Harry Giles article: By, Harry Giles

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's a surprise to me. I mean I wouldn't have been surprised if he wound up neutered like Al Jefferson or Amare Stoudamire either. You never know with injuries like this. The Kings rolled the dice that the Duke Giles wasn't the real Giles and so far at least athletically, they're right.
Amare came back even stronger and better after his first injury in Phoenix, in major part thanks to their fantastic medical staff that helped Grant & Shaq play at their stage of their careers. Another thing, why bring up Al Jefferson? he was never some athletic specimen in college nor the pros.

Amare came back even stronger and better after his first injury in Phoenix, in major part thanks to their fantastic medical staff that helped Grant & Shaq play at their stage of their careers. Another thing, why bring up Al Jefferson? he was never some athletic specimen in college nor the pros.
Without getting into it too much, the point is that a slight hitch in a players athleticism can be the difference in becoming a perennial all star and just being a solid player for their career. I'm not going to pretend like Giles looking as athletic as his high school mixtapes comes as no surprise after 3 bad knee injuries. I've seen enough basketball to know that just 1 of these injuries can have a devastating impact on a career, let alone 3 of them.

Not sure if this was posted on here. Giles looks pretty fluid.
I don’t know who that is but that’s not Harry Giles from Duke. Duke Giles didn’t move half as fluid, quick or smooth as that guy in that video.

Also one of the best things I heard from Giles is him saying that he’ll bring defense, rebounding, and hustle. Other bigs on our team think there Porzingis instead of mastering things that would make them elite at the position

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like Giles' fluidity, but I don't like at all how he's practicing. What's up with the great Kings' basketball staff? Can't they see he's practicing incorrectly when he's at the corner 3 point line? Very lazy coaching and practicing. The guy should never be stepping out of bounds when he's at the corner 3 position and he should never have a foot go backwards when he is making a move toward the basket in that corner 3 position. He's basically practicing to step out of bounds on every possession he gets in that corner 3 area. COME ON KINGS' COACHING STAFF. WAKE UP!

Just curious, for all of those who covet Giles as our future franchise player and CWebb 2.0, what type of production do you expect him to have in his rookie year? What would be a successful season to you?

It would have to be something along the lines of 15ppg 8rp 2apg right?

Just curious, for all of those who covet Giles as our future franchise player and CWebb 2.0, what type of production do you expect him to have in his rookie year? What would be a successful season to you?

I don’t think anybody is expecting CWebb or that type of production.

We want a defensive big who is a good passer and is an all athlete player

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

those who are labeling him as the next franchise player or C-Webb type of player will set themselves up for disappointment. I'd be happy with a 10-8-2 rookie season or something along those lines...his rebounding should be productive considering that Skal and Willie don't do it, he will only be battling Z-Bo for boards. the 2 I put there is for his blocks, not assists, might be a bit too high so I'd probably put it at a 1.2 BPG and be fine with that for a rookie season. Set your expectations low and you won't be set up for failure should he not pan out and/or re-injure himself, hopefully not!

Also one of the best things I heard from Giles is him saying that he’ll bring defense, rebounding, and hustle. Other bigs on our team think there Porzingis instead of mastering things that would make them elite at the position
Who you talking about?

Does his name rhyme with Nilly Dolly Shine?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don’t expect him to get major minutes till after the all star break
Why on God's earth would you think that? He was physically ready to play last year, but the Kings decided to double down and make sure. If he's not ready to go from day one, then they might as well chuck the whole idea. One has to remember that both his knee injuries came from collisions with another player. So it's not a genetic or a weak knee thing, where a player comes down from a jump and the knee gives way. Like what happened to Webber. Both his injuries came from another player crashing into his knee and trying to bend it the wrong way. That makes a huge difference when dealing with knee injuries, and the expected recovery.

Ya the fact that non of his injuries were non contact is great

Why on God's earth would you think that? He was physically ready to play last year, but the Kings decided to double down and make sure. If he's not ready to go from day one, then they might as well chuck the whole idea. One has to remember that both his knee injuries came from collisions with another player. So it's not a genetic or a weak knee thing, where a player comes down from a jump and the knee gives way. Like what happened to Webber. Both his injuries came from another player crashing into his knee and trying to bend it the wrong way. That makes a huge difference when dealing with knee injuries, and the expected recovery.
I doubt it. He has been practicing with the team all year. He knows NBA speed and strength, at least on our team at the practice level all year. He'll contribute early I think.
I was thinking they’d bring him slowly they didn’t throw Bogdan/Fox into the fire. Trust me I hope I’m wrong but I could see them doing 16-24mpg before the break.

I've learned to expect nothing stat wise from Kings players. Whatever numbers are bouncing around in your head are normally double what they wind up with. I thought Hield was going to put up something like 18ppg while playing big minutes and that didn't happen at all.

I wouldn't doubt it at all if his minutes are restricted and/or taken by ZBo for half the year.

This is exactly what im expecting. Look at that handle! Love the strong powerful handle. Looks like a small forward skillset.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

I was thinking they’d bring him slowly they didn’t throw Bogdan/Fox into the fire. Trust me I hope I’m wrong but I could see them doing 16-24mpg before the break.
You don't see 20+ minutes as a significant number for a rookie? I don't think he'll be playing 35+, but probably 25+ relatively early in the season based on what we have been hearing out of his practices. He is still a rookie, but I think that is a good number of minutes (what I would consider "major") for a player.

You don't see 20+ minutes as a significant number for a rookie? I don't think he'll be playing 35+, but probably 25+ relatively early in the season based on what we have been hearing out of his practices. He is still a rookie, but I think that is a good number of minutes (what I would consider "major") for a player.
I hope you’re right

I think some of that had to do them learning their teammates and new offensive and defensive systems. Giles has been learning all of that this year.

To start I just hope he can be an agressive rebounder and use his physical traits to spark the defense. Honestly don't know what his offensive game will look like but if he just focuses on being aggressive to start he will provide something useful.
Ya me to I don’t care one bit about his offense I just want him to be a tenuous rebounder and defender

and at least do a couple of those double crossovers from that first video. The crowd would erupt if he did that in a game.
Those are the things that I wanted to remind fans of. Giles had the handles of a sg/sf. He had a variety of post moves and could finish with either hand. Some of his passing ability is also on display in these videos. And did anyone notice his very effective jump shot?