last year and does anyone think Thibs used Bjelica well?
I really think we need to stop second guessing Dave, and let Harry get his reps in Stockton. With the huge depth we have upfront, the team fighting for a PO spot for the first time in forever, and his propensity to pick fouls, he is not going to get much playing time with the main team. Let him earn his chops in Stockton, where he can not only get regular minutes, but where he'll also have lot more freedom to try out different things, and not be scared of making mistakes.

Point about Thibs and Bjelica is well taken. However, please also remember that Bjelica was a 29 years old player with significant international experience and even some NBA experience at that time. Giles is a 20 years rookie, who has played virtually no competitive basketball for close to 3 years. We need to have some trust in Dave, and patience with Giles.

Ya'll probably don't want to hear this, but keep it in mind that Harry is playing in G league showcase games while the Kings are shorthanded.

Maybe it's nothing. I like Giles as much as the next guy, but I can't bury my head in the sand on this coincidence.
Exactly, I know one GM who didn’t send a player because he didn’t want him broadly seen and requested in trades. Kings want a SF and Harry is being shopped.

I think we will grow to regret it but we shall see.

Last edited:
I really think we need to stop second guessing Dave, and let Harry get his reps in Stockton. With the huge depth we have upfront, the team fighting for a PO spot for the first time in forever, and his propensity to pick fouls, he is not going to get much playing time with the main team. Let him earn his chops in Stockton, where he can not only get regular minutes, but where he'll also have lot more freedom to try out different things, and not be scared of making mistakes.

Point about Thibs and Bjelica is well taken. However, please also remember that Bjelica was a 29 years old player with significant international experience and even some NBA experience at that time. Giles is a 20 years rookie, who has played virtually no competitive basketball for close to 3 years. We need to have some trust in Dave, and patience with Giles.
If we were having patience with Giles he wouldn’t be at the showcase.

All I want to know is why Joeger hasn’t run a single pick and pop with Giles all year when he buries 3 of them in this 20 minutes of play time.

Exactly, I know one GM who didn’t send a player because he didn’t want him broadly seen and requested in trades. Kings want a SF and Harry is being shopped.

I think we will grow to regret it but we shall see.
We moved our G-league team to Stockton for a reason. So our young players could get some run and get back with the team quick and easy. I don't think we are looking to trade Giles, if we are I hope it's for a hell of a talent, but i still doubt that. I don't think he stock as grown enough to where the Kings should consider a trade with him involved.

We moved our G-league team to Stockton for a reason. So our young players could get some run and get back with the team quick and easy. I don't think we are looking to trade Giles, if we are I hope it's for a hell of a talent, but i still doubt that. I don't think he stock as grown enough to where the Kings should consider a trade with him involved.
You do know the last two games were not in Stockton and were in Vegas at the showcase. The purpose of the showcase is to provide visibility to players for the league. All teams send personal and each team plays a couple games.

You do know the last two games were not in Stockton and were in Vegas at the showcase. The purpose of the showcase is to provide visibility to players for the league. All teams send personal and each team plays a couple games.
His move coincided with my belief that Skal supplanted him in the rotation after the Wolves game

Currently Giles doesn’t play NBA defense (hence why I posted a week or two back he had the worst defensive fg % as noted by CBS power rankings), rebound, move athletically or really think the game. He’s also shying away from contact

He does have innate passing, vision and shooting touch it looks. We can assume he gains more confidence and muscle in his physique. Kid is skilled, but not ready now. He hasn’t played much hoop and still raw.

Last edited:
I did not. Thank you for sharing that info.

I would think however there are plenty of scouts, and especially in case of Giles to know what he could do anywhere he goes. Although I can see how it could be easier for higher personnel in the FOs to see him/them.

I think that all wrong. Bagley at center and Giles at pf looks more appealing. With their styles and strengths
I think right now Bagley is a center as well. With some minutes at the 4 as needed and as he expands his game. The problem arises if the FO realizes this, but still see Harry as a center only. If there is doubt about Harry's strength to handle playing defense against 5s, and lateral quickness against 4s, then the Kings are in a dilemma.

We saw the problem when the Kings initially tried to play both Bagley and Giles together in the early going. Disaster on defense. So if the Kings are trying to make the playoffs, but can't play those 2 guys at the same time, then there is a roster fit issue and one guy gets cut out.

Now you have this talented player in Giles who is going to put up 30pts each night in the G league because he's too good, but can't get on the court for his NBA squad. That's why I think if the right offer came in, Giles gets traded.

If some of your gut feelings are right about Giles, I’m going to be a very pissed off fan despite the good record.

They didn’t spend an entire season hyping this kid just to ship him off.
It all depends what they can get for him I would think. Don't get me wrong, my heart is with Giles. I have been hoping and dreaming of him killing it for us.

I think right now Bagley is a center as well. With some minutes at the 4 as needed and as he expands his game. The problem arises if the FO realizes this, but still see Harry as a center only. If there is doubt about Harry's strength to handle playing defense against 5s, and lateral quickness against 4s, then the Kings are in a dilemma.

We saw the problem when the Kings initially tried to play both Bagley and Giles together in the early going. Disaster on defense. So if the Kings are trying to make the playoffs, but can't play those 2 guys at the same time, then there is a roster fit issue and one guy gets cut out.

Now you have this talented player in Giles who is going to put up 30pts each night in the G league because he's too good, but can't get on the court for his NBA squad. That's why I think if the right offer came in, Giles gets traded.
He could be on the trade block but they could have sent him down just as easily because they knew the Stockton team would be playing a handful of games in a short amount of time. That way he could just pop down there for a few days and get a few games under his belt and then get recalled back up and get valuable practice time with the guys hes going to play with.

All I want to know is why Joeger hasn’t run a single pick and pop with Giles all year when he buries 3 of them in this 20 minutes of play time.

As I said in my previous post, on this point I agree. Why Dave has not utlized him in this way, I don't know. Perhaps this is a recent addition to his arsenal, or he has not hit it very consistently in practice. Or it may just be an oversight/mistake on the part of the staff, or something else. His shot certainly looks pure, and he's letting it fly with confidence. Hopefully the coaching staff designs some plays to get him these shots.

He could be on the trade block but they could have sent him down just as easily because they knew the Stockton team would be playing a handful of games in a short amount of time. That way he could just pop down there for a few days and get a few games under his belt and then get recalled back up and get valuable practice time with the guys hes going to play with.
Possibly. I don't think playing with Stockton makes him better. It may keep his conditioning up and keep him from being rusty. He needs competition against NBA players to actually improve. So I don't know. If you can play him 10 minutes in an NBA game, I think it's more valuable to his development. Kings had an opportunity to give him those valuable minutes.

Possibly. I don't think playing with Stockton makes him better. It may keep his conditioning up and keep him from being rusty. He needs competition against NBA players to actually improve. So I don't know. If you can play him 10 minutes in an NBA game, I think it's more valuable to his development. Kings had an opportunity to give him those valuable minutes.
I disagree with this. Getting a sense of rhythm and timing in the context of a timed competitive game, even in the G-league, can transfer to a better level of play (even in shorter minutes) in a higher level game. You develop neither of those senses getting 10 minutes in an NBA game, particularly if it's garbage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.