Harry Giles Not On Summer League Roster

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I just don't know the value for either Giles or Bagley playing in the summer league.

More than anything, I want to see a much slimmed down Swan doing his thing. There's just no excuse for the weight he had in the regular season. The Kings need to get him on a Pat Riley body fat regiment so they can legitimately have him as an asset going forward.
I’m fine with Swan being chunky as long as he’s comfortable and mobile while doing it. He moved reasonably well for his size last season and is really more of a small 5 than he is a 4 anyways

What is there for him to gain from playing in Summer League? Most third year guys don’t play (aside from Frank Mason who is fighting for his roster spot) in summer league and I would rather use the time to see how Biggie Swanigan and Wenyen have progressed than to see Harry destroy random dudes auditioning for the D-league.

That would have been fun no doubt but I would ups rather see him healthy in the regular season than playing Summer League
Agreed. I would have BEEN surprised if giles played. Plus as reckless as it get in there at times id rather we didnt push him out there either.

I'm curious if there's some "load management" strategy at play here. Major injury and a long season so maybe they are simply limiting his exposure to live action and playing the really long game with his health.

Entity

Hall of Famer
This is the reason I don’t think Harry is a long term solution as a starter. I hope I’m wrong. But I think it serves the Kings well to have him as a 6th man getting 25 min a game. With two bad knees I just don’t want to depend on him going forward

I see it as this past season being Giles big test and an opportunity for him to build strength. This was the most Giles has played in a long time and the fact that it was coming off of knee rehab from multiple surgeries warrants ample rest time. It is not hard to understand why the Kings would prefer rest for Giles over SL play.

Keep in mind that Durant just blew out his achilles because management hastily cleared him to play. Going forward I would think that those who are in charge of players whose health is potentially compromised will air on the side of caution.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just have a general philosophical question to the board (not rhetorical): What value is the summer league?

For a guy like Swan I can see the value in playing the max minutes allowed so he can get in shape.
For the 2nd round picks I can see the value for them getting their feet wet in their introduction to a professional league.
I can also see value in Kings' management being able to see what they have or don't have in these second round picks.

It's hard, however, for me to see how the summer league actually improves the game of a 2nd year guy on the Kings' roster, especially when that player is playing with mostly players he's not going to play with in the big leagues. Is Giles going to actually get better playing in the summer league, or is his time better spent on just working with a skills coach on what he needs to do on the Kings' team next year? Same for Bagley. There are opportunity costs: for all the time spent in the summer league, there's the time that could otherwise be spent on something else that could improve their games even more.

Remember, he did wear down toward the end of the year.
I'm not sure that's the case. I think Harry was just getting his sea legs when he got hurt, and then they kept him out due to an "abundance of caution."
I know they are going to be super cautious with him, but come on! Either he's healthy enough to play or he isn't. I choose to believe he was healthy enough to play and should have played.

I just have a general philosophical question to the board (not rhetorical): What value is the summer league?

For a guy like Swan I can see the value in playing the max minutes allowed so he can get in shape.
For the 2nd round picks I can see the value for them getting their feet wet in their introduction to a professional league.
I can also see value in Kings' management being able to see what they have or don't have in these second round picks.

It's hard, however, for me to see how the summer league actually improves the game of a 2nd year guy on the Kings' roster, especially when that player is playing with mostly players he's not going to play with in the big leagues. Is Giles going to actually get better playing in the summer league, or is his time better spent on just working with a skills coach on what he needs to do on the Kings' team next year? Same for Bagley. There are opportunity costs: for all the time spent in the summer league, there's the time that could otherwise be spent on something else that could improve their games even more.
Honestly, for me... my complaint is about value for the ticket buying fans who want to watch interesting basketball. I'm annoyed that they won't give Harry a few minutes as a cameo... so I can watch him play a little for the bucks I paid.

I know there is probably legit basketball development work going on, but to me it is just an exhibition for three days - and I would like it better if Giles was gonna even just do the layup line and play 12 minutes or something to show off.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

Yeah, I don't get too excited over who does and doesn't play in Summer League once they've had a year or two under their belts. After a year of rehab and a year of being on the team and playing, SL games don't mean anything to Giles.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Honestly, for me... my complaint is about value for the ticket buying fans who want to watch interesting basketball. I'm annoyed that they won't give Harry a few minutes as a cameo... so I can watch him play a little for the bucks I paid.

I know there is probably legit basketball development work going on, but to me it is just an exhibition for three days - and I would like it better if Giles was gonna even just do the layup line and play 12 minutes or something to show off.
I think that is the only reason Marvin is playing - give the fans a little something. I'm going to Day 1 just to watch the new guys run up and down the floor and throw the ball into the stands. Last thing we need is an injury to one of the young guns in a meaningless game. They are for checking out the new kids, not the knowns we already have.

That's just not good if that's the case. Vlade and the coaching staff just have to get him to get in shape. Either that or cut him and get it over with.
I mean, hasn't anyone gone up to him and been like "Caleb, look...you're pretty fat for an NBA player. Stop eating and lose the weight or you won't be in the league for much longer".

Hell, maybe they have and he just doesn't give a crap. Lord knows if I was trying to show off my skills for millions of dollars you can bet your ass I'd be strapped to a treadmill.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Fair enough.