Harry Giles Not On Summer League Roster

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What is there for him to gain from playing in Summer League? Most third year guys don’t play (aside from Frank Mason who is fighting for his roster spot) in summer league and I would rather use the time to see how Biggie Swanigan and Wenyen have progressed than to see Harry destroy random dudes auditioning for the D-league.

That would have been fun no doubt but I would ups rather see him healthy in the regular season than playing Summer League

What is there for him to gain from playing in Summer League? Most third year guys don’t play (aside from Frank Mason who is fighting for his roster spot) in summer league and I would rather use the time to see how Biggie Swanigan and Wenyen have progressed than to see Harry destroy random dudes auditioning for the D-league.

That would have been fun no doubt but I would ups rather see him healthy in the regular season than playing Summer League
Well it's his 2nd year playing. Bagley played well in his rookie year, much better than Giles while also being considered one of our franchise cornerstones, yet he's in the SL(although probbaly not a lot of PT). I think this does raise concerns. Either:

a) he's still not fully healthy from the thigh injury from March 21
b) he's going to be part of a trade

I think it's most likely A more than anything. However, for a thigh injury to still be affecting you 3 months later, that gives cause for some concerns. If the Kings are just trying to be careful, it also gives some concerns about his overall health. SL is pointless, but just the fact that they'd be worried about anything isn't all that reassuring.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
a) he's still not fully healthy from the thigh injury from March 21
b) he's going to be part of a trade
Or c) None of the above

So he's not hurt, and you gotta believe if they're dangling him as trade bait the coaching staff isn't coming out and saying it this afternoon. Most likely they don't feel he needs it. Keep in mind that Bagley will almost certainly only play in Sacramento for the local fans. The Kings are going to want to look hard at James and Guy, and I'm sure also give Swanigan and Mason a chance to show where their game is at. Bagley and Giles in that mix would just steal the limelight at this point.

Or c) None of the above

So he's not hurt, and you gotta believe if they're dangling him as trade bait the coaching staff isn't coming out and saying it this afternoon. Most likely they don't feel he needs it. Keep in mind that Bagley will almost certainly only play in Sacramento for the local fans. The Kings are going to want to look hard at James and Guy, and I'm sure also give Swanigan and Mason a chance to show where their game is at. Bagley and Giles in that mix would just steal the limelight at this point.
That's such a reasonable explanation. It must be wrong!

Remember, he did wear down toward the end of the year. This is probably just precautionary. On side note I love seeing Brandon Ashley on the team! Hopefully that means Brandon gets a shot to play major minutes. Dude has lockdown potential as a switch defender.

I don't know what I hate worse - if he's made of glass and they are putting him in bubble wrap, or they are shopping him. I'm starting to worry about my mini-Webber and I will have to endure "I told you so" from haters if Giles is just too damaged to hold up physically.

Or c) None of the above

I guess I understand the whole Bagley angle as the Kings probably also want to push his popularity among the fanbase. For some reason, he just doesn't really seem that popular. It could be the whole Doncic draft angle, but still, I would put him #5 behind Fox, Buddy, Giles, and Bogdan. Bogdan gets a lot of hate, but he also gets a lot of support. Bagley is kinda... just there.

I hope you're right about this though.

I don't know what I hate worse - if he's made of glass and they are putting him in bubble wrap, or they are shopping him. I'm starting to worry about my mini-Webber and I will have to endure "I told you so" from haters if Giles is just too damaged to hold up physically.
I think part of it might be figuring out what the acceptable load is from him on a game to game standpoint. With knees it's always a question of what happens to be too much. Like with Webber, the games were fine, but he needed so many days after a game to let the swelling go down IIRC. That meant he couldn't practice or do certain things when it came to his off days. Giles will be entering a whole new test when it comes to adding size alone.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If there’s any benefit for Harry skipping summer league, it’s that we get to see more of Big Swan, who was the only good part of Joerger intentionally throwing that game against the Blazers to end the season

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't know the value for either Giles or Bagley playing in the summer league.

More than anything, I want to see a much slimmed down Swan doing his thing. There's just no excuse for the weight he had in the regular season. The Kings need to get him on a Pat Riley body fat regiment so they can legitimately have him as an asset going forward.

That's disappointing. I think Giles needs to play SL much more than Bagley does. He's way more raw and could use the work.

Who are they trying to get a look at? Swanigan is not an NBA player. The rest of the guys are just Stockton prospects.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I just don't know the value for either Giles or Bagley playing in the summer league.

More than anything, I want to see a much slimmed down Swan doing his thing. There's just no excuse for the weight he had in the regular season. The Kings need to get him on a Pat Riley body fat regiment so they can legitimately have him as an asset going forward.
Based on a Jason Anderson tweet showing video of the Kings shooting at practice, Swanigan looks big. To be fair, it’s a short clip and he’s in the background but he looks big.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Based on a Jason Anderson tweet showing video of the Kings shooting at practice, Swanigan looks big. To be fair, it’s a short clip and he’s in the background but he looks big.
That's just not good if that's the case. Vlade and the coaching staff just have to get him to get in shape. Either that or cut him and get it over with.